Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
luke

The Truth?

unproved sky god

-- Luke

Our gentle Buddhist friend is apparently in error concerning his views on the Lord, God of Abraham. Muslims profess an accurate belief in an entirely transcendent, yet spiritually immanent Originator. "He" is the First Principle, Primordial Cause, Absolute Divine; He is the ultimate reality existing beyond the bounds of form, space, and time. The sky is merely a product of His magnificent creation, it therefore does not contain Him: the universe thus cannot contain it's Lord.

The Qur'an describes "God" as scientifically incorporeal, though spiritually approachable.

As ever,

Avicenna

PropellerAds
Thou, o font of greater intelligence than me, consider your words - as they tend to betray one's intelligence or lack thereof:

this roughly translates to "hey you think you sound smart but you sound stupid!"...you couldn't think of anything more constructive?

Something tells me that you are not as intelligent as you may perceive yourself to be

alrighty so you think i'm stupid, care to point out the stupid mistake i made that makes you think i'm stupid?

Furthermore, I never said I was religious

you don't have to, your profile sez right there "religion: christianity"

Your assumption that I am has backed you into a little corner.

and you think this because?

If I am not religious, then I may very well be more intelligent than you

if you are not religious you may very well be less intelligent then me, whats your point? You're a non religious christian?? :D

alrighty so you think i'm stupid, care to point out the stupid mistake i made that makes you think i'm stupid?

I didn't say that. I said "Something tells me that you are not as intelligent as you may perceive yourself to be." You are the one stating that "religious" people are less intelligent than non-religious people. Furthermore, you place me in the camp of being "religious." Therefore, going with your definitions, I have just noticed that your writing does not evince a great degree of intelligence and yet you are non-religious. If non-religious people are more intelligent than religious people and if I am religious, then your paradigm fails because you certainly don't appear to be - at the very least - more intelligent than me. Quite the opposite, really.

you don't have to, your profile sez right there "religion: christianity"

That is another false dualism that you have embraced. Most Christians don't consider themselves religious. They consider that they have a relationship with God. If you have a relationship with your spouse, it is just that: a relationship.

if you are not religious you may very well be less intelligent then me,

Yes, I am not religious and no I certainly appear to be - at the very least - more intelligent than you.

whats your point? You're a non religious christian??

Yes. And that your false dualism is just that.

If this thread is going to degenerate into a mudslinging contest, I will have no hesitation in closing it. This is not the way of dialogue.

Apologize to each other, guys and tone it down please.

Kind regards,

yusufar

Im not insulting him, he just keeps taking my words out of context and i don't understand what he's saying. I'll apologise if thats what it takes to keep the thread open.

You are the one stating that "religious" people are less intelligent than non-religious people.

you misunderstood my position, I do not make absolute statements, EVER. I'm just saying that I believe religion is a cancer of the mind and severely limits those who become engulfed in it. Kind of like how boxing is an inferior martial art to say kung fu, but that does not mean every man that knows kung fu can beat up every boxer. You can be religious and more intelligent then a non religious man is my point :D

Yes, I am not religious and no I certainly appear to be - at the very least - more intelligent than you.

You missed my point again :D my point was that your religiousness or lack thereof do not determite whether or not you're more intelligent then me.

That is another false dualism that you have embraced

do not overestimate me, I studied dualism way to long ago and the word is no longer in my mental dictionary.

Most Christians don't consider themselves religious. They consider that they have a relationship with God. If you have a relationship with your spouse, it is just that: a relationship.
What most christians consider themselves to be does not determine what they are.

Yes. And that your false dualism is just that.

perhaps I jumped the gun in assuming we had the same idea of what the word religion and religious means? I consider religion to be a set of beliefs and principles based on faith in a supernatural entity. What do you think it means

Our gentle Buddhist friend is apparently in error concerning his views on the Lord, God of Abraham. Muslims profess an accurate belief in an entirely transcendent, yet spiritually immanent Originator. "He" is the First Principle, Primordial Cause, Absolute Divine; He is the ultimate reality existing beyond the bounds of form, space, and time. The sky is merely a product of His magnificent creation, it therefore does not contain Him: the universe thus cannot contain it's Lord.

The Qur'an describes "God" as scientifically incorporeal, though spiritually approachable.

As ever,

Avicenna

Hello everyone, I'm back for a while and have time to catch up with my posts. I use the phrase ''sky god'' because many monotheists pray to the heavens, eg the sky.

As for the god of Abraham, I'm in the process of studying the Bible and the Koran and so far what I have read about Abraham and his god in the old testament involves two contradictory and childlike discriptions of creation and lots of wrath, smiting, hate, genocide, misogyny and this god character seems to be fundementaly flawed and full of jealousy. Like a bipolar teenager with a phsycopathic rage. Not a nice god and not wise in the slightest. Its good that the old testament is fiction otherwise the jews and the cristians have got alot of killing to do to appesase their loving creator.

So far, as far as I can see (and I have only just started reading youre books) the only proof beleivers bring to the table is the scriptures themselves and so far I can see that these books are very contradictory and wide open to interpretation. You can interpret them to mean peace and love, but only if you dodge the passages that demand mass slaughter.

And Avicenna that is just a cop out. The god lives outside of the universe but is also everywhere inside it, but cannot be seen is just mumbo jumbo.

All it is is a declaration of the absence of evidence of god, all wrapped up in scripture.

It's a get out clause for believers who claim that they are totally certain about their claims but have no evidence.

The Koran is not evidence it is literature, It only becomes evidence if you endow it with the outrageous claim that it is the perfect word of the creator of the universe. There is no proof that this claim is true and to that I would say you need even more empirical evidence to proove such a concept has any basis in reality.

Infact it is impossible for Muslims to prove their claims, if you had proof I would be a Muslim and all the Christians would convert, the world would be Islamic. But as you can see it is not, so quoting the Koran to take away the burden of proof from the beleiver is a cheap shot and cuts no ice intellectualy.

As I have said before scripture proves nothing, the new testament says that Jesus is devine, but that is not proof and Muslims would use logic to prove that Christianity is wrong. If only Muslims could turn that logic on their own religious certanties they would see that the Islamic world veiw is deeply flawed.

How can you be totally certain that the angel Gabriel visited Mohammed and dictated the word of the creator of the universe to him. If you are intellectualy honest you could say you hope it is true, but you honestly couldnt be sure, totally sure even if you had a time machine you couldnt be certain, unless you where in the cave with Mohammed and Gabriel. Youre total faith comes not from evidence but from youre willingness to beleive what you elders and community tell you ''IS'' the truth, If you are told from Birth that the Koran is the truth and musnt be questioned then youre ability to think rationally has been crushed by youre culture and community, and I think that is very sad.

Anyway if god lives outside the universe then he is up in the sky somewhere isnt he??? So Sky God is not such a bad discription. Or maybe intergalactic god???