Islamic Forum
sarahH.

Is This Sesxism In Islam?

:sl:

What I don't understand is why no one provides any scriptural basis for their sexist claims.

Which verse of the Qu'ran says that women can't lead a country?

Which verse of the Qur'an says that women can't recite the Qur'an?

Which verse of the Qur'an says that all women must wear a hijab?

Which verse of the Qur'an justifies the rampant sexism that is extreamly present in the Islamic world today?

And before I get slammed with articles by various scholars, I am saying now that they do not constitute proof. Which verse of the Qu'ran says I have to listen to scholars? Again, I want Qur'an verses only.

Edited by Pete

PropellerAds

What I don't understand is why no one provides any scriptural basis for their sexist claims.

Which verse of the Qur'an says that all women must wear a hijab?

Again, I want Qur'an verses only.

not sure who you talkin to but here is answer for the hijab :

Surah an-Nur verse 31 reads:

And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms, and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to God together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful.

Surah al-Ahzab verse 59 reads:

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outergarments (jilbabs) close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

thats the webpage where i got the answer from.....(you are not allowed to post links yet)"http://############muhajabah######/dresslikethat.htm"]link[/url]

not sure who you talkin to but here is answer for the hijab :

Surah an-Nur verse 31 reads:

And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms, and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to God together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful.

Surah al-Ahzab verse 59 reads:

O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outergarments (jilbabs) close around them; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

thats the webpage where i got the answer from.....(you are not allowed to post links yet)"http://############muhajabah######/dresslikethat.htm"]link[/url]

It seems to me that the first verse you posted says that women should cover their bosoms. Women before Islam wore head coverings anyways because it was Arabia, but that doesn't mean that as long as women dress modestly that means that they have to be totally covered and noticeable, esspecially when men don't have to wear any distinct clothing. That, of course, would be sexist.

As to the second verse, it says it would be better as women would not be annoyed, but that doesn't mean it's mandatory. And then as in a direct confirmation of this, it says that God is forgiving and merciful, making it seem as though if you did not wear a hijab God would forgive and understand.

how many of u actually get excited when u hear a womans voice? i am not questioning Allahs law.. i just want an honest answer from the brothers here...forget about voice....

k for the voice thing have you ever heard of that song called "sk8er boy":sl:

Yea well in that song is this female singer. I heard this song long time ago. The lyrics stayed with me, and they preached an idea. The idea can be evil or good, but the message becomes clear when sung in a female voice. The voice comes back, and then leaves every now and then. Male voice has less of power, but what about the male who has a female voices.

:sl: Its a complex thing...

I don't think a man would be likely to rape a women if he heard her voice, but if he heard her voice and it was soft temptations may be created... For sure, and that may be why the Quran tells Muslim women to not speak softly with men.

:j:

Yeah, that says a lot about you.

w/salaam

SarahH you lose... My buddy tells me that you are a Jew. :)

Edited by Ryo_Akiski

And before I get slammed with articles by various scholars, I am saying now that they do not constitute proof. Which verse of the Qu'ran says I have to listen to scholars? Again, I want Qur'an verses only.

That's concerning hijab.

{...And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and adornments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their head veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers...} (Qur'an 24:30-31),

If you open up a classical Arabic dictionary, the word in the verse "Khamrihn" means specifically the head scarf which the Arabs used to cover the hair and distend down around the neck and below. Each word is CAREFULLY chosen by God, and that word is so unique that it is used in no other place but to denote that covering type.

Also,

{O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons...that they should be known and not molested} (Qur'an 33:59).

If you open up a classical Arabic dictionary, the word in the verse "Jalabeeb" means specifically the loose cover worn over the shoulders which covers the ENTIRE body. God is choosing specific words whose meanings cannot be played with.

From the authentic hadiths:

Now from authentic hadiths:

The Prophet (pbuh) said:

"...If the woman reaches the age of puberty, no part of her body should be seen but this and this" --- and he pointed to his face and hands.

And `A'isha (ra), said:

"When a girl reaches puberty she must cover whatever her mother and grandmother must cover."

`A'isha also said: "By God, I never saw any women better than the women of the Ansar (i.e. the women of Madina) or stronger in their confirmation of God's Book! When Surat al-Nur was revealed -- {and to draw their 'khumur' over their bosoms} (24:31) -- their men went back to them reciting to them what Allah had revealed to them in that [sura or verse], each man reciting it to his wife, daughter, sister, and relative. Not one woman among them remained except she got up on the spot, tore up her waist-wrap and covered herself from head-to-toe (i`jtajarat) with it. They prayed the very next dawn prayer covered from head to toe (mu`tajirat)."

Might I ask you where are the prayer and Hajj rituals described?

Peace

SaraH is not a jew.............

men don't have to wear any distinct clothing. That, of course, would be sexist.

Men DO have to wear loose clothing which does not show off their body too much.

Salaams

wow ajmal dude complitly got me wrong here...

and ryo man get your head straight.. i m MUSLIM... LA ILAHA ILLALLAHU MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH!