Elidicious

Atheism : Why ?

PropellerAds
creating himself ?

loooooool

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA....LO

is it really that funny....o my....

is it really that funny....o my....
C'moooooooooooooooooooon Ajmal....it's just a joke once in a blue moon....

isn't that allowed?

jokes are ok.....

But that kind of joke....i am not sure......

:sl:

Remember that there should be limits to everything, if you pass the line then you lose the touch of reality in things.

:sl:

Edited by Mahid

Go and make bad joke on the judge himself who will pass justice on you for you to be free or go to pit

So probability based on this takes you where ? :sl:

Ok. i apologize to God for laughing at IoDio's comment.

Why don't you believe in God?

Actually I m not an atheist, I m an antitheist which means I m against the idea of god because it contradicts with the idea of humanity, and because his existence render ours useless with no purpose.

2- Who/What was the first influential thing that made you not believe in God?

The first idea that made me an antitheist is freedom.

5- Aren't you afraid of the idea of not believing in God?

If you mean by this to get punished, sure and this is another reason not to believe in him.

6- If you believed in God, do you think your life would be better now?

Not necessarily there are a lot of people who believe in god but still their life sucks.

7- What do you think of people who believe in God?

Freedom is not an issue for them.

Ok. thanx

You think the other questions were useless? :sl:

Edited by Elidicious

Actually I m not an atheist, I m an antitheist which means I m against the idea of god because it contradicts with the idea of humanity
:sl: :sl: ?? Edited by Elidicious

I think possibly his point is on perspective.Why should he be put on the defensive,something like that?I hope he comes back and expands on it because I am anticipating that he has a good point to make,not that his thinking is muddled.

I've answered some similar questions in a thread called 'About Atheism' in the Refuting non-muslims section. It has yet to be approved however. I think I may have written too much in this post for your liking ^_^

1- Why don't you believe in God?
I am an Atheist because there is no religion or idea of a God or Superhuman/Supernatural being/force that I have found convincing. I do not begin one of my beliefs on faith then try and disprove that belief; rather I will look for evidence for a belief, research its criticisms and then decide if it is true or false. This was not true when I was a child and there things I had learned in the past that I would reject if they were presented to me now. I am sure there are things that I believe right now that are untrue only because I haven't had the chance to research them. What bothers me the most is that I do not notice some I assume to be true is false until I experience something that puts it into question. It is difficult to live your life if you throw everything in doubt at once.

Seems I went a bit off topic. The real question to me is; 'why should I believe in a God', or more specific to this forum, why should I believe in Allah?

2- Who/What was the first influencial thing that made you not believe in God?
To be an atheist is not like being a theist/believer. To be a theist there are a set of scriptures, ideas and/or traditions one must follow. An atheist, rather, simply means that you don't believe in any of the said theologies. Every human born is born an atheist. They may or may not be taught a theology, only at that time do they become a theist or believer of some sort. You might play on semantics and proclaim that every person is born agnostic, just as well. Though I find that to be considered an agnostic you should have the knowledge of the opposing views on the given subject and have the ability to confidantly say that there is not enough information available to make an educated decision.

That said, like in question #1, there hasn't been a significant influence to make me believe in God in the 1st place.

3- If God doesn't exist/or didn't create us--who do you think created us?
Your question here doesn't make sense to me. There is no "who" or creator. My view of life is influences by the idea of evolution, it adequately explains the origins of life. Given the progress in the sciences I am confident that more discoveries will be found to help better explain the process from inanimate/non-living materials to complex living creatures. As for space, time and physics; (as I posted in the other thread listed above)

"I don't believe largely in the big-bang theory. I've been looking into an alternative theory called the 'Cyclic Universe Theory' (Devised by Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok). This theory allows me to think of time as infinite. Meaning a great number of things, namely that there needn't have ever been a creator at all. No beginnning to the universe or space or time. I should investigate the meaning behind this more thouroughly. It is difficult to do since I still have several books on biology and the beginning of life to read through (Richard Dawkins is a great biologist. His latest, the God Delusion isn't as great as his previous works though. There are many holes and assumptions, but that's a whole other thread). It doesn't entirely forbid the idea of God, since God may have created the laws that govern the universe, or the matter contained in this one etc. God of the gaps I suppose."

4- You think God is a result of... what?
I think that the idea of God is man made. There are various way for which God could have become part of our culture. I think that in the earliest beginnings God was a means to explained the unexplainable as seen with the many Greek and Roman style Gods. One for the sun, one for water, one for fire etc. This lead to Gods having personalities, like Thor becoming angry and throwing a bolt of lightning. The monotheistic God, taking much from the polytheistic Gods, encompassed everything from morality to an explaination for the ways the world works. Of course this isn't supported with any anthropology and is an on-the-spot hypothesis. Richard Dawkins' book 'The God Delusion' states several ways for which anthropologists believe the idea of God came about and spread. When I go home I might look into it and edit my post to reflect a better answer.

Not at all. There is an arguement for believing in God called Pascal's wager. It goes something like this:

"If you believe in God and God truely exists, then you will go to heaven. If you believe and He doesn't exist, then nothing is lost. If you choose not to believe and He doesn't, again, nothing happens. However, if you choose not to believe and He does exist, you will suffer in eternal Hell!"

This arguement is flawed in the sense that the choice to believe must be true. I don't believe in God and though such a rational arguement to believe is tempting, an omnicient God would see right through my false and selfish intent and I would end up in hell regardless.

I am not afraid because the chance of there being a God at all is extremely improbable, so much so that I can confidently life my life as if such a being doesn't exist. Furthermore, God as described in the Abrahamic religions is even less likely than the most basic idea that I already reject. So no, I do not have such a fear.

Yes and no. If I had believed and went the way of God in my teenage years I do believe I might be better off in life than I am now. Mostly because religion does offer support and structure. It encourages a healthy lifestyle. I do believe in believing, if you could make sense of that. Sadly, there are those who will use religion as a tool to meet their own selfish and evil goals. They will prey on someone who believes the Qur'an is true, and take selective entries out of context to make a naive believer do his bidding; such with the terrorism. This true for both religion and patriotism. So the other side is no, because Iam very happy with my place in life right now. I am taking more care formy health than ever before thanks to a book called 'Body-for-life' by Bill Phillips. I rather my life as it is now than a life that is based on sometihng I currently think is false.

I think they are mistaken in their beliefs, but like I said before, I believe in believing. Most religious people are good people whom I think I'd like. There are always those who are too pious for my liking, like several hateful Evangelical Christians in the US who harass, ostrasize(sp?) and at time assault homosexuals. I get along with anyone who lives a peaceful life.

8- Is there any chance for you to believe in God in the future?
Any chance? Yes, of course. God cannot be disproven, but evidence can show up in support of God. Though I think it is highly unlikely, to the point that I could confidently say no right here and not think twice about it, I think there is the chance that I might one day believe in God.

I can't seem to edit my post :sl:

For the answer to question #7, where I wrote:

"There are always those who are too pious for my liking, like several hateful Evangelical Christians in the US who harass, ostrasize(sp?) and at time assault homosexuals."
It should actually read:
There are always those who are too pious for my liking, like those who will avoid many activities due to the chance of some sinful event happening(a guy touching a girl for example), or who push the limits of heresy to include the likes of Harry Potter. Also, there are those who have a twisted interpretation of the scriptures like several hateful Evangelical Christians in the US who harass, ostrasize(sp?) and at time assault homosexuals.

I don't know what happened there, I must have accidentally highlighted a portion of the text and deleted it.

To be an atheist is not like being a theist/believer. To be a theist there are a set of scriptures, ideas and/or traditions one must follow. An atheist, rather, simply means that you don't believe in any of the said theologies. Every human born is born an atheist. They may or may not be taught a theology, only at that time do they become a theist or believer of some sort. You might play on semantics and proclaim that every person is born agnostic, just as well. Though I find that to be considered an agnostic you should have the knowledge of the opposing views on the given subject and have the ability to confidantly say that there is not enough information available to make an educated decision.

every human is born atheist?why?

i would rather say every born human is a born muslim.muslim means the one who submits to God.what does the new born child do?he or she cries,laughs.he or she sleeps,wakes up.what is it doing?it is submiting to God.because it is God who has created all of this.

ask any child where God is-he or she will point towards the sky-unless you have told that there is no God.it is in the human nature to believe in God and you must know how innocent children are....

every human is born atheist?why?

i would rather say every born human is a born muslim.muslim means the one who submits to God.what does the new born child do?he or she cries,laughs.he or she sleeps,wakes up.what is it doing?it is submiting to God.because it is God who has created all of this.

ask any child where God is-he or she will point towards the sky-unless you have told that there is no God.it is in the human nature to believe in God and you must know how innocent children are....

When a baby cries or does anything else that comes naturally to it,it is doing what comes naturally to it,not submitting to anything.I challenge you to give any evidence that god created man.You can prove that he created everything as well if you want.What have you read in the Quran that gives you any certainty about god creating man?

If you dont tell a child about god,then they dont know where to point when asked.Your argument is silly in my opinion because it just shows that society conditions people to believe in these things.You describe it as some sort of childhood innocence which proves gods existence,you should know that non muslims can appreciate the innocence of their children.

A new born child knows nothing. If asked where God is, a child would ask 'who/what is God?' A child would only know to point up if the child was told that God is in the sky/heavens. If you were to tell a child that God resided in a paradise at the center of the earth, when asked where God is the child would point down. It is in a child's nature to believe what it is told. I don't agree that it is human nature to believe in God, we only believe in what we are either told to believe, or what we experience and rationalize for ourselves.

As for when the child sleeps and wakes up, those are human conditions. When the child cries it is the child's only way to communicate as it knows no words.

Thanx for your answers Ecko.

Every human born is born an atheist.
Totally agree :sl:

I think that the idea of God is man made
Sometimes i think so...:sl:

"If you believe in God and God truely exists, then you will go to heaven. If you believe and He doesn't exist, then nothing is lost. If you choose not to believe and He doesn't, again, nothing happens. However, if you choose not to believe and He does exist, you will suffer in eternal Hell!"
True....

