Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue of Image and Drawing in Islam

:D

Dear members

This topic is where you can read about and discuss the issue of images and drawing in Islam. Discussing it elsewhere is not allowed.

Following is a cllection of fatawa on the issue, for you to read in detail. You'll notice that most fatawa consider statues to be the most prohibited, and also hand-drawing of living things. Photography, on the other hand, is permitted by many scholars, so long that it doesn't reveal any awra. One fatwa said there is nothing wrong in drawing as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified.

Let's now see what different scholars say about images and drawing.

PropellerAds

Question: Is it unlawful to draw pictures and create statues and figurines? If it is unlawful, are there any exceptions?

Answered by Shiekh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

The ruling regarding image making needs to be addressed in detail:

Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful. This is indicated by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.†[sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`ûd also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest of penalties on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers†[sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim].

Making statues of animals and people is the most unlawful aspect of image making, and it deserves the severest punishment from Allah. Drawing pictures comes second.

However, the following cases are exempted from this ruling:

1. Images used by children for playing and for learning are lawful. `Aishah said: “I used to play with dolls in front of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) with my friends …†[sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim] as these are a means for education and constructive play and are free from the danger of being venerated.

2. Photography does not come under the category of forbidden image making, since there are many differences between photographs and hand-rendered images. It is lawful because it is an act of capturing a reflection like the reflection of an image on a mirror. Most importantly, the problem of human emulation of the creative process is not as it is with painting and sculpture.

And Allah knows best.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamtoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show_detail_section.cfm?q_id=35&main_cat_id=1"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamtoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show_detail_sect...5&main_cat_id=1[/url]

Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and an Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, answers:

"Photography as a medium of communication or for the simple, innocent retention of memories without the taint of reverence/shirk does not fall under the category of forbidden Tasweer.

One finds a number of traditions from the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, condemning people who make Tasweer, which denotes painting or carving images or statues. It was closely associated with paganism or shirk. People were in the habit of carving images and statues for the sake of worship. Islam, therefore, declared Tasweer forbidden because of its close association with shirk (association of partners with Allah). One of the stated principles of usul-u-Fiqh (Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence) is that if anything directly leads to haram, it is likewise haram. In other words, Tasweer was forbidden precisely for the reason that it was a means leading to shirk.

The function of photography today does not fall under the above category. Even some of the scholars who had been once vehemently opposed to photography under the pretext that it was a form of forbidden Tasweer have later changed their position on it - as they allow even for their own pictures to be taken and published in newspapers, for videotaping lectures and for presentations; whereas in the past, they would only allow it in exceptional cases such as passports, drivers’ licenses, etc. The change in their view of photography is based on their assessment of the role of photography.

Having said this, one must add a word of caution: To take pictures of leaders and heroes and hang them on the walls may not belong to the same category of permission. This may give rise to a feeling of reverence and hero worship, which was precisely the main thrust of the prohibition of Tasweer. Therefore, one cannot make an unqualified statement to the effect that all photography is halal. It all depends on the use and function of it. If it is for educational purpose and has not been tainted with the motive of reverence and hero worship, there is nothing in the sources to prohibit it."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503545144"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503545144[/url]

Pictures

Question: As-Salamu `alaykum. Is it allowed to hang pictures on walls for the intention of decor? I know that if one puts up a picture for the purpose of worship it is considered shirk. But if I like to decorate my room with my family pictures, I don't see anything haram in it. Could you please enlighten me? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Reply:

There is nothing to prohibit hanging family pictures on the wall as long as this is far from the possibility of breeding reverence and glorification and the content of the picture itself does not reveal any `awrahs or indecency.

In his response to the question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“It is not considered haram (forbidden) to hang family pictures on the wall; however, I should urge you against hanging them on the wall directly facing you in Prayer. For by hanging them in the direction of Prayer, your thoughts will likely be distracted; furthermore, it may inadvertently give the impression that we worship pictures. It is important for us Muslims to make ourselves distinct in our religious practices from those who associate partners with Allah in their worship. So never hang such pictures in the direction of your Prayer.

