Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
modestsister

My Mother And I Took Shahadah On The Same Day

Salam Alaikum,

I am a 24 year old revert to Islam. I started studying Islam a few days after I moved from West Virginia (USA) to Rochester, MN (USA). A little less then two weeks after studying my heart broke and I found myself in tears as I read the third chapter in the Holy Quran. I was in to much fear not to accept Islam as the only one true religion or way of life. I asked my friends how I can revert to Islam. They told me that first I needed my parents permission. My mother and father where divorced and I had not seen my dad sense I was 2 years old so sense I had no contact with him I just asked my mother. When I was about to talk with my mother about me wanting to convert to Islam, I was so afraid at what she would say, I figured it would be a "no" but to my surprise I found that my mother had been studying Islam for about 7 years. She had not told me about her studies because I was a strong and devoted Christian, in fact my intentions when I first picked up the Quran was to try to find errors so to help my Muslim friends convert to Christianity, just it happened to back fire and I found myself wanting to convert to Islam. My mother was so relived the day I asked her permission to revert to Islam. I then took her to meet with a older Pakistani brother who ran a restruant at our local town galeria. He gave us the phone number of a Sister who could teach us about Islam, a sister who had a 4 year degree in Islamic Studies from Saudi Arabia. This sister incouraged us both to take Shahadah and so we did. We where all set to go to the Masjid to take our Shahdah when we had last minute plans. The sister who was teaching us was not feeling well so she invited about 10 sisters over to her home for our witnesses and we all met at her home and tookd our Shahdah. My mother went first, it was so beautiful to hear my mom recite Shahdah after the sister. Then it was my turn to take Shahdah. My heart was pounding in my chest, I was so nervious but at the same time after I was finished I was in shock. What did I just do? that question just hit me but then along with it a feeling of peace, a sense of a familiar belonging that seemed like it had been missing practically all of my life.

Sense I reverted to Islam I have found so many challenges along with so many blessings. For example, if my mother had not taken Shahdah with me then I don't know where I would be now. She has been so strong and a wonderful shoulder to cry on when I went thru being judged by other Muslims and being called a reject and trader by my fellow Americans. All that I have gone thru with others is because of culture, not because of Islam. Accepting Islam was the best decision I ever made and the best blessing Alalh has ever given me. My only regret is that I did not know about Islam when I was a child growing up, if I had my way it would had been raised a Muslim because reverting is vary difficult. I have had to start like a child to learn when I wish I new all of these things about our beloved Prophet when I was a kid so that way I could be a better Muslim today and be more helpful at teaching others about Islam. At this time I desire so much to teach others about Islam but my knowledge is vary limited so it is my hearts desire and my goal to learn as much as I can so I can help others who don't know of Islam to learn and Inshallah accept Islam as I did.

All I can say is Mashallah, Subhanallah, Allah Akbar and so many other wonderful praises and names of Allah comes to mind.

Fe Amen Allah,

Sister Heather

PropellerAds

:sl:

Alhumdullah! Mashallah sister. Wow thats crazy... Your mother has been studying Islam for 7 years? all your ast sins are forgiven, so be happy. :sl:

What a truly beautiful story, sister, jazak'Allah khair for sharing. :sl:

Allah has given you an amazing gift by guiding you both to Islam. Neither of you will ever be alone, and insha'Allah, you will lean on each other in times of hardship. May Allah make your faiths strong for the rest of your lives.

Salam Alaikum Brother,

Yes I am vary happy, Alhumduallah. We converted to Islam July of 2001.

About 12 years ago my mother was temporarily blind due to MS, a medical condition. She was considered legally blind so as a service to the blind our local library would send her these books on tape. The way it worked was that she would send in a request for what books she wanted and they would ship them to her in the mail. One day she was expecting the Bible on tape but got the Quran instead. When I was at school she was listening to it. Listening to the Quran is what opened her eyes. I did not know about her ever getting the Quran until the day I told her I wanted to convert to Islam, that is when she told me about that time. I mean I knew she was getting books and listening to them but never did I know she was listening to a English recitation of the Quran, Mashallah. Alhumduallah she has her eye sight back now, her blindness lasted for about 2 years but Allah rewarded her in getting it back. However form time to time she does get swelling of the optic nerve which has to be treated with steroids so she just looses about half of her sight from time to time and gets it back within a few weeks. May Allah help her in her sufferings, amen.

