Islamic Forum
ahamed_sharif

Man Ready To Lose Job For Beard.

Assalamu alaykum

Air Force man may lose job over beard

And if they fail to get any relief they say they are willing to sacrifice their job and not their beard.

Aftab Ahmad may lose his job if he doesn't shave his beard. He joined the Air Force as corporal seven years ago when he was 17.

Three years ago, the Air Force permitted him to grow a beard but a month later, Aftab was told to shave it off as per air force regulations.

Another person Zubair too had a similar story. Both moved the Punjab and Haryana High Court and got a stay.

But now, the court has decided the case in favour of the Air Force.

''The honorable judge has given a reasoning that it is not essential for a Muslim to keep a beard but now the question is that the regulation say that a true Muslim, if wants to keep a beard he should be permitted to keep a beard,'' says Navkiran Singh, lawyer for Aftab and Zubair.

In 2003, the Air Force issued an instruction that said all Muslims who had beard at the time of recruitment and who joined the Force before the 1st of January 2002 can sport a beard. But there was a restriction on its length.

Elders in the Muslim community are not amused.

''Beard is must in Islam. Muslims should have beard without even to offer Nimaz,'' says Maulana Mohd Ajmal Khan, Imam, Jama Masjid, Chandigarh.

The two Air Force men are not giving up. They will continue their fight in the court. And if they fail to get any relief they say they are willing to sacrifice their job and not their beard.

PropellerAds

:sl:

May Allaah provide them with better sources of Rizq, as jobs are means only.

Ameen.

Moderators, unless proven otherwise lets not make this a forum of nice sweet stories. I would have appreciated a link to a newspaper or something to prove this is a genuine story. There are many people who "suffer" because of their piousness.

As for the learned "Maulana" of Chandifarh, a beard is sunnah, not farsh, not waajib but sunnah. My home town in northern Pakistan is being ruined in the name of Islam by so called champions. I will not debate that here but it is sad that we have people like this guy issueing fatwas of no value to spoil our great religion.

Assalamu alaykum

''Beard is must in Islam. Muslims should have beard without even to offer Nimaz,'' says Maulana Mohd Ajmal Khan, Imam, Jama Masjid, Chandigarh.

Edited by laevanay

I will not debate that here but it is sad that we have people like this guy issueing fatwas of no value to spoil our great religion.

It seems to me that you are degrading Islamic teachings by making a baseless allegation against Islam. I have read your two posts on separate threads and I find that you are contradicting Islamic teachings. Do you know that growing beard is a great Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)?

Ibn `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet Muhammad(peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Be distinguished from disbelievers, grow your beards, and shave your mustaches.” In the Hadith, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) related the reason for growing a beard to the necessity of distinguishing Muslims from non-Muslims.

Who are you laevanay?

Assalamu alaykum

Moderators, unless proven otherwise lets not make this a forum of nice sweet stories. I would have appreciated a link to a newspaper or something to prove this is a genuine story.

Wallah this is true. And I need not convince a hypocrite.

a beard is sunnah, not farsh, not waajib but sunnah

The scholars say: If you do not follow sunnah it is upto you. But to degrade a sunnah is kufr.

My home town in northern Pakistan is being ruined in the name of Islam by so called champions.

Allah swt nusrat will reach to champions of Islam.

we have people like this guy issueing fatwas of no value to spoil our great religion.

Luckily you were not there during Syeduna Umar RA period, otherwise he would have beheaded you.

shukran

mr ######: Be a man and tell me please where am I making a "baseless allegation against Islam." I know growing a beard is a sunnah and I mentioned it. Its SUNNAH, NOT FARD, NOT WAJIB. You get blessings from Allah if you grow one BUT IF YOU DON"T YOU DO NOT GET PUNISHED FOR IT.

There are many israelis, americans, canadians with beards, just because they have beards does not make them any pious than those without. AND I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE MUSLIMS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEARDS.[using large font size is not allowed]

Why does it matter who I am to you? I have been a member from the past 3-4 years. You can unicast me and I will tell you who I am, but why does that matter? Is it because I do not believe your version of "Islam" you don't like someone with a differnt view? No I am not a Wahabi..... I am from Pakistan. I am a pakhtun.

