Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MO783

Please Help And This Is No Joke

Assalmualykum,

This is no Joke sp please do not make fun aswell.

Please can all of you make dua for me, I am in my 20's and not married yet, Inshallah soon though. I have a bit of a Habit on sucking a DUMMY at night to sleep. I have been doing this for a while now, and only my best friend knows.

I have been through alot in my life and have been suffering from depression And this helps me relax and sleep and it makes me feel better. I do no my self its a silly habit so thats why I want to get rid of it.

Inshallah make dua I get rid of this Habit and all goes well for me.

All your duas and any advise will be highly appreciated.

Jazakallah

You are right but its not easy, like anything, smoking etc. Im just abit acred and abviously embarrased aswell. And Im scared thinking I hope im not ill ro something...

:sl:

You don't need to be embarrassed. It's not a big thing, I mean, it's not like your sinning or anything but obviously it's probably something which would be better if you didn't do. If you think you're going to really struggle then I guess you could take it one step at a time, try and go without the dummy tonight and see how it goes. I don't think you're ill, you've just developed a habit which you need to get rid of, it can take time. Try to sleep without the dummy tonight, and make duaa to Allah ...that should work :sl:

salam alaikum

Well you can put something on it that doesnt taste good, usually some mothers rub hot chilli on dummy and then they baby realise it doesnt taste good and it sucks, then they stop it..

So you can try that method see how it goes..

Rub it with hot chilli or probably something very ugly bad taste on it and try it..

Meanwhile ask Allah swt, because without His Wills nothing happens, so ask Him and beg Him and without any doubth Allah will help you. Inshallah..

salam alaikum

Well you can put something on it that doesnt taste good, usually some mothers rub hot chilli on dummy and then they baby realise it doesnt taste good and it sucks, then they stop it..

So you can try that method see how it goes..

Rub it with hot chilli or probably something very ugly bad taste on it and try it..

Meanwhile ask Allah swt, because without His Wills nothing happens, so ask Him and beg Him and without any doubth Allah will help you. Inshallah..

Salaam,

Listen Brother, Take that dummy and flush it down the toilet or throw it in a gutter...i'm not kidding You will have couple sleepless nights and InshAllah you will be fine :sl:

Is a dummy some sort of toy?

As with all habits, it can be broken. But the longer you've had it, the harder it is to end. You don't actually need to break this particular habit, unless you are afraid of what your future spouse will think of you or you simply do not wish to continue it.

First thing you need to do is get rid of the item. As long as it's somewhere in the house, you'll be tempted to use it. But once it's permanently gone, no amount of attachment will return it. Try reading ayat-ul-kursi, the du'a for bedtime, and then sleep on your right side. You might have difficulty at first but your dummy is replaceable.

I used to suck my thumb...then I grew up...I wish it still tasted as b4:(

Salam everyone,

I do not suck my dummy everyday, I just keep it with me in Bed, atleast I no its around. I suck my dummy about 3-4 nights a week. Im trying to reduce it and I have done. But I am not able to completely get rid of it. I do not know why.

Alhumdullilah I do pray every night and pray in bed aswell.

I am trying hard,

Jazakallah for all your replies and not laughing at me.

Salam

ASA

Brother im going crazy please tell me WHAT IS A DUMMY???? :sl: I have no idea what it is you said you keep it in you bed What is it , what is a dummy, I wanted to say something to you but i have no idea now what a dummy is

Assalamu Alaikum, for those who are curious Dummy is a PACIFIER/ SOOTHER, that parents give to infants to make them quite, sometimes the habit of sucking on the pacifier carries on until the child is 3 or 4 years old, Though the infants look cute with the pacifier in their mouth, as they grow older it does not look cute anymore.

Dummy = Pacifier/Soother

Salaams.

assalaam alaikum

May Allah show you the best way to come over this problem. many brothers have already suggested alot of good solutions.inshaAllah you would come out of it soon

OHHHHHHHHHHH thanks alot UmAhmad bay do i feel dumb!

Ok Brother mo783 donot worry about a thing man, some people shke their leg uncontrolably(like me) to sooth them, some suck their thumb,rub their ears ect.ect... When you get married your wife would accept you for who you are even if you suck that dummy till your death. Nothing wrong with you at all man some people need a pillow and a blanket just to go asleep.

I personaly always need a blanket even its hot i seem to cover myself before i go to sleep with a sheet or something. I dont know if that stemed from when i was a baby and how those who loved us wrapped us up in a blanket, i dont know where that comes from.

And sucking your dummy is just fine if your wife loves you she would have no problem with it she might see it as a little strange but will love you regardless and will have no problem with it. In fact i think that im going to try that when i come home from working late and cant go to sleep(i prefer reading the Quran because when i sleep i dream about what i read but thats another topic). Hey man when you feel ready to stop sucking it then stop until then its not killing anybody its not against the religion go ahead and enjoy it and i hope that it brings you confort

ASA

I personaly always need a blanket even its hot i seem to cover myself before i go to sleep with a sheet or something. I dont know if that stemed from when i was a baby and how those who loved us wrapped us up in a blanket, i dont know where that comes from.

Funny you mention that... I'm exactly the same! It doesn't feel right not being covered.

Anyway, like I said it's not a big thing ...BUT it's probably better for him to stop that habit. As for shaking your leg uncontrollably... I used to do that too when I used to listen to music... and tap alot also ...so that might be why you're doing that!

I don't think ALL women would find it acceptable for their husbands to suck on a dummy ...but I could be wrong. Might be bad for your teeth also.

Asalmu'alaykum..

There's nothing to be embarrassed about lol...i suggest u chew a gum when you retire for bed, keep your mouth busy obviously spit it out whe you feel your about to knock off, or you could simply not sleep and keep yourself busy with family or something that you enjoy doing, again when you are about to knock off run to bed and snor away inshAllah.

I don't recommend the chewing gum idea... seriously it can become a lot more dangerous than you think. Especially during those last few moments before you fall asleep, you're SO exhausted you may be too lazy to spit out the gum. And then it's possible to choke on it while asleep.

Anyway just my two cents. (And my attempt at saving the brother's life, lol.)

Salam,

Jazakallah for all your replies, everyone is absolutley right. I do want to stop using the dummy though. Just scared of letting it go...I do not know how to explain

Please advise

well brother why not take all the dummies you own and throw them in the trash when you leave out(meaning throw them out the very next time that you go into town) That way you wont go into your trash and be tempted to wash it off. Or you can cut the dummy in a way that it will be very uncomfotable for you to suck on. Is clear that you are in control and not the dummy, so try and go "cold turkey" and see how you make out. Im pretty sure a few days of sleepless nights without the dummy would soon catch up to you and you would fall asleep without even needing it.

Also ramadan is comminig up you can fast from the dummy at night :no: , But really though i dont see the big problem, some people use blind folds to help them sleep better or ear plugs, i think that that is weird but in a good way. Some people need music or Quran to put them to bed some a warm glass of milk, and some as in your case its a dummy. These are all habits I wouldnt call them bad habits, heres one of the prophets habits"

Aisha (r.a.) said that the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) used to sleep during the earlier part of the night and stood praying during the later part. She also said that when he got up at night he started his prayer with two rakaat.

When Allah’s Messenger (s.a.w.s.) went to bed he “Used to lie down on his right side and said: O Allah I surrender myself to you, and seek protection in you, longing for you and fearing you; there is no protection and no escape from you except with you, I believe in your book which you sent down and your Prophet (s.a.w.s.) whom you sent down and your Prophet (s.a.w.s.) whom you sent.†(Bukhari)

Then he used to read Surah Al Ikhlas and Al Muawathatein (Surah Al -Falaq and An-Naas) three times. (Dawud and Tirmithi)"

You see even our prophet had habits before he went to bed if you cant kick the habit then maybe you should start making or designing some adult dummies get some with Quran written on it or art, or different places ect.ect. make a busniess out of it im pretty sure that your not the only one who does this, make some money :sl:

Like isaid before brother your wife will at first find it strange but will accept you for who you are. Im going to tell you something that i find pretty funny you know my wife when we first was together she never used to pass gas around me or never even let me hear it and i the same, well you know how long that lasted :sl: The first time i heard her i laughed and her the same with me what im saying to you brother is this that your habit is not bad at all and you can break it whenever you wish your wife is not going to mind unless you start taking your future babies dummy at night(look out then :j: ) Your fine and perfectly normal bro

Edited by twoswordali

:sl: brother,

I just wanted to add something to your last post. The prophet sallallahu alaihi wassallam sleeping on his right side wasn't a habit as such ...there is wisdom behind it (like with everyone the prophet sallallahu alaihi wassallam does). You can find some information regarding this here (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/96675"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/96675[/url]

I'm not sure about encouraging people to design dummies with Qur'an on it either. He wants to stop this habit, he wants advice on how to do it ...let's not confuse him.

Brother look you really need to stop!!! your acting like some vigilante tyrant that holds all the keys to Islam what in the h... no.. world makes you think that muslims dont know that, that what the prophet did has wisdom behind it. And by the way it was a habit of the prophet, only a true idiot would say that it wasnt or it wasnt as such(no offence to you). Well if your not sure of what im trying to help the brother out with then why dont you GREAT SHEIK PIOUS BROTHER ABDULLAH tell him what to do instead of springboarding off of what i said making no points whatsoever ,why dont you offer the brother a solution!!!???? Im pretty sure hes all ears.. eyes waiting for the blessing to pour from your brain into your fingers and onto the keyboard and offer some help. Please stop acting like your the end all of things because your not :sl: ( and what is wrong with a dummy (hehe this name kills me), whats wrong with putting Quran on a Passifier whats sooo bad about encouraging him???? Btw lets just hear your advice my pen and pad is waiting

Assalamu Alaikum, Please do not try to steer the thread away from the real issue into name calling and passing Sarcastic remarks. There is no connection to the way RasoolAllah Sallallahu alaihi Wa Sallams used to sleep to the brother sleeping with a pacifier in the mouth.

POINT IS it is not normal behaviour to be using a Pacifer or Soother or Dummy at age 20. Since the brother realises and feels uncomfortable, he should just throw the pacifiers away and not become a source of entertainment for others.

Assalamu alaikum.

Salam,

Brothers n Siters please lets not argue. the ways mentioned by the other brother is the Sunnah way of sleeping, as is doing Wudhu and going to sleep. I do try but I guess my Iman is weak. I do not suck my Dummy everyday but as I have mentioned before I am scared of just totally getting rid of it. I do not know why ?