Islamic Forum
Al Furqaan

The Islamic Stand On Music

I am not muslim, I am studying Islam, I have said it many times. I am going to point out in my signature right now, after sending this message.

and one of the things I have learnt is that humans can't prohibit what God has not prohibited.

when the wod "music" appears in the Quranic verses is inside the brackets that humans have inluded into the verses, so, it is not by God

don't shout at me again , if again, I'll ignore your posts.

PropellerAds
Guest amani

alma...

because you are not muslim i would appreciate it if you do not question in such an arrogant way...Allah sent Muhammed SAW as an example ...we look at Muhammed SAW..what he did..what he said..everything he said whether it be in anger and as a joke was TRUE!!!!!!

Umar RA says:

when people come to you with unclear verses of the Quran DEFEAT them with the sunnah for the people of the sunnah know best.

so what does the sunnah tell us? music is haram!

If God has not forbidden it, it is not haram.

i am sorry but one thing i dont like is people who are NOT muslims..whom Allah SWT has put a seal on their hearts..who do not believe in Allah as their Lord and Muhammed SAW as the last prophet tellling me what is right and wrong in my religion

brothers and sisters...it is not right to listen or believe anything he/she says as she does not believe in what we believe.

alma...

because you are not muslim i would appreciate it if you do not question in such an arrogant way...Allah sent Muhammed SAW as an example ...we look at Muhammed SAW..what he did..what he said..everything he said whether it be in anger and as a joke was TRUE!!!!!!

Umar RA says:

when people come to you with unclear verses of the Quran DEFEAT them with the sunnah for the people of the sunnah know best.

so what does the sunnah tell us? music is haram!

i am sorry but one thing i dont like is people who are NOT muslims..whom Allah SWT has put a seal on their hearts..who do not believe in Allah as their Lord and Muhammed SAW as the last prophet tellling me what is right and wrong in my religion

brothers and sisters...it is not right to listen or believe anything he/she says as she does not believe in what we believe.

Exactly. :D

Please don't come and teach us our religion! We know it better than you who are guided by their vain desires

Amani, other two things I have learnt: Islam is not "your" religion, it doesn't belong to people who carry Arabic names or people who label themselves as muslims but to the whole humanity and tell me how non muslims approach Islam if it i not by studying it. Blind faith is not allowed either, so, the only way is increasing in knowledge, I am sure you know where those words are written.

Anyway, 'thank you very' much for advising your sisters and bothers to no listen to me, I can obtain information through other ways and always I can say where non muslism are not welcomed, I had beleived what another muslim said here, that Islam is inclusive, not exclusive and yes, this is the first time I feel excluded, I am studying for two years and I assure you this is the first time.

Guest amani
Amani, other two things I have learnt: Islam is not "your" religion, it doesn't belong to people who carry Arabic names or people who label themselves as muslims but to the whole humanity and tell me how non muslims approach Islam if it i not by studying it. Blind faith is not allowed either, so, the only way is increasing in knowledge, I am sure you know where those words are written.

Anyway, 'thank you very' much for advising your sisters and bothers to no listen to me, I can obtain information through other ways and always I can say where non muslism are not welcomed, I had beleived what another muslim said here, that Islam is inclusive, not exclusive and yes, this is the first time I feel excluded, I am studying for two years and I assure you this is the first time.

studying is fine

questioning isnt

Islam is for those who believe that there is none worthy of worship except Allah and Muhammed SAW is the Prophet of Allah.

You MUST believe this other wise you are not a muslim

regarding arab names...actually my name..so ive been told is actually hebrew :D my name is `safoora` and safoora comes from the name of the wife of Prophet Moosa AS..her name too was safoora.

and note i said LISTEN OR BELIEVE. reason why i said that? because if anyone of them think that your explanantion is right then that is wrong..your explanation is wrong as so they cannot believe it..so i am warning them

i hope Allah SWT guides you..but what you said has deeply ofended ME because you are questioning our beliefs..these beliefs we got from the Quran and Sunnah and anyone whos questions that..upsets me.

also i know a lot of non muslims studying Islam and they have said things like (heres an example)

in Islam there is no place where it says an adulterer must be stoned or killed. (depending or circumstanceS) now as a muslim i can say they ARE WRONG..totally WRONG and they say it is only `culture`

here it is.. Sure nisa

15. And those of your women who commit illegal sexual intercourse, take the evidence of four witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them (i.e. women) to houses until death comes to them or Allâh ordains for them some (other) way.[1]

