Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ahsan

Universities Urged To Spy On Muslims

Vikram Dodd

Monday October 16, 2006

The Guardian

Lecturers and university staff across Britain are to be asked to spy on "Asian-looking" and Muslim students they suspect of involvement in Islamic extremism and supporting terrorist violence, the Guardian has learned.

They will be told to inform on students to special branch because the government believes campuses have become "fertile recruiting grounds" for extremists.

The proposals are likely to cause anxiety among academics, and provoke anger from British Muslim groups.

Wakkas Khan, president of the Federation of Student Islamic Societies, said: "It sounds to me to be potentially the widest infringement of the rights of Muslim students that there ever has been in this country. It is clearly targeting Muslim students and treating them to a higher level of suspicion and scrutiny. It sounds like you're guilty until you're proven innocent."

Gemma Tumelty, president of the National Union of Students, said: "They are going to treat everyone Muslim with suspicion on the basis of their faith. It's bearing on the side of McCarthyism."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,1923325,00.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_education.guardian.co.uk/higher/new...1923325,00.html[/url]

PropellerAds

I find it ironic that Muslims hate the US soooooo much, but what countries are imposing religious restrictions? Not the US. It's Europe.

but what countries are imposing religious restrictions? Not the US. It's Europe.

The US is busy on other fronts.

but what countries are imposing religious restrictions? Not the US. It's Europe.

Do you mean school officials are suspicious of muslim students ?

What gave them cause to be ?

What gave them cause to be ?

Cz of their own policies, based on discrimination and hatred.

Even if the US wasn't at war in the Middle East, there would be no laws passed against Muslims freely practicing their religion.

As someone who works at a UK university I find the idea offensive .

Let's face it students are well known for testing political extremes usually on the left wing . I mean where else do you find so many communists outside of china , not to mention all those anarchists :D

It's only natural for some muslims to embrace more extreme versions of their own ideologies but like everyone else they usually grow out of it . While my university had trouble in the past with a small group of muslims ,who thought it fun to hand around anti-jewish pamphlets and invite speakers from Al-Muhajiroun , the miniscule numbers involved do not justify this sort of action . Especially as it was other muslim students who helped control their misguided fellows .

As someone who works at a UK university I find the idea offensive .

Let's face it students are well known for testing political extremes usually on the left wing . I mean where else do you find so many communists outside of china , not to mention all those anarchists :D

It's only natural for some muslims to embrace more extreme versions of their own ideologies but like everyone else they usually grow out of it . While my university had trouble in the past with a small group of muslims ,who thought it fun to hand around anti-jewish pamphlets and invite speakers from Al-Muhajiroun , the miniscule numbers involved do not justify this sort of action . Especially as it was other muslim students who helped control their misguided fellows .

i agree. the enviornment and animals rights extremist groups also go around college campus. but that shouldn't justify this serious violation of civil liberties. but more excuse for the government to grab power from the people...

I don't really see what the big deal is.

The use of the word "spy" here is very mis-leading. They won't be stalking you, filming you, tapping your phone lines... It's not invasion of privacy.

It causes you [Muslims] no real grief or hassle.

However, it will help us pick out and minimize extremists.

So what.. you're not willing to have someone keep a general eye on your religious sector in order to potentially save many lives?

Don't be so bloody pathetic and selfish.

If you really hate the way of the british government, then why live here?

You wouldn't expect a bunch of english people to move to pakistan, and preach about human rights and other crap until your country changes its laws; until they are forced to changed their culture; etc; would you?

Officially, we have to (by law) call christmas lights "tree lights" from now on, because it "offends" non-christians!! That is ridiculous. You lot have no right. Absolutely none.

Cz of their own policies, based on discrimination and hatred.

Are u refering to the extremists actively recruiting muslims at UK universitys?

Lecturers and university staff across Britain are to be asked to spy on "Asian-looking" and Muslim students they suspect of involvement in Islamic extremism and supporting terrorist violence, the Guardian has learned.

Good.

Do you think British people are going to accept students that are involved in Islamic extremism and supporting terrorist violence ?

Dream on.

Let's face it students are well known for testing political extremes usually on the left wing . I mean where else do you find so many communists outside of china , not to mention all those anarchists

There's a big difference between egging a tory and blowing yourself up on the underground.