Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ummammaar

Lady bug/beetles

:D

I just killed a lady bug/beetle (I think I killed it, not sure.) But now I feel very guilty because I am not sure if it's ok to kill them, if they are harmful or not. To add to that they are so pretty. I did it thinking it's an insect,hence, dirty and harmful. Anyone know?

PropellerAds

It's ok to killed those insects that posed a danger to our lives brother. But leave those that are harmless alone. They deserve to live just like we are and should be respected. Killed those that are harmful in a merciful way. Never never let them half dead or play with it like we do with toys, that is evil.

I personally am against using insecticide against bugs or insects. It actually paralysed them and killed them a slow death which in my opinion is evil and not Islamic. When we killed them it should be swift and fast just like slaughtering animals for food. Ensuring that the knife is sharp and do the job quickly is a requirement according to our beloved s.a.w. :D

^^totally agree with you. You should only kill those insects which pose a threat, leave the innocent ones alone. Personally, i feel horrible if i kill an insect, even if its by accident. :D

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner! Thank you very much for your question, which reflects a true search for knowledge and a desire to live according to the laws of Islam. May Allah increase you in knowledge and grant you success in this world and in the afterlife.

In the first place we would like to make it clear that killing harmful insects is Islamically permissible, even recommended, to avoid the harm they do. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) declared it permissible to kill such insects even in Al-Haram (the Holy Masjid) of Makkah where hunting is originally impermissible.

Here, we would like to cite for you the fatwa issued by Sheikh Muhammad Saleh Al-Munnajid, a prominent Saudi scholar and lecturer:

"Harmful insects may be killed with insecticides [or other means, but not by fire]. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘There are five pests that may be killed whether one is in ihram (state of consecration) or not: rats, scorpions, crows, kites [a hawk-like bird], and mad dogs.’ (Reported by Muslim). Another report adds a sixth, snakes. Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told us that they are harmful pests, and that they are unlike other animals which do not do harm, and so he told us to kill them whether we are in ihram or not. If other creatures such as ants, ####roaches or dung-beetles cause harm, they may also be killed with insecticides [or other means, but not by fire]."

Excerpted, with slight "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.ibplanet(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]modifications[/url], from: Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Also, in the Kuwaiti Encyclopedia of Islamic Jurisprudence, we read:

"Generally speaking, it is recommended to kill every harmful insects and crawling thing [the Arabic word hasharat includes both insects and arachnids], like scorpions, lice, mosquitoes, or fleas.

The Malikis hold the view that it is only permissible to kill such insects because of the Hadith in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) was asked about insects and he said: ‘Whatever causes you harm, you can harm it before it harms you.’

The Hanbalis say that it is recommended to kill whatever insects [and crawling things] are harmful. According to them, it is recommended to kill lice, mosquitoes, fleas, flies and the like. As for the non-harmful insects, some say that it is disliked to kill them, while some others say it is forbidden to kill them.

As for killing ants, it is disliked to kill them unless they are really harmful, in which case it becomes permissible to kill them."

Based on the above, if these insects are really harmful, then there is nothing wrong in killing them.

May Allah guide you to the best of deeds in this world and in the afterlife! Ameen!

Allah Almighty knows best.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=102959"]Source[/url]

I don't think its permissable to kill an insect if they're not causing any harm to you...

I don't think they're harmful. Some are...such as the Squash ladybug or the Mexican Bean ladybug because they destroy crops, but all the others aren't.

I dont think that lady bugs/beetles are harmful or pose much of a threat. I dont think that it is right to kill anything unecesarily, whether its ants or roaches. Seeing as your worried about having killed the bug, and possible feeling guilty, just repent and dont do it again. I dunno works for me.:D

Ladybirds/bugs are very useful in the garden - they eat aphids.

Salams

Just a little story: I know someone who used to eat them as a child, they thought they were sweets.

But to answer your question ummammar, i dont think they are harmful to humans so no don't kill the litl fella's.

Wa'alaikumu salam

:D May Allah forgive me, and increase us in the knowledge, understanding and practice of the deen, ameen.

Ladybirds arent harmful but some1 told me the orangey yellow one's are poisonous 

I'm not sure how true that is. I do know that within the past 5-6yrs the United States has been invaded by "Asian Lady Bugs" which are the orangey yellow ones you're talking about. These punks are lady bug imposters and bite people...although I have never been bitten even though they're all around and can come in swarms. I don't know how poisonous they are but word has it that the bites sting and i've heard young men go "owwwww" when they bite...so it's definitely noticeable.

Allahu alam :P

AS

Salaams everyone,

I had a similar argument with my friend in college--can you kill flies, bugs, etc. My point of view was there are four types of animals:

1. Wild animals--i like them. They have good survival instinct and should only be killed if you are hunting them for food (sometimes for fun, but this sounds bad). their meat is gamey and interesting, but not sure if it is halal...like deer or wild turkey or rabbit.

2. Pets--they can be so cute. I love dogs...not sure about cats. They are fun companions to have when you are feeling down or when you dont feel like being chatty with friends.

3. Farm raised animals--I love them sooo much, but only for their meat :D :D The only reason for chickens, goats, cattle to live is to be meat sources. I laugh when people talk of animal rights--the only thing these animals deserve is halal slaughter...LOL.

4. Non-food animals--like bugs, roaches and all that. I dont care for these. If they come in my way, i dont see why they should not be killed or whatever. I dont know why that is a big deal!

Ashley S.

im feel very inferior among u guys.... may Allah help me adn give me Taufiq to avoid sinful manner even kill a small bug

Just sincerely seek Allah's forgiveness, and don't repeat things. No one is free from sins even when avoided, Allahu alam.