16. And the two persons (man and woman) among you who commit illegal sexual intercourse, hurt them both.[2] And if they repent (promise Allâh that they will never repeat, i.e. commit illegal sexual intercourse and other similar sins) and do righteous good deeds, leave them alone. Surely, Allâh is Ever All-Forgiving (the One Who forgives and accepts repentance), (and He is) Most Merciful.

now this is just an example..the example on the top of my head..so you see..studying Islam is different to accepting Islam and becoming a muslim.

so i stand by what i said

peace Alma,

i believe your sincerity so i welcomed you..

Islam is the everybodys religion who wants to become moslem. it does not look for any race. - i am not arab-.... i am sure nobody wants to exclude you because of your questions as far as you are sincere...

i understand your effort in learning Islam.. i congratulate you..but we discuss music in detail we try to learn though we are moslems...

btw i believe you'll have beneficial information in this forum....:D

Assalamu alaikum,

That was a good read. JazakAllah khair brother Al-Furqaan for sharing it with us. It did lead me to a few questions, however. So inshaAllah, all the knowledable brothers and sisters, kindly expand on the following queries: (jazakAllah khair in advance. :D)

Music: Logically impermissible?

As a matter of fact, music is a satanic voice that deeply penetrates the human heart and stimulates in it destructive lustful desires, wreaks havoc on mans’ body and soul and fills his ears with obscenities.

How can listening to nasheeds by Sami Yusuf (which do contain music) become satanic influence or lead someone to evil?

Music is the voice of Satan with which he instigates human beings into perpetrating evil deeds and acts of disobedience.

Same question. How would the background musics in Harun Yahya videos make me become disobedient to Allah?

“O Omayyads! Keep away from music for it reduces modesty, increases lust and destroys man. It acts in the same way as alcohol and one who is under its influence acts like one who is drunk.�

Doesn't it totally depend on the content of the song? How do Islamic nasheeds with music create lust?

Music: Impermissible because of direct command?

“There will be some people among my nation who will regard fornication, wearing of silk (for men), drinking of intoxicants and stringed instruments as lawful.� (Al-Bukhaari and others)

Does that mean non-stringed instruments are permissible?

I have only forbidden you from making two foolish and horrible noises: a noise when playing and using the instrument of Satan...

What is meant by "instrument of satan"? Do all instruments fall in this catagory?

“Two sounds are accursed in this world and the hereafter: (the sound of) musical instruments in time of happiness and wailing during calamity.�(Al-Bazaar)

What if it's listened to at times when you are not happy?

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. Music, singing etc.) to mislead men from the path of Allah without knowledge and takes it (the path of Allah, or the verses of the Qur’an) by way of mockery. For such there will be humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).�(Luqmaan 31:6)

How can Sami Yusuf's nasheeds with Music be idle talks? They make me cry and get me the inspiration to reflect on many Islamic issues.

“And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allah’s disobedience),....(Al-Israa’ 17:64)

Evil songs with music leads us to desires and we fall into satan's trap. But lyrics that are pure and inspiring, or just the music w/ no lyrics (such as in H.Yahya documentaries as background) get us into Satan's trap?

JazakAllah khair for reading and please do clarify if you know the answers. Kindly site sources/evidence.

:w:

:D

So-called 'religious songs' cannot be religious songs if they have music in them. How can they? Our brothers and sisters gave you sufficient proof that music is haram. Now it's up to you on whether or not you will follow it (or will continue to do something just for the sake of pleasure).

:P

So-called 'religious songs' cannot be religious songs if they have music in them. How can they? Our brothers and sisters gave you sufficient proof that music is haram. Now it's up to you on whether or not you will follow it (or will continue to do something just for the sake of pleasure).

:D Sister,

JazakAllah khair for replying.

Please note that I am not saying it's permissible, neither i am saying it's imperssible, as the matter is not crystal clear to me.

To clarify let me state that from the proofs posted, it's obvious that string related musical instruments and songs that lead to immorality are prohibited.

My questions are mostly on specific knowledge, such as, how we came to the conclusion even non-stringed instruments are haraam and etc. (please read the previous post for the actual questions). I hope a detailed answer is forthcoming.

