Islamic Forum
_MoonLight_

Famous Converts

The famous ones i can think of are:

Dave Chappelle

Mike Tyson

(many people from Russia converted while in Afganistan)

Muhammad Ali

Omar Pasha

If you know anymore please say:D

PropellerAds

:D

Yes i know one more

He is cat steven(top singer of uk around 1970) now known as Yusuf Islam.

Yes, Mohammad Yousuf converted in about 2005.

Now, perhaps we could narrow things down a bit here...

Let's list famous, intelligent, and respected people, who have converted to Islam........?

Salam alaikum

From the top of my head:

Malcolm X - US black nationalist

Muhammad Ali - US boxer

Cat Stevens - former UK singer

Yvonne Ridley - UK journalist

Danny Williams - UK boxer

Napoleon - US rapper

Jermaine Jackson - former US singer (Michael Jacksons brother)

There's many more..

Edited by [email protected]

salaam;

The famous ones i can think of are:

Dave Chappelle

Mike Tyson

(many people from Russia converted while in Afganistan)

Muhammad Ali

Omar Pasha

If you know anymore please say :D

listen to our famous reverts....they now sing for Islam.

Yusuf Islam

Dawud Wharnsby

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/ArtCulture/audio.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/ArtCulture/audio.shtml[/url]

there is Hamza Yusuf , Yusuf Estets ( ex-Priest ) & a lot .

Did u notice , how they like the name Yusuf ?

Asalaamualaykum,

i didn't know Dave Chappelle was a Muslim!!!very surprising indeed!

Walaykum asalaaam

Also in 1998, Chappelle converted to Islam. He told Time magazine in a May 2005 interview, "I don't normally talk about my religion publicly because I don't want people to associate me and my flaws with this beautiful thing. And I believe it is a beautiful religion if you learn it the right way."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Dave_Chapelle"]source[/url]

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/ArtCulture/audio.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/English/ArtCulture/audio.shtml[/url]

there is Hamza Yusuf , Yusuf Estets ( ex-Priest ) & a lot .

Did u notice , how they like the name Yusuf ?

LOL! I was planning on naming my first child (... if he is a He...) YUSUF,.. but now i think i will go for Hamza.

Asalaamualaykum,

i didn't know Dave Chappelle was a Muslim!!!very surprising indeed!

Walaykum asalaaam

Chappelle also plays World of Warcraft! o.0

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

Listen to the holy Quran---the Final Testament

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/MOSQUE/ARABICSCRIPT/AYAT/1/1_1.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/MOSQUE/ARABICSCRIPT/AYAT/1/1_1.htm[/url]

&&&

A Day of Celebration: Idris Tawfiq's First `Eid

Idris Tawfik is a British writer who became Muslim a few years ago. Previously, he was head of religious education in different schools in the United Kingdom. Before embracing Islam, he was a Roman Catholic priest. He now lives in Egypt. For more information about him, visit

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.idristawfiq(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.idristawfiq(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url].

Walking in throngs in the same direction were Muslims of every nationality, each in their own traditional dress. There were Arabs and Turks, Indonesians and Malays, Nigerians, Pakistanis, and Bengalis.

In fact, it seemed as though every race on earth was represented. Young children, quite obviously in brand new clothes, clutched the hands of mothers and fathers. Elderly grandparents in their best attire, perhaps reminding them of a childhood in some foreign land, walked proudly by their side. It was an amazing sight. What was even more amazing was that British policemen were stopping the traffic so that this rich assortment of Muslims could cross the street to get to the Masjid.

I had never seen so many worshipers in the prayer hall. There were quite literally thousands, with mats outside for thousands more. In fact, the `Eid Prayers were staggered over different "sittings" to accommodate all those wanting to pray. Remember, I had never before been able to attend Friday Prayers in congregation, so this was the first time I had seen so many Muslims gathered together to pray. It was such an inspiration to be present and to know that Allah had called me to be a part of this great Muslim nation.

..............As part of the great community of Islam, we had all fasted together for the sake of Allah. Now, together as a community, we were rejoicing and thanking Allah for all His blessings. My first `Eid as a Muslim was therefore special. It was an experience of all I had come to believe: that Islam is the world's natural religion and that it knows no boundaries of race. Al-hamdu lillah.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1160914860577&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...lam%2FDIELayout[/url]

salaam;

&&&

Dr. Jeffrey Lang

God will bring you to your knees, Jeffery!â€, said his father when he denied the existence of God at the age of eighteen. Ten years later, that became a reality. He was now on his knees, and his forehead on the ground. The highest part of his body that contained all of his knowledge and intellect was now on the lowest ground in complete submission before the Majesty of God.

Like all Muslim reverts, Dr. Lang felt that he was favored by God’s mercy and that it was God Himself who directed him to Islam. “I perceived that God was always near, directing my life, creating the circumstances and opportunities to choose, yet always leaving the crucial choices to me. I was awestruck by the realization of the intimacy and love that reveals, not because we deserve it, but because it is always there and all we have to do is turn to Him to receive it.

I cannot say with certainty what the meaning of that vision was, but I could not help seeing in it a sign, a favor, and a new chance.â€

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.welcome-back(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/profile/jeffrey_lang.shtml"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.welcome-back(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/profile/jeffrey_lang.shtml[/url]

Bibliography:

Dr. Jeffrey Lang, “Struggling to Surrenderâ€, Beltsville, 1994

Dr. Jeffrey Lang, “Even Angels Askâ€, Beltsville, 1997

I just recently read Jeffery Lang's book "Struggle to Surrender" at the advice of my Imam. Very good book for converts.

asalamu alaikum

jazakallah khair brother Pete and sister bluesky for the info on Jeffrey Lang's book- i will recommend it to a recent reverted sister inshAllah who i knew for a while :D

here's a list of famous converts, starting with the first ever convert:

Khadijah - wife of Muhammad. First convert to Islam.

