Islamic Forum
Ahsan

Defiant Iran 'takes Another Step In Nuclear Ambitions'

A defiant Iran today reportedly took a further step towards the fulfilment of its nuclear ambitions and doubled its capacity to enrich uranium.

In a move likely to exacerbate fears that the nation is intending to make atomic weapons Tehran has activated a second network of centrifuges thereby increasing two-fold its ability to enrich uranium, according to the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA).

The reported move comes as a strong message to the UN Security Council as it works on a draft resolution that would impose limited sanctions on the Islamic republic because of its refusal to meet a deadline in August to stop its enrichment programme.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2424979,00.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2424979,00.html[/url]

PropellerAds

:D

No one respects the UN's rules, least of all its own members. And they talk of Iran being "defiant".

By the time the UN manages to agree on action, Iran will already have nuclear warheads.

By the time the UN manages to agree on action, Iran will already have nuclear warheads.

I have doubts about Iran reaching to that standard so quickly, but as a nation, they must not lose sight of achieving this credible deterrence, even if they have to bleed or starve. Lets pray that another muslim country becomes nuclear as soon as possible.

Would you call one or two nuclear bombs with questionable "deliverability " a deterence ?

And you would "pray " that more muslim nations attain them ?

You must be praying for Armageddon .

And you would "pray " that more muslim nations attain them ?

You must be praying for Armageddon.

Why is okay for some countries to have nuclear power and others not to?? :D just a general question of you..

So you think that ahmedinizad having nuclear capabilities is calling for armageddon but say bush and his buddy in crime the isareli nation leader having similar capabilities is okay? does that make sense?

:D..

And if you think ahmedinizad is a mad lunatic.. you are entitled to your opinions but based on what?.. what you watched last nite on cnn or the local fox network? and that is enough for you to judge this.. just asking..! bush and co are far worse than him but you probably wont see me eye to eye on that..

I doubt if I would see eye to eye with you on anything , given your statements .

The Western superpowers have had Nukes for over 60 years , without an exchange . The reason is and was M.A.D .-mutually assured destruction , that was the deterent . Not just having nukes , but being able to totally neutralize one another , thereby leaving no victor .

Now if you can apply that to a man who is striving to attain nuclear weapons , claiming to want to wipe out another nation , and also making religious statements alluding to a desire to bring about a muslim version of Armageddon , sorry , I see no comparison there of any sort .

What do you think would have happened , had Iraq or Iran possesed nukles during their war ?

Given prevailing attitudes in the Middle-East , it would not be unfair to say that the desire for nukes, centers around the issue of israel , so I believe there to be a bit more to the issue than deterence .

And yes , I believe Ahamadinejab to be menace , based not, on what I see on the telly , but what he has himself stated publicly .

If you think him to be acting rationally , well then , that's on you , isnt it ?

Now if you can apply that to a man who is striving to attain nuclear weapons , claiming to want to wipe out another nation..
Wondering if you follow what is going on in isreal-palestine everyday.. you speak of wiping out nations.. in the most recent one sided lebanon massacre that occured right now, the israelis did wipe out entire cities.. heck even the only international airport and several power generation facilities were blown up! Thats gota stop and nobody in the muslim world is talking about it. Atleast this guy, mad or otherwise, is talking about it. Whether he will act on his statements or not is a different story.

What do you think would have happened , had Iraq or Iran possesed nukles during their war ?
probably would have wiped each other out.. but that would be a good thing right? according to most people in the west.. :D??

Given prevailing attitudes in the Middle-East , it would not be unfair to say that the desire for nukes, centers around the issue of israel
The israeli atrocities against palestinians in the name of "self defence" and "collateral damage" are getting out of hand and there seems to be no end to the bloodshed. I'm sure you will bring up the talk of suicide bombs and all but why is that happening in the first place huh?? Its like 1:10-100 ratio for every 1 israeli dead they are killing 10-100s of palestinians and nobody is even asking why this is happening.. everyone is too scared!

If you think him to be acting rationally , well then , that's on you , isnt it ?
I never said he was rational but he is just being more vocal on what most western leaders are doing as well but they are being quiet about it. When the lebanese war was going on, usa vetoed the stop-the-war resolution in the un based on "oh the hezobllah needs to be stopped".. first, why is hezbollah there and second "accidentally" demolishing hospitals, airports and places of residences?? totally sickening..

