Islamic Forum
Elidicious

Atheism : Why ?

Atheism is defined as 'the state either of being without theistic beliefs, or of actively disbelieving in the existence of deities.'

Consciously rejecting God or not, if you are without theistic beliefs, you are an atheist.

If it comes to applying weak definitions then actually it s obvious to me that all newborn are agnostic theist and atheist .you want a proof sure here you go I will just list the definitions:

- an agnostic person view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of god(s) are unknowable by nature .

-an atheist is a being without theistic beliefs .

-a theist is a person who believe in the existence of god and the idea of god is inborn.

Also I never mentioned knowledge; I was referring to beliefs.

Since all knowledge is not gained through experience then this mean that all belief is not gained through experience, since to believe in something is to assert this thing is true.

from my experience.....i choose to believe what i want to believe and learn what i want to learn....
Sorry if i was not clear I meant the idea that all new born are atheist .
this may be true...but not for everyone...

if you're predisposed to believe in God then why are you an atheist????? because this was your choice though you "should" choose something else.

To be predisposed is to be inclined, to favor it s not to be forced .

WRONG!! a part of our knowledge is through experience, the other part is created by what we've been told....

Go to Wikipedia and type A priori and a posteriori knowledge you will comprehend.

Leicester I will explain later in more details the part 1 of my post like in 24 hours.

PropellerAds

I'd written quite the post, but it's pointless to argue semantics. We agree that a newborn child is born with a blank slate. Whether you define atheism as a consious rejection of God or simply as the lack of belief in God doesn't matter.

I do not make assumptions on who the creator is.
I don't think that's normal. You're here....and you don't think who brought you here? If not God then someone/something else...but at least you should have your own idea. :sl:

Why would I be afraid of not believing in God?
Why would you be afraid? Because there are atheists, who though they don't believe in God, they're afraid that they might be punished by the little possibility that God might exist. Some of them are only 99% that God doesn't exist....

Go to Wikipedia and type A priori and a posteriori knowledge you will comprehend.
What do i need wikipedia for when i've got my own Experience that is 100 times worthier than wiki.

Just like Duff said :"At first I accepted that god existed simply due to pressure by family."

I don't think that's normal. You're here....and you don't think who brought you here? If not God then someone/something else...but at least you should have your own idea. unsure.gif
lol, if you mean it that way then my idea is that my parents got happy at some point and nine months later I was born. That's how I'm here :sl:

Because there are atheists, who though they don't believe in God, they're afraid that they might be punished by the little possibility that God might exist

Even though you don't believe in Jesus, are you afraid that you might be punished by the little possibility that Jesus is God and not Allah? Well maybe you may plead 100% certainty here as bizzare as that is...

My position is that I would not be afraid of things that have no reason to exist. If I start becoming afraid of all the little possibilities in the world that's just plain paranoia.

What do i need wikipedia for when i've got my own Experience that is 100 times worthier than wiki.

The bit on how we obtain knowledge is very important. This is actually knowing stuff that we're talkin about. When I was young I accepted god's existence but I did not know that god existed. It's worth reading wikipedia on this on.

Just like Duff said :"At first I accepted that god existed simply due to pressure by family."

WRONG!! a part of our knowledge is through experience, the other part is created by what we've been told....

You are just mixing things up , first we are not talking about you in particular we are talking about knowledge in general , so you are asserting the idea that all our knowledge is gained through experience and to this I told you go to Wikipedia or even better use any encyclopedia you own and search about a priori and a posteriori knowledge , and then you will comprehend that all knowledge is not gained through experience but there are a priori knowledge or inborn ideas and for this many philosophers forward that the idea of god is innate which means that every person is born theist , now about you having an experience well I congratulate you but the more you learn and think the more you will have.

We agree that a newborn child is born with a blank slate.

Not quietly , here is what I have said “every person is born like a blank plate on which it will be written things that probably he is going to believe in without thinking†, I did not say that a newborn is deprived completely from knowledge actually I was just using the analogy of a blank plate to show that newborn are like a clay tablet , it s easy to write on it while the clay is wet (childhood) but when hardened (adulthood) it s very difficult to erase what was written and write again .

