Islamic Forum
BelinQuest

Trinity? And Genesis

I am not sure this is the right forum for the question.

I am not a Christian but occasionally when I have a discussion with Christian friends about the Trinity they point me to this chapter in Genesis:

Quote:

Genesis 18

1 And Yahweh appeared unto him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

2 and he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood over against him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself to the earth,

3 and said, my master, if now I have found favor in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from thy servant:

4 let now a little water be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

Etc...

That doesn't seem sufficient evidence to me.

I know that Muslims do not believe in the Trinity, do they believe that the Bible is the word of God?

Why do Muslims not believe in the Trinity?

Thanks.

PropellerAds

Firstly, welcome to the Islamic Forum BelinQuest! It's very nice to meet you. :D

Secondly, in regards to your question, there is one thing you should know. We believe that God's message is ONE.

It is one message conveyed to different people. Jesus, peace be upon him, conveyed God's message to the Children of israel. Moses, Abraham, and all the other prophets conveyed the same message to their people. It was always the message of Islam. Finally the Prophet Muhammad, may peace and blessings be upon him, conveyed this message universally, for all mankind. It was the same message, but he was to seal the prophets, and he was to recieve an important promise. That Allah perfected for us our religion, and that it would never be corrupted.

But all the prophets before Muhammad, peace be upon him, preached the same message. Now before you get confused, Islam is only an Arabic word literally meaning "submission" and it is the submission to God. All the prophets preached this, and the Torah and Bible in their original state were sent by God as His Word. The scriptures contained the same message: that God is One.

Later on though, the scriptures were corrupted. All but one. The Qur'aan. Of course we do believe in some parts of the Bible, because some parts were never corrupted. But the Qur'aan was never corrupted in its entirety, so we believe that this noble book is the Word of God.

The message of Islam is clear. There is no God but Allah. He has no partners; not in a spiritual nor physical sense nor otherwise. He begets not nor is He begotten. There is no God but Allah.

I know that Muslims do not believe in the Trinity, do they believe that the Bible is the word of God?

Why do Muslims not believe in the Trinity?

Thanks.

Hi BelinQuest

I hope you're in your best health :D

To answer your question, sister Haqqul Yaqeen has explained it brilliantly, carefully highlighting the concept of One God and his messengers.

I would like to add, if suppose God is three persons or possesses three parts, He is assuredly not the Single, Unique, Indivisible Being which God is.

Now lets look at it from another angle, the Trinity allocates God as being three separate entities - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If God is the Father and also the Son, He would then be the Father of Himself because He is His own Son. This is not exactly logical.

In the Qur'an, God's Final Revelations to mankind, we find His stand quite clearly stated in a number of eloquent passages:

"...your God is One God: whoever expects to meet his Lord, let him work

righteousness, and, in the worship of his Lord, admit no one as

partner." (Qur'an 18:110)

"...take not, with God, another object of worship, lest you should be

thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected." (Qur'an 17:39)

"...Because, as God tells us over and over again in a Message that is

echoed throughout All His Revealed Scriptures:

"...I am your Lord and Cherisher: therefore, serve Me (and no other)..."

(Qur'an 21:92)

As a result, the concept of God is cleared up.

To answer whether the Bible is the word of God, sister Haqqul Yaqeen detailed it out correctly.

For an elaborated explanation by a learnt scholar, please take out some time to visit the following link:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.jamaat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/bible/Bible1-3.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.jamaat(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/bible/Bible1-3.html[/url]

I hope this helps

Take care :D

Assalamu alaykum

why do muslims dont believe in trinity?

Well Trinity means God the father, God the son and God the holy ghost, therefore trinitarian believes that father is a God, son is a God and holy ghost is a God but there are not three God but one God, it proceeds The father is almighty, The son is almighty and the holy ghost is almighty but there are not three almighty but one almighty.