You ask that it centers around israel.. yah it probably does! and they have good reason to! Not that i'm irani nor persian myself you understand but this is just something that is disturbing me about the double policies of the world. Right now there is not a single muslim country in power daring to ask israel about their atrocities.. I think if one or more muslim nations get some good weapons, israel will think twice about simply attacking and killing innocent muslims in palestine. They are running loose and they feel as if they dont have to answer to anyone! so sad and wrong! :D ..

You have said nothing Hasib . First , dont bring up Palestine , because we are talking about Irans nukes , and the leaders irrationality .

The nation he wants to see wiped out is israel , I do not speak of wiping out nations .

So Ahmadinejab is worried about Lebanon , well he should be , he was involved in instigating it .

Is he worried about the genocide against black muslims in Darfur ?

Is he "vocal " on that ? I have not heard a single word from him on that , and 300,000 have died and 2 million are in refugee camps because of the Sudanese Government .

Iran and Iraq wipe each other out ? And you say I would "like that " ?

That's a bit presumptious on your part .

A single muslim country daring to ask israel about its atrocities ?

Is that so ? Vocal but not rational ?

Your statement seems a bit confused .

Now if you can apply that to a man who is striving to attain nuclear weapons , claiming to want to wipe out another nation , and also making religious statements alluding to a desire to bring about a muslim version of Armageddon , sorry , I see no comparison there of any sort .

Agreed, but Rome was not built in a day. It takes time to get militarily strong enough in terms of credibility and second strike capability. But you are trying to deny the capability to Iran outrightly, merely on the basis of polititical slogans and rhetorics. Dont get carried away by these statements cz their aim is to boost up the morale of their own people and nothing else.

Boosting morale by making threatening statements and entering a nuclear arms race ? Wonderfull .

No Rome was not built in a day , but it was burned down overnight .

You speak of a "second strike capability " ? There will be none , you forget , that the superpowers they are railing against have approximately 9000 more nukes , and their accuracy tested and assured . Perhaps Ahmadinejab has forgotten that .

Do you really think that the 6 arab nations now contemplating a nuclear program are doing so because of the U S ?

If so , think about Japan , a nation that swore there would never be nukes in their nation , now after the N.Korean threat , and rantings by its leader , almost 50 % of their elected officials are contemplating this .

Boosting morale by making threatening statements and entering a nuclear arms race ? Wonderfull .

You speak of a "second strike capability " ? There will be none , you forget , that the superpowers they are railing against have approximately 9000 more nukes , and their accuracy tested and assured . Perhaps Ahmadinejab has forgotten that .

Do you really think that the 6 arab nations now contemplating a nuclear program are doing so because of the U S ?

If so , think about Japan , a nation that swore there would never be nukes in their nation , now after the N.Korean threat , and rantings by its leader , almost 50 % of their elected officials are contemplating this .

Yes, morale is infact raised, when you assure your own people to give a meaningful blow to your declared enemy, even if you don't hold the capability on ground. So you are telling me that superpowers will use their unique arsenal of 9000 nukes aginst Iran, lol. These superpowers are still licking their wounds after having failed to stop North Koreans to go for the nuclear test. They can't do that, not in terms of capability, rather due to fear of retaliations, terrorist attacks and allied security considerations in their own countries. So forget about these rusty 9000 nukes.

If japan is considering to build one, they are justified, cz it would be more prudent for them, not to trust US that they are going to come for their rescue. A nation is considered strong cz of its economy and military, Japan is lacking in its military muscle and they must do something after when they are over with their WWII sanctions.

Yes, morale is infact raised, when you assure your own people to give a meaningful blow to your declared enemy, even if you don't hold the capability on ground. So you are telling me that superpowers will use their unique arsenal of 9000 nukes aginst Iran, lol. These superpowers are still licking their wounds after having failed to stop North Koreans to go for the nuclear test. They can't do that, not in terms of capability, rather due to fear of retaliations, terrorist attacks and allied security considerations in their own countries. So forget about these rusty 9000 nukes.

If japan is considering to build one, they are justified, cz it would be more prudent for them, not to trust US that they are going to come for their rescue. A nation is considered strong cz of its economy and military, Japan is lacking in its military muscle and they must do something after when they are over with their WWII sanctions.

