Islamic Forum
abdul aziz bhimani

5 Times Of Salaat

Assalamu Alaykum brothers and sisters.

a shia family member of mine challenged me to find where in the Quran muslims are obligated to pray 5 times a day.

As many will know, many Shias only pray 3 times a day as they say that the Holy Quran only obligates us to pray 3 times. But i know that is not true and i want to prove it to him.

I am currently researching through a topical index of the Quran where all topics discussed in the Holy Quran are listed along with their surah and ayat numbers.

for example:

Prayer 2:45, 9:103, 51:18, 70:22-23, 75:31, 96:10, 108:2

* be constant in 2:43, 2:83, 2:110

* beautify (adorn) yourselves for 7:31

* content 2:285-286, 3:8-9, 3:16, 3:147, 3:191-194, 17:80-81, 17:111, 23:118, 25:74, 59:10, 66:8

* day of congregation (Friday) 62:9

anyways, i would be happy if my brothers and sisters could assist me in finding undeniable evidence from the Holy Quran obligating us muslims to establish REGULAR PRAYERS 5 TIMES A DAY

p.s: i'm reffering to regular prayers/salaat/prayer and not dhikr/zikr/praise/glorify etc... i hope my brothers and sister understand what i am asking for!

i will keep adding any evidences to this post as i come across them.

thank you for the help in daa-wah!

Assalamu alaikum and Jazaak Allah

PropellerAds

Assalamu alaykum.

You cannot win an argument with shia.

Later he will ask for names of prayers.

Just we have say we follow the quran as understood by Syeduna Ali RA and ahlul bayth.

Asalaamu-alayqum brother,

thank you for your answer.

Brother, Islam has an answer to everything, Islam is complete and that's why it's a way of life. I am aware of the fact that Allah s.w.t will guide those whom He wills and not guide those whom He wills but that is a separate issue.

Correct me if i am wrong, but I'm sure we as Muslims can support and back up whatever we practice with proof right? by proof i mean either the Quran or Sunnah!

But on the other hand if we do something in Islam which we cannot support or which has not been mentioned in the Quran or Sunnah, then it is Innovation right? Any addition that we do on our own or any changes that we humans bring into Islam is innovation thus making it haraam. So i am pretty sure there is some way to proof to non-Muslims, Buddhists and Shias alike that we pray 5 times a day as mentioned in our sources. My goal is to find out what our sources say about the 5 times prayers.

I don't think it's a matter of being Shia because i was a Shia once, a really staunch one and i used to pray only 3 times a day as many other Shias do. And i cannot thank Allah s.w.t enough for guiding me the way He did. i never though i'd be a TRUE MUSLIM and praying 5 times a day and trying to strive to become a true muslim servant and Shukhar Alhamdullillah i am submitting to the one true Allah the way He has perscribed in the Quran.

Subhan-Allah for guiding me.

Anyways, my point of saying all this is firstly that we as Muslims must be able to prove to Non Muslims (whether they be Shia or not) that Islam is THE TRUTH and that there is only ONE Islam. This proving or explaining I believe is a part of Da-waah.

And secondly, it doesn't matter if the person in front of us is a Buddhist, Hindu or Shia, we should be able to explain to them or prove to them or convince them with logic or proof why Islam is the TRUE religon.

Allah guided me and reverted me through this one person when i was Shia. Maybe we can all revert one Shia with Allah's help and guidance. May Allah help us.

Anyways to get things started off, i found something in the Holy Quran to support establishing regular prayer for FAJR. here it is:

Proof for Fajr salaat:

17:78: "Establish regular prayers - at the sun's decline till the darkness of the night, and the morning prayer and reading: for the prayer and reading in the morning carry their testimony."

The reason i have highlighted the words REGULAR PRAYERS and MORNING is because above is clear, undeniable proof that Allah obligates us to pray at that time. There are many

***Continuation of above post***

The reason i have highlighted the words REGULAR PRAYERS and MORNING is because the above is clear, undeniable proof that Allah obligates us to pray at that time. No doubt there are many other quotes from the Holy Quran which state that one should praise/glorify Allah in the morning but i find the words "establish regular prayer" much stronger while trying to explain to a non muslim that we must pray 5 FARZ prayers a day.

i hope the above wasnt too confusing and that we are able to carry on compiling proof here for the above mentioned purpose. if a brother or sister feels i am wrong, please do correct me. I myself am trying to become a stronger, more informed Muslim as is everyone else here.

May Allah increase us in our knowledge.

Jazak Allah :sl:

Assalamu alaykum

We have to follow Rasulullah SAS on whom nuzool of quran took place. So quran was best understood by Rasulullah SAS, he practiced it and sahabh Radiallahum ajmayeen followed that, and we follow Rasulullah SAS and the khulafa and the sahabah.

Assalamu aliakum!

The details of salah are in the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammed, Peace and blessings be upon him.

For those who argue that the Qur'an is sufficient without the Sunnah, they are making a contradiction. Do they not know that in the Qur'an itself, we are ordered to follow the Prophet Muhammed, Peace and blessings be upon him?

