Islamic Forum
Kristina

Islam In Czech Republic

Asalamu Aleikum,

so I thought I'd share about Islam where I live in Czech Republic.

In the entire country (Czech Republic is small - about the size of the American state of Pennsylvania) there are only two Masjids. One is in the capital city of Prague and the other is in the 2nd largest Czech city called Brno, where I live.

There are more Muslims in Prague, because as the capital city it is very international and there are many immigrants from Muslim countries that live work and study here.

Brno has around 250 Muslims to its name. Many Muslims living 1-2 hours outside of Brno come here to our Masjid because it is the closest option. The Brno Muslims are, in my estimation, about 70% born Muslims from Islamic countries (Arabs, Bosnians, and Muslims from Islamic countries of the former USSR) and a healthy and ever growing 30% of Czech Muslim reverts (which I can proudly count myself among).

to check us out online visit: (www.)"http://islamweb.cz/"]islamweb.cz/[/url]

Muslims are an unusual sight in Brno (there really arent many of us) and in Czech culture it is not considered rude to stare. So you get a LOT of stares in hijab. Occasionally the stares are hostile, but most often they are just curious. I have never been harassed as a Muslim here, and Czechs are in general accepting and passive of what they don't understand (--religion -- CR is 98 percent atheist by surveys made in the last 15 years, and they are bewildered as to why anyone would want to beleive in God).

A lot of people are interested in hearing about what Islam means and as a result there are more and more converts.

Downsides to being a Muslim here though-

there is not a single singular shop or restaurant that sells/serves halal meat in Brno. There are a few places in Peague, but not here in Brno.

Occasionally the Masjid gets frozen halal sent to it, and it sells that directly in the Masjid. But it runs out quickly so you have little chance of getting any. : /

If anyone was interested in comming here and opening a halal foodmart I'm sure theyd get great business.

PropellerAds

:D / Peace to all,

Welcome to the forum sis! Masya'Allaah, its really interesting facts you presented us with.

What are the usual occupations of the Muslims there? Are the Muslims there mostly citizens?

And Masya'Allaah you are a revert. Thats great sis. Alhamdulillaah. You said that the population of reverts are increasing over there. Can you explain further? Like who is doing the da'wah? Why in your opinion there is an increase in the reversion?

Thanks sis! And also :D for sharing :D

Sis Zabrina

Asalamu Aleikum sister Zabrina!

Some of the immigrant Muslims here are citizens, although I would say most are not. Usually they have permanent or long term visas. However, many of them have had children born to them here, which makes their children Czech citizens (usually with dual citizenship).

We have a lot of natively Arabian Muslims here from mainly the following countries: Syria, Algeria, Yemen, Morocco and Kuwait. These Muslims tend to come from large poor families where they had to sacrifice education in order to work as soon as they were able and support their families. As a result, they work here mainly opening their own small food stores, kiosks and currency exchange businesses. If they don't have enough money to open one, they work for another Muslim who has one.

The other large group of Muslim immigrants are from Bosnia or the former USSR countries such as Georgia, Uzbekistan, Kazakstan, and all the other "stan"s. Imigrants from these countries usually had better access to education, and as a result tend to work in better paying jobs. Such as working in technical/computer companies etc.

The Muslim population is increasing at a good speed with native converts. However, there is not much dawah going on here. Every so often the Masjid has an "open house" day, which brings people in and offers information for them about Islam. But there is no regular programs etc for Dawah. Mainly it's been people who were interested on their own and came to the Masjid to ask questions. The majority of our reverts are women. This in part because maybe half of them learned about Islam from Muslim men they later married. But plenty of the reverts came entirely on their own. In my opinion, Czech people are beginning to look for faith. The affects of communism are finally wearing off. And they are searching. It leads many to discover Islam, Alhamdulillah.

InshaAllah as the Ummah grows here there will be the funds and enough dedicated people to develope Dawah in this hungry country and lead others to Islam.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_imane.sblog.cz/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_imane.sblog.cz/[/url] blog about Islam in czech republic

Salaams Katrina. Thank you for these information. I hope you will suply us with some more soon.

I am very interested in life of Muslims in Czech. How many are there? You mentioned Bosnians, how big is there number, do they come to Masjid?

I found on the web that there was an incident in March this year.

I'm intersted because Czech is not so far from me and I know very few things about Islam there.

Now I am trying to make some efforts about the blog for European Muslims.

Euroislam blog