Alhumdullah! Mashallah sister. Wow thats crazy... Your mother has been studying Islam for 7 years? all your ast sins are forgiven, so be happy. :sl:

asalam alkueim wa rahtmuh-allahi-wa-baraktuh

masallah sister what a wonderful story u just gave out may Allah(swt~) reward your and your mother and make your heart opend to Islam

ameen ya Allah ameen

your sister in Islam

Such a beautiful story sister Heather! MashaAllah what a blessing to go through this journey with your mother. Not only has Allah bestowed upon you guidance, but also a companion (and who better than your mother) to travel the path with you. May Allah bless you always.

May Allah heal your mother and make her illness a source of purification for her.

I'm touched that you shared your story with us.

Much love to you and your mother :sl: .

Asalam alaikum sis Heather

SubhanAllah walhamdulillah, I'm so happy for you and your dear mother, mashAllah I can begin to imagine how contenting it feels to have your mother right by your side in this journey. I am very close to my mother and she is with me in every step of the way.... you are incredibly fortunate to have took the shahada alongside your mum.

May Allah shower his blessings upon you, grant you and your mother a wonderful health, mercy, patience and increasing knowledge/imaan. ameen

Aww mashallah,such a wonderful touching story,I was heart touched by the title itself alhumdulilah.

May Allah give u and your mother a long healthy life full of blessings and happiness.Ameen.

Ameen to the duas.

Alhumdulilah mothers are a big part of a childs heart,and should be loved always. :j:

May Allah reward you for your good intentions.Ameen.

Edited by Aaqib Ahmed

Wow. Every convertion story is so beautiful like this one!...

So what was your happiest expression within these 12 years

ALHAMUDULILLAH. such a wonderful touching story. May Allah help us all follow the path wich pleases HIM.Ameen.

Shukran to you and all the other posters for your kind words as well as I was and am so happy to share with you my experience in my journey to Islam and life after reverting. It was my mom who herd about the Quran 12 years ago, for me it was 5 1/2 years ago, just about 2 weeks before I took Shahadah, Alhumduallah. July/2001

During these past 5 1/2 years my happiest time was when I finally prayed Fajir prayer and kept with it waking up early every morning. There is nothing like praying fajir next to my husband each morning and worshiping Allah side by side, Mashallah. Fajir truly is the best way to start a day... I remember back when I did not pray Fajir and truly it makes a huge difference in my day. If I am late (alarm clock doesn't wake me up, rarely happens), my whole day is set off balance.

Wow. Every convertion story is so beautiful like this one!...

So what was your happiest expression within these 12 years

Salam Alaikum,

I went thru being judged by other Muslims and being called a reject and trader by my fellow Americans. All that I have gone thru with others is because of culture, not because of Islam. Accepting Islam was the best decision I ever made and the best blessing Alalh has ever given me. .

Fe Amen Allah,

Sister Heather

:sl: sister Heather

your story of discovering and accepting Islam brought tears to my eyes. i feel so proud and at the same time humble for being a muslim and being a witness to the reverting of so many brothers and sisters like you.

Cultural differences exist even in people of the same family, leave alone nations and races. so with Allah's (swt) help you will overcome that Insha Allah.

" At this time I desire so much to teach others about Islam but my knowledge is vary limited so it is my hearts desire and my goal to learn as much as I can so I can help others who don't know of Islam to learn and Inshallah accept Islam as I did."

May Allah grant you the ability to learn fast and also to help others to come to the path of Islam.

Ameen

Assalamu alaikum Heather, Glad I read this thread, and yes, let me tell you, your poems are very inspiring, subhanAllah. May I ask you how your mom's eyes are now. My deepest regards to her and your children.

InshaAllah I pray that Allah will increase my knowledge of Islam as well as your's and the other Brothers and sistrs too. We learn everyday until we die.

Take care, Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Edited by umAhmad

Alhumdullilah, this a nice story, may Allah guide you and your mother always.