:P

:w:

Hmm...this topic again...

well the fact is to an extent music is haraam...nasheeds not being part of it. Whether one decides to follow that or ask questions in hope that they'll get what they want to hear is up to them.

studying is fine

questioning isnt

This is what I have to say to this :D

What I wanted to ask is, what about techno music or trance music? There are no lyrics most of the time. It is made using computers most of the time..

This is what I have to say to this  :D 

what the person meant is, too many unnecessary questioning isn't good...not to mention it'll get on people's nerves!

what the person meant is, too many unnecessary questioning isn't good...not to mention it'll get on people's nerves!

Yes stupid questions that are asked, just in order to contradict the other person are unnecessary, but otherwise i think questioning is quite a healthy thing.

Edited by d z e n a n a

Peace,

Aburafay wrote: "if music is haram.."

If

If humans want to make it haram, then, you know the word for that.

Peace Alma!

The use of the word 'If' does not mean that it is not prohibited from God. My opinion on this matter is very clear. I believe it is haram, and that the Qur'an and Sunnah both imply this. The ruling is mainly from the hadith that has been quoted oft times about the concern expressed by Rasool Allah :saa: that there will be people from his umma who will call zina, intoxicants and music halal. I used the word if only for those of my brothers and sisters who do not believe that it is haram.

As for you, I am very happy to learn that you are studying Islam. Insha Allah, you will find the Truth, as it does not evade a person who seeks it.

Peace out.

Salaam,

So much controversy in the Muslim world about the permissibility of music. Some scholars say music is haraam, others say it is allowed depending on if certain requirements are met. I think it's best to stay away from things that are doubtful. But then again, music isn't clearly prohibited in the Qur'an by name to be forbidden. It's not like Allah would forget to include such an important topic. There are also instances in sahih Bukhari where the prophet allowed the use of music and musical instruments. In all cases, I think things are best done in moderation. "Allah seeks not difficulty for you..." Try not to waste too much time with the things of this world, but do not impose hardships on other either.

I'm not being an extremist on any one of these sides. Take the middle path, as Islam is the middle but straight path.

Peace

Poeple quote the following verse to declare Music Haraam.

“But there are among men those who purchase idle tales  without knowledge (or meaning) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty.â€?- (Quran 31:6)

This ayat explains three characteristics of Idle Tales:

·It is used to deviate people.

·It is not based on knowledge or conviction.

·It makes Allah’s path ludicrous.

Those who associate Idle Tales with music, they are not right or correct, because music implies joy and happiness, and is not a misleading phenomenon. Nor is it ridiculing Allah’s ways, neither does it has anything to do with knowledge and conviction. They are merely part of stories and narrations.

Assalaamu 'alaikom,

The Best people in understanding the Quran were the companions, and the best from them was Ibn 'Abbas radiAllahu 'anhu. Pick up any reliable Tafsir (Ibn Kathir or Tabari etc), and you will find these quotes from them explaining what these verses mean. So it really doesnt matter what any scholar or person says about what these verses mean, as they all dont have the authority the Companions had in interpreting and explaining the meaning of the Quran. And the companions didnt learn the interpretation of these verses from anyone except the Prophet sulAllahu 'alayhi wassalaam.

==============================

=====

Allaah says in Soorat Luqmaan (interpretation of the meaning):

“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…� [Luqmaan 31:6]

The scholar of the ummah, Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: this means singing. Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means playing the drum (tabl). (Tafseer al-Tabari, 21/40).

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this aayah was revealed concerning singing and musical instruments (lit. woodwind instruments). (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/451).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this includes all manner of haraam speech, all idle talk and falsehood, and all nonsense that encourages kufr and disobedience; the words of those who say things to refute the truth and argue in support of falsehood to defeat the truth; and backbiting, slander, lies, insults and curses; the singing and musical instruments of the Shaytaan; and musical instruments which are of no spiritual or worldly benefit. (Tafseer al-Sa’di, 6/150)

