Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ahsan

N. Korea's No. 2 Official Warns Of Further Tests

By Anthony Faiola

Washington Post Foreign Service

Thursday, October 12, 2006

North Korea's second most powerful political figure, Kim Yong Nam, indicated Wednesday that the communist state would carry out further nuclear tests if the United States did not change what he called its "hostile attitude."

Kim's remarks were the first public comment from a high-ranking North Korean official since the secretive government announced a nuclear test on Monday. He added that North Korea would refuse to return to stalled six-party talks aimed at its nuclear disarmament unless the United States dropped sanctions imposed in September 2005 that target North Korea's alleged counterfeiting and other illegal businesses.

The Foreign Ministry, meanwhile, said North Korea would consider increased U.S. pressure "a declaration of a war."

"The issue of future nuclear tests is linked to U.S. policy toward our country," Kim told Kyodo on Wednesday. "If the United States continues to take a hostile attitude and apply pressure on us in various forms, we will have no choice but to take physical steps to deal with that."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.washingtonpost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/11/AR2006101100346.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.washingtonpost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wp-dyn/conte...6101100346.html[/url]

PropellerAds
go go go North Korea

I'm sure the South Koreans and Japanese agree with your stance. :D

It's sad that your hatred runs so deep, that you're willing to support North Korea. North Korea is nothing like Iran.

go go go North Korea

Yeah, go go go North Korea

If there's a war it would be fairly contained in Asia, probably involving Japan China, and as nuclear powers maybe India and Pakistan. As India is superior to Pakistan in just about any way imaginable, they'll pummel the hell out of Pakistan. Go go go India.

I am of course joking, but idiots like you just cause the worlds problems.

Salams...

Well, im half south-korean...and i dont agree with KinJongils policies...But i still believe N.Korea has the right to nuclear weapons and ofcourse testing them too...I dont understand the hype about the tests...The US tests nuclear devices underground, on ground, under sea and even in the past, in space, redering some foreign satellites redundant ive heard. Countries even conduct nuclear tests on different continents to their own. If the US tests a nuclear device...its almost entertainment..

They should be allowed to test their weaponry...Like an military should be...Besides...5 kilotonnes,,..probs need to fix a few things...and test again...lol

Also, I highly doubt N.Korea would launch a preemptive strike against the US...or any country...i believe it just acts as a deterrent...

I hope that North Korea used its Right of preemptive strike against US.

lol [at] India

Right of preemptive strike? What is this right you are talking about? Please, elaborate.

Right of preemptive strike? What is this right you are talking about? Please, elaborate.

I think, he meant to say that North Korea went for nuclear test in defiance of US threats, before US could do anything to stop them.

I think, he meant to say that North Korea went for nuclear test in defiance of US threats, before US could do anything to stop them.

Please let iftikharalam answer for himself.

A test is not a strike.

Unlike Iran, the US is not alone in opposing North Korea. Even China thinks North Korea is crazy. The only allies of North Korea are US haters.

Peace

huh, i dont think US has the right to think anything about N Korea... after all... who is the one who used their nuclear weapons...

i still find it strange that america did nothing to N Korea who were openly saying they have Nukes, but attack iraq that kept denying they had any.

What right US used in attacking Iraq? If North Korea think that US is threat for their socerignity than they can also follow the foot steps of Americans, as US show this way to the world? or preemptive strike is just for Americans and israel to use? I wish your reply don't have any hypocricy

As India is superior to Pakistan in just about any way imaginable, they'll pummel the hell out of Pakistan. Go go go India.

Wishful thinking. They are not in a position. had they been, they would have launched the war against Pakistan during stand off few years ago, when they had to call their forces back, despite spending billions on their mobilisation and they faced criticism from public at their home front, Like israel faced after the recent war. Sorry being off-toipc, but felt it important to clarify your doubt.

Unlike Iran, the US is not alone in opposing North Korea. Even China thinks North Korea is crazy. The only allies of North Korea are US haters.

The US attacked Afghanistan and Iraq and compelled its allies and rest of the world to believe through lies that the wars were justified and now the results are known to all of us. If US continues to behave in the similar manner, you will see other countries to go nuclear as well, Iran and Syria being at the top.

What right US used in attacking Iraq? If North Korea think that US is threat for their socerignity than they can also follow the foot steps of Americans, as US show this way to the world? or preemptive strike is just for Americans and israel to use? I wish your reply don't have any hypocricy

The US didn't invoke any "right" when attacking Iraq. Regardless, the reality is might makes right. North Korea doesn't have the power to attack the US, with or without a successful nuclear weapon test. This isn't about the US, anyway. North Korea is threatening South Korean and Japanese security, not the US. The US is involved because South Korea and Japan are allies.

What does israel have to do with this? Is it even possible to have a discussion with a Muslim where israel is not mentioned?

The US attacked Afghanistan and Iraq and compelled its allies and rest of the world to believe through lies that the wars were justified and now the results are known to all of us. If US continues to behave in the similar manner, you will see other countries to go nuclear as well, Iran and Syria being at the top.

This has nothing to do with North Korea.

The US didn't invoke any "right" when attacking Iraq. Regardless, the reality is might makes right. North Korea doesn't have the power to attack the US, with or without a successful nuclear weapon test. This isn't about the US, anyway. North Korea is threatening South Korean and Japanese security, not the US. The US is involved because South Korea and Japan are allies.

