Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Remirol Nacnud

Mohammad Coming 'out Of Sequence'

I was flipping through the Qur'an the other day(looking for a quote for another topic) when I came across a passage that interested me and I remember being interested by it when I first read it.

It explained why Mohammad was a prophet that came 'out of sequence', because the words of the other prophets(for Jews and Christians) had been altered so they had lost their way.

I'm assuming that this refers to the prophets coming every 2000 years- Jesus came at the start of the age of Pisces and we are now entering the age of Aquarius. But the passages in the Qur'an aren't very specific when it comes to these matters, leaving us only with the Torah, Bible etc as references to help us interpret these passages, which seems insufficient since the passages themselves discredit these sources.

But I've also seen people on these forums say that there were thousands of prophets(although not all started religions ofcourse). There can't have been thousands of prophets AND them come every 2000 years since the (conservative)Jewish/Christian/Islamic religions maintain that the Earth is only about 6 thousand years old.(but figures vary ofcourse)

So can anyone tell me a little bit more about this 'sequence'? For instance, did Abraham come about two thousand years after Adam, and so on and so on?

Also, do we expect any more prophets? The message sent through Mohammad supposedly 'completes' or 'perfects' the religion, so you might interpret that as there being no more prophets, but is there any explicit statement that says that there will be no more?

If Mohammad came out of sequence, but the sequence continued, then either we would be expecting another prophet sometime soon(two thousand years after Jesus) or in about 600 years(two thousand after Mohammad).

Also, the Jews are supposed to have rejected Jesus saying that he is not the 'Messiah' and are still awaiting the Christs arrival. But didn't they expect the Christ two thousand years ago?

-as a little side note, whilst I think of it. I know that Muslims don't consider Jesus to be the son of god(which I consider to be semantics anyway) but do they consider him to be the Messiah? Perhaps Muslims don't consider the 'prophecies' about a 'son of God like a lamb to the slaughter' to be reliable or accurate to the story of Jesus, or any of the prophecies or beliefs in a Christ to be important-

I'd appreciate any additional information anyone can give me.

~Peace

~RN

PropellerAds
Guest amani

Peace

can you please provide the verse you are referring to...

Peace

can you please provide the verse you are referring to...

Unfortunately I don't have my copy of the Qur'an with me. I've tried searching through some online Qur'ans for the word 'sequence' but it doesn't appear. I'm struggling to think of any other words that 'sequence' may be translated as. Perhaps 'pattern' or something, but nothing I can think of gives me any results. This really is rather frustrating.

Well, could anyone answer some of my questions that don't require a direct reference to the quote? Or if someone could find the quote I'm thinking of, that'd be grand.

~Peace

~RN

Peace

The Quran gives us an exact name of all the previous prophets. I dont know the exact number but I believe its a few dozens. Also, there were messengers (different from prophets) sent to every different nation on earth to tell them about Allah, the One and Only God. Prophets and messengers are different somewhat and I dont have time to explain right now im in a big hurry.

Also, the Quran tells us that Muhammad(pbuh) was the LAST and FINAL Propet. THere will not be ANY prophet OR messenger or any other man sent by God for humanity after him.

We as muslims consider Jesus(pbuh) a Great Prophet but not the son of God. We believe he was NOT crucified but instead he was raised up to the heavens and will come back to save the world (fight the ANti-Christ). The Second coming of Jesus will be when he DESCENDS FROM HEAVEN (he wont be born since he didnt die).

Peace

:D/Peace To All

The Quran mentions only 25 Prophet's (Peace Be Upon Them) by name. The top five Prophets' Are: Muhammed (PBUH), Jesus (PBUH), Moses (PBUH), Abraham (PBUH), and Noah (PBUH).

Allah (SWT) stated in the Quran that there were some Messengers he had informed us of, and other's He chose not to inform us of.

But Allah (SWT) did state that every nation has been sent a Messenger.

I believe the amount of centuries that separated the Revelation of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH) and the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) were 600 years, not the 2000 you mentioned.

I've also read (somewhere) that the teaching of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH) were followed precisely in the first 300 years after his Revelation, but after that, his teachings became corrupted by the tampering of the clergy.

And there is a verse in the Quran which states that the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) is the seal (last) of all Messengers ..

:D/Peace To All

I believe the amount of centuries that separated the Revelation of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH) and the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) were 600 years, not the 2000 you mentioned.

