Islamic Forum

Question:

What is the ruling o­n congratulating the disbelievers o­n their Christmas celebration? And how do we respond to them if they greet us with it. And is it permissible to go to the places where they are having celebrations for that purpose. And does the person (Muslim) take a sin if he does the aforementioned without any intent? Rather he o­nly does it being courteous, or due to shyness or due to being put in an awkward situation, or due to some other reasons. And is it permissible to resemble them in this?

Answer:

Congratulating the disbelievers o­n their Christmas celebration or other than that from their religious holidays is not permissible according to the consensus. As was related by Imaam Ibn Al Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy upon him, in his book “The ruling o­n the people beneath the Muslim protectionâ€, when he said: "As for congratulating the disbelievers for their religious ceremonies that have kufr (disbelief) attached to it, then it is not permissible according to the consensus. For example congratulating them for their holidays or their fasts, so the person says, “May you have a bless holidayâ€, or he wishes them well for their holiday or something like that. So this, if the o­ne who says it escapes from falling into kufr (disbelief), is (still) from the impermissible things. And it is o­n the same level as congratulating them for prostrating to the cross. Rather it is a greater sin with Allaah. And it is a more severe abomination than to congratulate them for drinking alcohol and killing someone, committing illegal sexual intercourse and things of this nature. And many of the people who don’t have any deen(or respect for the deen) fall into this. And he doesn’t know the ugliness (evil) of what he has done. So whoever congratulates a person for committing sins, or innovations, or disbelief, then he has exposed himself to the hate, wrath (anger) of Allaah."

(Shaykh Uthaymeen continues)

So congratulating the disbelievers o­n the religious holidays is not permissible, as shown by the proof brought by Ibn Al Qayim. Because in it, (congratulating the kufar o­n their religious holidays) is an approval for what they are upon from their kufr ceremonies, and showing them that you are please with it. Even if the person is not pleased with the actual kufr itself, it is also not permissible for the Muslim to be pleased with kufr ceremonies, or to congratulate them for it. Because Allaah the Exalted is not pleased with that, as Allaah the Exalted says,

“If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you.†(AzZumar 39:7)

And the Exalted says,

“This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.†(Al-Ma'idah 5:3)

So congratulating them with this is haram whether this person is your co worker or not. So if they greet us with their holiday greeting we don’t respond to them with it, because it’s not our holiday, and they are holidays that Allaah is not pleased with, and because it is something that is either innovated in their religion, or it was legislated but has since been abrogated by the deen of Islam that which Muhammad peace and blessing be upon him, was sent with to all of the creation. And He (Allaah) says about it (Islam)

“And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be o­ne of the losers†(Aali Imran 3:85)

And for the Muslim to accept their invitations to these occasions (holiday celebrations) is haram (Impermissible). Because this is worst than congratulating them with it, because this would entail participating with them in this. Also it is haram for the Muslim to imitate the disbelievers by establishing celebrations for these occasions, or to exchanges gifts, or to

distribute sweets, or trays of food, or to stop work or anything like this. Due to the statement of the Prophet, peace and blessing be upon him, “Whoever imitates a people is from themâ€. Shaykh ul-Islaam Ibn Tayeeyah, may Allaah have mercy upon him, said in his book, "Follow the straight path and oppose the path to the fire" that “Imitating them in some of their celebration causes happiness in their hearts for what they are upon from falsehood. And it

is possible that this might encourage them to take advantage of this opportunity to humiliate the weak mindedâ€.

And whoever does anything from this is a sinner. And it is the same whether he did it being courteous, or seeking friendship, or due to shyness, or any other reason, because this is from being deceitful in the deen of Allaah. And this is from the reasons that reinforce the psyche of the disbelievers and to make them proud of their deen.

PropellerAds

Peace Russ,

LOL...

I'm wondering if the ruling would be same for Christians toward Muslim holidays...?

Just say "Merry Christmas" like any normal person would.

I don't have a religion but would still celebrate with people if it was their religious holiday. Not if I had to give up food though. :D

No need to say happy christmas or anything if we disgust you so much, just stay out of the way while we're enjoying ourselves, don't want you bringing the mood down. Hopefully noone will invite you to parties. If they do then they are fools for believing integration works.