Hello Everyone,

Recently i've been discussing with a friend of mine(atheist) about this issue. This "Atheism" thing seems very interesting to me. I want to know more about atheists' thoughts regarding their choice.

Here are a few questions i want you to answer. :sl:

My pleasure :sl:

1- Why don't you believe in God?(this is optional since there's another thread "if there was God" where you have listed some reasons. Maybe you could give a shorter answer here)

There is no evidence that 'God' exists.

2- Who/What was the first influencial thing that made you not believe in God?

Reality.

3- If God doesn't exist/or didn't create us--who do you think created us?

The question is flawed. It is assuming that humans are 'created' and also that a 'who' performed the act. If the question is how I think mankind came to exist then the answer is a natural process built into reality that humans call 'evolution'.

4- You think God is a result of... what?

Two primary things. The first is anthropomorphization of reality. Put two eyes, a nose, and a mouth on reality and it magically becomes sentient, emotional, powerful, full of intent, etc. The second is the human desire for an infallible authority figure.

5- Aren't you afraid of the idea of not believing in God?

The idea? No. Depending on where an Atheist lives, they might be afraid of people taking revenge upon them for not believing in their 'God'.

6- If you believed in God, do you think your life would be better now?

I would be miserable sacrificing high stakes truth for high stakes delusion.

7- What do you think of people who believe in God?

I think they are delusional.

8- Is there any chance for you to believe in God in the future?

I think if supportive evidence that a 'God' exists surfaced there would be no more Atheists.

OK. nice...thanx for you answers :sl:

Nice thread Elidicious.

1- Why don't you believe in God?(this is optional since there's another thread "if there was God" where you have listed some reasons. Maybe you could give a shorter answer here)

Because i simply don't. Why do i have to believe in him when i'm not convinced of his existence?

My family. We're all atheists. Plus some parts i've read from Bible, and Quran...have never convinced me of God's existence.

I think we were created by some chemical reactions or something like this. We were created by something and not by someone...but i don't surely know what's this "something"...

Of people who need support.

Why be afraid of something that doens't Exist?

I don't know....maybe yes, maybe no. but i'm happy with my life right now....:sl:

I think it's their choice, they choose to believe in God just like i chose not to believe in him.

Yes, if there will be convinient evidences. :sl:

a part of our knowledge is through experience, the other part is created by what we've been told....

i agree with that until a pont.

I think it's their choice, they choose to believe in God just like i chose not to believe in him.
good answer. Edited by Elidicious

Peace,

It would be dishonest of me not to say so.

I managed to hold my tongue! :sl:

You should voice your thoughts on a matter that's been called into question. When a conservative dude is asked what he thinks of gays, I'd rather he say that he disapproves of homosexuality as opposed to pretending that he's liberal on the matter. Regardless of what you discuss there will always be someone who disagrees with you. Instead of picking and choosing what is allowed to be said (i.e. an oppressive state) it is better allow everything into open discussion REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH OPPOSITION THERE IS.

It would be dishonest of me not to say so.
RIght. it's ok. you said the truth.

Everyone should be free to speak his mind.

that's the only thing to understand someone for real.

[at]personality. i guess there's nothing wrong. :sl:

what could he say differently?

oops..wrong topic..

shouldn't be here :sl:

never mind.. i'm just goofing off...

1- Why do i have to believe in God.

Who said that he does exist? Only Religious book say it.

2- Myself made me not believe in God. I think that God doesn't exist. I can't believe the contrary.

3-I don't know. Does it matter?

4-A result of Religions which sometimes are un-understendable

5-Sometimes i am, sometimes i'm not. Because sometimes i say what if God really exists?

6-:sl: how do i know it?

7-Nothing

8-NO.

Actually I m not an atheist, I m an antitheist which means I m against the idea of god because it contradicts with the idea of humanity

Can you make yourself clear?

really? couldn't you goof off somewhere else but here?

i'll post wherever i want, however i want !!

i hope i made myself clear.. :sl: