Islamic Forum
anthony19832005

The Battle Of The Camel

Peace I was browsing the web about the Battle of Badr, and subsequently got to a place where it said Aisha and Ali fought a battle against one another.

After the khilafat (period of ruling the Muslims) of Umar ibn al Khatab, Aisha was among those who opposed some of the policies of the third khalifa (ruler of the Muslims), Uthman. Yet, when Ali became khalifa, Aisha demanded that the assassination of Uthman should be avenged. She joined forces with some of the companions of the Prophet and rebelled against Ali ibn Abi Talib, the fourth khalifa. Ali defeated her forces during the “Battle of the Camel†and she was captured. Ali treated her graciously and sent her back to Medina, where she died in 678, after about 20 years. (source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996015430&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam/AskAboutIslamE/AskAboutIslamE"]IslamOnline[/url]

Does anyone know more details about why Aisha would do this? And if Caliph Ali sent her back to Medina, did they maintain friendly relations or were they bitter one against another?

Salaam

PropellerAds

Peace,

I've heard that Aisha, May Allah be pleased with her was there not as the leader, but as a representative with the group; that she was there as a mediator, not a fighter!

Also, do you know that she was only 14 years of age at the time?

And people think the Prophet Peace Be Upon Him married a kid!?

Peace I was browsing the web about the Battle of Badr, and subsequently got to a place where it said Aisha and Ali fought a battle against one another.

Does anyone know more details about why Aisha would do this? And if Caliph Ali sent her back to Medina, did they maintain friendly relations or were they bitter one against another?

Salaam

Walaikum Salam

I believe Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) fought a battle against Ali (RA) because of the death of caliph Uthman (RA)

Read this link:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_islamtoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id=53&main_cat_id=2"]source[/url]

Edited by Aamina

Peace

Thank you very much for the links, it clears quite a few things up. I was shocked when I first heard about this because it seemed incomprehensible, but now I understand.

Salaam

:D

:D bro anthony for bringing this up and sis Aamina for the links, I have learned some new things today.

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Please, read the texts before you post them.

No one knows by what right Ayesha, Talha and Zubayr were seeking vengeance for Uthman's blood. None of them bore any relationship to Uthman. Each of them belonged to a different clan. Uthman's next of kin were his widow, Naila, and his sons and daughters, and they were not seeking any vengeance from anyone. It was only after his assassination that Uthman found self-appointed paladins of both sexes, ready and eager to "protect" him!

Ayesha could not see Ali on the throne of khilafat. Her hatred of Ali was overpowering. If someone other than Ali had become khalifa, she might not have embarked upon the cynical adventure in which tens of thousands of Muslims were killed. Whereas, the real casus belli in her case was her undiluted hatred of Ali, she also found another reason to press the campaign against him with vigor. In the event of her success in removing Ali from the center of power, she was going to make her nephew and adopted son, Abdullah bin Zubayr, the new khalifa.

No one of the above is seeking vengeance and the claim that Ayesha could not see Ali on the throne of khilafat is a lie. They did not even start any battle. The battle of the camel was neither started by Ali abi Talib nor by Ayesha, Zubayr, and Talha, but by those Khawarij who are responsible for the murder of Uthmaan. The murderers of Uthmaan ibn Affaan infiltrated the army of Ali abi Talib. They are the ones who attacked the army of Zubayr and Talha during night. They are the ones who killed Uthmaan and they were the ones who caused the fight between Ali and Zubayr/Talha, because they thought that Ali's army attacked.

The Khawarij were not a sect yet because they were still in the army of Ali abi Talib. When they separated from the army of Ali then they were called Khawarij. However, these type of people were already around in the time of Rasulullah salla Allahu alayhi wa Sallam.

Ali was not Khalifaa yet. Zubayr, Talha and Ayesha were just making shura with Ali abi Talib. They wanted to put the murderers to justice, but the family of the murdered must come forth. In Islamic Law the family of the murdered decides if the murderer is executed or if he has to pay blood money.