Walekum Salam Sis,

Alhumduallah her eyes are doing much better to where she can drive again. She is a navy veteran and had to go to the VA hospital about a month ago due to optic neuritis however after a few days of steriods threw an IV and many days of oral steroids she is doing much better. The doctor thought she had MS years ago but could not prove or disprove but with her reoccurring optic Neuritis and an MRI that showed lesions on her brain they where finally able to diagnose MS so she is now getting treatment, Subhanallah. She told me that the VA Hospital in DC has a wonderful MS clinic devoted specifically to veterans with MS, so that is a bit up lifting that hopefully she will be in good care, Inshallah. Which is a relief after her past few hospital stays where she had been neglected of food and help most likely due to wearing the hijab along them breaching many of her patient rights... Alhumduallah she is getting legal help from an American Muslim organization to bring attention to the bad treatment Muslims get at the Vetrans hospital so Inshallah in the future Muslims will be treated better... as for this MS clinic I sooo hope they treat her better then how she was treated during her hospital stay... Please make duas for her, she is up for a long difficult legal battle with the Veterans hospital, I am just so happy that this Muslim organization took her case, Alhumduallah.

Shukran,

Sister Heather

Assalamu alaikum Heather, Glad I read this thread, and yes, let me tell you, our poems are very inspiring, subhanAllah. May I ask you how your mom's eyes are now. My deepest regards to her and your children.

InshaAllah I pray that Allah will increase my knowledge of Islam as well as your's and the other Brothers and sistrs too. We learn everyday until we die.

Take care, Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Salamz sister,

Allhumdullilah that is amazing...if you ever need anything ...you knw all ur broz and sisz r here to help you anytime! INSHALLAH I hope your mom overcomes her eye problem AMEEN!

You guys will be in my prayers,

Sarah

Ameen to all the Duas.

May Allah give u and your mother immense happiness and blessings always.Ameen.

Your already a great asset to this forum mashallah,keep up the inspiring posts sis. :j:

Inshallah u and your mother will be remembered in my duas.

:sl: dear sister Heather

Subhan'Allaah

A warm welcome to Islam for both you and your mom :j: You've definitely chosen the true path and you will be greatly rewarded.

At this time I desire so much to teach others about Islam but my knowledge is vary limited so it is my hearts desire and my goal to learn as much as I can so I can help others who don't know of Islam to learn and Inshallah accept Islam as I did.
Insha'Allaah you will dear sis and immensly be rewarded.

Please make duas for her

Your mother will remain in my duaas.

Salamu alaykum,

Sister Heather it must be a very good feeling to revert with your mom.Lots of reverts have problems with their non-muslim parents.Anyway you are now on right path,moreover with your mom!

With much love,

Mina

Salamu alaykum,

Sister Heather it must be a very good feeling to revert with your mom.Lots of reverts have problems with their non-muslim parents.Anyway you are now on right path,moreover with your mom!

With much love,

Mina

Walekum Salam Sis,

I was so happy she reverted with me. I hear so many stories about Sisters who are dis-owned by their family or the horrible verbal struggle they go thru. Allah just willed this for both of us, Subhanallah.

Love and Hugs

Sister Heather

salaam,

mashAllah sister, that story was so beautiful. welcome to Islam! you'll definetly enjoy your stay :sl:

Walekum Salam Sis,

I was so happy she reverted with me. I hear so many stories about Sisters who are dis-owned by their family or the horrible verbal struggle they go thru. Allah just willed this for both of us, Subhanallah.

Love and Hugs

Sister Heather

salaaam....i am really happy ....God has made path easy for u which some new muslims get tested by God to see one's firmness on religion. Did u know u people who revert with choice get double reward which we people muslim by chance dont get :sl:....

now since u have accepted Islam....try to learn hadiths |(sayings of prophet) which are authentic...especially the book "Riyadus saleheen" which contains authentic hadith regarding prayers to be said like wot to say when eating , before sleeping...etc

As advice I want to tell u ....Islam is never difficult , it is people around u that make it difficult,... our God knows our limitations but we have to try our best ...

Remember try your best to stick to prayers...stick to proper quran and sunnah translations as prophet said u split into many sects ...but only one sect will be saved who r on way of companion and prophet ...and stick to quran and sunnah.if u have any doubt ask learned people and always ask them for reference atleast u can check later

Prophet Mohammed (SAW) said, "I warn you of extremism in the Religion for indeed those that came before you were destroyed due to their extremism in the religion."

Reported by an-Nasaa'ee (5/268), ibn Maajah (no. 3029), Ahmad (1/215, 347) with a saheeh sanad.

Wish u all the best for both worlds :sl:

:sl: Sister Heather, :sl:

Masha Allah, that is one of the most beautiful conversion stories I have ever heard. May Allah bless you and your Mom and continue to guide you on the right path always.

Fee Imanillah