Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pe@ce

Saying Salam

PropellerAds

Assalumu Alaikum Is is wrong to just say Salam instead of Asalamu Alaikum?

I am told that saying Asalamu Alaikum in full is ok as is saying Salam (Peace)...

Many people say it in english also 'May peace and blessings be upon you' and vice versa.

To be honest I dont see anything wrong with either Im sure a Shaykh can confirm this, Ill have to ask to Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq in Leicester or my friends at Daruloom in Bury, inshallah

:D

It's okay to use 'Salaam' I think (Salaam by itself means Peace). I'm just saying this from the top of my head, I think it would be nicer to say 'Assalaamu 'Alaykum'' (or even add Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh -- and the mercy of Allah and His blessings).

Also, if someone says 'Assalaamu Alaykum', I don't think it's proper to reply with 'Salaam'.

Muhammed peace and blessings of Allah be upon him said that if someone says 'Assalaamu 'Alaykum' to you, you should return it with one like it (Wa Alaykum Assalaam) or with better than it (Wa Alaykum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh).

Inshaa'Allah a more knowledgeable brother or sister can confirm this.

Soo, I think it's best to stick with 'Assalaamu Alaykum' or 'Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakaatuh'. After all, are a few more syllables going to take a lot?