Islamic Forum
sudden

Us Forces Storm Iranian Consulate In Iraq.

salaam.

US Forces Storm

Iranian Consulate In Iraq

BBC News

1-11-7

US forces have stormed an Iranian consulate in the northern Iraqi town of Irbil and seized six members of staff.

The troops raided the building at about 0300 (0001GMT), taking away computers and papers, according to Kurdish media and senior local officials.

The US military would only confirm the detention of six people around Irbil.

The raid comes amid high Iran-US tension. The US accuses Iran of helping to fuel violence in Iraq and seeking nuclear arms. Iran denies both charges.

Tehran counters that US military involvement in the Middle East endangers the whole region.

A local TV station said Kurdish security forces had taken over the building after the Americans had left.

Irbil lies in Iraq's Kurdish-controlled north, about 350km (220 miles) from the capital Baghdad. Reports say the Iranian consulate there was set up last year under an agreement with the Kurdish regional government to facilitate cross-border visits.

Pressure

Iranian media said the country's embassy in Baghdad had sent a letter of protest about the raid to the Iraqi foreign ministry.

One Iranian news agency with a correspondent in Irbil says five US helicopters were used to land troops on the roof of the Iranian consulate.

It reports that a number of vehicles cordoned off the streets around the building, while US soldiers warned the occupants in three different languages that they should surrender or be killed.

In December, US troops detained a number of Iranians in Iraq, including two with diplomatic immunity who were later released.

Thursday's raid came as US President George W Bush unveiled his new strategy in Iraq, which included increasing troop numbers and a commitment to stop Iranian support for "our enemies in Iraq".

BBC Diplomatic Correspondent Jonathan Marcus says the raid could signal a ratcheting-up of pressure on the Iranians, in line with the rhetorical thrust of his speech.

Meanwhile in the Iraqi capital, the five off-duty policemen were killed in an ambush in the western al-Khadra neighbourhood, hospital officials said Security sources said another man was killed wounded in an attack on a money changer in downtown Baghdad.

In the restive Anbar province, the US military said that one of its troops was killed on Tuesday by a roadside bombing.

Other violence was reported in Mosul, where gunmen killed a professor driving home from work, and Samarra where a suicide truck bomber attacked the mayor's house, killing three people and wounding 33, including the mayor.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"http://######news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/6251167.stm"]######news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/midd...ast/6251167.stm[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"http://######newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bb"]######newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bb[/url]

c.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6251167.stm

PropellerAds

:sl: / Greetings to All

Newbies cannot post links until they've reached 50 posts...

Here is the link to this story...

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6251167.stm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6251167.stm[/url]

:sl: / Greetings

:sl:/Peace To All

Bush Invaded Iran Last Night

Did He Sign An Executive Order To Invade Iran & Syria?

Posted by Evan Derkacz

At 4:16 PM on January 11, 2007.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_alternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_alternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs[/url]

"Last night, Bush sent US forces to attack the inviolate territory of a foreign diplomatic mission, the Iranian mission in northern Iraq - legally, the land of a foreign nation - and took the Iranians hostage. It's hard to see under international law how this is legal, let alone how this isn't an act of war. And it's beyond ironic that we appear to have condoned the very action that we condemned Iran for - attacking diplomatic missions in violation of international law," writes John Aravosis.

"But what's most troubling about this is the transparency of what Bush is up to. He's trying to provoke a war with Iran, either by forcing Iran to strike back, or by discovering secret Iranian diplomatic documents that would prove their complicity in helping the insurgents in Iraq. We just invaded Iran last night, folks. Foreign embassies and diplomatic outposts are legally the foreign soil of the country represented. We invaded Iran. This is an act of war."

"U.S. forces in Iraq raided Iran's consulate in the northern city of Arbil and detained five staff members," according to state-run Iranian news, via Bloomberg.

We don't know whether it was Iranians or Iranian diplomats who were captured or why the raid even took place. But the timing is curious, given Bush's speech last night.

The escalation being opposed by generals in the field, woefully inadequate, and deemed unnecessary by the Iraqi Government itself has led some to speculate on whether the escalation doesn't involve Iran and Syria in some way. I mean, who would be so stupid as to throw more troops in now? They point to these lines in Bush's speech:

I recently ordered the deployment of an additional carrier strike group to the region. We will expand intelligence sharing - and deploy Patriot air defense systems to reassure our friends and allies.

In addition to the more direct threats, according to Bloomberg:

Bush accused Iran and Syria of aiding the movement of "terrorists and insurgents" in and out of Iraq and said the U.S. will "seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies."

Update:

According to Steve Clemons, Bush may have bypassed Congress to start a secret war on both Iran and Syria:

Washington intelligence, military and foreign policy circles are abuzz today with speculation that the President, yesterday or in recent days, sent a secret Executive Order to the Secretary of Defense and to the Director of the CIA to launch military operations against Syria and Iran.

The President may have started a new secret, informal war against Syria and Iran without the consent of Congress or any broad discussion with the country.

The NY Times pointed out that: "One senior administration official said this evening that the omission of the usual wording about seeking a diplomatic solution [to the Iranian nuclear stand-off] 'was not accidental.'"

The only possible glimmer of good news in this whole shitstorm comes from, of all places, the National Review's John Podhoretz, via Sandy Levinson:

Want a little tough truth with your morning coffee? McCain can do this, and Rudy can do that, and Romney can do the other thing. But if tonight's speech doesn't herald the beginning of a serious turnaround in Iraq that is plain to see by spring of next year, the Risen Christ could be the Republican nominee in 2008 and He wouldn't be able to win against Al Sharpton.

Heavens! A black man?

Evan Derkacz is an AlterNet editor. He writes and edits PEEK, the blog of blogs.

Source:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetalternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs/peek/46589/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetalternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs/peek/46589/[/url]

:sl:/Peace To All

Invasion Of Iranian Mission A Distraction From The Distraction...

Joshua Holland: Interesting Timing.

Posted by Joshua Holland

At 10:32 AM on January 11, 2007.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_alternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_alternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs[/url]

While I don't underestimate the seriousness of the Bushies' threats against Iran in general, the timing of last night's raid on the Iranian mission in Northern Iraq appears designed to distract us from the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the latest Hair-Brained Scheme for Victory.

They are certainly masters of the news cycle.

Meanwhile, not everyone is as thrilled with our recent bombing of Somalia as are our legion of Cheeto-stained war-bloggers (a strike that apparently missed the "senior al Qaeda members that we supposedly targeted) ...

The US military intervention in Somalia -- the first of its kind since a disastrous humanitarian mission ended in 1994 -- has sparked widespread criticism from the international community.

The European Union, United Nations and former colonial power Italy condemned the attacks which they say could only serve to further destabilize an already weakened and volatile region.

The result of what are clearly moves motivated more by domestic politics than any strategic imperative is that the White House seems to be working hard to provide more and more evidence for the Muslim world that the War on Terra is in fact a war on Islam. And while that reality has become obscured to a degree by its emergence as a political argument, it's hard to imagine that, at some point, the chickens aren't going to come home to roost (see, here ($$), for example).

Joshua Holland is a staff writer at Alternet and a regular contributor to The Gadflyer.

Source:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetalternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs/peek/46596/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetalternet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/blogs/peek/46596/[/url]

Now we're even. B)

LOL

Yeah. But, we could of done that here with ease, and immediately after the taking of our guys.

A tit-for-tat, and conduct a trade-off...

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"http://######abcnews.go######/International/IraqCoverage/story?id=1692347&page=1"]Link[/url]

Intelligence Officials Say Weapons Responsible for Increasing U.S. Deaths in Iraq

By BRIAN ROSS, RICHARD ESPOSITO and JILL RACKMILL

March 6, 2006 — U.S. military and intelligence officials tell ABC News that they have caught shipments of deadly new bombs at the Iran-Iraq border.

They are a very nasty piece of business, capable of penetrating U.S. troops' strongest armor.

What the United States says links them to Iran are tell-tale manufacturing signatures — certain types of machine-shop welds and material indicating they are built by the same bomb factory.

"The signature is the same because they are exactly the same in production," says explosives expert Kevin Barry. "So it's the same make and model."

U.S. officials say roadside bomb attacks against American forces in Iraq have become much more deadly as more and more of the Iran-designed and Iran-produced bombs have been smuggled in from the country since last October.

"I think the evidence is strong that the Iranian government is making these IEDs, and the Iranian government is sending them across the border and they are killing U.S. troops once they get there," says Richard Clarke, former White House counterterrorism chief and an ABC News consultant. "I think it's very hard to escape the conclusion that, in all probability, the Iranian government is knowingly killing U.S. troops."

'Very Lethal'

U.S. intelligence officials say Iran is using the bombs as a way to drive up U.S. casualties in Iraq but without provoking a direct confrontation.

John Negroponte, director of national intelligence, testified before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence on Feb. 2, saying, "Tehran's intention to inflict pain on the United States and Iraq has been constrained by its caution to avoid giving Washington an excuse to attack it."

The U.S. Army has embarked on a crash effort to find ways to stop the bombs, according to an unclassified report issued last month. The devices are easily hidden and detonated by motion detectors — like those used in garden security lights — that cannot be jammed.

When exploded, the copper disc becomes a molten liquid bullet that can penetrate the thickest armor the United States has.

naturally the us needed its army to raid the iranian consulate and arrest six members of staff who are only doing thier job, next i suppose they'll be somehow linked to alqaeda.... cowards

Iran entered the war long ago on their own, when they started sending I.E.D.s' to be used against U.S. troops.

i want anybody on this forum to tell me this is not an Act of War

Iran has been openly supplying and supporting the militias that kill iraqis and US troops on a daily basis. Not to mention openly supplying Hezbollah that attacks israel. Some one tell me that these aren't acts of war.

If the above aren't acts of war, then this certainly isn't. the secret war between Iran and the US has been going on for some time.

Peace

Iran has been openly supplying and supporting the militias that kill iraqis

True, True. However it would be imprudent at best to start a war against Iran.

To all the brothers who are supporting Iran, know that you are supporting the shiah deathsquads which are killing our iraqi brothers and sisters daily. Having said that, I do NOT think iran should be invaded or attacked in any way.

Salaams

:sl: dear muslims

You've Lost me.

This has little to do with what Iran has been doing.

Point is USA, and has targeted an Iranian building on Iranian Soil, which is illegal.

Dont get into this "Iran is helping with the Killings of Iraqis", because US is guilty of that anyway.

I dont think there is anyone here on the forum who likes Iran, but point is USA is being aggressive with Iran.

Iran has been openly supplying and supporting the militias that kill iraqis and US troops on a daily basis. Not to mention openly supplying Hezbollah that attacks israel. Some one tell me that these aren't acts of war.

If the above aren't acts of war, then this certainly isn't. the secret war between Iran and the US has been going on for some time.

amertica has been supplying and supporting militias/terrorisists/army that kill civi's all over the world for ages so its only fair that someone supply's the mujahideen with tools to scare the enemy

Dont get into this "Iran is helping with the Killings of Iraqis", because US is guilty of that anyway.

I dont think there is anyone here on the forum who likes Iran, but point is USA is being aggressive with Iran.

Agree 100%

amertica has been supplying and supporting militias/terrorisists/army that kill civi's all over the world for ages so its only fair that someone supply's the mujahideen with tools to scare the enemy

Iran is supplying and backing most of the shia deathsquads which are killing our bros and sisters.

Salaams

I wonder when the US army is going to storm the Saudi consulate in Iraq...since there are reports that they too are supporting the Sunni insurgency there...

True, True. However it would be imprudent at best to start a war against Iran.

To all the brothers who are supporting Iran, know that you are supporting the shiah deathsquads which are killing our iraqi brothers and sisters daily. Having said that, I do NOT think iran should be invaded or attacked in any way.

Ok. You've pretty much echoed exactly how I feel about the issue. I just don't want people to blow a gasket when a consulate is attacked because it is supporting these death squads.

Who cares if the US forces stormed an Iranian consulate, it's nowhere near as barbaric as what the Iranians did in 1979 to the US embassy - how long the hostages kept for?

Nothing wrong with playing by the same rules as the Persians.

There are torture camps where they speak Farsi. (The main Iranian language)

Set up by Iran. Theres also rumors that there are torture camps specifically for sunni women.

The militias Iran funds like to take power drills to people's skulls after going to everyother joint in the body.

These peope don't even have support from most of the Shiite. My friend was there when they raided a building dressed up to be a Masjid that turned out to be a shiite torture chamber (or house). It was a shiite neighborhood, but still, everyone in the street ran out to cheer that Al Sadrs boys were gone.

Iran is training these guys, funding them. They have stuff like this all over the country, illegal things, attacking sunnis specifically. I don't understand how any muslim on here would be opposed to the US capturing Iranians engaged in illegal activity, that contributes to the death of your brothers and sisters.

Yeah, Suadi Arabia is funding the Sunnis, but its through private donors. The Shiite get funds and training directly through the Iranian gov't.

Have you heard about all the tribal leaders sending thier men to be trained in Jordan to fight Al Queda? They are gonna fight alongside the US to get rid of Al Queda from Anbar.

Now we're even. B)

.. revenge has been fully achieved :sl:

Who cares if the US forces stormed an Iranian consulate, it's nowhere near as barbaric as what the Iranians did in 1979 to the US embassy - how long the hostages kept for? Nothing wrong with playing by the same rules as the Persians.

Are you sure it is how the game should be played? What if the Japanese played by the same rules and bombed the whole cities of New York and Washington?

Sky, it would be interesting to here more of your friend's firsthand accounts in the future. :sl:

LOL, I still remembered his male friend being molested by an Egyptian man in a shop in Egypt.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

.. revenge has been fully achieved :sl:

Are you sure it is how the game should be played? What if the Japanese played by the same rules and bombed the whole cities of New York and Washington?

LOL, I still remembered his male friend being molested by an Egyptian man in a shop in Egypt.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

I'm sure that if Japan were involved in hostilities against the US (THEY ARE NOT AT THE MINUTE, thought it best to point that out) then they would indeed seek revenge for Hiroshima, Nagasaki and Tokyo.

Yes it is how the game should be played, although the US should have either held them captive for 444 days, either in the consulate or camp x-ray either suits me.

And how you can even begin to criticise US revenge, after the muslim world seems to have been built on the concept.

Yes it is how the game should be played, although the US should have either held them captive for 444 days, either in the consulate or camp x-ray either suits me.

Okay what if Japan was ruled by a mad man, and this mad man decided to bomb Washington and Nagasaki. Many decades later, the US played the same game bombed two cities in Japan because a man in that country used to bomb their cities decades ago. Is that your kind of game?

And how you can even begin to criticise US revenge, after the muslim world seems to have been built on the concept.

Such as?

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Such as?

Wassalam,

Yasnov

Try this one...

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5449207443550026106&q=danish+cartoon"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...=danish+cartoon[/url]

The beautiful face of Islam in the UK