Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lateral

Muslims And Art

Asalaam alaikum,

I've come to ask your opinions on the general situation of muslims in the art sector. When i was going around the various open days in the universities of london, i noticed a very similar pattern, majority of the muslims were in the science/buisness sector. Very very few were in the law section, let alone the english/art sections. Maybe this is only in london which is why i'd like to ask about other areas too. But this pattern in london alone is very startling. This pattern leads me to conclude, that in general the muslim community regards art/humanities as secondary and probably useless. So what i'd like to ask is, if you're in a university, have you seen the same pattern?

Also second question i'd like to ask is...... as a muslim, what does art mean to you? Are you only interested in Islamic art or do your tastes extend further? Is art just pretty pictures? Or does it go deeper? Pretentious or genuinely deep? Discuss please :sl:

PropellerAds
Maybe this is only in london which is why i'd like to ask about other areas too. But this pattern in london alone is very startling.

I can't say I know for sure. But I've been told that in the west if you want to succeed as a lawyer your chances are better if you were a Jew, don't know how true that is.

This pattern leads me to conclude, that in general the muslim community regards art/humanities as secondary and probably useless.

hmm, it's not a religion thing I guess, but some communities do think of it that way. A lot of them choose a course of study that would help them find a job - very wrong, but very true also.

Also second question i'd like to ask is...... as a muslim, what does art mean to you? Are you only interested in Islamic art or do your tastes extend further? Is art just pretty pictures? Or does it go deeper? Pretentious or genuinely deep? Discuss please

What does art mean to me (personally). It depends on what type of art are you talking about. Fine arts? well fine arts are fine but you must remember that you have some Islamic guidelines here, I would not advise anyone to study fine art (painting, music...etc.) just in case you have to do something that is against the sunna.

Literature (as a type of art) is my passion (I don't write, but I'm a greedy reader). I love poetry (Arabic, never liked English). I read generally all types of poetry, but I prefer traditional (also called vertical in Arabic) poetry.

Poetry is defiantly deep; but to be frank with you, I find most fine art “just pretty picturesâ€; very few really make me say “wow, that is somethingâ€. As an example, I never really understood why people like the Mona Lisa - it doesn’t seem great to me it seems so average. But then again, maybe that’s just me.

:)

Art to me is where you express yourself.

Poetry is an act,life is an act. :sl:

The actions you do everything are an art.

Maths is an act,languages are an act.

Art can go very deep,depending on what kind of thinker you are.

Art has free will,you can be unique,distinctive with it.

The Prophets life was a perfect piece of art we should all follow. :sl:

:j:

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

Art to me is where you express yourself.

Poetry is an act,life is an act. :j:

The actions you do everything are an art.

Maths is an act,languages are an act.

Art can go very deep,depending on what kind of thinker you are.

Art has free will,you can be unique,distinctive with it.

The Prophets life was a perfect piece of art we should all follow. :sl:

i definitely agree with you bro :sl:

but still i know that muslim art is so advanced in past and still it is advancing..we can give example with pictures to this..

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img247.imageshack.us/img247/5199/0420islamic20artms6.jpg[/img]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img247.imageshack.us/img247/3651/212072det1vs0.jpg[/img]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img403.imageshack.us/img403/5720/3830mislamicarthx8.jpg[/img]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img242.imageshack.us/img242/1457/ottomanempirearmyxv0.png[/img]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img403.imageshack.us/img403/6909/stoffdervishbrownco0.jpg[/img]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img124.imageshack.us/img124/7206/x1padjo0uco2h0bm8jsj2l2fx1.jpg[/img]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_img297.imageshack.us/img297/6689/x1padjo0uco2h0bm8jsj2l2kk4.jpg[/img]

:sl:

OMG,my mouths dropped to the floor by seeing the 3rd picture down,that is amazing,mashallah.

:j: for sharing,very beautiful pictures,alhumdulilah. :)

I love arts. writing and drawing has always been my passion. since i was young i would always draw... and in grade six i decided i would be an author.

The reason there are few people maybe because they are misunderstanding that Islam forbid art such as drawing of person etc.. well i would say Islam forbid drawing of person or anything only at that point where you going to worship it or maybe lead to worshiping and that could lead people forget about the Allah, which is forbidden in Islam worshiping idols..