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The interpretation of the Sahaabah and Taabi’in, that ‘idle talk’ refers to singing, is sufficient. This was reported with saheeh isnaads from Ibn ‘Abbaas and Ibn Mas’ood. Abu’l-Sahbaa’ said: I asked Ibn Mas’ood about the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘“And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks’ [Luqmaan 31:6]. He said: By Allaah, besides Whom there is no other god, this means singing – and he repeated it three times. It was also reported with a saheeh isnaad from Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that this means singing. There is no contradiction between the interpretation of “idle talk� as meaning singing and the interpretation of it as meaning stories of the Persians and their kings, and the kings of the Romans, and so on, such as al-Nadr ibn al-Haarith used to tell to the people of Makkah to distract them from the Qur’aan. Both of them are idle talk. Hence Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “Idle talk� is falsehood and singing. Some of the Sahaabah said one and some said the other, and some said both. Singing is worse and more harmful than stories of kings, because it leads to zinaa and makes hypocrisy grow (in the heart); it is the trap of the Shaytaan, and it clouds the mind. The way in which it blocks people from the Qur’aan is worse than the way in which other kinds of false talk block them, because people are naturally inclined towards it and tend to want to listen to it. The aayaat condemn replacing the Qur’aan with idle talk in order to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah without knowledge and taking it as a joke, because when an aayah of the Qur’aan is recited to such a person, he turns his back as if he heard them not, as if there were deafness in his ear. If he hears anything of it, he makes fun of it. All of this happens only in the case of the people who are most stubbornly kaafirs and if some of it happens to singers and those who listen to them, they both have a share of this blame. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan, 1/258-259).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“[Allaah said to Iblees:] And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice (i.e. songs, music, and any other call for Allaah’s disobedience)…� [al-Israa’ 17:64]

It was narrated that Mujaahid (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “And befool them gradually those whom you can among them with your voice� – his voice [the voice of Iblees/Shaytaan] is singing and falsehood. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This idaafah [possessive or genitive construction, i.e., your voice] serves to make the meaning specific, as with the phrases [translated as] “your cavalry� and “your infantry� [later in the same aayah]. Everyone who speaks in any way that is not obedient to Allaah, everyone who blows into a flute or other woodwind instrument, or who plays any haraam kind of drum, this is the voice of the Shaytaan. Everyone who walks to commit some act of disobedience towards Allaah is part of his [the Shaytaan’s] infantry, and anyone who rides to commit sin is part of his cavalry. This is the view of the Salaf, as Ibn ‘Abi Haatim narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas: his infantry is everyone who walks to disobey Allaah. (Ighaathat al-Lahfaan).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Do you then wonder at this recitation (the Qur’aan)?

And you laugh at it and weep not,

Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)�

[al-Najm 53:59-61]

‘Ikrimah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: it was narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas that al-sumood [verbal noun from saamidoon, translated here as “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)�] means “singing�, in the dialect of Himyar; it might be said “Ismidi lanaa� [‘sing for us’ – from the same root as saamidoon/sumood] meaning “ghaniy� [sing]. And he said (may Allaah have mercy on him): When they [the kuffaar] heard the Qur’aan, they would sing, then this aayah was revealed.

Ibn Katheer (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning) “Wasting your (precious) lifetime in pastime and amusements (singing)� – Sufyaan al-Thawri said, narrating from his father from Ibn ‘Abbaas: (this means) singing. This is Yemeni (dialect): ismad lana means ghan lana [sing to us]. This was also the view of ‘Ikrimah. (Tafseer Ibn Katheer).

It was reported from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not sell singing slave women, do not buy them and do not teach them. There is nothing good in this trade, and their price is haraam. Concerning such things as this the aayah was revealed (interpretation of the meaning): ‘And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e. music, singing) to mislead (men) from the path of Allaah…’ [Luqmaan 31:6].� (Hasan hadeeth)

Edited by Hashi Al-Eritre

Bismillah ar-rahman ar-rahim

aslamu alikom wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh

my input on this topic although i do not want to get involved i just wanted to mention something i dont remember seeing elsewhere in this topic:

Sometime in the life of Aadam (alayhi salaam) there were some people who followed shaitan and they lived in a valley (i am speaking purely from memory and so please forgive my vagueness) shaitan taught to them music and singing.

(i learned this from Dr Tariq As-Suweidans 'Qasas al Anbiya' lectures)

I dont know where As-Suweidan found this but i trust he would not have said it had it not been a reliable source, this tells us that shaitan taught Music and Singing to the people waaay back then subhanAllah, and weather or not rasool Allah sallallahu aleihi wa salam prohibited music (which i believe he did) would any muslim want to follow something that shaitan has taught to the humans to distract them from what is better for them and what will help them in al akhirah?