Wa ateeu Allah wa ateeu alrasool

Obey Allah taala and Obey the Messenger... (can someone quote this verse or other similar for me?)

IF that is not convincing enough, then what is? It is Allah taala who has ordered us in the Qur'an to follow His messenger!

The Qur'an and Sunnah go together and complete one another. The sunnah has more detailed information and the Qur'an is more general.

Peace!

Asallaamu Alaykum brothers and sisters.

I totally agree with the reply above this about following the Sunnah. Yes i believe and totally agree to the fact that the Holy Quran and Sunnah go hand in hand. Although i haven't gone through many of our Prophet's (S.A.W) ahadith, i am pretty sure that praying 5 times a day has been specifically mentioned in there.

But here is the problem i face when trying to convince a non-Muslim. Many of them reject the Ahadith citing that fact that they may not be credible, or might be weak etc etc..

Anyways, my goal here is to proof to my shia brother that we ARE supposed to pray 5 times a day and i want to try not to use the Ahadith. why? because he does not believe in them. But he does believe in the Quran. THUS, i want to prove to him using the source he staunchly believes in which is the QURAN.

don't get me wrong, i myself do believe the Quran and Sunnah are supposed to compliment each other etc...

I hope you all realize how i want to approach this situation and why. Reason being, if i think to myself, "there is no use reverting a shia" for whatever reason or "you can't win an argument with a Shia", then my mission ends right there!!! get it? Or if i just tell my Shia brother, "just FOLLOW the Holy Quran and Sunnah", it's not good enough to get that person to start thinking about the TRUTH! It's not convincing enough.

I hope this clarifies why i started this post.

Jazak Allah brothers and sisters.

Assalamu alaikum

Once again brothers and sisters, forgive me if i am wrong and do help me correct myself. If you feel there is a better way to answer my Shia brother, please suggest to your heart's desire and let us learn in the process.

May Allah increase us in knowledge, InshAllah.

Assalamu alaikum

Asalaamu-Alaykum brothers and sisters,

as far as the quote from the Holy Quran mentioned in one of my above posts is concerned, it might not necessarily be referring to Fajr Salaat. just making that clear because after reading 3 different translators' interpretation of the above mentioned verse, they all seem to be slightly different. just pointing that out as so as not to confuse or mislead anybody.

Assalamu alaikum

:sl:

Brother, do not argue with anyone who rejects the sunnah.

We do our prayers like our beloved prophet :j: did and explained to us. The Quran did not detail how many times we should pray, how many sajda, rokoo, sujoud, what we say in prayers in different positions, or the steps and procedures of prayers. Allah :sl: left that to prophet Muhammad :D to explain to us in his sunnah. That's why someone who does not follow the sunnah is someone who is not a complete Muslim. In that case, you can discuss it with him like you do when you discuss Islam with a non-Muslim.

:no:

Assalamu alaykum

Mu'adh said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, sent me and said, 'You are going to a people who have a Book. Call on them to testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. If they obey you in respect of that, then tell them that Allah has made the five prayers obligatory for them every day. If they obey you in respect of that, inform them that Allah has made it obligatory for zakat to be taken from their wealthy and given to their poor. If they obey you in respect of that, beware of taking the things people value highly and beware of the supplication of the wronged man. There is no screen between him and Allah.'"

Abu Umama Sudayy ibn 'Ajlan al-Bahili said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, speaking in the Hajj of Farewell. He said, 'Fear Allah, pray your five prayers, fast your month, pay the zakat on your property and obey your amirs and you will enter the Garden of your Lord."

Abu Hurayra reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Five prayers, and Jumu'a to Jumu'a, and Ramadan to Ramadan are expiation for everything between them if major wrong actions are avoided."

Jabir reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "The metaphor of the five prayers is that of an sizeable flowing river at the door of one of you in which he washes five times every day."

Abu Hurayra said, "I heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, 'What do you think would happen if there was a river by someone's door in which he washed five times every day? Do you think that any dirt would remain on him?' They said, 'Not a scrap of dirt would remain on him.' He said, 'That is a metaphor of the five prayers by which Allah wipes out wrong actions.'"

Mu'adh said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, sent me to Yemen and said, 'You are going to a people who have a Book. When you come to them, call on them to testify that there is no god but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. If they obey you in respect of that, then tell them that Allah has made the five prayers obligatory for them every night and day. If they obey you in respect of that, inform them that Allah has made it obligatory for zakat to be taken from their property and given to their poor. If they obey you in respect of that, beware of the things on which people place great value and beware of the supplication of the wronged. There is no screen between him and Allah.'"

the more the better it wont hurt you

aselamu aleykum

Asalaamu Aleyqum brothers and sisters.

thank you very much brothers for your replies. I know my reply is pretty late and i apologize for that.

anyways brothers, Jazak Allah for taking out the time to write and help me out. this thread has been insightful. May Allah bless you all and answer your good prayers in this month of Ramadan and the rest of the year.

Assalamu alaikum.

Peace

Dawn Salat 11:114 & 24:58

Noon Salat 17:78

Afternoon Salat 2:238

Sunset Prayer 11:114

Night Salat 24:58

Juma Salat 62:9

There will be many that will argue the number of prayers, let them. I suggest you check Quran alone and do what you feel to be correct. I do 5 by virtue of the above and I know many who do 3 using the same verses. Search your heart and ask God for His guidance.

As another point that may interest you; the function of salat was instituted by Abraham and was in existance at the time of the Prophet. When you are checking out the salat look for this detail as well; a good starting point would be 14:40.

May God guide you.

Peace

Assalamu Alaykum brothers and sisters.

a shia family member of mine challenged me to find where in the Quran muslims are obligated to pray 5 times a day.

As many will know, many Shias only pray 3 times a day as they say that the Holy Quran only obligates us to pray 3 times. But i know that is not true and i want to prove it to him.

I am currently researching through a topical index of the Quran where all topics discussed in the Holy Quran are listed along with their surah and ayat numbers.

for example:

Prayer 2:45, 9:103, 51:18, 70:22-23, 75:31, 96:10, 108:2

* be constant in 2:43, 2:83, 2:110

* beautify (adorn) yourselves for 7:31

* content 2:285-286, 3:8-9, 3:16, 3:147, 3:191-194, 17:80-81, 17:111, 23:118, 25:74, 59:10, 66:8

* day of congregation (Friday) 62:9

anyways, i would be happy if my brothers and sisters could assist me in finding undeniable evidence from the Holy Quran obligating us muslims to establish REGULAR PRAYERS 5 TIMES A DAY

p.s: i'm reffering to regular prayers/salaat/prayer and not dhikr/zikr/praise/glorify etc... i hope my brothers and sister understand what i am asking for!

i will keep adding any evidences to this post as i come across them.

thank you for the help in daa-wah!

Assalamu alaikum and Jazaak Allah

Assalamu alaikum

dear abdul aziz bhimani

i have found while reading mohsin khan's translation of surah TAHA verse 130 (20-130)

its translation is as follows

20-130. So bear patiently (O Muhammad SAW) what they say, and glorify the praises of your Lord before the rising of the sun, and before its setting, and during some of the hours of the night, and at the sides of the day (an indication for the five compulsory congregational prayers), that you may become pleased with the reward which Allâh shall give you.

pl note the highlighted part of this verse

and its arabic version is

ÃóÇÕúÈöÑú Úóáóì ãóÇ íóÞõæáõæäó æóÓóÈøöÃú ÈöÃóãúÃö ÑóÈøößó ÞóÈúáó ØõáõæÚö ÇáÔøóãúÓö æóÞóÈúáó ÛõÑõæÈöåóÇ æóãöäú ÂóäóÇÃö Çááøóíúáö ÃóÓóÈøöÃú æóÃóØúÑóÇÃó ÇáäøóåóÇÑö áóÚóáøóßó ÊóÑúÖóì ﴿[using large font size is not allowed]20:130

its transliteration is as follows

20-130. Faisbir AAala ma yaqooloona wasabbih bihamdi rabbika qabla tulooAAi alshshamsi waqabla ghuroobiha wamin ana-i allayli fasabbih waatrafa alnnahari laAAallaka tarda

[using large font size is not allowed]

now pl note the following

... qabla tulooAAi alshshamsi waqabla ghuroobiha....[using large font size is not allowed] - translated as before the rising of the sun, and before its setting

i think you will not have problem with this , this is fajr and asr prayers

now take the next part of this ayah

....wamin ana-i allayli ....[using large font size is not allowed]

translated as during some of the hours of the night

so this is isha

now the remaining part is

.....waatrafa alnnahari .....[using large font size is not allowed] translted as at the sides of the day [using large font size is not allowed]

so , you can apply logic here , there are four sides of a day

1 at sun rise - fajr

2 at noon - zuhar

3 when sun starts to set - asr

4 sun sets - magrib

and you know isha was already mention in this ayah

pl correct me if i am wrong

with regards

Mushtaq

As-salamu Aleykum, brothers and sisters!

I don't want to sound off topic, but are Shias considered to be non-Muslims?If yes, then why?

Because as far as I know if a person who recites Shahadaah that comes deep from the heart is Muslim.

Wassalam.

assalamu'alaikum

the laymen are Muslim, but those who teach the deviant teachings are most probably out of Islam or at least they did something that is kufr. It depends on his heart and knowledge. Maybe the word mubtadi is better, but I would call those who introduces an innovation mubtaadi but a layman who is a regular person I would not call mubtaadi. It depends on the situation. If I see a Muslim doing innovation then I don't call him mubtaadi even though the action is Bid'ah. An act of innovation or deviance does not necessarily make a person a deviant or innovator. He might be ignorant of the Sunnah of the Prophet.

As-salamu Aleykum, brothers and sisters!

I don't want to sound off topic, but are Shias considered to be non-Muslims?If yes, then why?

Because as far as I know if a person who recites Shahadaah that comes deep from the heart is Muslim.

Wassalam.

not only shia , dear brother , but whoever claims the authority of a part of sect goes out of Islam

Mushtaq