After the conflict, the family of Uthmaan ibn Affaan with their leader Mu'awiyah wanted the killers of Uthmaan to be put to justice and they knew that the Khawarij must be handed over to them. Both Ali and Mu'awiya wanted the same thing but Ali wanted to have pledge of allegiance for Khaleefa first, but Mu'awiyah wanted him to hand the murderers of Uthmaan first. This cause the next battle, but this fight was of course also caused by the Khawarij. When Mu'awiyah gave up and Ali made peace with Mu'awiyah, the Khawarij broke off from the army of Ali abi Talib and created the sect of Khawarij.

I'll try to find the whole story, but we should be rest assured that neither Ali nor Ayesta nor Talha nor Zubayr nor Mu'awiyah did any evil.

This incedent is even mentioned in the hadeeth

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi

The link you provided sister Aamina is belong to Shi'as/Ishmaili

The Khawarij problem will continue until the advent of the Dajjal. When there is schism between Muslims in the past or today then be sure that the Khawarij are those dividers. They are like Shaytaan wherever they are, they cause divisions between people. They are responsible for the problems in the time of Abu Bakr. They are responsible for the assassination of Uthmaan. They are responsible for the conflicts between the Muslims after the assassination of Uthmaan. They are responsible for the conflict between Ali and Mu'awiyah. They are responsible for the murder of Ali abi Talib, Husayn ibn Muhammad, and the attempted assassination of Mu'awiyah. They are responsible for many disunities that the Ummah faces today. Even the schism of Sunni and Shia is a result of the fitna of the Khawarij. After the death of the Dajjal, there is not fitna of Khawarij anymore. From the time of the assassination of Uthmaan ibn Affaan until the Dajjal comes out there is fitnah of the Khawarij.

I found a very nice summary of the story of the Battle of Jamal (The Battle of the Camel). Please, read it carefully. Don't rush through it.

Muslims who follow the correct creed prefer not to talk about what happened between the Companions of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam). They do not criticize any of them because they believe that all of them were seeking the truth. So those who were right got two rewards, while those who were wrong got only one reward.

However, since the history books are full of wrong and false information that degrade these honored Companions and describe what happened between them as a personal and worldly conflict, it is necessary to give an accurate account with sound information about what pushed the noble Companions to fight internally.

After the murder of Uthman (Radiya Allahu Anhu), the Muslims pledged allegiance to Ali (RA) as the new Caliph. Ali refused this assignment because he did not want to be the successor of Uthman, but he was pressured and urged by the Companions to accept and carryout this responsibility.

Ali (RA) was not able to carryout a retributive punishment against those who killed Uthman because he did not know exactly who they were. Also, the Khawarij (those who killed Uthman) were intermixed in Ali's army. They were numerous, fierce and ready to fight. Some narrations say that their number reached approximately 2000 men and some of them left Medina to other places shortly after Ali was appointed Caliph.

Many of the Companions were outside Medina at that time, among them were also the wives of the Prophet (SAWS) as everybody was busy in Hajj. Uthman was killed on the 18th of Dhul-Hijjah (the month of Hajj) in the year 35 after the Hijrah.

After Ali (RA) had spent four months as Caliph, without inflicting retribution on the killers of Uthman, Talha and al-Zubair went to Makkah and met with Ayisha (Radiya Allahu Anha). They decided to go to Basra to meet with the soldiers. Their ultimate goal was to pave the way for arresting those who killed Uthman and punish them according to Shariah.

Ali considered their going to Basra and their occupation of it as a form of disloyalty. So he feared for the unity of the nation and decided to go to them.

He then sent a messenger to al-Zubair and Talha to call them to the unity of the Muslims and the integrity of their community. Ali's messenger started with Ayisha and said: "O! Mother why did you come to this country?" She said: "O! Son it is only for the purpose of reconciling the people." Then he returned to Ali and informed him. Ali became impressed by this, so the people moved very close to reconciliation, regardless of their likes or dislikes about it. Then Ayisha sent a messenger to Ali to inform him that she came only for reconciliation, so both parties became very happy.

Ali stood up and spoke about the pre-Islamic era and the hardships and mischief that the people encountered. He mentioned Islam and the comfort and happiness in which Muslims live, thanks to their unity and integrity. Then he reminded them that Allah united them under the leadership of the Prophet (SAWS), then that of Abu Bakr, then that of Umar, then that of Uthman and then something strange happened to the Ummah: People became inclined toward some worldly matters and were vexed by the comfort Allah bestowed on others. So, they worked to make things go backwards - but Allah will do what He wishes. Then he (Ali) added: "I am leaving tomorrow. So you should leave with me except those of you who had anything to do with the murder of Uthman."

