Islamic Forum
Greek-Cypriot

Racism in Britain

Interested to hear people's stories of racism in Britain towards either themselves, members of their family or simply stories they have heard about.

I've experienced a bit of racism occasionally, but nothing like what I saw when I was on a bus, a Muslim woman in a hijab walking down a street with a parade of shops and somebody spitting at her. The person in question was the most archtypal English BNP member you could wish the meet, skinhead, sunburnt even though it was english weather (lol) and an england football team shirt on.

PropellerAds

I read in the newspaper today..

3 British Muslim men were racially abused badly and one of them had their nose broken :D

They were getting battered by 15 white (non muslim) men!! :P :D

They ran into Co-op and told them to close the shutters and thank God they did :D and even then the men were shouting obscene things ...

Later they were taken to Wythenshaw hopspital.. :P

Edited by Undacova_Sista

:D

let me give you an example, a have a friend, he lives in central london, the neighbours blast out pop music at full blast, even louder than the pub, at random times, sometimes at 3 am, now, when the police is called, they let it go....simply because they are white, but when the bengali people on the other side make noise, the police suddenly gang up on all the desi (asian), people. Just one example.

let me give you an example, a have a friend, he lives in central london, the neighbours blast out pop music at full blast, even louder than the pub, at random times, sometimes at 3 am, now, when the police is called, they let it go....simply because they are white, but when the bengali people on the other side make noise, the police suddenly gang up on all the desi (asian), people. Just one example.

Really a shame

Peace Lateralus63,

If this is an occurence you'd consider normal and your friends are being unfairly treated get them to contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission. (IPPC)

Complaints can be made here, "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/making_complaint.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/making_complaint.htm[/url]

If your friends don't speak English they can find the appropriate form here,

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/other_languages.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/other_languages.htm[/url]

To the Muslim members,

I'm interested to know why you as Muslims think you are likely to be victims of racism in the UK. (or wherever you live) E.g. Do you think it's because of distrust of Muslims in the West, human nature, lack of integration?

Peace

Eoin

peace Eoin,

Racism is everywhere and where there is ignorance and prejudice people will find themselves feeling like an outcast and people being racist towards them. Some of my friends can be racist sometimes without even realising what they say...and because my skin colour is not black and i could easily be mistaken for mixed race they feel it is normal to be racist :D

Espically for muslim women in Britian racism is more noticed. I mean several months back a young lady and her 4 year old child were thrown eggs at, it didn't occur to them that she was british revert.

Though racism can be found anywhere in the world, when you are a muslim female you can be easily distinquished and therefore people making racist remarks seem inevitable. However, i have never personally accounted for any racism :D

peace.

Interested to hear people's stories of racism in Britain towards either themselves, members of their family or simply stories they have heard about.

I've experienced a bit of racism occasionally, but nothing like what I saw when I was on a bus, a Muslim woman in a hijab walking down a street with a parade of shops and somebody spitting at her. The person in question was the most archtypal English BNP member you could wish the meet, skinhead, sunburnt even though it was english weather (lol) and an england football team shirt on.

hmmm no racism... (i am white and english)

but i have been spat on by an old man, spat at by old women, shouted at by young and old though no violent incidents as i am quite a big man and most people tend not to mess with a 16stone brother with a huge beard.

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor does a non Arab have any superiority over an arab; also a white has no superiority over black, nor does black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action. learn that every muslim is is a brother to every muslim and that Muslims constitute one brotherhood.

from the Prophet Muhammad's (saws) last sermon,

Allah willing this explains Islams teachings on racism.

Edited by dawud_uk

most people tend not to mess with a 16stone brother with a huge beard.

(w00t)

All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab, nor does a non Arab have any superiority over an arab; also a white has no superiority over black, nor does black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action. learn that every muslim is is a brother to every muslim and that Muslims constitute one brotherhood.

mashallah :D well put akhi :D

"The person in question was the most archetypal English..."

and,

"Sunburnt even though it was English weather (lol)..."

Statements like these could easily be misunderstood to mean something that was not intended.

Assalamualikum

I havent faced any racism due to my ethnicity however there was this one occasion in the aftermath of 9/11 that I got picked on due to my religion.

I was walking home from town and all of a sudden I heard this man with a strong scottish accent say ''cheer up Bin laden'' and as I looked up there was this crowd of four of five lads surrounding me laughing...I was really scared, but just hurried along passed them.