Still another point to consider: Never hang pictures of leaders and heroes, past or present, on your walls, for it may inadvertently lead to feelings of extreme reverence and hero worship, and this in turn may become an avenue leading to shirk. Such things are considered as avenues leading to that which is haram, and hence considered as forbidden. It is worth remembering that this was the main rationale for prohibiting carving images and statues in the first place.

Since, however, such motives are entirely lacking in hanging family pictures, there is no reason to consider it as haram.”

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547104"]Source[/url]

islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Question

Is it haram to draw portraits or beings? What is the Islamic view on drawing?

Answer:

We’d like first to state that there is nothing wrong in drawing as long as the images do not depict nudity or other indecent representations. Also, the picture or image should not be revered or glorified. The detested pictures and images are only those, which are worshiped and revered.

Within these restrictions drawing humans, animals, natural scenes, etc. is permitted. What is prohibited is making a statue or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional).

Here, we’d like to cite for you the following Fatwa:

"One may draw pictures of people, animals, etc. as long as they don’t depict anything against Islamic guidelines. It is important to understand that Muslims don't replicate 'images' because they believe that on the Day of Judgment, they will be asked to put a soul in the 'images' they made, challenging Allah’s creation. Also, they don't replicate 'images' believing that the Angels will not enter their houses. This is based on several authentic Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him.

However, in the Arabic Language, what we call Sourah or commonly translated as 'image' can mean several things, and in the context of the prohibition, it means a statute or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional) and not a photographic picture.

Therefore, while statutes are prohibited, pictures in magazines, televisions, newspapers, books, computers, drawings, etc. are allowed. Such pictures can however be prohibited if they depict nudity or other indecent representations. But even being allowed, they should be done when necessary and not to pass time."

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503546054"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503546054[/url]

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa,

Drawing living objects - is it considered major or minor kufr?

Question: Is making pictures of (all) that which has a soul (from amongst the humans and animals) (considered) major kufr or minor kufr or is it (just) a sin?

Response: It is not (considered) major kufr, however it is considered from the major sins; for that which it contains of serious warning and the cursing of the one who makes the picture(s). Along with this, he is (considered) an accomplice to major shirk.

And with Allaah lies all success and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fatwa-online(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fataawa/creed/pictures/0010513_4.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.fatwa-online(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fataawa/creed/...s/0010513_4.htm[/url]

Islam-qa

Prohibition on drawing imaginary pictures of animate beings

Praise be to Allaah.

The focus of the prohibition on image making is images of animate beings, whether they are sculpted or drawn on walls or fabric or paper, or they are woven, and whether they are drawn with a quill or pen or made with a machine, and whether the image is of the creature as it naturally appears or whether imagination comes into play and it is made smaller or larger, or made beautiful or distorted, or the skeleton inside is shown in the picture.

The reason for the prohibition is that what is represented is animate beings, even if they are imaginary images such as those that are drawn to represent ancient peoples such as the pharaohs and commanders and soldiers during the Crusades, or images of Jesus and Mary that are placed in churches, etc. This is because of the general meaning of the texts and because of the imitation of the creation of Allaah, and because it is a means that leads to shirk.

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 1/479.

Muslim narrated that ‘Aa’ishah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came from a journey and I had hung a curtain at my door, on which were pictures of horses with wings, and he told me to take it down.

This hadeeth indicates that images of animate beings are not allowed even if they are imaginary pictures of things that do not exist in real life, because there are no horses with wings in real life.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A (www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link))

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ln=eng&d...&QR=34522&dgn=4"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?ln=eng&d...&QR=34522&dgn=4[/url]

i was wondering can people display photos if only the the top half is shown? like a family portrait? at the moment i keep all photos in albums.