When Ali said this, a group of the leaders of Khawarij decided to have a meeting. Al-Ashtar al-Nakhai'i, Shuraih Ibn Awf and Abdullah Ibn Saba known as Ibn al-Sawda, all leaders of Khawarij, met together and gathered 2500 men, none of whom was a Companion of the Prophet (SAWS). Then they said: "What an opinion (referring to those who want to punish the murderers of Uthman), we know, by Allah, that Ali knows the Qur'an better than those who want to punish the murderers of Uthman and he is more entitled to do so. And you heard what he said - he will surely gather people against you tomorrow, and all the people want you specifically. So you will not be able to do anything when they outnumber you."

Al-Ashtar said: "We already knew al-Zubair and Talha's opinion about us and today Ali expressed his. So if he has reconciled with them, it is only to shed our blood."

Then Ibn Sawda said: "O! People, your caravan is inside the people. So when the two groups meet, cause them to fight against each other and do not let them join forces."

Ibn Katheer also mentioned that Ali, after reaching Basra, spent three days sending and receiving messages from Talha and al-Zubair. Some people suggested to Talha to take the opportunity to kill the murderers of Uthman, but he said: "Ali suggested to temporize this matter and we sent him our agreement."

Ibn Katheer added: "Some people spent the night making good plans, while the killers of Uthman spent the night planning mischief. They spent the night in consultation with each other, then they agreed to cause the war at daybreak. So, they woke up before dawn - they were about 2000. Each group of them attacked the closest group of people to them. As a result, the two parties began fighting in order to protect their companions."

Resultantly, the people woke up and took their weapons. They said: "The people of Kufa invaded us last night. They deceived us and attacked us at night. They thought that this was a group from Ali's army." Then Ali was told about what happened, and he said: 'What happened to the people?' They said: "The people of Basra attacked us last night."

Therefore, each group prepared itself for battle and the fighting ensued. Yet neither army was aware of the deception of the Khawarij. There were about 20,000 men fighting behind Ali and approximately 30,000 with Ayisha. The Saba'iyya - the companions of Ibn Sawda - did not stop killing, although the caller of Ali kept repeating: "Oh People, stop this! Stop this! But nobody listened."

It should be noted that the Companions of the Prophet (SAWS) were known for their honesty, their devotion and their great love of Allah The Almighty, despite the fighting that took place between them.

Here are some examples:

1) Narrated Ibn Abi Shaibah from al-Hasan Ibn Ali that he said: "I saw him (Ali) when the fighting became fierce move around me and say: 'Oh Hasan! If only I had died 20 years before this'."

2) Al-Zubair left the fighting and went to a valley. Umar Ibn Jurmuz followed him and killed him while he was sleeping. When the news came to Ali he said: "Say to the one who killed Ibn Safiyya (al-Zubair) you will be a dweller of Hell-fire." Then Ibn Jurmuz came carrying al-Zubair's sword, Ali said: "This sword has protected the face of the Prophet (SAWS) many times…"

3) As for Talha, he was killed by an arrow wound on the inside his ankle. Ali stood in front of his corpse and said: "May Allah bless you Abu Muhammad. It is saddens me to see you laying dead under the stars of the sky." Then he said: "I complain to Allah. I wish I had died twenty years ago." It is also reported that Ali said: "I hope that Talha, al-Zubair and I will be among those whom Allah described as: "And We shall remove from their breasts any sense of injury (that they may have), (So they will be like) brothers facing each other on thrones. " [15: 47]. "

4) Someone informed Ali that two men were speaking badly about Ayisha, so he ordered to give each of them 100 lashes.

5) Ayisha was asked about the Muslims who died during this battle from the side of Ali; she asked Allah's forgiveness for all those who were mentioned to her.

6) When Ayisha decided to leave Basra, Ali sent her everything she needed for the trip. He chose for her 40 of the well-known women of Basra and he sent her brother Muhammad - who was in his army - with her. Ali also saw her off and left his children with her for the entire day.

7) Ayisha bid farewell to the people saying: "My children, we should not have any grief towards one another. By Allah, there was nothing between me and Ali in the past except that which is usually between a woman and her son in-law. He is one of the people of good." Ali then said: "It is true that there was nothing between me and her, except what she mentioned and she is the wife of your Prophet (SAWS) in this life and the Hereafter."