Yes, I know, that's why Mohammad is supposed to be 'out of sequence'.

I've also read (somewhere) that the teaching of the Prophet Jesus (PBUH) were followed precisely in the first 300 years after his Revelation, but after that, his teachings became corrupted by the tampering of the clergy.

I know that it was about 300 years before the clergy decided upon the trinity(at a meeting in constntinople I think) which might be the corruption you refer to. Also there are several documents, such as the second letter of Paul in the bible, that are widely regarded as being fabricated, but I'm not sure of the date of when this happened.

I'd always thought that the Christian faith was supposed to have 'gone astray' sooner than that. The Gnostic gospels differ quite widely from those in the bible(although those have contradictions between them) and as far as I know were written much sooner than after 300 years.

~Peace

~RN

that's why Mohammad is supposed to be 'out of sequence'.

Scholars say that there had been some 124,000 Prophets sent to the world. By name, 25 are mentionned in the Holy Qur'an.

God Almighty says: "Of some apostles We have already told thee the story; of others We have not;" [Holy Qur'an 4:164]

There is nothing like a 2000 years sequence. God knows best where and when to send His Messengers.

Edited by Islam Forever

AND them come every 2000 years since the (conservative)Jewish/Christian/Islamic religions maintain that the Earth is only about 6 thousand years old.(but figures vary ofcourse)

What on earth made you come to that conclusion?

Peace be upon those who follow guidance

There is no sequence in the coming of Prophets(pbut), certainly not of two thousand years. For example, between Adam(pbuh) and Abraham(pbuh) there was Noah(pbuh). Furthermore, Abraham, Isaac, Ismael, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Aaron, Joshua, Samuel, Elijah, Jonah, Zacharias the father of John the Baptist, John Baptist, Jesus were Prophets(pbut) and they certainly didn't come in two thousand year patterns. A lot of them succeeded one another. Abraham(pbuh) was succeeded by Isaac, Ismael, Jacob and Joseph; Joshua succeeded Moses; John succeeded his father Zacharias; John and Jesus were alive at the same time. The Qur'an says that Muhammad(pbuh) came after a break in the series of Prophets(pbut) - i.e there was no Prophet between Jesus, who was the second last Prophet, and Muhammad(pbut)

After Muhammad(pbuh) there is no Prophet, he is the Seal of Prophets (Qur'an 33:40).

Muslims believe Jesus(pbuh) to be the Messiah but we don't believe him to be "a lamb of God" as per Christian ideology nor do we consider him to be "a lamb of God" generally speaking. We believe that he wasn't killed nor crucified.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz

Peace

I certainly havent heard of the 2000 year difference between each prophet! But can you imagine that just 300 years after Jesus, people corrupted His teaching so why would God wait another 1700 years before sending another prophet?

The difference between a Prophet & a Messenger is that when a prophet comes, He lays down laws i.e Bible, Torah & Quran, wheras when a messenger comes, He just reiterates the law of the previous prophet. so all messengers that came between Moses & Jesus reiterated teachings of Moses.

The difference between a Prophet & a Messenger is that when a prophet comes, He lays down laws i.e Bible, Torah & Quran, wheras when a messenger comes, He just reiterates the law of the previous prophet. so all messengers that came between Moses & Jesus reiterated teachings of Moses.

:sl:

Erm, this is not true. Otherwise it would mean that between Moses and Jesus there were no other Prophets(pbut) which is definately false. The Qur'an specifically mentions that the children of israel used to belie and kill Prophets that were sent to them. Check out verses 2:61, 2:91.

Erm, this is not true. Otherwise it would mean that between Moses and Jesus there were no other Prophets(pbut) which is definately false. The Qur'an specifically mentions that the children of israel used to belie and kill Prophets that were sent to them. Check out verses 2:61, 2:91.

sorry i did it the wrong way around it should be:

"According to the Muslim scholar al-Baydawi, a messenger establishes a new religious law (sharia) whereas a prophet continues an old one" - (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Prophets_of_Islam"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Prophets_of_Islam[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbci(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam-bahai/Nabi.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetbci(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam-bahai/Nabi.htm[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_askamuslimnow.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2008/02/prophet-vs-messenger.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_askamuslimnow.blogspot(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/2008/02/...-messenger.html[/url]