Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
seeker74

Segregation In Masjid?

I am wondering how many people go to masjid where men & women are separated:  

23 members have voted

1. 1. to what extent are you separated?

• totally separated (ie in a totally different room and entrance/exit)
    • short or transparent barrier or curtain
    • not at all except women pray in back
  2. 2. Are men and women separated for all aspect of masjid attendance such as picnics, meals, guest speakers, and other acts not directly related to prayer

• Yes
    • No

:sl:

I am wondering how many people go to masjid where men & women are separated. Please answer this it is very important to me, as I will soon explain. Also feel free to name the geographic area where your masjid is. I am not trying to start a contraversey as to which is right or wrong, that is certainly not my intent. So let's not let it devolve into that.

PropellerAds

I voted for

1) totally separated (ie in a totally different room and entrance/exit)

2) Yes

The Masjid is in US.

Edited by Mansoor Ansari

Assalamu Alaykum

I personally prefer that sister and brothers are totally separated if it is possible.

In the former masjid, before we had the masjid that you can see as my icon, the brothers prayer and had iftar et cetera downstairs and the sisters upstairs. At new Muslim classes the brothers and sisters were in one room, but a screen separated men and women.

In the new masjid there is a prayer hall for men and a prayer hall for women. They are separated by windows of glass, so that the sisters can see the khateeb. From the brothers' side it is a mirror. If there are classes then the brothers are in the front and the sisters sit in the back without screen but brothers don't look back etc. They have different entrances etc. They can speak in the community and they are involved in many activities and projects.

Salam

I am wondering how many people go to masjid where men & women are separated. Please answer this it is very important to me, as I will soon explain. Also feel free to name the geographic area where your masjid is. I am not trying to start a contraversey as to which is right or wrong, that is certainly not my intent. So let's not let it devolve into that.

Jazakallahu Khayran to all who voted and/or expressed their opinions. I would still like to see more votes to get a larger sample, but this will suffice. I am a recent convert and surprised to see the total separation of genders in the masjid. We can argue back and forth if it is right or not. This argument must be settled at some time. I understand both sides to the issue, but was still totally surprised by it. The reason I ask is that this separation keeps my wife from visiting the masjid. I was wondering if our local masjid was was the exception or the rule on this issue. We have only 2 masjid within reasonable distance from our home, one is 60 miles the other is 90 miles away. After that the nearest is 200+ miles

salaam

Assalaamu alaikum,

I voted totally separate, but both men and women use the same doors to enter the masjid, but the women's area is upstairs.

I voted yes on the second question, but sometimes there are women who choose to sit in the back of the men's area during guest speakers. These women are generally young college students. The MSA is very much mixed, but is somewhat separate from the masjid. All dinners are completely separate, and most women want to stay separate from the men.

There are also a couple of women on the board, so they attend the meetings with the men, but are accompanied by their spouse.

The masjid is located in the US.

Yes, the men and women are completely separated in the Masjid I attend. I have not been to any picnic or whatnot (at least not yet) but at the lectures, which are held next to the Masjid, I believe men and women are usually separated with the help of a curtain.

The Masjid is located in the south of Sweden, the city of Malmö.

---

I am sorry to hear that your wife is not attending the Masjid (if that is what she really wants to do). But I am a bit lost. What is preventing your wife from attending? Even though you are separated, she can “hang out†with the other sisters, no?

I am sorry to hear that your wife is not attending the Masjid (if that is what she really wants to do). But I am a bit lost. What is preventing your wife from attending? Even though you are separated, she can “hang out†with the other sisters, no?

Well, she feel slightly put off by the separation. As if it is demeaning t women, I guess.

She is just leary because she doesn't know any of the sisters there. but I tell her that when I first went to masjid, I knoew none of the brothers either.

I think it is an American/convert thing to be so put off by the separation.

There was no separation during Muhammad PBUH times, stop creating bidah and live his example.

There was no separation during Muhammad PBUH times, stop creating bidah and live his example.

Thank you brother you took the words right out of my mouth.

True but Hadrat Umar (RA) banend women from comin to masjids all together. So was he doing bidah?

And Masjids are praying, but at most Masjids I have seen women come in as if it's a fashion show. Men & women mingling & chatting with eachother for fun. When such circumstances happen, I think it's best to seperate them.

True but Hadrat Umar (RA) banend women from comin to masjids all together. So was he doing bidah?

Where did you get that from? He definitly did not. I know a few hadiths where he actually spoke to women in the masjid. He also didn't like the fact that his wife goes to the masjid every day but he did not dare to tell her that he doesn't want her to. When his wife asked why he didn't stop her if he doesn't like it he said that he can not make haram something that Allah has made halal.

Your information is wrong, unless you are speaking of someone else other than Omar Bin Al Khattab raa (the second Calif).

Because all present-day Muslims are as perfect as him, and because our times are easier than his? I'm sure more than one person would be trying to get a peek at the opposite gender.

Salam.

^ so because of that muslim women have to be shut way in closets because the brothers cannot control themselves?

as to umar he did not like it but he never forbade it

peace

so because of that muslim women have to be shut way in closets because the brothers cannot control themselves?

The same can be said for hijaab. ''Why do we need to wear hijaab? Why don't the brothers just lower their gazes?''. Obviously hijaab is something more serious, but still.

Muslim men should lower their gazes: Likewise, we should lessen the chances of them accidentally laying their gaze on anything forbidden. Besides, I think this seperation is more for women than men. Personally, I'm not all too fond of men hanging around perhaps looking at me while I pray, or while I do anything actually, it makes me feel uncomfortable. Really I don't see what's the big deal.

Whether it's a must or not to have a partition between the brothers and the sisters in masjids, I certainly think it's best. Why would women be against having a seperation, if not for the sake of having men look at them? Or maybe there's just something I missed out from the posts above.

The same can be said for hijaab. ''Why do we need to wear hijaab? Why don't the brothers just lower their gazes?''. Obviously hijaab is something more serious, but still.

the hijab was a law perscribed by Allah and i understand it's wisdom, and the wisdom around it does not completely revolve around men

the seperation is a innovation, nowhere did the prophet or Allah perscribe it, it was put in place because of men who could not control themselves and blamed there lack of self control on women

sis i wear hijab i where the proper Islamic clothing ,i follow all the laws that were perscribed by Allah, so i will not be shut away in the basement because there are men who have the audacity to blame their lack of control on a completly covered women

i would understand it if i did not wear hijab or dressed unislamically but i do not so if they cannot control themselves than that is their fault not mine so maybe they should put in the basement or closet lol

anyways sis it depends on what kind of partition it is, i went to a Masjid that had a wall between the opposite genders (to their sides) but the front was open and we could both see the imam and ask him questions ,that was nice

peace

anyways sis it depends on what kind of partition it is, i went to a Masjid that had a wall between the opposite genders (to their sides) but the front was open and we could both see the imam and ask him questions ,that was nice

Yes sis, I think that kind of partition is good.

Your information is wrong, unless you are speaking of someone else other than Omar Bin Al Khattab raa (the second Calif).

Yes it is, :sl: for correcting me. I got confused.

This is more of the correct version:

Hazrat Umar did not like his wife Aatika’s visit to the Masjids. Aatika knew it but continued praying in the Masjid saying, If you want to keep me from going to the Masjid I shall forsake it only if you forbid in clear cut words. Hazrat Umar never forbade her as the Prophet (Pbuh) had said: Do not bar the bondswomen of Allah from visiting the Masjids (for prayers) though their homes are better for them. (Abu Dawood, Ahmad) If your women ask your permission to come to Masjids at night (for Maghrib and Isha), then let them come. (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmizi, Nasai)

Hazrat Umar could not forbid her but he thought of another way of making her understand. One early morning when Aatika was going to the Masjid, he threw a pebble on her from a dark corner. Aatika became scared thinking it the act of some scoundrel and abandoned going to the Masjid for prayers.

Peace

Aatika became scared thinking it the act of some scoundrel and abandoned going to the Masjid for prayers.

lol ok thats funny...but why do that.... hehe

isen't this proof that women are not required to go out with a mahram? (since His wife didnt have one when she went to the Masjid...)

isen't this proof that women are not required to go out with a mahram? (since His wife didnt have one when she went to the Masjid...)

The requirement for Mahram is not for going out .. aka shopping or masjid or parents home or work. It's comes into play when one is travelling, eg. NYC to Washighton D.C.

ok, I could have sworn that I've heard muslims say that women arent allowed to even leave the house without a mahram...