Islamic Forum
hochongs

Aphorism

PropellerAds

Hi, could you elaborate Please? I am sure you have something behind what you posted. Thanks.

Wise words hochongs.

For the people who didnt get it :

aph·o·rism

a terse saying embodying a general truth, or astute observation

People wish to be settled. It is only as far as they are unsettled that there is any hope for them.

What i like even more about this post is that its short and to the point. People want to be ignorant and comfortable, but its only until they throw themselves in the pit, they face their shadows, their fears, their desires....."that there is any hope for them."

:sl:

Beautiful words that resonate so true. Who wrote them?

Also, you should check out Ibn Attallah Al Iskandari's Book of Wisdoms. The aphorisms contained therein are mind-blowing.

What i like even more about this post is that its short and to the point. People want to be ignorant and comfortable, but its only until they throw themselves in the pit, they face their shadows, their fears, their desires....."that there is any hope for them."

I'm sorry but I really didnt get the point. The post says "settled"; I dont understand that as "ignorant and comfertable". I understand that as "settled".

I may be a little direct in the way I speak and understand spoken words, but if you want it to be short and to the point, it has to be direct; don't you think?

Lateral, your explanation only made me more confused: what pit are you talking about? what makes you think people want to be ignorant? (I agree, they do want to be comfertable). Why would you understand being settled as being ignorant and comfertable? why is ignorance linked with comfort to start with?

And for the orignial post I'd ask: how is being unsettled going to give hope? I find the contrary, if you are unsettled you are not able to conentrate on what really matters becouse your focus would be on being settled. So I would think that being unsettled is not really a good thing. Also, I believe there is hope for all, whether settled or unsettled.

Slaams

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Aphorism"]What is Aphorism[/url]

People wish to be settled. It is only as far as they are unsettled that there is any hope for them

Good stuff, u got the whole yin-yang deep symbollism/wisdom thingy going there :sl:

But it would it hurt to spare a few more words to alleviate ambiguity :sl:

Do it again and here I may have a symbol of my own to counter it

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnearlygood(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetnearlygood(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/smilies/banned2.gif[/img][/url]

Just kidding :j: and No pressure ofcource

(Welcome to Gawaher)

Peace

Edited by llogical

I'm sorry but I really didnt get the point. The post says "settled"; I dont understand that as "ignorant and comfertable". I understand that as "settled"

They say ignorance is bliss.

I may be a little direct in the way I speak and understand spoken words, but if you want it to be short and to the point, it has to be direct; don't you think?

Less is more

Lateral, your explanation only made me more confused: what pit are you talking about? what makes you think people want to be ignorant? (I agree, they do want to be comfertable).

Answered your own question

Why would you understand being settled as being ignorant and comfertable? why is ignorance linked with comfort to start with?

Because being ignorant relieves one of the responsibility and consequences of their actions. Not knowing what you're doing wrong makes whatever you're doing justified

In short, my previous post expands and interprets unto what the aphorism means to me personally. As with all aphorisms. They apply the "less is more" device, leaving it to readers to decide and to expand. I imagine an aphorism that applies to your own specific situations, by power of your own interpretation and application, is more useful to you, rather than a general solution or bit of wisdom that applies to all. This is why they must be interpreted upon to get the meaning. It doesnt just always mean what it says, since emotions and wisdom cannot be laid down so simply.