BTW: who are you?

It seems to me that you are degrading Islamic teachings by making a baseless allegation against Islam. I have read your two posts on separate threads and I find that you are contradicting Islamic teachings. Do you know that growing beard is a great Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)?

Ibn `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet Muhammad(peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Be distinguished from disbelievers, grow your beards, and shave your mustaches.†In the Hadith, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) related the reason for growing a beard to the necessity of distinguishing Muslims from non-Muslims.

Who are you laevanay?

Assalamu alaykum

Its SUNNAH, NOT FARD, NOT WAJIB. You get blessings from Allah if you grow one BUT IF YOU DON"T YOU DO NOT GET PUNISHED FOR IT.

Degrading a sunnah is kufr. You may not be following a sunnah, but words used here will surely lead to kufr.

There are many israelis, americans, canadians with beards, just because they have beards does not make them any pious than those without. AND I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE MUSLIMS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEARDS.

Why this, even Abu Jahal, firaon, haamaan etc had beards. That is not the issue here. Rasulullah Sallahi alayhi wa sallam had beard, sahabh had beard. So rejecting this sunnah will lead one to kufr.

Dear Brother Ahmad Sharif :sl: :

If a mullah or anyone claiming to be knowledgeable in Islam issues a fatwa out of thin air saying something wrong like making a beard fard against the injunctions of Islam, it is not only my but your duty to stand up and correct him.

This guy is totally wrong in calling a beard a "MUST" meaning it has become a fard. That is wrong and you must agree with me on this. It is our duty to call what is right right and what is wrong wrong. Ask the ######....

Luckily you were not there during Syeduna Umar RA period, otherwise he would have beheaded you.

shukran

I doubt if I were alive during our golden period would have anyone beheaded me because I stood up and questioned authority. I guess Islam nowadays has become a joke that "muslims" like to chop off others heads because of no reason in the name of our great religion Islam.

I remember our Imam in Peshawar told of a very famous incident in which Hazrath Umar(PBUH) was challenged by a comman man in the Masjid during a khuthba regarding his shawl. I cannot recall the incident well enough to narrate it but I am sure if you ask someone might point you to the right story and if you could please share it with us that would be great.

Edited by laevanay

mr ######: Be a man and tell me please where am I making a "baseless allegation against Islam." I know growing a beard is a sunnah and I mentioned it. Its SUNNAH, NOT FARD, NOT WAJIB. You get blessings from Allah if you grow one BUT IF YOU DON"T YOU DO NOT GET PUNISHED FOR IT.

If you really love Allah, you must obey His messenger the prophet Muhammad (peace and bless be upon him):

"Say (O Muhammad to mankind): “If you (really) love Allâh then follow me (i.e. accept Islâmic Monotheism, follow the Qur’ªn and the Sunnah), Allâh will love you and forgive you your sins. And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.” (Qur’an 3: 31)

Do you follow His messenger? Growing beard is a GREAT Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

“Ibn `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Be distinguished from disbelievers, grow your beards, and shave your mustaches.

In the Hadith, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) related the reason for growing a beard to the necessity of distinguishing Muslims from non-Muslims. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) wanted to teach Muslims how to be distinguished in their appearance, and their behavior.

Besides, shaving beard is an act of revolting against the nature of man, and imitating women. Thus, beard is a sign of maturity and manhood. However, growing a beard does not mean letting it stretch to an unreasonable width or length; rather, it adds to one’s handsomeness when it’s trimmed a bit or shaped from edges. This was the practice of the Salaf (righteous ancestors).

Shaving beards represents an act of imitating non-Muslims as well as ignoring the guidance of their Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who said: “Whoever imitates a people, he is one of them.

Many scholars made it prohibited Haram to shave beard, and they based it on the Prophet’s reasoning. To them, it is mandatory to grow the beard. It was not narrated ever about the righteous companions, and the Salaf (Successors) ignored this matter.

