Islamic Forum

:sl: everyone :j: everyone's being is fine. Me alhamdulillah can't complain.

I was told that tasbeeh beads are bid'ah and we should be using our right hand

(the Sunnah). I just wanted to know if anyone else knew more about this and if so I'd like to read the resources so I understand

more so I can inform other Muslims & Muslimas about it

:)

:sl:[using large font size is not allowed]

PropellerAds

:sl:

Please refer to the following reply:

Wa alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuhu,

In the Name of Allah, Most Merciful & Compassionate

An innovation is something inaugurated in matters of religion that is against the principles of the Shariah. This is taken from the very words of the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) that,

“Whoever inaugurates in our religion something that is not of it shall have it rejected.” [bukhari and Muslim]This is because the Prophet’s words make clear that matters that are new in religion are of two types:

a) matters that are in accordance with the principles and guidance of Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him)—these are ‘of it’;

b ) matters that are not in accordance with the principles and guidance of Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him)—it is these are ‘not of it,’ and their doer ‘shall have it rejected.’

As relates to prayer beads:

a) They are a means to one of the general central practices encouraged by Allah and His Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him): the remembrance of Allah. Allah has made ‘much remembrance of Allah’ one of the ways to be hopeful of salvation. Sayyida A’isha (Allah be pleased with her) tells us, “The Messenger of Allah used to be in remembrance of Allah at all times.” [bukhari and Muslim] The established principle of the Shariah is that, “Means take the rulings of the ends they are used for,” as long as they are not in themselves blameworthy or deemed interdicted by the Lawgiver.

b ) Furthermore, they are a means to fulfill the specific sunna of making particular dhikrs are a large number of times (such as 100 times). This is not easy for everyone to do, particularly when mind and body are busy in worldly concerns, without a means of keeping track of the number. This is why we find various Companions of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) using pebbles, date pits, knotted strings, and the like. Did they get the Prophet’s permission for these actions? No. Why? Because these are permitted means to the praiseworthy.

c) Prayer beads act as a reminder to make remembrance of Allah. This is not only a means to acting on this great sunna and key to proximity with Allah and His love and pleasure, but also a means of maintaining uprightness and avoiding sin—it is rare that one sin while in a state of remembrance of Allah.

This is why traditional scholarship has accepted and praised the use of prayer beads. As for some of our dear yet methodologically challenged brethren (whose dhikr is dispute, and conduct coarse), their ‘understandings’ are ultimately a methodological innovation in of themselves.

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani.

Taken from: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_qa.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=3604&CATE=148"]Prayer Beads: An Innovation?[/url]

Edited by emel

Assalamu Alaikum

Wether it's biddah or not is a debate between sufis and salafis, both have arguments but I find the salafis argument stronger because the prophet pbuh used to count on his right hand, and also said "Count with the fingertips, for they will be made to speak." which means on the day of judgement they (your fingers) will bear witness for you that you were praising Allah, they could save your life!

Even if it's not biddah I don't know why anyone would choose the beads over the fingers when fingers is clearly preferable and better for you.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-'Uthaymeen (al-Liqa' al-Maftooh, 3/30) was asked whether using the masbahah for tasbeeh is bid'ah, and his reply was: "It is better not to do tasbeeh with the masbahah, but it is not bid'ah, because there is a basis for it, which is the fact that some of the Sahaabah did tasbeeh with pebbles. But the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) taught that tasbeeh with the fingers is better, as he said, 'Count with the fingertips, for they will be made to speak.' Doing tasbeeh with the masbahah is not haraam or bid'ah, but it is better not to do it, because the one who does tasbeeh with the masbahah has shunned something better. Using the masbahah may also be contaminated with some element of showing off, because we see some people carrying masbahahs that contain a thousand beads, as if they are telling people, 'Look at me, I do a thousand tasbeehs!' Secondly, those who use the masbahah for tasbeeh are usually absent-minded and not focused, so you see them doing tasbeeh with the beads, but their gaze is wandering all over the place, which indicates that they are not really concentrating. It is better to do tasbeeh with one's fingers, preferably using the right hand rather than the left, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allâh be upon him) used to count his tasbeeh on his right hand. If a person counts his tasbeeh using both hands, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is better to use the right hand only."

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ref=3009&ln=eng&txt=beads"]Source[/url]

Peace

Wether it's biddah or not is a debate between sufis and salafis

Salafism is just a methodology, its not really a sect...and so is sufism.

I find the sunnipath explanation as being sufficient and correct.

Salaams

Peace

Salafism is just a methodology, its not really a sect...and so is sufism.

I find the sunnipath explanation as being sufficient and correct.

Salaams

Assalamu Alaikum

Who said anything about sects?

That's your choice bro, but me personally I'd rather follow the sunnah.

If Shaykh al'Uthaymeen; one of the leading salafi scholars, has also stated that it is not bidd'ah as there is a basis for it, and all traditional schools of thought do not call it a bidd'ah surely this is concensus and therefore those who use prayer beads should not be condemned by other Muslims.

This of course, does not discount the use of the fingertips of the right hand as being a sunnah and therefore meritorious in itself. I personally find it easier to keep count and concentrate on my adhkar better using prayer beads.

Edited by emel

Salaamu Alaikum

I personally would go with the answer from Islam-qa that brother Pe[at]ce provided. I don't believe it's bidah, but shouldn't we be following what the prophet :sl: did, and stick to performing things the way he :sl: did? which was using his fingers and not the beads.

Note: No sect talk please, as it is against IF Rules.

salaams

If one feels uncomfortable using prayer beads, then doesn't have to. But i think if one finds it beneficial to use, then he shouldn't be condemned either, since many great fuqaha of the salaf have confirmed its permissibility. The greatest hadith experts, including giants like Imam al-Nawawi, Imam Ibn Hajar al-Asqalani, Imam Badr al-Din al-`Ayni, and others all explicitly permitted the use of prayer beads.

Allahu A'lam.

Assalamu Alaikum sister emel

That Shaykh also went on to say "... but it is better not to do it, because the one who does tasbeeh with the masbahah has shunned something better."

Even though one is saying it's biddah and one is saying it isn't, the unanimous opinion of those salafi scholars is that it is better to not use beads and better to use your fingers (which is sunnah), whereas the scholar on your site promotes the use of beads and even says it's a good thing yet doesn't even mention the sunnnah of the prophet.

I don't believe it's biddah or have a problem with anyone that uses beads, I'm just reminding people that the prophets sunnah was to use his fingers and that he said it is better to use your fingers and that he also said your fingers will speak for you on the day of judgement. There must be a good reason why he said all those things.

I personally would go with the answer from Islam-qa that brother Pe[at]ce provided. I don't believe it's bidah, but shouldn't we be following what the prophet s.gif did, and stick to performing things the way he s.gif did? which was using his fingers and not the beads.
If some people prefer the beads and it works better for them, then its their choice, it makes no difference, as the majority of scholars permit it.

However if one prefers using his/her fingers then that's great too. For example the Prophet(pbuh) rode cammels, but nowadays if people want to drive a car that's fine as well.

"Even though one is saying it's biddah and one is saying it isn't"

There is Good Bid'ah and Bad Bid'ah. Not all Bid'ah is bad.

Salaams

Edited by anthony19832005

There is Good Bid'ah and Bad Bid'ah. Not all Bid'ah is bad.

Salaams

Assalamu Alaikum

Firstly; that topic is a different debate/thread altogether.

Secondly; you're obviously not paying attention in this thread are you? I nor anyone else in this thread has said it's biddah infact we have said the OPPOSITE. I/we're not saying because the prophet didn't use it that we shouldn't, what we're saying is, the prophet TOLD us it is BETTER to use our FINGERS.

Incase you missed it:

I don't believe it's biddah or have a problem with anyone that uses beads, I'm just reminding people that the prophets sunnah was to use his fingers and that he said it is better to use your fingers and that he also said your fingers will speak for you on the day of judgement. There must be a good reason why he said all those things.

It is true, our fingertips will speak so I myself would rather use my the Sunnah as well. I just needed to clarify this question and now that I know and have proof to cover my argument when talking to my brothers and sisters they can understand. :sl: everyone for your replies and opinions

Some sahaba were using stones to make dhikr, and the Prophet pbuh told them it is better to use the fingers.

If the Prophet pbuh said the fingers are better, then we should use the fingers. And that is the opinion of the salafi scholars insha'Allah that it is BETTER to use the fingers.

There is no such thing as good bid3a and bad bid3a

{Moderator note}

This post violated forum rule #16. Action taken. View (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?act=boardrules"]details[/url].

Edited by shiningstar

There is no such thing as good bid3a and bad bid3a

You're kidding right? lol offcourse there is.

Please keep on topic. Feel free to start a new, separate topic to discuss whatever you feel like discussing, but not here please. Going off-topic is a violation of IF rules, and is not fair to the topic starter.

Thank you for helping us better organize IF. :sl:

Edited by shiningstar

You're kidding right? lol offcourse there is.

Salaams

I think he meant in the religion. There's no such thing as a good bid'ah in religion, no matter what it is.

Bid'ah literally translates to 'innovation' so of course there is good bid'ah like technology, etc.

But in the religion, ANYTHING new is bad. Period. No questions.

As for using the beads, I don't personally. A lot of people in Arab countries, and even here in the West, will have it in their pockets and sometimes hold it and carry it around. And here in the West they'll hang it up in the car, around the mirror (where the air-freshener is put). I find that useless, and copying the modern-day Christians who wear crosses, carry them around, and hang them up in their cars as well.

Peace

There's no such thing as a good bid'ah in religion, no matter what it is.
yes there is. Remember Umar bin al-Khattab, the second Caliph did not apply Hud punishment to those accused of theft during the period of famine in the state of Madina. That was good bid'ah.

But in the religion, ANYTHING new is bad. Period. No questions.

lol, brother you speak as if you are some kind of authority in Islam. You are wrong there I am afraid. See (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.muslimvillage(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=28537&hl="]Here[/url]

Salaams

Edited by anthony19832005

No I am speaking because Prophet Muhammad :sl: used to say "the worst matters in religion are the newly-invented matters."

And Umar ibn-Al-khattab (R.A.) did that temporarily.

Never! I might be proved wrong! How would I then deflate my head?! Also, this horse is now too high for me to get off without getting hurt!!

salamualaikum

We are told to follow the sunnah of the Prophet and the rightly guided caliphas...any newly invented matter in the religion after that is bid'a..and The Prophet pbuh said All bid'a is error and all error is in the hell-fire..

I agree, but some scholars consider the tasbeeh-beads to not be a new matter in the religion, as it is said that some sahaba used rocks to count. As far as I know, Prophet Muhammad :saw: used his fingers, and I'd rather do the same insha'Allah.

exactly, And that's what the majority of scholars say...Because the sahaba used the pebbles, but rasoolAllah told them it is BETTER to use the right hand..why not use the right hand then?

Someone quoted sheikh uthaymeen rahimahullah...that's really the opinion of most scholars...

its just, some sufi's take it to the extreme when they do there 100,000 dhikrs, they make a huge bead...but that's another discussion..