I hate it that things have to be so unclear! We have one side saying it is permissible as long as it doesn't depict anything sexual or haraam in nature and another saying if you draw a picture of an animal you will be tortured in hell!!! Who wants to draw if they think there is even a 1/1000 of a chance they will be damned for it? I really wish the answer were more clear because I enjoy drawing animals and nature scenes, and I was always under the impression that as long as it isn't being glorified it is alright to draw a picture. Now though, I'm scared to draw because i'm afraid that it is sinful and I will go to hell and be go against what Allah has said. Your thoughts?

Also, if drawing is haraam then all video games must be haraam as well because they make images of living things...

peace,

I hate it that things have to be so unclear! We have one side saying it is permissible as long as it doesn't depict anything sexual or haraam in nature and another saying if you draw a picture of an animal you will be tortured in hell!!! Who wants to draw if they think there is even a 1/1000 of a chance they will be damned for it? I really wish the answer were more clear because I enjoy drawing animals and nature scenes, and I was always under the impression that as long as it isn't being glorified it is alright to draw a picture. Now though, I'm scared to draw because i'm afraid that it is sinful and I will go to hell and be go against what Allah has said. Your thoughts?

Also, if drawing is haraam then all video games must be haraam as well because they make images of living things...

peace,

It's about intention, man.

If you draw things for the pure love of drawing, not to glorify yourself or depict sexual acts, or something along those lines, there is no reason for you to be afraid to draw. I think Muslims put too much emphasis on this kind of thing, and it really puts fear in people.

Allah is Just.

Is there an Justice in torturing someone for drawing pictures for enjoyment? You know the answer to this.

I hope this gives you some peace of mind.

Assalamu Alaikum

To be safe don't draw/have pictures of animals or humans, anything else is ok.

Narrated Abu Talha:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Bukhari 4:448

Narrated 'Aisha:

I stuffed for the Prophet a pillow decorated with pictures (of animals) which looked like a Namruqa (i.e. a small cushion). He came and stood among the people with excitement apparent on his face. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! What is wrong?" He said, "What is this pillow?" I said, "I have prepared this pillow for you, so that you may recline on it." He said, "Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

Bukhari 4:47

Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan:

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."

Bukhari 3:428

At-Tirmidhi:

"On the Day of Resurrection a neck will stretch forth from Hell; it will have two eyes to see, two ears to hear, and a tongue to speak. It will say, "I have been appointed to take care of three types of people: every arrogant tyrant, every person who called on some deity other than Allaah (swt) and those who made pictures"

[at-Tirmidhi stated that this hadith was saheeh - at-Takhweef min an-Naar, p.179, See also Jaami' al-Usool, 10/518, the editor said its isnaad is hasan]

Assalamu Alaikum

someone said that video games are haram also. Is that true?

Video games can have a purpose to a teaching. Even shooting games like Americas army.. the game shows real life tactics and can be used to further understand military actions and as well to understand what it would be like to become a solder.

But of course a game cant reflect the hole truth but it is educational and fun... Can you tell me if it is haram or not?

salam,

The Qur'an after declaring a handful of things as Haraam, it states:

“And be mindful, never state any lies that comes up on your tongue unhesitatingly, that this thing is Halal and that Haraam so as to ascribe false things to Allah†- (16:116)

It is not a simple matter for men to declare something Haraam. It will tantamount to squeeze the freedom of humankind for all times, and that is why such authority is not given to anyone.

‘Say: who has forbidden the beautiful gifts of Allah, which he has produced for his servants and the things, clean and pure, (which he has provided) for sustenance? - (7:32)

But, there are the endless lists and piles of man-made books of religion declaring Haraam. They produce volumes of books commanding common people to do this and don’t do that. They restrict what is otherwise permissible and obstructs the path and makes life miserable. In their religious literature, music, art, photography, science, elegant and pleasant adornments, and their means and resources are all Haraam! Whereas Islam, bathed in the beauty of nature, teaches and educates as how to add and increase this beauty in the universe. As a result, the majority of them have become strictly converted into detesters of anything and everything worldly. To carry the argument further, aversion to the worldly things and enmity towards knowledge and wisdom resulted in the hatred of every element in the universe. Consequently, these people perceive evil and evil one in every corner of the universe. To them any thing of beauty becomes a thing of abhorrence and scorn. Every smiling face they meet with is a mirror of death, and every flower-strewn forehead, faggots and timber for the hell-fire.

wassalam

Assalamu Alaikum

someone said that video games are haram also. Is that true?