What does israel have to do with this? Is it even possible to have a discussion with a Muslim where israel is not mentioned?

hmmmmmmmm, what is your point? you want to say right now America is might so every thing is right for america, they can have nuclear bombs, they can attack others, while this right is not for others like Iran, and North korea? Even when they are threatened again and again, even than they cannot have any weapons? israel is the root cause of every evil and US forign policy revolves around the safety of israel.

Regardless, the reality is might makes right.

Agreed, so whats the problem, if North Korea and Iran are following the same reality? For how long, will the world keep suffering from "Unilaterally Assured Destruction"?

Slahswrist, Ofcourse this situation involves the USA...The usa isnt in it just because of its allies...You dont even know how most southkoreans feel about N.Korea. N.korea is/has developed long range missiles, capable of striking western USA...They had a test of the missile, which failed. Their missile capabilities (taepodong II) are capable of 4000 km...Their problem is, they need to adapt the missile to carry the heavy nuclear warhead. It is only a matter of time before they develop this technology, so it is a direct threat to US interests. Besides, the US has thousands of troops in southkorea which can be struck by N.korea, infact that would be N.ks first target if it were to attack S.korea. I dont understand how you say USa is only involved because of its allies. USA and north Korea are practically neighbours.

Edited by AbdAllah

hmmmmmmmm, what is your point? you want to say right now America is might so every thing is right for america, they can have nuclear bombs, they can attack others, while this right is not for others like Iran, and North korea?

You might not like it, but that's how it works.

Even when they are threatened again and again, even than they cannot have any weapons?

Do you think North Korea is an innocent little country, being picked on by the US? North Korea has levelled many threats and both South Korea and Japan.

israel is the root cause of every evil and US forign policy revolves around the safety of israel.

And with this statement, welcome to ignore. You obviously don't care about facts.

As India is superior to Pakistan in just about any way imaginable, they'll pummel the hell out of Pakistan. Go go go India.

I am of course joking, but idiots like you just cause the worlds problems.

lets not india and pakistan bomb each other, the fools have been doping it for ages and if they didnt have bothered then maybe they both would be a lot better economically than they are now....

tru say leics

Slahswrist, Ofcourse this situation involves the USA...The usa isnt in it just because of its allies...

Yes, it involves the US because it involves US allies. Not because North Korea could actually hit the US with a missile.

You dont even know how most southkoreans feel about N.Korea.

Are you saying you do? You sure are going out of your way to defend North Korea. I would think you would have more sympathy for your starving brethren.

N.korea is/has developed long range missiles, capable of striking western USA...They had a test of the missile, which failed. Their missile capabilities (taepodong II) are capable of 4000 km...

4000km is not even close to the US.

Their problem is, they need to adapt the missile to carry the heavy nuclear warhead. It is only a matter of time before they develop this technology, so it is a direct threat to US interests.

I disagree that South Korea is a direct threat. But based on your beliefs, you agree that the US should intervene. No?

Besides, the US has thousands of troops in southkorea which can be struck by N.korea, infact that would be N.ks first target if it were to attack S.korea. I dont understand how you say USa is only involved because of its allies. USA and north Korea are practically neighbours.

Neighbors? Please. Now you're just making things up. The US is has 2 neighbors, Canada and Mexico. The US is not a neighbor with South Korea.

The North Korean government is nothing but a bunch of hot air. They are nowhere near having a workable nuclear weapon, much less, an ICBM.

Oh...From what ive read, N.Korean Taepodong missiles are capable of Western USA...I found this on wikipedia:

'With the development of the Taepodong-2 missile, with an expected range of 5,000-6,000 km[18], North Korea could hypothetically deliver a warhead to almost all countries in Southeast Asia, and parts of Alaska or the continental United States. Former CIA director George Tenet has claimed that, with a light payload, Taepodong-2 could reach western parts of Continental United States, though with low accuracy. '

And from the '1998 rumsfield report':

"There is evidence that North Korea is working hard on the Taep'o-dong 2 (TD-2) ballistic missile. The status of the system's development cannot be determined precisely. Nevertheless, the ballistic missile test infrastructure in North Korea is well developed. Once the system is assessed to be ready, a test flight could be conducted within six months of a decision to do so. If North Korea judged the test to be a success, the TD-2 could be deployed rapidly. It is unlikely the U.S. would know of such a decision much before the missile was launched. This missile could reach major cities and military bases in Alaska and the smaller, westernmost islands in the Hawaiian chain. Light-weight variations of the TD-2 could fly as far as 10,000 km, placing at risk western U.S. territory in an arc extending northwest from Phoenix, Arizona, to Madison, Wisconsin. These variants of the TD-2 would require additional time to develop and would likely require an additional flight test."

Or what is the situation on the missile?

Edited by AbdAllah

Do you honestly believe everything you read in wikipedia? Most wikis have more false information than truth.

And since when did Rumsfeld become a reliable source of information? Only when you like what he has to say?

You might not like it, but that's how it works.

Do you think North Korea is an innocent little country, being picked on by the US? North Korea has levelled many threats and both South Korea and Japan.

And with this statement, welcome to ignore. You obviously don't care about facts.

facts? how many times US vetoed resolutions against israeli crimes? why US is silent about the israeli Nuclear bombs?

what is your point when you say" that's how it works", what is YOUR opinion, whatever US might is doing in this world is right or wrong?