Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Remirol Nacnud

Things To Be Abstained From/banned In Islam

I was just wondering, what is the Islamic stance on 'new' drugs like ecstacy? Since they aren't mentioned in the Qur'an, are they to be considered 'wrong'?

You might argue that any 'mind altering drug' is 'wrong', but in that case, why is caffeine allowed?

Also, 'alocohol', as I understand it, is to be abstained from(but it is allowed, unlike pork) but exactly what is meant by 'alcohol'? Chemically, an alcohol is any compound that contains an -OH group. This is very common in chemistry so you'll find that it is contained within many drugs and medicines. Would you say that these should be 'abstained' from, or perhaps not, since they will not make you feel 'drunk'?

Commonly the word alcohol refers to ethanol, so you might interpret it in this way, so other alcohols would be allowed.

If you consider the Qur'an to be 'perfect' and a set of rules 'for all people at all times' then surely anything not mentioned in it cannot be considered to be wrong.(or not as wrong as the things that are mentioned.)

Drugs like ecstacy would be one issue, since they were not around at the time of the Qur'an so it would be understandable that they weren't mentioned. But what about opiates etc? Western society certainly views heroine as a worse vice than alcohol. How does the Muslim community view it? We're often led to believe that terrorist organisations are funded by opium farming carried out by communities such as those in Helmand. I'd be interested to know if such people sample their own product, or if they only do it for the money.

~Peace

~RN

PropellerAds

:D to all,

I was just wondering, what is the Islamic stance on 'new' drugs like ecstacy? Since they aren't mentioned in the Qur'an, are they to be considered 'wrong'?
but exactly what is meant by 'alcohol'?... Drugs like ecstacy would be one issue, since they were not around at the time of the Qur'an so it would be understandable that they weren't mentioned. But what about opiates etc?
Anything that alters the state of consciousness of a persons' mind is prohibited in Islam. When an individual is unaware of what he/she is doing because of a certain food/drink then that item is haram. Keeping in lieu of this, alcohol, and drugs are haram. Also in Islam the body has a right over you too. You cannot abuse your body. So one should be mindful of that and not harm the body intentionally by taking drugs and all.

why is caffeine allowed?
I belive i've answered this. Caffeine doesn't change the consciousness of a person. If anything most people become more alert after having coffee.

Also, 'alocohol', as I understand it, is to be abstained from(but it is allowed, unlike pork)
It is clearly written in Quran to abstain from alcohol. It is not permitted. Where are you getting your information from??

:D

From Quran

YUSUFALI: O ye who believe! Intoxicants and gambling, (dedication of) stones, and (divination by) arrows, are an abomination,- of Satan's handwork: eschew such (abomination), that ye may prosper.

YUSUFALI: Satan's plan is (but) to excite enmity and hatred between you, with intoxicants and gambling, and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah, and from prayer: will ye not then abstain?

Ecstasy and opiates are DEFINITLEY haraam.

Speaking from personal experience the two drugs you've mentioned are probably the most seductive drugs on the earth. X gives people false emotions and makes you think you love everyone and makes people commit zina. Opiates will make you neglect prayer because, trust me, if you do enough opiates you will do ANYTHING to make that top priority and acheive them at any cost. This is because your body is used to producing more endorphins and when you go back to your normal endorphine level you experience the worst withdrawals ever. It will give you horrible muscle aches, any little thing will make you nauseous and throw up, headaches, diahreah, etc.

I quit using opiates the day before ramadan and still every day it's a battle not to go back. A little voice in my head is constantly saying "just once more, just once more". This is why I consider opiates a form of idolatry because it will come before God in your life. When i'm at school the only thing I think about all day long is opiates, once you get the craving it's impossible to get rid of. I also get the worst feeling of anxiety anytime I hear anything about drugs, especially morphine, heroin, OC's, methadone, opium, etc. They are WITHOUT A DOUBT haraam. Stay away from them AT ALL COSTS! I can't explain to you with words how horrible your life will become if you get started on that garbage, they just feel too good to not get hooked on. The horrible thing is that I never know if tomorrow i'm going to go back or not, the temptation is almost too hard to resist, it becomes a daily battle and life is hard enough without things like that.

PEace

by the way, about the alcohol.

You have to use your reason with things like this. It doesn't matter what the molecular structure of a substance is, you have to look at the purpose behind it. They didn't know about things like that at the time, so alcohol refers to ethyl alcohol only. It was prohibited because it intoxicates you which is why drugs fall under the category of haraam. And it is never permissible to drink liquids containing ethanol. On the other hand, it is alright to put Isopropyl alcohol on a scrape or cut, even though it's called alcohol, because people aren't going to drink it to alter their consciousness.

Peace

I quit using opiates the day before ramadan and still every day it's a battle not to go back. A little voice in my head is constantly saying "just once more, just once more". This is why I consider opiates a form of idolatry because it will come before God in your life. When i'm at school the only thing I think about all day long is opiates, once you get the craving it's impossible to get rid of. I also get the worst feeling of anxiety anytime I hear anything about drugs, especially morphine, heroin, OC's, methadone, opium, etc. They are WITHOUT A DOUBT haraam. Stay away from them AT ALL COSTS! I can't explain to you with words how horrible your life will become if you get started on that garbage, they just feel too good to not get hooked on. The horrible thing is that I never know if tomorrow i'm going to go back or not, the temptation is almost too hard to resist, it becomes a daily battle and life is hard enough without things like that.

Brother I pray that Allah makes this struggle as easy for you as possible. I hope Allah will give you strength to stay away from these evil things.

I was also a week smoker and its not easy to quit something even as mild as pot, so I cant imagine how hard it is to stay away from heroin.

Peace

Well, perhaps the exact wording has been bastardised through translation, but I thought that the verses concerning things like pork were much more forbidding than those concerning alcohol.

"You are forbidden to eat carrion...etc etc."

"You who believe, intoxicants and gambling...shun them so that you may prosper"

To forbid something is one thing, but being advised to shun something sounds more like 'advice' than a rule to be obeyed.

Also I think you'll find that Muslims who think it is acceptible to eat pork are much rarer(or more likely non existent) than those who think it is acceptible to consume alcohol.

For instance, I have several Muslim friends, although they are not strict. One is a male who, like most students, likes to go out and not only drink, but drink to excess. Another female friend of mine once had half a shot of tequilla to 'see what it was like'. She said that deliberately consuming pork would be a one way ticket to hell, but consuming the alcohol is a different matter.

Also, if you go to places like Egypt you'll find many 'Muslim' men around the resorts that quite happily drink beer.

I've been given the impression by several people that alcohol was more 'advised against' than 'forbidden' but that over the years the prohibition of alcohol became a part of the culture.

Ofcourse, I would agree that opiates can be terribly addictive and detrimental to your health over a long period of time. But what of more of the 'softer' drugs? If you are going to say that caffeine does not effect your consciousness, so it is allowed, then there would be many other drugs such as marijuana which certainly have an effect but most people would not consider to be 'mind altering'. When comparing such drugs to LSD, which can supposedly convince you that you can fly or that spiders are crawling beneath your skin, they are rather tame experiences.

At what point would you consider something to be 'mind altering'? Some things can make you hallucinate, but others like alcohol do not but they certainly impare your judgement. You may consider drugs like caffeine, marijuana and ecstacy to be 'OK' because they do not impare your ability to make decisions.

You could argue that caffeine is different because it makes you 'more aware' but this line of argument would lead to trouble as cocaine would also make you more aware. The effect is stronger ofcourse, but if you were to lower the dosage then you could get practically the same effect. But both, after the effects have worn off, will dull your senses.

So what is the major consideration? Should the rule not be to avoid alcohol etc, but to avoid intoxication through such means? Forbidding particular substances may leave holes in your argument, but forbidding intoxication will give you a more blanket rule.

For instance, there are people(rare) who have a particular susceptibility to certain drugs, such as caffeine. Consuming caffeine for some people can make them more drunk than if they consumed alcohol.

~Peace

~RN

Alcohol is only permisable when it is a matter of life and death.

But that doesnt mean that we can drink an entire bottle of Jack Daniels 'because i am thirsty!', drink in moderation.

Peace

Brother I pray that Allah makes this struggle as easy for you as possible. I hope Allah will give you strength to stay away from these evil things.

I was also a week smoker and its not easy to quit something even as mild as pot, so I cant imagine how hard it is to stay away from heroin.

Peace

Actually, this is quite an interesting issue. Recent studies have shown that marijuana comes with a purely mental addiction. It is very different from nicotine or opiates, where the body is actually chemically addicted to the substance.

I'd also like to show my support for Selby in his struggle against addiction. Stay strong, find your will power and you can stay clean. :D

Actually, I completely forgot to mention tobacco before.

Is tobacco allowed in Islam? It's certainly less mind altering than coffee.

~Peace

~RN

Actually, this is quite an interesting issue. Recent studies have shown that marijuana comes with a purely mental addiction.

Actually heres the funny thing. Marijuana for me was way more mentally addictive than cigarettes. I have stopped smoking marijuana 2 years ago, but even today I sometimes still get dreams in which I am smoking pot. I continually have a great urge to smoke it even though its been 2 years since I quit. CIgarettes on the other hand never had much of an addictive effect on me. I started smoking cigarettes at 14 and I quit after a few months of heavy smoking because It affected my physical abilities too much (I played sports at the time) a year or so later I tried again for a month or so of heavy smoking but the more I smoked the less I was interested in it. The reason I took up smoking tobacco is I wanted to see if its really that addictive, and for me thankfully it wasnt. I havent used it since except on rare occasions at parties and stuff.

So what im saying is, different things affect different people differently :D

Peace

Ofcourse, I would agree that opiates can be terribly addictive and detrimental to your health over a long period of time. But what of more of the 'softer' drugs? If you are going to say that caffeine does not effect your consciousness, so it is allowed, then there would be many other drugs such as marijuana which certainly have an effect but most people would not consider to be 'mind altering'. When comparing such drugs to LSD, which can supposedly convince you that you can fly or that spiders are crawling beneath your skin, they are rather tame experiences.

At what point would you consider something to be 'mind altering'? Some things can make you hallucinate, but others like alcohol do not but they certainly impare your judgement. You may consider drugs like caffeine, marijuana and ecstacy to be 'OK' because they do not impare your ability to make decisions.

First off, marijuana IS mind altering. I began smoking 'erb daily in 8th grade and it completely takes away all motivation. I used to always argue that it was harmless, but now that i've quit I notice i'm alot more outgoing and don't just want to sit on a couch and eat cheeto's all day.

And how can you say extacy doesn't impair your ability to make discisions? It completely messes up your emotions, and makes it MUCH harder to resist the temptation to commit zina.

First off, marijuana IS mind altering. I began smoking 'erb daily in 8th grade and it completely takes away all motivation. I used to always argue that it was harmless, but now that i've quit I notice i'm alot more outgoing and don't just want to sit on a couch and eat cheeto's all day.

And how can you say extacy doesn't impair your ability to make discisions? It completely messes up your emotions, and makes it MUCH harder to resist the temptation to commit zina.

As was said before, different drugs effect different people in different ways. Some people smoke mary and find themselves becoming lazy and not wanting to do anything. Some people can smoke it and remain as active as ever. Should the effect on one person mean that the other should avoid it?

I think that here the term 'mind altering' is the route of the problem. Any drug alters the mind, even coffee. Whether you think it is a positive or negative alteration depends on the person.

