Islamic Forum
dot

The Issue of Image and Drawing in Islam

salaam everybody

Yesterday i went to the art gallery of NSW and saw the exibition of Islamic art, collection of Dr. Nasser Khalili, one of the biggest collections

anyway the lady was saying that 98% of the art shown was secular(non-religious), the other 2% was like Quran, other books, armour and carpets etc.

The artwork itself had animals on it and pictures of scenery and vegetation e.g flowers. Mostly the mogul art was of painting depicting humans in everyday life and even famous people. It even showed the major phrophets unveiled, inlcluding Hazrat Muhammed(SAW). i was angry in way that the representation of any phrophets in any sort of way is sinful as we do not know what they look like. Also noticed that there was a huge influence on other societies especially from china and europe.

I agree with one of the members(i am sooo sorry i don't have a name, but they would know who i am talking to) in that it is intention that matters, whether the artwork is for enjoyment or for glory

PropellerAds
:sl:

Question: Is it unlawful to draw pictures and create statues and figurines? If it is unlawful, are there any exceptions?

Answered by Shiekh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî, former professor at al-Imâm University in Riyadh

The ruling regarding image making needs to be addressed in detail:

Drawing pictures by hand of people and animals is unlawful. This is indicated by clear and unambiguous textual evidence. Ibn `Abbâs relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever makes an image in this world, he will be requested to breathe life into it on the Day of Resurrection, but he will not be able to do it.†[sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim]

Ibn Mas`ûd also relates that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) say: “The severest of penalties on the Day of Resurrection will be given to image makers†[sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim].

Making statues of animals and people is the most unlawful aspect of image making, and it deserves the severest punishment from Allah. Drawing pictures comes second.

However, the following cases are exempted from this ruling:

1. Images used by children for playing and for learning are lawful. `Aishah said: “I used to play with dolls in front of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) with my friends …†[sahîh al-Bukhârî and Sahîh Mulsim] as these are a means for education and constructive play and are free from the danger of being venerated.

2. Photography does not come under the category of forbidden image making, since there are many differences between photographs and hand-rendered images. It is lawful because it is an act of capturing a reflection like the reflection of an image on a mirror. Most importantly, the problem of human emulation of the creative process is not as it is with painting and sculpture.

And Allah knows best.

you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamtoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/show_detail_sect...p;main_cat_id=1

That is one horrible law. So if I draw a picture of a person or animal, I'm going to hell?

That is one horrible law. So if I draw a picture of a person or animal, I'm going to hell?

And because you think it is a "horrible law", it automatically is? What makes your opinion more important than what Allah decrees?

Salam.

And because you think it is a "horrible law", it automatically is? What makes your opinion more important than what Allah decrees?

Salam.

How in the world is Allah just if he punishes you for merely drawing a picture? Sounds like a dictator to me... If Allah were to be a president, the country would be totalitarian. How is that a just god?

However, in the Arabic Language, what we call Sourah or commonly translated as 'image' can mean several things, and in the context of the prohibition, it means a statute or a sculpture of a living being that has shade (depth or three dimensional) and not a photographic picture.

So, holograms are out? Check the dove on your VISA card. 3D movies?

BTW, you're going to get into a terrible tangle if you don't distinguish between 'pictures' (photographic images) and 'pictures' (paintings or other artwork). Both usages seem to be used indiscriminately here.

How in the world is Allah just if he punishes you for merely drawing a picture? Sounds like a dictator to me... If Allah were to be a president, the country would be totalitarian. How is that a just god?

You didn't answer my question. You obviously think drawing pictures is okay. What makes you right, and all of us wrong?

So, holograms are out? Check the dove on your VISA card.3 D movies?

BTW, you're going to get into a terrible tangle if you don't distinguish between 'pictures' (photographic images) and 'pictures' (paintings or other artwork). Both usages seem to be used indiscriminately here.

The point is to not make the drawings. It says nothing about being responsible for what others choose to draw.

Salam.

Really? so it's OK for Muslims to own statues?

I don't recall saying anything about any statue. Reread my post.

Salam.

You didn't answer my question. You obviously think drawing pictures is okay. What makes you right, and all of us wrong?

Salam.

Because it makes absolutely no sense!! Isn't god supposed to be a logical, just, and sensible god? So why would he even CARE for 1 SECOND about us lowly humans drawing his creations? Do you really think god in his infinite wisdom would care about such trivial things? NO!!

Then again, I'm not Muslim, so I guess I wouldn't understand why such a law even exists in Islam.

So why would he even CARE for 1 SECOND about us lowly humans drawing his creations? Do you really think god in his infinite wisdom would care about such trivial things? NO!!

I just realized this is the "Controversial Issues" section, and I don't think it'd be fair to the moderators if we bring Muslim/Non-Muslim debates in here.

Though I'd ask you to keep in mind that, as a Christian, you believe certain things about God that I don't, and vice versa. The only way to see eye-to-eye is to realize the differences first, without bias.

Salam.

Edited by Redeem

Assalamu Alaikom Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

I'm wondering what should I do. Because as you know, I am a revert to Islam, and I have always been drawing a lot. And some of the drawings were human figures and animals. I still have some of those drawings. Is it haram to keep them? Should I throw them away? What should I do?? :sl:

Wsalam.

I was about to ask the same question. I really wish to draw humorous and intellectual comics, however I have been deterred by this new found rule, that we can not draw figures. But after looking into, I wonder whether it means all drawings. A stick figure is not the same as painting a picture of a sultan; the sultan was drawn to represent the Sultan himself, his characteristics, his personality and so on. The stick figure has been drawn to convey a message, a story or a vessel of a section of that story. Same goes with game characters or cartoons. So I really think we should have a fatwah on this. I'll post most of this in the fatwah section.

Oh, and hi, I'm new :sl:

The Prophet (pbuh) did not allow drawings of himself because he did not want the Muslims to worship him Like some Christians worship the picture of Jesus, He never fobid art!! Whats the matter with drawing a picture??? nothing at all. How the hell do you think muslim doctors were able to study the human body 1400 years ago?? Remember the dark ages well Islam brought us out of the dark ages drawing helps you study objects more. How many of us have a drawing of the KAABA?? How many new MUSLIMS have a drawing of the positions of salaat? NOW if you worship those pictures that is haram. How many of us play viedo games??? those are pictures. drawing images is not haram ,worshiping images is haram. A Muslim child who is deaf is taught using images like :j: , :sl: , :sl: , :no: so if you draw cartoons of people and animals there is nothing wrong with that. And those who say it is ask them why they remember cartoons and can laugh at them but they dont worship them. they know bugs bunny they know yo sammity sam, elmer fude. SO COME ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS STOP BEING EXTREEM, DRAW PICTURES SO THAT PEOPLE CAN LEARN DONT DRAW TO SPARK ANGER OR SEXUAL FEELINGS, BUT HAPPY FEELINGS THING TO MAKE YOU THINK BE THE BEST ARTIST YOU CAN BE AS SALAAM ALAKIUM

Who knows. The issue of Facebook wasn't exactly discussed back in Muhammad's (PBUH) days. I guess if they aren't sexual then yeah.

But really, it's hard to tell what is right now. Before, Muslims refused to have their photos taken because apparently it stole your virtue or soul or something. Yet now it is accepted among the majority of Imams. Why should animations and cartoons be any different? If Allah asks me on the last day to put a soul in one of pictures, what would I do? Of course I can't put a soul in it, but really, why would I want to? I never believed it existed. Maybe some of the idol makers in Hinduism and some of the old religions did, but not me. As I said before, my view on these pictures is merely a form of literature and art.

Sorry about double posting but I don't know where to EDIT.

Anyway, I'm a very firm supporter of the ban of making statues and pictures of people to express their glory. I love the entire idea of not putting human beings into a godly status.

As salamu alaikum.

I must say that I am greatly embarassed to see "Christians" putting down another for their beliefs. How dare you to say that what Allah says is something seeming of a dictator or a totalitarian government? I am sure they can say the same about us when we refer to the Bible and God killing someone for just trying to prevent the Arc of the Covenant from hitting the floor. With your logic I guess one could say, "Well God should have just let that one slide." What about people who change the words of the Bible around and make it okay to observe nine of the ten commandments but forget the one referring to the Sabbath.

Seriously show some respect and class. You are here on gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link) by the grace of God Almighty and here where you can learn among brothers and sisters of God. Don't turn it into a junior high you're wrong I'm right battle.

Also, please stop referring to Allah as someone who does something wrong without realizing that Allah is the same God you worship. Allah can be described as the creator and judge of humankind, omnipotent, compassionate, and merciful.

Allahu akbar.

Salam.

Does this mean (I'm sorry, but so many fatwas and stuff really confuse one) that cartoon shows are haraam? And that drawing of any kind, if not for educational purposes, is haraam? Thanks in advance.

The Prophet (pbuh) did not allow drawings of himself because he did not want the Muslims to worship him Like some Christians worship the picture of Jesus, He never fobid art!! Whats the matter with drawing a picture??? nothing at all. How the hell do you think muslim doctors were able to study the human body 1400 years ago?? Remember the dark ages well Islam brought us out of the dark ages drawing helps you study objects more. How many of us have a drawing of the KAABA?? How many new MUSLIMS have a drawing of the positions of salaat? NOW if you worship those pictures that is haram. How many of us play viedo games??? those are pictures. drawing images is not haram ,worshiping images is haram. A Muslim child who is deaf is taught using images like :j: , :sl: , :sl: , :no: so if you draw cartoons of people and animals there is nothing wrong with that. And those who say it is ask them why they remember cartoons and can laugh at them but they dont worship them. they know bugs bunny they know yo sammity sam, elmer fude. SO COME ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS STOP BEING EXTREEM, DRAW PICTURES SO THAT PEOPLE CAN LEARN DONT DRAW TO SPARK ANGER OR SEXUAL FEELINGS, BUT HAPPY FEELINGS THING TO MAKE YOU THINK BE THE BEST ARTIST YOU CAN BE AS SALAAM ALAKIUM

Salamu alaykum,

i completely agree with you brother.

