Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Habaa

M O S Q U E Becomes Masjid

Peace, asalamu aleikum

Can someone explain me why masjid apears when I write m o s q u e?

PropellerAds

:D

Originally I thought brother dot had some scripts running on IF that changed the word "mosque" to "masjid" but seems i'm wrong because its not affecting me as you can see i've said the "mosque" word 2 times already and its still the same..

:D..

:D

Salaam! :D

It's pretty much what Yaqeen said :D Masjid is the English word for a Muslim Prayer Hall, whereas Masjid is the original Arabic word :D

Salaam! :D

It's pretty much what Yaqeen said :D Masjid is the English word for a Muslim Prayer Hall, whereas Masjid is the original Arabic word :D

Salaam

I heard that the began calling Masjid "mosque" because a ruler proclaimed that they should be swatted out like "mosquitoes" I forget where I read this but i'll elaborate later.

peace

Seems rather silly, that we can't say m o s q u e. hmm..

testing :

mosque

m0sque.

moskue..

Salaam

I heard that the began calling Masjid "mosque" because a ruler proclaimed that they should be swatted out like "mosquitoes" I forget where I read this but i'll elaborate later.

peace

Everybody loves conspiracy theories huh :D

Seems rather silly, that we can't say m o s q u e. hmm..

testing :

mosque

m0sque.

moskue..

Everybody loves conspiracy theories huh :D

Salaam

I read it in the Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam at the library, written by Yahiya Emerick, if that helps at all.

peace

Salaam

I read it in the Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam at the library, written by Yahiya Emerick, if that helps at all.

peace

Question: There is a book entitled The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Islam. It discusses within it many things, including the etymology of the word “mosqueâ€. It says that this word is derived from the Spanish word for “mosquitoâ€. It claims that the word was first used during the Christian invasion of Muslim Spain in the 15th century when the forces of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella boasted they would swat out Muslim prayer houses like so many mosquitoes. Is this true?

Answered by the Scientific Research Committee - IslamToday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

This etymology is incorrect.

The Spanish word for "mosquito" is mosquito and literally means “little flyâ€. This is a case where the English language borrowed the word directly from the Spanish.

The word for “fly†in Spanish is mosca, which is derived from the Latin musca. The diminutive suffix “-ito†is attached to it to form the word mosquito or “little flyâ€.

The Spanish term for “mosque†is mezquita, derived from the old Spanish mesquita. This word was most certainly derived from the Arabic word masjid, which many Arabs then and now pronounce as masgid.

In Spain during the era of Muslim rule – and this was before the time of King Ferdinand – Spanish speakers were using the word mosquito for the insect and the word mesquita for the Muslim place of worship. The two words are not related to one another in any way.

The word “mosque†was introduced into the English language in the late 14th or early 15th century from the French. It comes from the French word mosquée from the old French word mousquaie. The French, in turn, derived the word from the Italian word moschea from moscheta. The Italians got it either directly from the Arabic word masjid or from the old Spanish mesquita.

salaam

Thanks for putting that rumor to rest! :D

peace

Peace

I think Masjid word is working here :D

Hmm.. I don't know why there is a problem with u.

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Masjid and the plural form Masajid is the Arabic term for Masjid, and the literal meaning of masjid or masajid is a Place of Prostration.

Salam

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi