Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Selby

Robitussin

Salaam

I've been a bit under the weather lately and have a bad sore throat, nasal congestion, cough, etc. Is it ok to take a few teaspoons of robitussin, which has a miniscule amount of alcohol in it? I am not sure if it is ethyl alcohol or not, but I am assuming it is. It contains 1.3 percent alcohol.

If it is not permissible to take this, does anyone know of any other major brands of cough medicine which do not contain alcohol?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :D

Peace

PropellerAds

Assalamu alaikum, It is better to avoid the cough syrup that has Alcohol. If there are other choices available, why let any % of Alcohol enter our system.

Here in Canada, we have a couh Syrup, which has worked very well for our family, the name is "BUCKLEY'S', it is a bit strong, but helps quite a bit. I see you are from the USA, so I don't know if you can find it there, I hope you do inshaAllah, if not the best thing would be to check withthe Pharmacy (drug store) aout some other alcohol free choice.

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

do u know any alochol free prescribtion in my reigion

Assalamu alaikum,

do u know any alochol free prescribtion in my reigion

Sorry, I don't know anything about your region. The best thing would be to check with your Pharmacy (Drug Store). I could suggest Honey mixed with lemon juice though. InshaAllah it is a home remedy, and it could help. Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

:D

Where I live, Southwest US, Alcohol-Free verions of many cough/cold medicines are available just look for them in the drug store.

For sore throats, there are this candy-like drops called Luden's. They, to my knowledge, do not have any alcohol in them. But, I like UmAhmed's idea maa shaa Allaah.

Plus, do research online. We have, by the Permission of Allaah, the internet at our fingertips. I'm sure you'll find something.

By the way, "do not worry, it'll be a purification for you, in shaa Allaah"

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother, you can use Robitussin. It doesn't contain the beer type of alcohol. It's not like you'll get drunk off of it or under the influence. It's perfectly safe.

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother, you can use Robitussin. It doesn't contain the beer type of alcohol. It's not like you'll get drunk off of it or under the influence. It's perfectly safe.

I know it isn't going to intoxicate me, but I beleive you are wrong about it not being the beer type alcohol.

What other type of alcohol would they put in it and label as alcohol, besides ethyl alcohol (the beer kind).

Even though it won't make me drunk remember...

If much intoxicates then even a little is haraam.