Peace Leics,

Why the anger? No one has asked that you love or respect the practices of Muslims. But your response shows you are very irked and it's really not a big deal or is it?

Disgust is a very strong word and I certainly am not disgusted by nor do I hate non-Muslims. Islam prohibits celebrating another religion's holiday. It makes sense not to celebrate or take part in it. Why are you so upset?

Congratulating the disbelievers o­n their Christmas celebration or other than that from their religious holidays is not permissible according to the consensus.

This is nothing but superstitous, superior, elitist bile. This is the kind of seperatist nonsensical twaddle that Bin Laden would be proud of, get a life mate. The Imams you qoute are totally lost in Islam and one step away from being fascists, please please moderate youreself because the world is better off without the demonisation of human beings just for the crime of not being Muslim. Grow up

Edited by yusufar

If they do then they are fools for believing integration works.

As for sepratist elitist bile obviously Christians are playing the same game, of course integration works. I'm an atheist Buddhist with Muslim friends and we all say happy Christmas. I would die for my friends and they are from many different cultures African, Bajan, Jamaican, Indian, Pakistani, Turkish, Irish, Scotish, English, American etc etc

Some are religious some arent, we may dissagree about the nature of the universe but that doesnt mean we are not still brothers and sisters.

I'm from London and it is the most multicultural city in the world, integration works my friend as long as neo nazis and people like Abu Hamza dont ruin it

:D

I don't consider Christians to be unbelievers, and quite frankly, neither does the Qur'an.

[2.62] Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.

[2.113] And the Jews say: The Christians do not follow anything (good) and the Christians say: The Jews do not follow anything (good) while they recite the (same) Book. Even thus say those who have no knowledge, like to what they say; so Allah shall judge between them on the day of resurrection in what they differ.

[5.69] Surely those who believe and those who are Jews and the Sabians and the Christians whoever believes in Allah and the last day and does good-- they shall have no fear nor shall they grieve.

[29.46] And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our God and your God is One, and unto Him we surrender. S. 29:46

Christmas is a Merry time indeed, and I hope that all who celebrate it enjoy themselves. For this reason, if someone wishes me "Merry Christmas", I will wish them one back.

However, Luke, you've gone too far. Something Bin Laden would be proud of? The people who both wrote and posted this are not Bin Laden, do not support Bin Laden, do not respect Bin Laden, and should not be compared to Bin Laden. Everyone here is entitled to their opinions, including you. However, just because you disagree with their opinions does not make it appropriate for you to compare them to a mass murderer of 3,000 people. You're a Buddhist, so please consider right speech.

Dear brothers and sisters,

Peace brothers and sisters.

Im a shi'te and i have asked my parents and they said that it was totally ok to say 'Merry Christmas' to anyone really and not only Christians. I dont know if it's different for sunnis but all i know is this; Christmas celebrates the birthday of Jesus, and is not Jesus one of our prophets? Why would it be wrong to celebrate a prophet's birthday? Im not saying to go out and set up Christmas lights around the house and decorate Christmas trees, but what's wrong with attending a Christmas Party with your co-workers? Im sorry but i dont see anything wrong with it. :D

-your sis asmaa-

Peace and THANK YOU Pete!

Well said.

Christians and Jews are people "of the book" and ARE believers. You are absolutely right!

Peace Leics,

Why the anger? No one has asked that you love or respect the practices of Muslims. But your response shows you are very irked and it's really not a big deal or is it?

Disgust is a very strong word and I certainly am not disgusted by nor do I hate non-Muslims. Islam prohibits celebrating another religion's holiday. It makes sense not to celebrate or take part in it. Why are you so upset?

If I can add my ten cents worth: I think Muslim hardliners, clerics or self styled clerics are rather similar to old testement prophets and po-faced Christian extremists; increasingly seen to be punitive ,threatening and anti life in this modern age. :D

Muslims should not celebrate the holidays of the Kuffar, there are only two holidays that were celebrated by the Prophet (pbuh), his Companions and the Rightly Guided and those are Eid ul-Adha and Eid ul-Fitr. Birthdays and other holidays are Innovations which occured after them and should not be celebrated at all.