The concept of God in Islam is clear and simple in chapter 112

Surah IKhlas(sincerety or purety)

Say: He is Allah, the One and Only; (112:1)

Allah, the Eternal, Absolute; (112:2)

He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; (112:3)

And there is none like unto Him. (112:4)

therefore we muslims dont believe in trintiy, we believe in One and only God almighty

Read the (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.2muslims(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/directory/Quran/translations/English_Hasan_Qaribullah/"]Qur'an here[/url]

wassalam :D

Edited by Risalat

i'm not a christian scholar, but i will pass along my understanding of what the 'trinity' refers to.

it is like Zen says, movement is allied with non-movement, the one cannot be understood without the other. Equally, music would be unintelligable without silence, light would be undifferentiated without darkness.

all of these are matched pairs, and they only seem different because that is the way it is taught.

so when you have a matched pair, for instance music needs both sound and silence, then you have the *whole*, the *union* of sound and silence - this is the third element of a trinity.

i think this is not exactly what christianity is claiming with its trinity, but i do think this is the basis for understanding how something can be one yet be more, simultaneously.

i am not sure if i may post from other religions, but here is an understanding from the hindu religion:

The basis of Krishna’s spiritual instruction, as of all Hinduism,

is the idea that the multitude of things and events around us

are but different manifestations of the same ultimate reality.

This reality, called Brahman, is the unifying concept which

gives Hinduism its essentially monistic character in spite of the

worship of numerous gods and goddesses.

Brahman, the ultimate reality, is understood as the ‘soul’,

or inner essence, of all things. It is infinite and beyond all

concepts; it cannot be comprehended by the intellect, nor

can it be adequately described in words: ‘Brahman, beginningless,

supreme: beyond what is and beyond what is not.‘3-

‘Incomprehensible is that supreme Soul, unlimited, unborn,

not to be reasoned about, unthinkable.‘4 Yet, people want to

talk about this reality and the Hindu sages with their characteristic

penchant for myth have pictured Brahman as divine

and talk about it in mythological language. The various aspects

of the Divine have been given the names of the various gods

worshipped by the Hindus, but the scriptures make it clear

that all these gods are but reflections of the one ultimate

reality :

This that people say, Worship this god! Worship that

god!-one after another-this is his‘[brahman’s] creation

indeed! And he himself is all the gods.5

The manifestation of Brahman in the human soul is called

Atman and the idea that Atman and Brahman, the individual

and the ultimate reality, are one is the essence of the Upanishads:

That which is the finest essence-this whole world has that

as its soul. That is Reality. That is Atman. That art thou.6

Tao of Physics, Fritjof Capra.

obviously this understanding is the same for many moslem spiritual leaders, poets and philosophers, but i do not have their quotes to hand. Really, this understanding transcends any religious barrier, just as guatama buddha has been considered to be an earlier prophet of Islam, like jesu and moses.

Thank you all for your kind replies,

Haqqul, I also believe that God is One but "submission" without logic goes against my instincts:I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use.

I did not know you thought the Bible corrupted, I have found quite a number of inconsistencies in reading it.

What makes you so sure the Qu'raan is without corruption?

Hello, Aamina,

I am well, thank you and I am preparing the impossible riddle for you. I will visit the link you have given and explore the theology in more depth but there is a lot to take in specially when I do not believe in hell since God knows of no sin against Himself that can’t be forgiven.

Risalat,

Greetings and well said, I can see you love God.

The Trinity! I cannot argue with my friends by telling that the Trinity does not exist because the Qu'raan says so. He is a Christian and will tell me that in nature for instance you have Ice - Water - Vapor, three aspects of the one thing.

Gnuneo, these are good points you make and I appreciate the clarity of your reasoning. I understand little about Zen and Buddhism I have read of life's three major impulses: generative (Brahma), preservative (Vishnu),

transformative (Shiva).

Part of my training is to understand the theology of other religion but I suspect I will be busy with Islam for a while.

H. P. Blavatsky, quoting one of the ancient mystically occult works, says in substance: "Fohat is the steed and thought is the rider." If, however, we liken fohat to what the conscious will is in the human being, we must then think only of the lower or substantial parts - the pranic activities - of the human will, for behind the substantial parts stands always the directing and guiding consciousness. Fohat being incessantly active is therefore both formative and destructive, because it is through the ceaseless working of fohat that unending change continues.

The ancient Greeks who liked to simplify concepts called it Eros as distinguished from Agape.