Also it is best to avoid doubtful matters, even if you dont believe it to be Haram, it is still clearly doubtful because it seems to be a topic which brings so much debate, so it is best to avoid doubtful matters.

Isnt there a hadith that says something along the lines of 'the angels will not enter a house where there is a dog or a bell'? so non stringed instruments weather they are heard from the radio or directly from the instrument, could be considered like a bell?

I would consider music to be idle talk (with regards to the Ayah many have mentioned) even anasheed (i enjoy anasheed without music however although i dont get too into it and VERY rarely listen to it because...) isnt it better for every muslim heart to spend their time listening to khutbahs or better yet Qur'an (i dont understand arabic but still find listening to Qur'an something that is beneficial to my deen and my eman) also to study Ahadith and Qur'an etc in order to increase knowledge which can only lead to increased eman.

and my last comment would be that as someone mentioned, it is better to busy ourselves with things that will help us in al-akhirah rather than things that will not even help us in dunya; even music with good lyrics is still something we waste our time on when we could be doing much better things and things that will help us rather than (potentialy) harm us if it is so that it is Haram

these are my comments inshaallah ta'ala i pray they are beneficial in helping some to understand or to think in a different way about music.

(i personally used to listen to music along with my husband ALL the time i have hundreds of CD's, however one day we just stopped and now i find it an annoyance and something which when i hear it i would never want to waste my time on it, i used to be a singer before i was muslim, and now i find no enjoyment in music whatsoever alhamdolillah i sometimes sing to myself and my daughter while i am at home alone doing chores, i dont find harm in this inshaAllah if i am wrong i would appreciate someone to give me daleel so i can correct my actions.

The same thing happened with TV, it used to be on 24/7, now it is a place to hang our sajadahs... but thats another discussion/debate)

i would greatly appreciate the help of a more knowledgable brother or sister to help me in finding the ayat and ahadith which i have made mention of inshaAllah i dont want to give my opinion but inshaAllah that it is aligned with qur'an and sunnah.

ma'a salaama

Umm Hana

Assalaamu 'alaikom,

i dont know the authenticity of the story, though its not something far-fetched to believe at all. We know it is shaytaan that led the people of the past into making shirk with Allah, (refer to: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.al-manhaj(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Page1.cfm?ArticleID=17"]Origins of shirk[/url] and it is shaytaan who has made it his only job to try and lead astray as many of the children of Adam as he can.

(Iblîs) said: "Because You have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your Straight Path. Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones." (Al-A'raf 7:17)

So it is Shaytaan's sole objective that he try to misguide as many of us as he can, and music is among the many ways he tries to lead us astray.

isnt it better for every muslim heart to spend their time listening to khutbahs or better yet Qur'an (i dont understand arabic but still find listening to Qur'an something that is beneficial to my deen and my eman) also to study Ahadith and Qur'an etc in order to increase knowledge which can only lead to increased eman.

Very true... and all music does is guide us farther away from dhikr of Allah, subhan Allah. The one preoccupied with music only wants to listen to more, their hearts become engrossed with the music thus forgeting to remember Allah.

(i personally used to listen to music along with my husband ALL the time i have hundreds of CD's, however one day we just stopped and now i find it an annoyance and something which when i hear it i would never want to waste my time on it,

Maashaa Allah, i used to be the same way, now i just find it extremely annoying. Though sometimes if i hear a song in the store or somewhere i used to listen to in my jahiliyah days, it causes something in my heart and i feel extremely bothered and disurbed, subhan Allah, Music really does turn someone away from the rememberance of Allah!

jazakiAllahu khairan sister.

wassalaamu 'alaikom

Controversial issues like this one, are often discussed repeatedly between moderate and strict Muslims. To save our members' time and minimize the confusion, specially for those new to Islam, we have prepared a centralized topic, where you can read what scholars had to say about each of the following issues. These issues should only be discussed each in its designated topic (some topics are prohibited to discuss in IF, and so you'll only be able to read what we have for you there). Please click the link of your issue of choice:

• (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25768"]Animation, Tv And Movies[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25764"]Bid'a[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25767"]Following A Madhab[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25762"]Growing A Beard[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25770"]How To Deal With Muslim Leaders[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25766"]How To Perform Prayer[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25769"]Images And Drawing[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25761"]Music[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25763"]Niqab[/url]
  • (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25765"]Tawassul[/url]