Islamic Forum
Immaad

What is a Muslim?

A.....

Muslim is one who is willing to give up pleasure for long-term gains (the Hereafter).

Muslim is one who has the ability to settle differences without resentment or anger.

Muslim is one who perseveres despite setbacks.

Muslim is one who knows life is too short to waste in idle activities.

Muslim is one who has no prejudice, intolerance, hatred or revenge.

Muslim is one who has the capacity to face disappointments and adversity without becoming bitter.

Muslim is one who accepts his mistakes and who does not complain that the rose bush has thorns but rejoices that it bears roses.

Muslim is one whose needs conform to the Qur'anic commands and those of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).

Muslim is one who makes Jihad (struggle) to change things, which he can and who lives in peace with things that he cannot change.

Muslim is one who gently and constantly questions himself/herself "AM I A MUSLIM?"

Ibrahim B. Syed, Intellectual Achievements of Muslims, published by Islamic Circle, Mauritius, 2002

PropellerAds

:D

:P for the post :D . It's important to keep re-affirming our beliefs, lest we become complacent and neglectful :D

:P

AS

Hallo, Immaad,

Your beautiful description of a Muslim reminded me of the description of Islam I read in book by a yogi, Swami Sivananda, (Bliss Divine) and his 6 page description of Islam, he said Islam is a noble religion tarnished by the bad behaviour of some followers. He wrote that in the early twentieth century.

This description of a Muslim, though, could be applied to a Christian and perhaps to followers of every major religion. Look at one of your sentences:

"Muslim is one who makes Jihad (struggle) to change things, which he can and who lives in peace with things that he cannot change"

And now see what Saint Francisco of Assisi said, and I do not think he read the Quran.

"Lord, help me to have serenity to accept things I cannot change, courage to change those I can change and wisdom to understand the difference"

Your description, in my opinion, fits only an ideal Muslim, which coincides with a good follower of any religion. The morality of all major religions is more or less the same and may be summarised in "do unto others as you want others do unto you" or "love your neighbour like yourself". If we concentrated in what is common in every religion (ethics), and not what is different (rituals) we might progress better.

But if we consider that only good Muslims are Muslims, and only good Christians are Christians, etc. and depending on how high we set the standard, we may end up considering that only Mohammed was a true Muslim, only Christ was a true Christian etc.

Still, I liked your description. Congratulations. :D

which he can and who lives in peace with things that he cannot change.

:D

i agree with the above excellent points, but however i would like to point out most muslims do not go according to the above statement, just one of the mistakes of the ummah.

"Muslim is one who has no prejudice, intolerance, hatred or revenge."

?

yes i would agree on some points, a muslim is not perfect however...and from time to time will jump into the negative...and express his...hatred....and intolerance.

What separates us from all other religions though is more than morality.

Indeed we should have good character and morals and in doing so we are not infringing on the rights of our fellow Muslims or on the rights that the non-Muslims have on us.

However, all this is of lesser importance when weighed up against us first trying to fulfil the rights our Creator has over us, and this (our belief in Allah and that which emulates from this belief) is what separates us from other ALL other religions.

So yes we should all have good morality and fulfil the rights of our neighbour, but what is more important is fulfilling the rights our Creator has over us, so that means believing in Him how He or His Messenger have told us to, obeying Him in all that He has obligated on us and fleeing from that which would mean disobedience and earn His anger.

The great scholar of Islam and author of the famous Qur’aanic Tafseer (explanation of the Qur’aan) ibn Katheer (d774H) said:

And worship is obedience to Allah by acting upon what He (Subahana Wa Ta’ala) commands, and abandoning what He (Subahana Wa Ta’ala) forbids; and this is the reality and essence of Islam. And the meaning of Islam is istislaam (submission and surrender) to Allah – the Most High – along with the utmost compliance, humility, and submissiveness to Him.

(Tafseerul-Qur‘aanil-’Adtheem 7/402).

Something for us to reflect on inshallaah!

Edited by abu_suhaylah