In reality, the Prophet’s insistence on growing a beard is not a matter of tradition but his deliberate insistence on the signs of distinction between Muslims and non-Muslims. Ibn Taimiyah stated that being different from non-believers was what the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) meant as imitating them would lead to companionship, loyalty, and internal love which, on its turn, would lead to external love, and this has been proven right nowadays.

Imam Ibn Taimiyah proceeded to say that, in many places in the Qur’an and the Sunnah, the importance of being distinctive from non-believers is reiterated given the fact that imitating them would also lead to behavioral imitation, a matter that is prohibited Islamically.

It is true that none of the Companions was known to have shaved his beard.

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

"Growing a beard is considered a great Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is also one of the great legacies inherited from all of the previous prophets and messengers of Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us: “Grow your beards and trim or clip the moustaches.” In light of such precedents, most of the past scholars and Imams go as far as declaring that growing a beard is obligatory on males.

There are many israelis, americans, canadians with beards, just because they have beards does not make them any pious than those without. AND I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE MUSLIMS BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEARDS.[using large font size is not allowed]

You are disputing the Sunnah of the prophet Muhammad. A true Muslim will not dispute his teachings.

Why does it matter who I am to you? I have been a member from the past 3-4 years. You can unicast me and I will tell you who I am, but why does that matter? Is it because I do not believe your version of "Islam" you don't like someone with a differnt view? No I am not a Wahabi..... I am from Pakistan. I am a pakhtun.

My version of Islam is based on the Holy Quran and Sunnah.

BTW: who are you?

An ordinary Muslim who will not hesitate to refute your allegations if they are against Islam.

Assalamu alaykum

If a mullah or anyone claiming to be knowledgeable in Islam issues a fatwa out of thin air saying something wrong like making a beard fard against the injunctions of Islam, it is not only my but your duty to stand up and correct him.

This guy is totally wrong in calling a beard a "MUST" meaning it has become a fard. That is wrong and you must agree with me on this. It is our duty to call what is right right and what is wrong wrong. Ask the ######....

Then who should issue a fatwah, a coblar, a carpentar. Unless you use a word MUST the hindu society of India will ask all the muslim government servants and workers in public sector to remove their beard. So he has used the word MUST to this hindu society, he didn't make it fardh.

I doubt if I were alive during our golden period would have anyone beheaded me because I stood up and questioned authority. I guess Islam nowadays has become a joke that "muslims" like to chop off others heads because of no reason in the name of our great religion Islam.

The way you have projected SUNNAH as ordinary, why Syeduna Umar RA would, even a normal sahabi would not have objected to your tone. You are talking about Syeduna Umar RA shawl, there are many incidents where sahabah objected to many deviations in sunnah. Read that too.

Let us reinitiate the discussion now:

Who should follow fardh.

Who should follow waajib.

who should follow sunnah and mustahib.

And

Who should not follow fardh, wajib, sunnah and mustahib.

If you are categorizing, back up with evidence.

shukran

Janab Sharif sahab,

I wear a beard too. My lot of freinds in govt. and corporate services also wear beard. This issue needs to be addressed at a higher level. A group of public servents from different departments need to give a joint statement to the govt. for the issue. Indian culture has tradition of beard among the hindu spiritual personalitites and others. It is the britishers which have given the culture and protocols followed by the Indian army. Rather it is a symbol of the past british rule and thus symbolises Indian dishonour. In a country like ours, where language and cultures change every 500 miles, what is the need to adhere to british culture. If this criteria is not present in the police, why should it be in the army?

Assalamualikum sisters and brothers in Islam,

Let us read the Holy Quran:

Those who reject Allah, hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, and resist the Messenger, after Guidance has been clearly shown to them, will not injure Allah in the least, but He will make their deeds of no effect. O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger, and make not vain your deeds! Those who reject Allah, and hinder (men) from the Path of Allah, then die rejecting Allah,- Allah will not forgive them. The Holy Quran 47: 32-34

Do you obey His messenger? Growing beard is a GREAT Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

“Ibn `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Be distinguished from disbelievers, grow your beards, and shave your mustaches.”

