Islamic Forum
TheBlindWatchmaker

What Would It Take?

ce' post='361805' date='Oct 16 2006, 11:37 PM']NOTHING.

I was about to say that on the behalf of believers. :D

What is disturbing you if someone believe that there is God?

LOL Not sure why, but I find this funny.

Ne ways

Blindwatchmaker..I get the meaning of your name....I fink (clever :D if i'm right) ....now my two cents..

The thing is that when you present the possibility of No God to Theists...IMO....The brain cells immediately go to work by trying to looking for reasons to convince you of God's existance.I highly doubt if a f irm believer actually considers the no God theory. The stronger the faith, the less some one actually considers. Because a design suggests a designer ( u should know that..watchmaker)..and that's how god exists...the case is closed and revisiting is not allowed.

Again, that was my humble opinion so take it for what's it worth.

peace

Edited by llogical

PropellerAds

Peace,

Sometimes I wonder, such a 20th century(or otherwise) minority (Atheist) are trying to prove that there is no God, to the Majority(everybody who beleive in Gods existence like muslim, christians, jews etc) who are from generations and generations and beleive there is God. BECAUSE IT IS THE NATURAL HUMAN BEHAVIOUR, HUMANS ARE BORN WITH THAT.

Wherever an athiest looks, he sees no signs of God.

Wherever a Believer looks, all he see's are signs of god.

More scientific ignorance on the religious behalf?
Hello,

The universe and everything else is way too complicated for it to happen by chance. Surely there must be a creator who did all this. Even a tiny little fruit fly is ultra complex.. aerospace engineers are still trying to figure out how the heck it beats its wings so fast that if an airplane did that it would rip off!

I had an atheist friend whos now agnostic.. lol.. is that progress? :D..

:D

So let's not waste time in this futile mission and move on to something better or beneficial.

Wa'ssalaam

SURAH AL-KAFRIRUN!

Believe in what you believe-science and we-Muslims and Muslimahs- will believe in our Creator-Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala.

Yep, I hear you, loud and clear..

(Mind you, it's funny how atheists are expected not to preach, yet Islam seems to encourage muslims to convert non-muslims... hmm. Ah well.

When was religion ever supposed to be fair and logical?)

I understand what your saying, but Islam doesn't encourage muslims to convert non-muslims,because it is only Allah who can convert and change someones heart,we muslims can only inform,and help someone improve their understanding of Islam.

You know, We have good digital video cameras right now every where, but We all know that still, the technology used in our eyes, the way our eye works is still far more advanced than the most advanced digital cameras humans produced,

Now take a break for one minute...

Think about the digital camera you like for one minute....

Now if i say that no one create this, it just appears and came into existance after evoluating thousands of thousands years...

Will you believe me?

Most of the people call me mad if I claim this, but still some GREAT people believe that our eye get into existance without creator,even with more advanced and complex technology..

One don't believe that today's modern digital camera came into existance on its own, but he believe in the existance of human eye,with more complex technology on its own... I consider it funny.

William Paley was a famous theologist, and was the author of a famous theological exposition:

Natural Theology -- or evidences of the existnce and attributes of the deity collected from the appearances of natuve (published in 1802).

He proposes very very similar arguments to what you have.

Let me just quote the first passage of Natural Theology:

"In crossing the heath, suppose I pitched my foot against a stone, and were asked how the stone came to be there; I might possibly answer, that, for anything I knew to the contrary, it had lain there forever: nor would it perhaps be very easy to show the absurdity of this answer. But suppose I had found a watch upon the ground, and it should be inquited how the watch happened to be in that place; I should hardly think of the answer which I had before given, that for anything I knew, the watch might have always been there."

"that the watch must have had a maker: that there must have existed, at some time, and at some place or other, an artificer or artificers, who formed it for the purpose which we find it actually to answer; who comprehended its construction, and designed its use."

"every indication of contrivance, every manifestation of design, which existed in the watch, exists in the works of nature; with the difference on the side of nature, of being greater or more, and that in a degree which exceeds all computation".

Paley drives his points home with beautiful and reverent descriptions of the dissected machinery of life, beginning with the human eye, a favourite which Darwin was later to use..

Paley compares the eye with a designed instrument such as a telescope, and concludes that 'there is precisely the same proof that the eye was made for vision, as there is that the telescope was made for assisting it'. The eye must have had a designer, just as the telescope had.

Paley's argument is made with passionate sincerity and is informed by the best biological scholarship of his day, but it is wrong, gloriously and utterly wrong. The analogy between telescope and eye, between watch and living organism, is false. All appearances to the contrary, the only watchmaker in nature is the blind forces of physics, albeit deployed in a very special way. A true watchmaker has foresight: he designs his cogs and springs, and plans their interconnections, with a scious, automatic process which Dawin discovered, and which we now know is the explanation for the existence and apparently purposeful form of all life, has no purpose in mind. It has no mind and no mind's eye. It does not plan for the future. It has no vision, no foresight, no sight at all. If it can be said to play the role of watchmaker in nature, it is the blind watchmaker.

iftikharalam, if, instead of presenting ignorant questions in a rhetorical form, and living in ignorance and denial for the rest of your life, you would like to understand the scientific explanation and answer to the exact questions that you posed above, then you must read:

"The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins.

300 pages of clear, concise, accurate, and heavily backed (and logical) explanations of evolution.

iftikharalam, if, instead of presenting ignorant questions in a rhetorical form, and living in ignorance and denial for the rest of your life, you would like to understand the scientific explanation and answer to the exact questions that you posed above,

well, it is great posting in your thread, but i cannot continue disscusiing things with you having this mindset and who feel obligation to put insulting remarks in every post.

Thank you for the advice And take care.

I am living in ignorance, believe me, I am living in ignorance, It makes you happy?, now go and dance with joy in the street, and yeah, I will definately read that book.. Now happy? Or anything left ?

What's with the sarcasm?

You're clearly very ignorant regarding scientific theory (which in itself is fine), but this ignorance seems to inspire and justify your religious belief (whatever that may be).

This is the problem.

Salaam

You would be gretted in a much different manner and tone if you would change your own tone. We don't care if you don't beleive what we beleive, but if that is the case, why not come trying to learn about Islam, just as I try my best to learn about science. That would be much better than comming on here calling us all ignorant. If you are going to be rude then just leave, if you want information then stay and change your tone.

Peace

Huh?

But I am trying to learn about Islam! So I can make an informed decision.

..However, very very few religious people even attempt to familiarize themself with science. How one earth can you respect someone who is so naive?

Well, that's all I'm going to say.