34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you eat it?

• No (due to the name of the product)
    • yes (Ingredients arent haraam)
    • Other (see below_

:D

I guess its ok then..

but I doubt I would eat it. It just sounds soooooo nasty! :D

Halal meat stores sell "halal bacon" (which is made from beef) and which we have gotten before.

I've also heard they sell "ham" which is made from turkey but i guess tastes like ham! thats sooooo gross! I would never ever ever eat that! this one lady I know got it before, and ew yuck.. she was enjoying it tho...

PropellerAds
:D

she was enjoying it tho...

Assalamu Alaikum

That's my point about flavours imitating the real thing. Some people may eat and like it, and think hey pig doesn't taste bad at all, and could (not would) lead to them to eating the real thing one day.

Edited by [email protected]

Asalamu Alaikum,

As long as it does not contain any pork I see no harm. I eat turkey Bacon all the time and we have a halal pizza place here that uses beef and turkey ingredients instead of the pork ones but they keep the names the same. I was so happy when I found them because I could finally get sausage on my pizza again! I can understand how those who have never eaten pork may feel disgusted by the word "bacon" but maybe it's different as a convert. :D Hmmmm..... Maybe I'll order pizza tonight! :D

Asalamu Alaikum,

I just wanted to add something for those who say it may tempt you to eat the real thing. I stopped eating pork about 6 years ago and have never been tempted to have any and even felt quite awful if I found I had accidentally eaten some. If you find the halal versions tastes good I guess you would be less tempted to have real pork because now you have a great substitute, right?

Assalamu Alaikum

Bacon means thin slices of meat cut from pork.

The word "bacon" in "Turkey bacon" and "beef bacon" refers to the way it is CUT, when you eat a "turkey bacon" all you're doing is eating turkey that tastes like turkey. It imitiates bacon in the way it's CUT and how it LOOKS, not the TASTE.

This thread is about crisps/chips/snacks that imitates the TASTE of pork.

As a born muslim I don't know what pork tastes like and I don't want to know either. I just realised all the replies that say it's ok have all come from converts, maybe for them it's a stepping stone to come off pork, that's ok, but personally I don't know why any muslim, born or convert would want to eat something that imitates the taste or even the look of bacon (pork).

Assalam Alaikum

The Second option goes for me :D

Salaams,

Even if i was so sure that there wasn't any bacon in it, there'd be NO way I'd come near it! The thought of food with the name of bacon on it turns my stomach.

You know, in many Arab countries, there's a non-pig pepperoni and I know a few Arabs who LOVE to eat it when they travel to Middle East. The sight of it turns me off! Ew

Peace

My Husband was born and raised in Muslim country and he has no problem eating beef sausage, beef pepperoni, turkey bacon or any of the tofu/soy alternatives. I believe there to be nothing haram in any of them but for some it's all in their heads. As for imitating the taste, well the same thing goes with non-alcoholic beer, personally I wouldn’t drink it but it’s sold in almost all the halal stores I’ve seen.

:D Reminds me of when I was a child and I ate olives and became very ill with the flu shortly after. The olives did me no harm but since then, I can't stand to eat them… all in my head. :D

Salam!

Well, I would like to say without offending anyone, that some of the members did not really answer the question to whether or not they would eat it? :sl: Answering "eww" being it is food reguardless of it being halal or haram, is just wrong. :sl: Food is rizak, and no one should mock or be disgusted by it. The question of would you eat it or not, considering it is not haram, is a possibility.... :j:

i dont think people should get all worked up about this. people think about bacon and go :sl: im gonna spew!!! I mean, who says its disgusting, we're just not allowed to eat it. i mean a lot of muslims hate pigs full stop. Why? we can only not eat them, we dont have to hate them, they are still creatures of Allah, i mean come on. :sl:

Oh and i wudnt eat it but either, the fact that its called bacon throws u off.

:sl:

^^ what a strange thing to immitate

I would. I think the reason bacon flavor is imitated it not about the flavor of pork itself( which I don't like) It is the smoky flavor that is being imitated. smoky flavor i like. Smoke like cooked over wood fire, not tobacco smoke