I think back now and wish I'd have said something like ''you may take away our lives but you cannae take away our freedooooooom'' (w00t)

But...I'm glad I didnt :D

Edited by selina

hmmm no racism... (i am white and english)

but i have been spat on by an old man, spat at by old women, shouted at by young and old though no violent incidents as i am quite a big man and most people tend not to mess with a 16stone brother with a huge beard.

Yeh, spitting seems to be a big thing in England, what really annoys me is that the English has the cheek to call other nations racist. They tend to quite easily forget about their past.

Guest amani

another thing though.it is not only muslims that recieve racism!

a letter was written to the local masjid by a niceenglish man

it went something like this

hi

i am neither a racist nor do i have anything against you but it is with regret that i have to tell you that your youth has driven me out of the place i lived in for years..

in the letter he explained that the youth kept on breaking his windows just because he was white and they were asian

now thins like this

what does it achieve?

Peace Lateralus63,

If this is an occurence you'd consider normal and your friends are being unfairly treated get them to contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission. (IPPC)

Complaints can be made here, "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/making_complaint.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/making_complaint.htm[/url]

If your friends don't speak English they can find the appropriate form here,

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/other_languages.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/other_languages.htm[/url]

peace eoin, im sure you remember the program "the secret policeman", let me remind us all

a white person working for the bbc i think, got employed into the british police force, complete with hidden cameras, microphones, and to be brief, he was sharing a room with these 2 racists, who almost daily were recorded on camera, making racist remarks against paki's, and imitating the ku klux klan. Now if that was found in just one area of the police force, god knows where else it can be found! !!!

lets be realistic, the public can whine all they want, but the end of the day, the goverment is too busy spending their cash buying missiles to fire on some other country, and they are too stingy to spend it for their own country, racism is still there, the question lies in what the goverment is doing about it.

and to amani's post, yes i defienetley agree, i know quite a few asians who are racist and i do tel them to stop being so racist as this is oblivious against Islam, but then again that is the most i can do.

Asalamu Alaykum

Though the government plays an important role in trying to change laws and put pressure in reducing the level of racism it is more important to try and change people’s views because you can pass laws but that will not change one’s view. This is clear when looking at the America history of Slavery…though laws were passed in South America people refused to obey the laws merely because they felt what they were doing to Black people was normal astagfurullah.

Racism happens everywhere unfortunately :D and it is sad when you see it…

Asalamu alaikum

Before i wore hijab i sort of blended into the background because i'm white, with western features (even though i'm not western) living in a very predominantly white area.

However, subhan'Allah, the day after i wore my hijab i went to the bank in my village, and these 4 guys were walking behind me. One on them called me a f***in nun (which i quietly giggled at), then another one kicked me really hard (made me stumble) as he walked past me.

Later when i got home, i found a huge cob of spit down the leg of my trousers. That was the most offensive thing, it made me cry, and i actually didnt go out for a week after that.

Alhamdulillah that was 6months ago, and ive never felt stronger. I realised that Allah places tests for you along the path and they are their to improve you as a person. Insha'Allah atleast something positive came out of that experience.

Wa'alaikumu Salam

As salaamu alaikum

Personally I haven’t experienced anything too severe, alhumdulilah! But my family have suffered some verbal abuse, being victims of theft etc!

Although, I must add that there are some truly nice non-Muslims out there! I live in a mixed-populated area, where there can be some friction but we usually get on well!

Saying that, I just remembered a couple months ago one elderly Muslim man (my dad knew him) someone came into his dry cleaners shop and poured ACID all over his body, was left severely burnt and he is still being treated!! He’s now partially blind!! He was really friendly and had never had any other trouble before!!!

Strange how, some people think verbal abuse or stirring of on-going hatred is actually going to help them relieve themselves of their revulsion towards us!

May Allah swt show these troublemakers the error of their ways, Ameen!

WEll ive experience a fiare share of verbal racist abuse over the years, and i got alot of strange awkward stares sometimes such that i dont feel like going out . The most recent was onthe Tube in London central , some white collor worker uttering obscenties about muslims and pakies for the best part of 20 minutes.... whilst i stood next to him ...in a packed train.

Once i got chased through the park by 3 skinheads shouting filthy (paki bashing abuse) after a game of football, i had to run all the way to my college i was that scred.

But it has not and never will change my atttitude towards white people or christians such that i generalize.. etc.. else i would be no worse then them.

Edited by AbdulMajid

Asalamualikum Brothers and sisters

I think we should follow the way The Prophet (S.A.W) solved the issue of being discriminated against. He solved it by being patcient and i think that we should aquire that kind of patcience cuz in reality patcience is like a weapon against racism.

Walakumasalam