Japan is NOT lacking in militray muscle. Believe me, I've been on a few of their ships. Any country that can spare two frigates and a destroyer just for the training of juniour officers is carrying a pretty big stick.

And the main fear of muslim countries having nukes is the mentality of their militray operations. The western world has balked at using nukes for 60 years for fear of their own destruction from retaliatory attacks. The Muslim world has demonstrated time and again that it will attack even if it means disaster for them- they reoutinely use suicide bombers, suicide pilots, etc. We could trust that the russians would not nuke us if there was a possibility they would get nuked back...

but we cannot trust that the Iranians would act the same.

And the main fear of muslim countries having nukes is the mentality of their militray operations.

An assumption, in reality, these have been used by only one country.

An assumption, in reality, these have been used by only one country.

With great effect and thank whoever you believe in that the Americans developed the bomb first.

With great effect and thank whoever you believe in that the Americans developed the bomb first.

Yes, lets thank god that the americans were the first ones to enslave the poorer countries with their nukes.

Yes, lets thank god that the americans were the first ones to enslave the poorer countries with their nukes.

If that is what you believe... Then so be it. Look at Japan and Germany now though.

If that is what you believe... Then so be it. Look at Japan and Germany now though.

Germany and Japan never were poor countries.

When I say Poor, I mean countries in S. America, Africa, and parts of asia

Germany and Japan never were poor countries.

When I say Poor, I mean countries in S. America, Africa, and parts of asia

I don't want to have this discussion right now and I know that we should always strive for the best of worlds, but it is clear to me at least that had the world taken a fascist or communism course we would be far worse off than we are now. Well I would at least, I would be dead.

I think you are placing a little too much importance on our Nukes as tha cause of our dominance.

I have doubts about Iran reaching to that standard so quickly, but as a nation, they must not lose sight of achieving this credible deterrence, even if they have to bleed or starve. Lets pray that another muslim country becomes nuclear as soon as possible.

Like Pakistan you mean? The Pakistani population literally bled and starved in the aftermath of an earthquake, for which the government needed western assistance...but at least they had their bomb with all associated costs.

Muslim countries shouldn't be allowed to have the bomb as they can show no restraint and would see it as a divine weapon. I can handle however Pakistan in the nuclear club as they seem to be a little more sensible than one would expect, and it counters India's arsenal.

Iran is a different kettle of fish. That said though, if they attacked israel to "wipe it off the map" then israel could exercise the rumoured 'Samson' option - which would certainly put the Middle East problem to rest once and for all so the civilised world can enjoy peace.

Salaam all

i personally wish that nukes where never invented, however i am in support of countries having the capability but not using numes... the west actually has enough power to finish of the earth and i hope ahmajinedad recognises that...

then again since pakistan and india have both got nukes they tend to be more diplomatic towards each other and dont send the troops in first but actually talk about thier problems

also i really doubt that wiping out the middle east would let the world enjoy peace i actually had you down as one of the clever ones liecs23 sorry

So Iran has doubled it's enrichment capability from insignificant to negligible. It will take many times more centrifuges to even approach weapons grade uranium by which time they will probably be producing plutonium at their HWR facility anyway.

Unlike some I don't consider Iran any real threat even if they do obtain a nuclear weapon. What bothers me more is the risk of proliferation. Muslims may like to talk about unity but if Iran were to build a bomb I expect a few nearby countries would look at developing their own in reply as much for a status symbol as any true deterrent.

Perhaps if the US hadn't been so eager to isolate Iran after the revolution they could have got the assistance they needed to build up a civilian program without resorting to hidden facilities and the stolen technology passed on by AQ Khan.

Salaam all

also i really doubt that wiping out the middle east would let the world enjoy peace i actually had you down as one of the clever ones liecs23 sorry

Apologies, I just wanted to highlight the ridiculousness of the whole situation. Gorbachev said after the first Gulf War that the Middles East is the powder keg that could blow the world. The Iranian president brings that worrying scenario closer. Is he full of bluster and hot air? I personally wouldn't like to chance it, and can see why israel won't.

What if he got the bomb, the rest of the Middle East would have to create their own deterrent....seriously, I don't see the restraint of the Cold War applying as easily here.