Video games can have a purpose to a teaching. Even shooting games like Americas army.. the game shows real life tactics and can be used to further understand military actions and as well to understand what it would be like to become a solder.

But of course a game cant reflect the hole truth but it is educational and fun... Can you tell me if it is haram or not?

It depends on the game actually, anyways read this:

Title:

Entertainment in Islam

Question:

How did the sahabahs engage in entertaining themselves? today we have the likes of Playstations. is that allowed for us to engage in?

Aminah bint Safar

United Kingdom

Answer:

Entertainment and fun activities can differ from generation to generation and culture to culture. It should be kept in mind that during the Prophet's era life was harsh. The region itself, due to the climate, was not very hospitable to most people's lifestyles. Keeping that into consideration one should realize that the Companions (Sahabah) had a tremendous task to perform, so their leisure time was limited. When they were able to enjoy themselves they would race horses and camels. Even the Prophet himself, being a good natured and loving husband, raced his wife on more than one occasion. Archery was also practiced as a productive physical activity much as it is practiced today. Sports, in general, was encouraged as it provided a way to keep oneself fit and healthy which was also a show of respect and appreciation of the bodies God has blessed humans with.

Narrated by 'Abdullah bin 'Umar

"Allah's Apostle ordered for a horse race; the trained horses were to run from a place called Al-Hafya' to Thaniyat Al-Wada' and the horses which were not trained were to run from Al-Thaniya to the Masjid (mosque of) Bani Zuraiq. The sub narrator added: Ibn Umar was one of those who took part in the race." -Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Number 412

Narrated Salama bin Al-Akwa

"The Prophet passed by some people of the tribe of Bani Aslam who were practicing archery. The Prophet said, "O Bani Ismail ! Practice archery as your father Isma'il was a great archer. Keep on throwing arrows and I am with Bani so-and-so." So one of the parties ceased throwing. Allah's Apostle said, "Why do you not throw?" They replied, "How should we throw while you are with them (i.e. on their side)?" On that the Prophet said, "Throw, and I am with all of you." -Sahih Bukhari Volume 4, Book 52, Number 148

Hasham reported on the authority of his father that A'isha (rta) said: 'The Prophet (sws) raced with me and I won the race. We remained in this position until I put on some flesh and then the Prophet (sws) raced with me and [this time] he won. So the prophet said: "This is my revenge." -Musnad Ahmad, No: 24164

Entertainment for the Companions was not limited to physical activity. It included things that kept the mind sharp and aware. Even humor was an important part of the Prophet's society. He is known to have had a keen sense of humor and liked to laugh and smile. Poetry was still cherished and the Companions would join poetic gatherings to hear the latest from the art. Also, according to various incidents mentioned in books such as "Qasas al Arab," Muslims were generally fond of beautiful singing. Whomever had the talent, sometimes slave girls not yet freed, were asked to sing Arab poetry.

The Companions did what was conducive to their circumstances, they were bound by their surroundings and natural environment. More importantly, their pleasures never crossed the bounds of Islamic etiquette and they never became so consumed with something as to forget their most important duty; their self dedication to the Almighty. Although much of what the Companions did can be emulated now-a-days, there is no compulsion in taking up their activities. A person has many options for leisure time. So whether you're playing the Playstation or the X-Box, reading a book or jogging, etc... as long as you do it to a healthy degree then there are no restrictions. Being consumed by any activity, sometimes to the point of addiction, is what is disallowed in Islam.

The Companions entertained themselves with plenty of physical and mental activity and allowed themselves to appreciate life. We should all partake in what life has to offer in terms of good healthy fun. Your idea of fun maybe a video game while someone else's might be venturing the world, all is well as long as you remember the Creator whom gave you the opportunity to experience the beauty of life.

One last piece of personal advice; video games confine you and commit you to little physical movement. Try to spend more time outdoors or do something more productive.

I hope I have clarified the issue.

God knows best

Ronnie Hassan

January 31, 2003

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.understanding-Islam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/related/text.asp?type=question&qid=1990"]source[/url]

Is having a picture of someone on you icon on internet forum the same as hanging the picture on the walls?

I have icons on other intrnet forums of footballers. I use them becuase it just looks better as an icon.

I know it's a stupid question, but better be save than sorry.

Is having a picture of someone on you icon on internet forum the same as hanging the picture on the walls?

I have icons on other intrnet forums of footballers. I use them becuase it just looks better as an icon.

I know it's a stupid question, but better be save than sorry.

Anyone got an answer to this?

Thank you.

:sl: Warahmatullahi wabarakatuh!

Hope you are all in good health Insha'Allah!

I was reading this post on the form on pictures [(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=7591&hl=grave"]Here[/url]]...but it was closed so i wanted to ask my questions here:

I completely understand that not to draw anything with souls and all that (stopped a long time ago) but my quesion is on the camera. Does that mean all the pictures of the Masjid al-Haram and An-Nabwi are haram because there are people there praying? And same with all the pictures of the sheiks etc? Why don't the Muslim countries stop with the pictures then if its haram? :sl: I mean theres like amodel picture thing, but then theres a picture to help convey a message like people around the kaba making tawaaf and showing a picture of that or something...? I mean all the sheikhs that study Islam - surely they know of this right? Because its kind of one of the obvious there in the Quran - but they still use images. Now I know i shouldn't follow there examples and such because they could be wrong ... but I'm so confused...I don't do photography or anything, but I do have a few photo albums lying around...Im getting rid of my pictures this present moment...but I would like to be clarified on this before I rip them up...

May Allah (SWT) guide us on the perfect path!

Wasalaam Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh!

Pictures are not haram , it is the misuse of this tool which is haram like using them for worship or unethical goals.

Assalamu alaikum, the issue of pictures is discussed in detail in the Controversial Issues Section, it is better you check it out. Here is the link:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25769"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=25769[/url]

Assalamu alaikum, umAhmad.

:j: Warahmatullahi Wabarakauh!

(Did someone move my topic? :sl: )

Thanks Aunite for the link, but it doesn't work.. :) If your talking about this one: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=7591&hl=grave"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=7591&hl=grave[/url] - then that one doesn't answer my question... :) I was thinking though - these little photo albums we have, on the day of judgement tis wll all be history - we aren't going to remember any of it, so if it bad, whats the point of doing it? Better sae than sorrry! And if the Hadith refers to these pictures as well, isn't is better to just leave it alone? But then what about pictures of food that has dead animals like shrimps, fish, meat etc etc :sl: SO CONFUSED!

Edited by Maysun

I understand that drawing living things are haram.but how about drawing comics or animation etc etc.Comics and animation are not living things.All the characters are not alive.I really need to know about this because my class got a task from our art teacher.She asked us to draw comics or cartoons.

And can you guys provide me with some proof because I think there's no hadith saying about drawing comics or animations but there's some hadith saying something similar to this.This is because I think during the age of Prophet Muhammad s.a.w People don't make comics or animations.

:sl: / Greetings

Generally sis, the opinions expressed are in favour for asking children to draw for educational and learning purposes. Maybe another brother or sister can provide an opinion with some proof...

:sl: / Greetings

:sl:

Im not sure if this question has been brought up but Im quite curious. I like drawing and designing, I design gowns and Islamic attire on my spare time, when I do this I use the imaginative figure of a person but I dont add the features is it wrong to do this as well?

:sl: for taking the time to read this

Edited by -Mina-

Bismillah i feel ashamed of asking but how about in school YOU HAVE TOO DRAW FOR A PROJECT(sorry for caps)