Islamic Forum
Ahsan

Uk Teacher Suspended Over Veil

London: A Muslim teaching assistant has been suspended for refusing to take off her veil in the classroom.

Aishah Azmi said she was willing to remove the veil in front of children, but not while male colleagues were present.

Minister for Local Government and Community Cohesion Phil Wooslas said on Sunday that Azmi should be sacked.

"She should be sacked. She has put herself in a position where she can't do her job," he said.

He also said that Azmi's stance on refusing to take off the veil in front of male colleagues amounted to sex discrimination:

"By insisting that she will wear the veil if men are there ... That's sexual discrimination. No headteacher could agree to that."

The suspended teacher is taking her case to an employment tribunal for a final ruling.

The incident comes amid an outcry in the United Kingdom over the issue sparked by politician Jack Straw when he revealed he asks Muslim constituents to remove their veils in meetings.

London mayor Ken Livingstone also commented on wanting to see veils disappear, but criticised Straw's approach as infringing on women's right to wear what they want.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gulfnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/world/United_Kingdom/10075015.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gulfnews(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/world/United_Kingdom/10075015.html[/url]

PropellerAds
If she wants to work at a non-Muslim school, she has to be willing to follow non-Muslim rules.

Obedience to rules is obligatory for everyone, so long as, these do not interfere with someone's religious beliefs and pratices.

:D

I wonder what ever happened to freedom of religion?

It always amazes me how fast Westerners turn on their own ideals when they dont like somethig.

Funny thing is that I bet they would have no problem hireing a person who was tatooed, had pircing all over his face and was an alchoholic, but to let a muslims woman to wear her veil is too much I guess.

Freedom of Religon is one thing...

..but teaching in a non-muslim school with your face covered?

Come on, get real.

What was she thinking in the first place? Getting a job in a non-muslim school?

I am sorry, but i have no sympathy for this sister.

Don't get me wrong, i've got nothing against women who cover their faces. One of my favourite aunts does it, i have alot of respect for choosing the cover herself up.

But still, i have no sympathy for This sister.

I bet they would have no problem hireing a person who was tatooed, had pircing all over his face and was an alchoholic

Tatooed = as long as it is Covered, whats the problem? It won't be distracting the students.

Piercings all over his face = You will only see teachers like that in Run-Down schools in east london ( :D ), Not many schools hire teachers who have piercings all over their faces.

Alcoholic = No school would take on an educator who comes to work drunk.

Like i said, Get real.

..Please :D

That's a very rational post, Sir.

If you read the story, she was working in a Church of England school. Could you imagine a non-muslim wearing a bikini (what muslims consider to be typical Western non-muslim female dress) in a Muslim school? How long would she have a job? She would be fired even quicker.

Edited by slashwrist

I notice that Gulfnews article omits the fact that she didn't wear her veil during the job interview - with a male governor . Surely if her principles are so important she would have kept it on then and made clear her intentions .

It seems like another manufactured 'cause' for various equality groups .

I notice that Gulfnews article omits the fact that she didn't wear her veil during the job interview - with a male governor .

Did the lady teacher herself confess that she remained unveiled during her interview with a male governor or its a deliberate effort to defame her?

Did the lady teacher herself confess that she remained unveiled during her interview with a male governor or its a deliberate effort to defame her?

She admitted a man was present at the job interview although she was reluctant to answer the question and also admitted she didn't tell them that she intended to wear a veil in the school . She made the admission during a live tv interview with BBC news .

She admitted a man was present at the job interview although she was reluctant to answer the question and also admitted she didn't tell them that she intended to wear a veil in the school . She made the admission during a live tv interview with BBC news .

Then I must say that she is at fault. She shouldn't have concealed her intentions of keeping veil from school authorities.

Salam,

Yeah, i agree...She should have definatly not concealed her intentions of wearing the veil...In the end of the day,she's in this country with this countries rules and customs...she can always move if she wants to...

Then I must say that she is at fault. She shouldn't have concealed her intentions of keeping veil from school authorities.

Yes that is my main problem with this . I have no argument with a teacher wearing the veil if it does not affect the students but she should have been more honest . She is obviously qualified so perhaps would be better off in a muslim or all girls school where male colleagues would be less of an issue .

Salam alaikum

this article is slightly more accurate:

Teacher suspended for wearing veil

(Filed: 13/10/2006)

A Muslim teaching assistant in West Yorkshire has been suspended after she refused to take off her veil while in class.

Aishah Azmi, 24, was told she could wear the veil in corridors and the staff room at Headfield Church of England junior school in Dewsbury, but must remove it when teaching.

It is understood that the school deemed face-to-face communication essential to her role as a bilingual support worker.

advertisement

The school's most recent Ofsted report, in February 2006, said that the first languages of most pupils were Panjabi, Gujarati and Urdu, and that standards of English were "poor".

This "holds them back in most aspects of their work", the report said.

A spokesman for Kirklees Council confirmed that Miss Azmi had been suspended, and said that it was waiting for the verdict of an employment tribunal.

The news comes as Jack Straw holds his first constituency surgery since making his controversial remarks that he would prefer Muslim women not to wear veils.

The Leader of Commons revealed that he had asked women meeting him in Blackburn to consider removing full-face veils that he said got in the way of effective communication.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/13/uveil.xml"]Source[/url]

Edited by [email protected]

That's a very rational post, Sir.

If you read the story, she was working in a Church of England school. Could you imagine a non-muslim wearing a bikini (what muslims consider to be typical Western non-muslim female dress) in a Muslim school? How long would she have a job? She would be fired even quicker.

I HATE it when a Non-muslim agree's with me on such issues... :D

Reason : Other muslims (well, some muslims...) start to see me as a 'kaffir lover' 'resident of hell'

Heck, i've been condemned to hell because i Oppose 'Salafism'/Wahabism. :D Imagine that.. a group of muslims condemned me to hell because i do not agree with alot of views that their Sect holds..

Peace

Reason : Other muslims (well, some muslims...) start to see me as a 'kaffir lover' 'resident of hell'

Our job is to please Allah not other human beings.

and as for the teacher....she should go by the rules.

Peace

If she's helping in a non-muslim school, then the children may not be comfortable having someone around dressed like a ghost (as my 9 year old cousin once put it).

Education in this case is about the children, not about her rights or beliefs. It's just completely arrogant.

If a teacher refused to teach muslims, then he would be declared racist. If a teacher assistant refuses to reveal herself to males, then she's not sexist?

Why should she be given different rights just because of her religious views?

It is not obligatory to where the veil. She will not go to hell for removing it.

Peace,

I just dont like the fact that she clearly decieved them in the first place. She took of her veil to

get the job and in the BBC interview she made excuses such as it was only for five minutes.

Every muslim woman has the right to wear the veil at work but in this case, it was gone

about the wrong way and perhaps this job was just not suited for her.

the whole story stinks. she should have made her intentions clear from the start... and if they did allow her to wear the veil in hallways etc... then whats wrong with removing it in class? its a JUNIOR school... max age of kids would be under fifteen!

my mom used to come to school all veiled, but if in class or the library she wouldnt keep it on... she would only put it on if there was a guy around.

the whole story stinks. she should have made her intentions clear from the start... and if they did allow her to wear the veil in hallways etc... then whats wrong with removing it in class? its a JUNIOR school... max age of kids would be under fifteen!

my mom used to come to school all veiled, but if in class or the library she wouldnt keep it on... she would only put it on if there was a guy around.

Salaam Alaikum

In this interview she's saying that doesn't have a prob with the kids, just male teachers. However she did NOT wear the veil in the interview which was in front of a male! Nor did she tell them that she would be wearing the veil in the future! I see this case flopping bigtime!

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.youtube(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/watch?v=9BI9v42UEWI&mode=related&search="]Video Interview[/url]

Funny thing is that I bet they would have no problem hireing a person who was tatooed, had pircing all over his face and was an alchoholic, but to let a muslims woman to wear her veil is too much I guess.

Actually I bet they WOULD have a problem hiring a person like that.

so much for the so called "freedom" the west bangs on about

Define this "freedom". Is it the freedom to discriminate on the basis of gender?

She didn't wear her veil for the interview? Then she planned this whole situation as a big PR stunt.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. But this affair was clearly seized upon as a test case, like the Shabina Begum case. It's reasonable to say that this woman was victimised to some extent. School authorities sometimes handle things badly, and haven't the wisdom to back down when they should. The failure to make the discrimination charges stick also seems reasonable. If she is claiming she's being discriminated against because of her religion, what of all the Muslimah who don't wear the veil? Are they less religious?