This is where religion loses me. How could it possibly matter to God what you draw pictures of? I'm supposed to believe that God, the creator, gave us free will and creativity and then says "well sort of, you can't draw a tiger". It makes zero logical sense in the grand scheme of things. Seriously you guys think religion should be law? Seriously? A law that says you can only draw certain pictures? Silly to me but I live free.

1st it is ok to draw picture

2nd no in Islam it is not ok to try to draw what we think God looks like

3rd you dont live free you obey laws in the land that your in, wherever you are,

No offence..I don't mean to spark up any anger, but this question has been in my head for so long, I can't seem to ignore it anymore. You see..as a kid like about seven I got really into drawing cartoons. Not cartoons really..but has anyone ever heard about manga? Anime? The Japanese style cartoons, u know? I have loved this art style so much that as I grew, I got better and better in drawing these stuff it practically has become a part of me.

At school and at home (I'm not trying to show off) people acknowledge that I can draw quite nicely, and always ask me to draw some cute pics of anime girls (who are quite covered and not showy). BTW, I wear hijab and am always covering my aurat. I wear decent and covered clothes. (Again, I'm not trying to show off). They don't look like real humans ; I mean they don't look like real humans as in Leonardo Da Vinci's art or anything. They don't exist meaning I didn't draw them based on real actual humans. I enjoy this work so much that I have so many books full of anime pics drawn by me from my childhood..to my teen years, as in now.

Recently, I have found out that drawing these pics are wrong, and are haram to boot. Naturally, I am avoiding it, and have stopped displaying my drawings, though I can't help feeling emotional, as I feel like I have lost a part of me. Forgive me for being sentimental. I will accept what Allah (S.W.T) has ordered us to do; I won't defy Him, INSYA'Allah, as I love Him. But I need to ask; is it wrong to draw such pics like this? I have read the previous posts on this section regarding drawing pics..but I have to know.

I will even provide sample pics of the drawings I have drawn, if anyone is feeling curious. This isn't for showing off, just so that I can give a clear picture of what I'm talking about. An ustaz said that drawing cartoons or pics like these are OK, as long as I don't draw pics of real humans who exist or even look like real humans. This is a trying period I'm going through..please anyone who replies could you please provide a back - up or support for your answers. What I mean is an extract from the Al - Quran, or hadith..and I ask that you don't just tell me to look at the answers to the previous posts in this section, but give me a real answer, if that is possible. That is all I request, and I thank everyone replying in advance.

What I mean is an extract from the Al - Quran, or hadith..and I ask that you don't just tell me to look at the answers to the previous posts in this section, but give me a real answer, if that is possible. That is all I request, and I thank everyone replying in advance.

:sl:

Firstly, let me say that I know what you're going through. When I was younger, I also loved to draw manga/anime and I had a collection of drawing books. Though I was a little rough, many people I met would tell me that I had talent for drawing. I KNEW at the time that it was wrong, but I was much younger and though I felt twinges of guilt, it never stopped me. It's been years since and I haven't drawn anything since high school. I think I simply outgrew that phase in my life and I know now that it was a blessing from Allah, alhamdullilah. I pray that Allah will make it equally easy for you to put this behind you.

As for your question, I found the answer on Islamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link):

Ruling on drawing animate beings

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/39806"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetIslam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/39806[/url]

What is the ruling on drawing in Islam?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Drawing is of two types:

One is drawing pictures of animate beings. It says in the Sunnah that this is forbidden. It is not permitted to draw anything that depicts animate beings, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the saheeh hadeeth: “Every image maker will be in the Fire.†And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most severely punished of people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers, those who tried to imitate the creation of Allaah.†And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and they will be told, ‘Give life to that which you have created.’â€

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who consume riba (interest, usury) and those who pay it, and he cursed the image-makers. This indicates that making images is forbidden. The scholars interpreted that as referring to images of animate beings such as animals, people and birds.

With regard to drawing inanimate objects – which is the second type of drawing – there is no sin in that, such as drawing mountains, trees, planes, cars and the like. There is nothing wrong with that, according to the scholars.

With regard to forbidden kinds of pictures, an exception is made in cases of necessity, such as drawing pictures of criminals so that they will be known and caught, or pictures for identity cards which are essential and which cannot be obtained otherwise, and other cases of necessity. If the ruler decides that producing images of criminals is necessary, because of the seriousness of their crimes and to protect the Muslims from their evil when they are known, or for other reasons, there is nothing wrong with that. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…He has explained to you in detail what is forbidden to you, except under compulsion of necessity …â€

[al-An’aam 6:119]

Wa'alaikumussalam.

Hey, thank you so much Redeem, for giving me an honest and true answer as well as understanding the position I'm in.. :sl: It's good to know that someone has had the same experience as I am having now. INSYA'Allah, I will keep trying to resist that temptation to start drawing again, and find something else that will occupy me that's not forbidden in Islam, like writing. That's my other hobby that I actually enjoy.

May Allah (S.W.T) bless you.