8) Ali told someone to call out to the people saying: "Do not kill anyone who is fleeing and do not harm any wounded person. Anyone who has closed his door is safe, and anyone who gives up his weapon is safe." Then Ali ordered his people to gather all of the belongings of the followers of Ayisha so that the owners could claim their things.

All this is sound evidence of the nobility, honesty and frankness of the Companions of the Prophet (SAWS). It is also clear evidence that they were not driven by individual desires. May Allah get pleased with them all.

Tuesday : 24/02/2004

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamweb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ver2/archive/article.php?lang=E&id=54676"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamweb(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ver2/archive/artic...=E&id=54676[/url]

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi

I think it's pretty well established that Aisha hated Ali. During the incident between Aisha and Safwan, Ali thought that Muhammad should divorce Aisha because of the scandal, regardless of her guilt or innocence. Aisha was not happy about this. When Muhammad ran to her to tell her about the revelation that proved her innocence, she said "To God's praise and your blame!" However, after this incident, neither Aisha and Abu Bakr forgave Ali.

Aisha was not a mediator, as people have said. In fact, after the death of Uthman, she rallied support in Mecca against Ali. If Aisha really thought that Ali were responsible for the death of Uthman, she probably wouldn't have cared. However, to Aisha, Uthmans murder was a good opportunity to replace Ali, probably with Talha or Zubayr.

Aisha, with the help of these two, led a massive contingent of Meccans against Ali's forces that were in Medina.

Edited by Pete

There had been also arguments between Abu Bakr and Umar ibn Khattab, but can we say that they hated each other? Never, is that true. They are no angels but human beings. Remember, Abu Bakr appointed Umar ibn Khattab as the next Khaleefa.

Human beings can argue with each other even if they are companions of the Prophet salla Allahu alayhi wa Sallam. There were also some disputes between Ansar and Muhajireen when the Prophet had to intercede. Aisha was a child in the time of the prophet, therefore we should not argue about Aisha and Ali. The enemies of Aisha and Ali abi Talib and the sahaba just want to distort the relationship between Aisha and Ali abi Talib. There was no enmity.

7) Ayisha bid farewell to the people saying: "My children, we should not have any grief towards one another. By Allah, there was nothing between me and Ali in the past except that which is usually between a woman and her son in-law. He is one of the people of good." Ali then said: "It is true that there was nothing between me and her, except what she mentioned and she is the wife of your Prophet (SAWS) in this life and the Hereafter."

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi

It would be helpful to know if that was said before or after the incident with Safwan.

I think it's pretty well established that Aisha hated Ali. During the incident between Aisha and Safwan, Ali thought that Muhammad, Salla Allahu alayhi wa Sallam, should divorce Aisha because of the scandal, regardless of her guilt or innocence. Aisha was not happy about this. When Muhammad ran to her to tell her about the revelation that proved her innocence, she said "To God's praise and your blame!" However, after this incident, neither Aisha and Abu Bakr forgave Ali.

Assalamu Alaykum

You can find the answer in your own post. The incedent with Aisha ra and Safwan ra was in the time of Muhammad salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam.

The battle of the camel was after the assassination/khilaafa of Uthmaan ibn Affaan ra.

The Prophet was already resting peacefully in his grave.

:D bro muhsinmuttaqi to clear the confusion

may Allah reward you.

I think it's pretty well established that Aisha hated Ali. During the incident between Aisha and Safwan, Ali thought that Muhammad should divorce Aisha because of the scandal, regardless of her guilt or innocence. Aisha was not happy about this. When Muhammad ran to her to tell her about the revelation that proved her innocence, she said "To God's praise and your blame!" However, after this incident, neither Aisha and Abu Bakr forgave Ali.
Assalam Alaikum

Bro. Pete please, provide sources for your post here.