Normally when referring to 'mind altering' we mean that the decisions one will make are greatly changed. For instance, alcohol in large amounts can make many people violent(although I have never found this to be the case, perhaps because I am a deep down pacifist) even if they are not when sobre.

Often when waking up after a night of drinking you might think "holy mackerel, what did I do last night? WHY did I do that?!" but you're much less likely to say such a thing after taking mary or ecstacy. But I have limited experience of such things and have to go by the opinions of others.

You may have to enlighten me, what is zina?

~Peace

~RN

Zina is adultery, fornication, having sexual intercourse without being married to the person.

Allah (SWT)'s order in the Quran to stay away from Zina.

"And those who invoke not any other god along with Allah, nor kill such life as Allah has forbidden, except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse (zina) and whoever does this shall receive the punishment. The torment will be doubled to him on the Day of Resurrection, and he will abide therein in disgrace; except those who repent and believe and do righteous deeds, for those Allah will change their sins into good deeds, and Allah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful." (al-Furqaan #25, ayat #68-70)

"And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a faahishah (a great sin) and an evil way." (Sura Al-Israa # 17 ayah # 32)

Imaam al-Qurtubi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: The ulama said that the phrase And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse is more eloquent than merely saying Do not commit zinaa, because the meaning is, Do not even come close to zinaa. This means not doing any deed that may get close to zinaa or lead to it, such as being alone with a member of the opposite sex, touching, looking, going to evil places, speaking in a haraam manner to a woman to whom one is not related, thinking about and planning immoral acts, and so on.

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from Zina illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

Inshallah that has helped.:D

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

:D to all,

Anything that alters the state of consciousness of a persons' mind is prohibited in Islam. When an individual is unaware of what he/she is doing because of a certain food/drink then that item is haram. Keeping in lieu of this, alcohol, and drugs are haram. Also in Islam the body has a right over you too. You cannot abuse your body. So one should be mindful of that and not harm the body intentionally by taking drugs and all.

Asalamu'alaikum,

Um, common 'table sugar' alters the state of consciousness. Eating a banana alters the state of one's consciousness. I would suggest that 'anything taken for the express purpose' to alter the state of one's consciousness is an abuse of one's consciousness. Altering ones 'state' for the express purpose of entertainment or distraction would be in keeping with the 'spirit of the law'. Grasping the 'spirit of the law' is, in my humble opinion, grasping the underlying rationale for our purpose in life. It isn't the fact that 'all achohol' has to be banded that is important, it's the fact that such things as achohol and other things that are haram can and do lead individuals away from one's intended purpose, a life in service of Allah All-Knowing All-Wise into a life of 'self-centeredness' and 'self-distraction'.

What are your thoughts?

I belive i've answered this. Caffeine doesn't change the consciousness of a person. If anything most people become more alert after having coffee.

Positive or negative is an 'altered-consciousness'.

It is clearly written in Quran to abstain from alcohol. It is not permitted. Where are you getting your information from??

The next reasonable question is 'why'... Once you begin to answer this question the purpose of our lives begins to be told.

Salaam

Nothing wrong with enjoying life.

Alchohol was banned cuz some people abused it and made fools of themselves.

It's all about moderation. A glass of red wine here and there is good for you.

Nothing wrong with enjoying life.

Alchohol was banned cuz some people abused it and made fools of themselves.

It's all about moderation. A glass of red wine here and there is good for you.

Hi

Moderation is kinda dum. Some people will get carried away and lose control. Thats why I think for harmful things 0 access is best. Look at alchohol. There is no benifit in it so whats the point of moderating it. A glass of red wine? Why not have a glass of fruit juice? Moderation will never ever work because there are always those people who will get carried away, and think its a free for all. Yes Modertation for you might work, but it does bring you harm in the long term. Its better for you to choose healtier alternatives... Moderation on good things such as fruit juice is okay :D.

There is no benifit in it

Not true brother.

They ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit." [2:119]