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

"Growing a beard is considered a great Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). It is also one of the great legacies inherited from all of the previous prophets and messengers of Allah. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) ordered us: “Grow your beards and trim or clip the moustaches.”

In light of such precedents, most of the past scholars and Imams go as far as declaring that growing a beard is obligatory on males. The fact is none of the Companions of the prophet Muhammad was known to have shaved his beard.

Salamu alaykum,

beard is a great sunnah exactly like bro wise guy told us. But sometimes bcuz of some political things you cant just grow your beard. Why? For example in Turkey you cannot grow a beard if you're a teacher in a school. Cuz you are not allowed to do so. I know its stupid but theres no way to do anything but to shave your beard in this case. Because a man must work and feed his children at home and he is responsbile for that.

W/salam sister muzur,

If ignorant Muslims of a Muslim country elect hypocrites to become their leaders, I will not be surprised to see the hypocrites making a mockery of Islam. The first thing to do is to elect Islamic leaders to govern Muslim countries and banish the hypocrites from Muslim countries because the hypocrites serve the enemies of Islam.

Salam alaykum,

^ exactly i agree bro! So i voted for akp, at least they serve so good to muslims, they pray 5 times a day and fast in ramazan. So it means they are Allah-fearing muslims and we voted for them like the rest of religious people... But still the kuffar shouts so loudly and it seems all the laws serve these kuffar. akp tried to change those but its not so easy...

W/salam sister muzur,

Yes its not so easy as long as the hypocrites control the armed forces, economy and politics. Muslims must wake up and obey Allah and His messenger.

Assalamu alaykum.

Here in India, the fanatic hindus quote Turkey to ban Hijab and beard in India. But Alhamdulillah by grace of Allah swt, muslims in India fight for their rights and seeing the nusrah of Allah swt. So growing a feet length of beard in a muslim country cannot be called a sacrifice, it can be called a sunnah only. But growing a beard, whatever length let it be is a sunnah and a mujahidah against the circumstances. So we get double rewards here.

Edited by ahamed_sharif

OK, first I was blamed for degrading Islamic teachings by saying beard is a Sunnah. This so-called thinks of himself as a "######" issued this fatwa and this debate started. It was not an issue but like all emotional mullahs he had to start a fight only to prove my point that Beard is a Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (PBUH). (Not to mention he wants to know who I am..... should I pack up and change my village?) lolzzzz

It seems to me that you are degrading Islamic teachings by making a baseless allegation against Islam. I

Who are you laevanay?

I am not in any way against a beard. I have no issues with a beard. I do not have one, but I have no issues with one. All I wanted to do is point out that a mullah incorrectly made a Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) more like a Fardh which is incorrect.

Chop-my-head-off Ahmed_Sharif comes and says how dare I say Beard is a Sunnah and challenge our ignorance in saying so? His reply below of its OK to twist and turn Islamic injunctions for political reasons. This is wrong in itself and I do not agree with it. You cannot play with Islam for political gains in fact if you look at history that is the reason of our downfall. I care very little if India uses Turkey as an example or vice versa. We are not dicussing politics here.

Then who should issue a fatwah, a coblar, a carpentar. Unless you use a word MUST the hindu society of India will ask all the muslim government servants and workers in public sector to remove their beard. So he has used the word MUST to this hindu society, he didn't make it fardh.

The way you have projected SUNNAH as ordinary, why Syeduna Umar RA would, even a normal sahabi would not have objected to your tone. You are talking about Syeduna Umar RA shawl, there are many incidents where sahabah objected to many deviations in sunnah. Read that too.

Let us reinitiate the discussion now:

Who should follow fardh.

And

shukran

Only a religious scholar should issue fatwa, not you, certainly not me, nor cobblers nor ignorant mullahs only RELIGIOUS SCHOLARS. Who is a scholar would be the next logical question (after where does laevanay live so we can chop off his head!!!!) A religious scholar is one who has command of the arabic language of the Holy Book, a command of history (of the time of our Holy Prophet (PBUH) till present) of the Holy Book itself and Sunnah (israeli yaath, collection of etc). Equally necessary is that he have knowledge of today’s sciences and other religions.

OK to the next point of chop-my-head-off Ahmed_Sharif of who should follow what? Fardh is a must . Its why man was created. No Blessings/Sawaab for Fardh actions . It is our duty to perform these actions towards Allah. Wajib, holds the weight of Fard and are implied compulsory . Sunnah and Mustahib are recommeded actions. Actions performed, approved and liked by the Holy Prophet (PBUH) BUT are NOT COMPULSORY and therefore if you perform these actions will get Blessings from Allah and no punishment if you do not. So accordingly, Fard we must (no choice) perform, Wajib we should (try our level best to) perform and left with Sunnah we should perform for "extra credit" for which we will get Blessings/Sawaab from Allah but NOT PUNISHMENT if we don't. A good muslim will try to get as much "extra credit" as he can by following the Sunnah of the Rasool of Allah (PBUH).

If any of you intend on sending me a barrage of Ahadeeth regarding Sunnah like ###### who when left with no arguments takes the discussion on to a different direction, I am not arguing that Sunnah is not important, I am arguing where it stands in Islamic Jurisprudence.

The reason I am objecting and can object as Chop-my-head-off Ahmed_Sharif pointed out (the actual story I wish he would have posted as it has escaped my memory and goes against both the arguments ###### and Ahmed_Sharif) is that everyday common Muslims have stood up and have challenged the Emir at their time without losing their heads :sl:

Laevanay

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

You need to know that there are different definitions of Sunnah.

What you were talking about was the definition of Sunnah the Jurists/Fuqahaa' use which means mustahhab. However, Sunnah has different meaning depending on the category of scholar.

The scholars of legal theory when they say Sunnah they do not mean Mustahhab, but the actions, approvals, and speech of the Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa Sallam. Here the Sunnah means that it is confirmed through the speech, approval, and action that this particular information is Sunnah. This could be an Obligatory Sunnah, a Makrooh Sunnah, etc. Only the time after the First Encounter with Jibreel is Sunnah. The opposite here is not Fardh/Makrooh/Haram etc. but Bid'ah.

The scholars of Hadeeth have a yet different definition of the word Sunnah which are similar to that of the legal theorists, but all part of the seerah of the prophet not mentioned in Qur'an is Sunnah. This even included any part of the seerah that happened before Prophethood.

Sunnah can also refer to the Source of Sharee'ah which is not from Qur'an.

Before, we read fatawa we first should acquaint ourselves with the definition of Sunnah in the different contexts and the we should find out which one is used in the fatwa. Do they mean Mustahhab or the opposite of Bid'ah?

There is no companion that did not shave their beards. Therefore, this practice is like an Ijmaa of the Sahaba which is an infallible source of sharee'ah. If all sahaba practice something then it means it must be a Sunnah of the Prophet and a Fardh Sunnah.

Don't we have a this topic in the controversial issues?

i do think that his statement has been taken out of context. He was simply saying its not a fard but a sunnah!

However since he is talking about Wajib and Sunnah let me make this clear.. if reading TARAWEEH in ramadan is Wajib (and it is for hanafis and others) then keeping a beard is FARD (or should be) WHY?

Here is a hadeeth (not 100% perfect but you will recognise/remember it if you have heard it before)

Holy prophet (pbuh) came out of his "room" and prayed traweeh, but He (Pbuh) didnt come out the next day so we (sahabis) asked him and He (pbuh) replied "If i had come out, i was in fear that Allah would make this a fard and it would be hard on you"

So despite this traweeh is a wajib, but is there any hadeeth that says "Prophet (pbuh) shaved off his beard so that it doesnt become a burden on us". Furthermore it says in the Quran "Follow Allah and rasool" (arabic: Atee-ullah watee ur rasool) so tell me does shaving a beard means you are following your prophet or going against it? Furthermore, Should we follow our Prophets or westerners? If you say "prophet" then why not keep a beard?

I know I may be wrong in the way i have interpreted that hadeeth, but it is just my understanding so please dont have a go at me :sl:

Assalamu Alaikum, as one of the brother had asked, Yes there is a section dedicated to the topic about the BEARD, please whoever is interested, you can check for the Fatwas there.

Here is the link:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25762.html&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25762.html&[/url]

A polite request to the brothers: Please keep to the Topic and also be respectful to each other.

Assalamu alaikum.

Assalamu alaykum

Unless you use a word MUST the hindu society of India will ask all the muslim government servants and workers in public sector to remove their beard. So he has used the word MUST to this hindu society, he didn't make it fardh.

You missed it. When we say MUST to a hindu society, what is politics in that. The judge asked for evidence to this muslim brother, whether beard is MUST or not? So Imam said yes it is a must. What Imam should have done, Say it not a must, then ask this muslim brother to shave of his beard. When he said must, you are not the receiver, it won't become fardh or wajib on you. But to degrade a sunnah is kufr.

Secondly.

You know the definitions of sunnah, mustahib, wajib and fardh.

Who should follow fardh.

And

So if you know beard is sunnah and you have social complications or you look handsome without a beard or you like to follow the western masters, it is upto you. But please don't come in the way of a muslim brother who is fighting for a sunnah.

First of all thank you Shez. You are right on the point that I am making but the others are deviating from. You are correct in your assumptions but I would like to ask did our Holy Prophet (PBUH) turn away from anyone or detested anyone who did not have a beard? If I am not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) but Hazrat Bilal did not have a beard. I agree with you, we can skip the Sunnah of prayers if need be, but must perform the fardh. But the fardh too has been made easy at times of travel, so you are nearing my point of Sunnah is flexible, fardh is our duty ... its in my post earlier. But thanks for your cool head and understanding.

To umAhmad thank you for joining although you are late to the party. I wish you came in earlier when I am being blamed for degrading our religion and having my head chopped by these narrow minded and intollerant people but better late than never. :no: I will be looking at the link you posted, thank you. But again I am not debating the importance of the beard but where it stands in Islam.

To Yusha Isra'eel thank you for clearing that up. I do come from a legal background and therefore my approach. But I am not debating the importance of beard in Islam, or if we have one we are more muslim than one without? I have not gone to the link but is there evidence that the Holy Prophet (PBUH) frowned upon not having a beard?

To my friend Chop-My-Head-Off Ahamad_Sharif/sorry I thought you were Ah'madh (who keeps on insisting I am degrading a Sunnah), the better approach to that would have been to clearly state what Islam says about a beard and not fabricate anything. Again, and lets all be honest here, this imam did nothing but twist and turn the injunctions of our religion for political benefit. If the judge asked for his opinion he should have given the opinion of Allah and His Rasool and not his own opinion. That is what is the duty of a true scholar.

Assalamu alaykum

You missed it. When we say MUST to a hindu society, what is politics in that. The judge asked for evidence to this muslim brother, whether beard is MUST or not? So Imam said yes it is a must. What Imam should have done, Say it not a must, then ask this muslim brother to shave of his beard. When he said must, you are not the receiver, it won't become fardh or wajib on you. But to degrade a sunnah is kufr.

Secondly.

You know the definitions of sunnah, mustahib, wajib and fardh.

So if you know beard is sunnah and you have social complications or you look handsome without a beard or you like to follow the western masters, it is upto you. But please don't come in the way of a muslim brother who is fighting for a sunnah.

To his second comment, I would like to thank him for acknowledging the fact that I know what Fardh, Sunnah etc are. Thank you! As for proof of categorizing, my dear friend I am sure you can read the post of Yusha Isra'eel which is very good or ask any learned muslim and he will tell you. Apparently no matter what I post to you, you are unable to understand it so its better if you hear it from someone else.

I know beard is Sunnah and I already told you I do not have one. No complications at work, nothing, but I do not have one. No reason NOT to have one, but I do not, I am not imitating anyone just my own personal choice. Should I have one, you are 100% correct I should, MUST I have one, I think not. It is something our Holy Prophet (PBUH) liked and approved, like many other things including vinegar and honey, and it is something we all as muslims SHOULD TRY to adopt and perform BUT IT IS NOT COMPULSORY/FARDH. It is prefered or like I say "extra credit." You can perform 0, 6, 8,10 rakats of Taraweeh or 22 of Hazrath Umar.

I do brush my teeth using a toothbrush and toothpaste, ride in cars, and use the internet and computer for this debate and wear pants :sl: YES!!! I wear pants!!!!! All things which are habits and imitations of the Western masters, and like it or not you are too!!!!! .... imitating western masters (thank you for the great laugh, I have not enjoyed a large hearty laugh in a while.)

Once more, I am NOT degrading a Sunnah, keeping a beard is sunnah. Sorry if it does not fit into your Islam but the Islam of Allah from Hazrath Aadham to our Holy Prophet (PBUH) says so. No where does it say (until I read the link posted by umAhmad) that a beard is fardh and is one of the Fundamentals of Islam (one of the 5 pillars of Islam) or that anyone without a beard is not a muslim.

Laevanay

Assalamu alaykum

this imam did nothing but twist and turn the injunctions of our religion for political benefit. If the judge asked for his opinion he should have given the opinion of Allah and His Rasool and not his own opinion. That is what is the duty of a true scholar.

Please what is the political benefit here?

You expect the imam to say "Beard is sunnah, which is optional, so this man MUST shave is beard"

Secondly, I hope this must not happen to you. Some one dies the judge asks "where in quran is it written to wash, wrap, pray janazah prayers for a dead muslim?". Should the Imam say it is not written in quran. So he can be burnt (cremated).

Who and who should not the follow sunnah? this question is long pending.

To my friend Chop-My-Head-Off Ahamad_Sharif/sorry I thought you were Ah'madh (who keeps on insisting I am degrading a Sunnah), the better approach to that would have been to clearly state what Islam says about a beard and not fabricate anything. Again, and lets all be honest here, this imam did nothing but twist and turn the injunctions of our religion for political benefit. If the judge asked for his opinion he should have given the opinion of Allah and His Rasool and not his own opinion. That is what is the duty of a true scholar.

You laevanay have slandered a Muslim scholar.

The Holy Quran says that we Muslims must obey Allah and His messenger the prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him):

And obey Allah and the Messenger; that ye may obtain mercy. The Holy Quran 3:132.

Now I ask you : Will you obey the prophet Muhammad?

Growing beard is a GREAT Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

“Ibn `Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying: “Be distinguished from disbelievers, grow your beards, and shave your mustaches.” Shaving beards represents an act of imitating non-Muslims as well as ignoring the guidance of their Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) who said: “Whoever imitates a people, he is one of them.

Many scholars made it prohibited Haram to shave beard, and they based it on the Prophet’s reasoning. To them, it is mandatory to grow the beard. It was not narrated ever about the righteous companions, and the Salaf (Successors) ignored this matter.

Of course you are exempted because you don't have any beards to grow. How about other Muslim people who are able to grow their beards?

The prophet Muhammad said "grow your beards". Will you obey him? Would you like to see Muslims to obey the prophet Muhammad? Will you hinder the effort of Muslims men to grow beard?

When the prophet Muhammad said "grow your beards", the saying sounds like an order. Did he give us any other choices? No !

We Muslims are ordered to obey Allah and the prophet Muhammad. In other word, to obey the prophet Muhammad is to follow and practise his Sunnah. Will you defy the prophet Muhammad's Sunnah?

Let us make an example:

If the police says " you cannot enter this area". Do you think that it is an order? Do you think the police is giving you two choices that you can either enter the area or leave the area? Or do you think that you can create your own rule that by climbing the fence in order to enter the area?

It is our right as a Muslim to grow our beard and we grow our beard because we love and obey the prophet Muhammad. And I will not hesitate to debate with you if you make misleading allegations against Islam.