Shabbetai Tzevi - seventeenth-century Turkish Jew who had claimed to be Messiah and attracted a large following. His conversion to Islam largely dissolved this mass messianic Jewish movement, but also resulted in the development of the ongoing Donmeh religious movement.

Malcolm X - early leader of American "Black Muslim"/Nation of Islam movement; later a convert to Sunni Islam

Cat Stevens - British rock musician; changed name to Yusuf Islam

John Coltrane - prominent jazz saxophonist and composer

Art Blakey - American Jazz musician

Muhammad Ali - boxer

Matthew Saad Muhammad - world champion boxer (formerly Matt Franklin)

Dwight Muhammad Qawi - world champion boxer (formerly Dwight Braxton)

Eddie Mustapha Muhammad - world champion lightweight boxer (formerly Eddie Gregory)

Mustafa Hamsho - boxer

Akbar Muhammad - boxer

Mike Tyson - boxer

Hamdan Chris Eubank - boxer (super middleweight boxing champion)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - basketball player

Queen Noor - American-born queen of Jordan during reign of the late King Hussein I

Maryam Jameelah - Jewish American essayist and poet. Formerly Margaret Marcus.

Daniel Moore - Anglo-American poet

Muhammad Marmaduke (William) Pickthall - author and Quran translator

Michael Wolfe - author, journalist (The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca; One Thousand Roads to Mecca: Ten Centuries of Travelers Writing About the Muslim Pilgrimage; ABC Nightline documentary "An American in Mecca")

Aminah Assilmi - Denver area broadcast journalist; now director of the International Union of Muslim Women (former Baptist)

Pamela Taylor - science fiction author; Publications Officer of the Islamic Writers Alliance and co-chair of the Progressive Muslim Union

Jemima Goldsmith - daughter of British billionaire Sir James, who married Imran Khan. Changed name to Haiqa Khan.

Mumia Abu-Jamal - journalist, Black Panther, political activist, known for his 1982 conviction and death sentence on charges of a police officer, and for a nationally popular counter-culture campaign to free him

salam and du'as

Your sis in Islam

Edited by Aamina

May Allah reward u all for sharing informative and useful information.Ameen.

"Me :D "

Alhumdulilah you were guided Sister_Truth sister. :D

May Allah bless u and your wonderful hubby always.Ameen. :D

Me :D

Assalamu alaykum

yes sister you are marked :D

:D wassalam

Angela Collins is a convert to Islam.

T J Winters - Abdul Hakim Maurad

There are lots n lots.

Angela Collins is a convert to Islam.

T J Winters - Abdul Hakim Maurad

There are lots n lots.

Oh how could i forget Abdul Hakim Murad

Oh, and the famous Sister_Truth!

Assalam Alaikum

G.S. to Abdulrahman ----> Hhaha this is me.. lols

Jazaak Allah Khair for the wonderful thread..

Assalam Alaikum

G.S. to Abdulrahman ----> Hhaha this is me.. lols

Jazaak Allah Khair for the wonderful thread..

wa alaikum assalam

Oh brother, you're a revert... mashAllah :D

Another famous revert here, and he's an IF moderator too :D

Edited by Aamina

:D How about Eric Shrody a.k.a. Everlast, former lead singer of House of Pain, now solo rapper.

salaam;

Marmaduke Pickthall

pickthall.jpg

In 1930 he published The Meaning of the Glorious Koran (since the Qu'ran is the word of Allah, Pickthall maintained, it could not be "translated").

[ I read elsewhere that he declared his Shahada openly at a conference in London. Can u imagine the shock & surprise of the Brit people ? I wish , i could watch their faces :D ]

Marmaduke William Pickthall, born in 1875 London to Mary O'Brien and the Reverend Charles Grayson Pickthall, is remembered—if he is remembered at all—as a translator of the Qu'ran.

The fact that a practicing English Christian would convert to Islam and become a renowned translator of the holiest of Muslim texts during years of volatile relations between Britain and the Ottoman Empire is itself exceptional.

Yet Pickthall was much more than an historical oddity or gifted translator: he was a novelist, journalist, political and religious leader, and an often confusing mix of allegiances and beliefs

...he was editor of Islamic Culture, a journal published under the patronage of the Nizam of Hyderabad; he worked for the London-based Islamic Information Bureau, which published the weekly Muslim Outlook; and he wrote regularly for The New Age, including eloquent pro-Turkish pieces contributed right through the Great War. E.M. Forster wrote in 1921 that Pickthall was "the only contemporary English novelist who understands the Nearer East" (Clark 1).

His novels, according to one biographer, "contain the circumstantiality of Sir Walter Scott, the exuberance of Charles Dickens, the moral strength of George Eliot, and compassionate tragedy of Thomas Hardy and the universality of E.M. Forster" (Clark 2).

Clearly, Pickthall and his works deserve to be re-discovered: his writings for The New Age alone add an invaluable perspective on the colonial concerns pressing on Great Britain and the Muslim world in the first decades of the twentieth century.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.thetruecall(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/home/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=70"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.thetruecall(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/home/modules.ph...icle&sid=70[/url]