Jazaak Allah Khair

Guest amani

Ayesha Radhiullahuanha did not fight in the battle rather she tried to stop the battle.

a quick summary of the battle:

Ayesha Radhiullahuanha was in an army opposing Ali Radhiullahuanhu. in her army was also the companions Zubair and Talhah radhiallahu anhum. before the battle started they made peace and were not going to fight

however some hipocrites in Ali Radhiullahu anhus army attacked the opposite side in the night. when Ayesha, Talhah and Zubair radhiallahu anhum heard of this they thought Ali Radhiullahu Anhu had broken the peace they had made. when Ali Radhiullahu anhu heard this he thought they had broken the peace.

anyhow both sides were fighting and Ayesha Radhiallahu anha in a bid to make peace came out on her camel with the Quran in her hand telling people to unite. when she came out she was sorrounded by people and others were killing the people around her. Ali Radhiallahu anhu saw this and was obviously concerned for her so he told his men to shoot at the camel and when the camel falls people will stop attacking around her. after the camel fell people did stop attacking around her and Ali Radhiullahu anhu gave her a safe place to stay etc. it was even stated she regretted going to this war.

those who spread slander of Ayesha Radhiallahu anha should beware and fear Allah. she is one of the mother of believers and free from the slander spread about her.

may Allah forgive us.

Assalam Alaikum

Bro. Pete please, provide sources for your post here.

Jazaak Allah Khair

Aslan, Reza. No God But God. New York: Random House Trade Paperbacks, 2006. 120, 130.

Peace

hmm bro Pete...are you sure this is a reliable source?

What do mainstream scholars and historians say about this misunderstanding between Aisha(May Allah(SWT) be Pleased with her) and Ali Radhiullahuanhu ?

Peace

Aslan, Reza. No God But God. New York: Random House Trade Paperbacks, 2006. 120, 130.
Assalam Alaikum

Jazaak Allah Khair for the source. And I knew tht it'll be some Shiite view only, for Aisha (RA). According to Islamic Forum rules, please don't discuss anything from the Islamic Sects point of view.

Aslan, Reza is a Shiite & here are many things which proves this:

That's because according to the Shiah, the Mahdi's principal task upon returning to earth will be to avenge the injustice inflicted by the Sunni authorities upon Husayn and his followers at Karbala. - This is a part of an article by him!

Source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.slate(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/id/2105120"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.slate(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/id/2105120[/url]

Shiism is founded on the ideal of the righteous martyr who, following in the footsteps of Husayn, sacrifices himself freely in the struggle for justice against tyranny. - This is also a part of an article by him!

Source: (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_slate(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/id/2095326"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_slate(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/id/2095326[/url]

Jazaak Allah Khair

I believe the rule is against discussing the sects in general; I never even said the word shia, you brought it up. If Reza Aslan is a shia, then so be it. That doesn't mean I'm discussing shiaism. I myself am not a shia, but I still have a lot of respect for Reza Aslan from the interviews I've seen and the books I've read of his.

Do you know what an ad hominem is? Basically, it involves replying to an argument or assertion by attacking the person presenting the argument or assertion rather than the argument itself. It is a logical fallacy. Sure, maybe Reza Aslan is a shia, but does that make what he says incorrect? If he was a Sunni and said the same thing, would that give the exact same argument more merit? Of course not. Therefore, the argument still stands.

If he was a Sunni and said the same thing, would that give the exact same argument more merit? Of course not. Therefore, the argument still stands.
Assalam Alaikum

Brother, Please don't be offended :D

First of all, Yes it does matter a lot if someone is attacking one of the Mothers of Believers. I do apologize if I've taken the Issue out of context here. But it doesn't matters, even if the person is Sunni.

Anyways, I'll advice you to not to say anything against about Aisha (RA) because remember each and every deed is been written down by Noble Angels. And here sister Amani, has said very true:

those who spread slander of Ayesha Radhiallahu anha should beware and fear Allah. she is one of the mother of believers and free from the slander spread about her.
So please be careful..

May Allah (SWT) forgive everyone of us.. ameen

May Allah (SWT) give us taufeeq to understand the Quran & Sunnah.. ameen

Once again, don't be offended..

Jazaak Allah Khair

Let us close this thread with the following:

Ayisha bid farewell to the people saying: "My children, we should not have any grief towards one another. By Allah, there was nothing between me and Ali in the past except that which is usually between a woman and her son in-law. He is one of the people of good." Ali then said: "It is true that there was nothing between me and her, except what she mentioned and she is the wife of your Prophet (SAWS) in this life and the Hereafter."

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi