Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alikhlas999

Turning Muslim in Texas

Turning Muslim in Texas

texas2.jpg

Praying in Texas

George W Bush may be backed by Christian fundamentalists but in his home state of Texas, Islam is the latest big draw. The Bible belt is transferring its allegiance to the Qur’an because, for many erstwhile Christians, believe it or not, the church is too liberal.

Eric was a Baptist preacher before he became a Muslim 14 years ago. Now he prays five times a day – even in the middle of watching a football game. His wife, Karen, also a convert, is covered from head to toe in the traditional Muslim burka. Islam, says Eric, ‘is everything I wanted Christianity to be’. His mother has found it hard to come to terms with her son’s conversion and believes he will return to the Christian faith: ‘Then he will be a dynamic preacher.’ Eric says: ‘Maybe some day she’ll embrace Islam.’

Women are also becoming followers of Muhamed. Yasmine (previously Mindy) arranged a marriage for herself and has three children. Islam, she says is ‘the solution to a lot of the prevailing evils: drugs, adultery, fornication…’ Converts often see the religious laws more clearly than those who have been brought up as Muslims and Yasmine can spot a mistake at 20 paces. She believes that she has a unique opportunity to help people who are born into the religion get back to the fundamentals.

Catherine has been a Muslim for two weeks. She came from a privileged background – private school followed by a career in PR. Now the established Muslim women guide her through the purification rituals as she washes before prayer and removes her nail varnish.

David is the only white Muslim in his little town on Route 66. He believes his new religion makes him a better American and, far from undermining liberties, gives the individual more rights. He had an arranged marriage and his wife, who was born a Muslim, was shocked by the strictness with which he insists they live their lives. His family – a white man with his wife and daughter dressed in their hijabs (headscarves) –are stared in the streets and supermarkets of their one-horse town.

There are 400,000 Muslims in Texas alone and Islam is the fastest growing religion in the USA. Since 9/11 there have been more converts to Islam than ever. Eric believes that people are trying to understand Muslims and want to learn about their religion. Yasmine says: ‘America should not be afraid. If it would be better Muslims were the majority. If a child asks me: “Who made this leaf?� I say, “Allah. Allah made everything.�’

PropellerAds

salam alikum,

i watched that program, thos muslims in texas are really strong,

Bismillah,

salaam,

wow Mash'Allah,

dont i see the past being the future?

remember Madinah?

how people accepted Islam so fast?

mash'Allah...and yet Bush and his evil friends cant do nothing..

look at the plans of Allah, ever guiding those who were misguided and mislead.

mash'Allah.

May Allah guide them all because jahannam should not be a home for any soul.

may Allah safe us from it. Amiin.

jazakallah for sharing.

wa.salam

Jazakumullah for sharing with us.

After 9/11 its like the replay of surah nasr. So many people coming to Islam mashallah.

Assalam Alaykum,

This is so heart warming, I guess in the future America might turn out to be a muslim majority nation... :D insha-Allah.

Masha'Allah this is great indeed. Takbir!!!!!

- MENJ

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.menj(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.menj(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url]

:D

Allaho Akbar!!!

WOW!!! mashallah... very amazing!

Subhanallah ... wal Hamdulillah .... wish i had the kind of iman they do :D

Masha Allah that is great :D . thats the thing about reverts they are really strong. May Allah (S.A.T) make all the muslims strong in Islam. Ameen"

:P

Peace,

As a Texan I don't understand the surprised response from the posters here.

I know i watched that programme, texas is supposed to have them hard knock patriotic americans isn't it... and theyre seing the truth, mashallah

Yes, many of us are "hard knock patriotic americans", including the gentleman mentioned in this article. He even said that Islam made him a better American. There is no paradox there, though some seem to believe it is so.

While Muslims are by no means a significant part of Texas society they are not outcasts by any means. My roommate is Muslim and many of my co-workers are Muslim. None of them are ashamed or feel the need to hide the fact. When people find they are Muslim there is not a negative reaction, in fact it is usually the opposite.

Freedom is deeply respected in Texas, and that includes freedom of religion.

:sl;

Texas Muslims going to take over the US :D

Everything is bigger and better in Texas.... even our Muslims (w00t)