Yes, of course. God cannot be disproven, but evidence can show up in support of God. Though I think it is highly unlikely, to the point that I could confidently say no right here and not think twice about it, I think there is the chance that I might one day believe in God.
I really liked your answer here...it was argumented quite good.

i would rather say every born human is a born muslim
no...you're wrong. You were born an atheist..because you didn't even know that there was a God.

But Parents and Life made you believe that there's a God.

It depends on the way you're raised up...

you think that every born child is muslim, no.....this is according to you.

For example, if my parents/life hand never mentioned the word "God"...., i would've never known that he exists...

When i was born i didn't know that Quran existed, but i've heard it from my parents and the other....(though i didn't choose to read it).

So...you are submitted to your choices....not to standart choices.

And just like Ecko said: "we only believe in what we are either told to believe, or what we experience and rationalize for ourselves."

Edited by Elidicious

Every human born is born an atheist.
atheism is the conscious rejection of theism , so it s really childish to say that every person is born atheist or every person is born theist , every person is born like a blank plate on which it will be written things that probably he is going to believe in without thinking , hopefully one day he will start thinking for himself and he will be able to know truth from wrong . only then he can call himself atheist or theist or antitheist.

no...you're wrong. You were born an atheist..because you didn't even know that there was a God.

But Parents and Life made you believe that there's a God.

It depends on the way you're raised up...

you think that every born child is muslim, no.....this is according to you.

For example, if my parents/life hand never mentioned the word "God"...., i would've never known that he exists...

When i was born i didn't know that Quran existed, but i've heard it from my parents and the other....(though i didn't choose to read it).

So...you are submitted to your choices....not to standart choices.

and how did you arrive to this conclusion ? do you know that neurobiology demonstrated that humans are predisposed to believe in god ?

And just like Ecko said: "we only believe in what we are either told to believe, or what we experience and rationalize for ourselves."

not true , all knowledge is not gained through experience, for example perception is inborn !

Atheism is defined as 'the state either of being without theistic beliefs, or of actively disbelieving in the existence of deities.'

Consiously rejecting God or not, if you are without theistic beliefs, you are an atheist.

Also I never mentionned knowledge; I was referring to beliefs.

I dont think she was being childish.The definition of atheist is somewhat vague.Strictly speaking you have to have rejected theology to be an atheist.But people use the term more loosely than that.Most of the muslims on this forum call me atheist.I do reject theology.I do not think I was created by god.However for me god exists but is not possible to define.

I dont understand Atheist1's point on perception being inborn.And I wish you would expand on your answer to question 1 made in your earlier post.

and how did you arrive to this conclusion ?
from my experience.....i choose to believe what i want to believe and learn what i want to learn....

do you know that neurobiology demonstrated that humans are predisposed to believe in god ?
this may be true...but not for everyone...

if you're predisposed to believe in God then why are you an atheist????? because this was your choice though you "should" choose something else.

not true , all knowledge is not gained through experience
WRONG!! a part of our knowledge is through experience, the other part is created by what we've been told....

My mom tells me not to read Quran and i blindly believe her(wether she's right or wrong)...

My father tells me God doesn't exist...it was man-made...

sometimes i think he's right...and because of him i've got this idea sometimes....

What we've been told first, influences on our thoughts...

neat topic.

1- Why don't you believe in God?(this is optional since there's another thread "if there was God" where you have listed some reasons. Maybe you could give a shorter answer here)

I don't believe in God because I don't have a reason to believe in God. Pretty straight forward I think.

2- Who/What was the first influencial thing that made you not believe in God?

I'm going to blame this on a combination of thinking, education and philosophy. At first I accepted that god existed simply due to pressure by family. When I started thinking for myself I realized there was no reason to believe in God. Then I started learning more about philosophy, knowledge etc and I came to the conclusion that many of the religious theories on the existence of god are invalid and have no logical basis. Since then I haven't found any valid theories for god's existence.

3- If God doesn't exist/or didn't create us--who do you think created us?
I do not make assumptions on who the creator is when the creator's existence itself has not been proven. It's much like trying to determine the colour of an invisible hat.

4- You think God is a result of... what?

God is a tool use to control the masses. It's a great way to keep people in line. It's existence cannot be doubted by its believers due to the insistence that faith be used to accept god's existence as opposed to logic.

Why would I be afraid of not believing in God?

This is one thing that's always seemed funny. I would probably be alot happier if I believed in God. Ignorance is bliss, it does have the benefit of providing closure.

The question is too wide. I do not think any more or less of someone that believes in a supreme being then one that doesn't. However I do take exception when someone that believes in God ignores the logical flaws in his beliefs and starts building up attributes of this God, then sets out to live the way his fabricated God has ordered him to, and also insists that other people accept or tolerate his grossly incompetent beliefs. i.e. I do not consider the religious to be particularily intelligent nor capable of making competent decisions.

8- Is there any chance for you to believe in God in the future?

This question is, whether or not there is a possibility that I will believe in God in the future. Ofcourse the possibility exists.