Birthdays would include the Birth of the Prophet Isa (pbuh) and holidays of the Kuffar would certainly include Christmas as it is celebrated by the Christians, who by their very nature are Polytheistic (Trinitarian) and base the date of their holiday on the Feast of Saturn and "Birth of the Sun". Everything about this holiday is filled with Polytheistic ideas and it certainly should be avoided and one should not compromise Tawhid by celebrating it in any manner.

This subject is rather interesting.

It is sad that a Muslim is not allowed to wish a non-Muslin happyiness on a holiday or even attend a Christmas party.

Are they afraid that you are going to convert to Christianity by eating some cookies and drinking some coffee and talking to people?

A Christmas party is NOT a religious event. It's just an excuse to have a party.

You get to hobnob with the bosses and the other workers that you may only know from memo's or telephone conversations.

When people ask where you are and are told that you're not there because you are Muslin, they'll certainly not have a higher regard for Islam. Mabye for you, for following your belief, but not for Islam. In fact the opposite is more probable.

Muslim's wonder why other people are suspicious of them and their religion.

Separating yourselves from everyone else could be one of the reasons.

Also it is haram for the Muslim to imitate the disbelievers by establishing celebrations for these occasions, or to exchanges gifts, or to distribute sweets, or trays of food, or to stop work or anything like this.

Dec 10, 1:22 PM EST

Hamas Vows $50K for Bethlehem Christmas

By DIAA HADID

Associated Press Writer

BETHLEHEM, West Bank (AP) -- Islamic militants may be in charge, but that doesn't mean there won't be Christmas this year.

The cash-strapped Hamas government is promising $50,000 to dress up Jesus' traditional birthplace for the holiday, more than twice the amount spent in previous years.

Yet even the extra cash - if Hamas pays up - may not be enough to bring Christmas cheer to Bethlehem, hit hard by the last six years of israeli-Palestinian fighting. The biblical town is now walled in by israel's West Bank separation barrier, poverty is deepening and Christians are leaving Bethlehem in droves.

Palestinian Tourism Minister Joudeh Morkos has modest expectations.

Last year, only about 2,500 foreign visitors came on Christmas, but he's counting on the usual busloads of Christians from Arab towns in israel to boost turnout. Before the outbreak of the Palestinian uprising in 2000, Bethlehem drew more than 90,000 pilgrims a month.

With just two weeks until Christmas, Bethlehem is only sparsely decorated.

Bethlehem Mayor Victor Batarseh, a churchgoing Catholic from a leftist party, said Saturday he will not start decorating until he has the money in hand.

A few neon stars are nailed to storefronts on the main streets. The only decoration on the Lutheran Christmas Church in a busy market area is spray-painted graffiti below the pointed steeple that reads "Islamic Jihad" - a Muslim militant group.

Just do a Goole search for "Hamas funding Christmas Bethlehem" and the whole story is there.

Wishing someone a good time on a day they celebrate is not the same thing as celebrating that day.

Just because you wish someone a merry Christmas does not mean that you are celebrating Christmas. The logic of these scholars is mind-blowing.

I'm wondering if the ruling would be same for Christians toward Muslim holidays...?

I have never heard any Christians saying that other Christians may not wish people a happy day if they are from a different religion. Other than Muslims I have never heard of any ruling like this.

What many Christians do not seem to understand is that they only compose about 33% of the world's population. The majority of the world is not Christian.

I do not say "Merry Xmas" to anyone because I am telling that person to enjoy celebrating the birth (didn't it occur in the spring, anyway?) of a worshipped Jewish man, which is quite strange to me.

However, when someone ignorantly, but well-meaning says "Merry Xmas" to me, I realize that the person is simply, in his own way, trying to give me a pleasant greeting.

Therefore, the answer is simple: just smile and say thank you! That way, you aren't offending the person or having to delve into a religious discussion with a stranger. Yet, you don't have to assimilate into Christianity by repeating the phrase.

Islam truly is a religion of intolorance, seperation and bigotry. Please get down off youre high horse. It's painfull to read such closeminded teachings, the Imans you quote are planting the seeds of future intolorance and the world could do without it.

Please try to comply with Rule 39.

Edited by yusufar