Islamic Forum
Tash

Doritos/cheetos Are Haram!

This is a quote from an email i got from my Islamic older brother Zaid.

i called frito lay myself and they told me the cheese has enzymes

made from animal products. i asked them to do an ingredient change and

she will forward my request to marketing. sad sad world :sl:

here's the forward i received:

Dear Friends:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this weekend my little

niece, Haniya, told me that her friends had called Frito-Lay and found out

that Doritos have pork in them. Well, I was shocked and a little

skeptical. However, when I called the company, they confirmed that

their cheese products were not halal -- they actually used the term

'halal', which I found impressive even though the disclosure was

disconcerting. She said they use enzymes in making the cheese for

their cheetos and doritos that come from pork. I asked when they

started doing this, and she said the last 2 years they became aware

of it. I wanted to start a petition requesting them to find

alternatives, but she said it would be best for individuals to call,

because each call is registered. So, if you are going to miss

cheetos and doritos as much as I am, please call Frito-Lay at

1-800-352-4477, Monday - Friday, 9:00am-4:30pm. Also, pass on this info. to

whomever you know.

Assalamu 'Alaikum,

Please see the VERY important email below in regards to Frito Lay- particularly the cheese products such as Dorritos & Cheetos. Several people have called Frito Lay directly to confirm if this information is correct or not. Here is what many people were told by their representatives:

Apparently, the enzyme that is used to produce the cheese flavor we all love could be from either a pig or a cow. Therefore, the company recommends to pork avoiding consumers not to eat any of their "cheese" products. However, the enzyme is a by-product of pork, which is used in Dorritos & Cheetos.

I'm saddened :sl:. i loved Cheetos.

PropellerAds

Assalamu Alaikum, This is what I heard last week from one of my friend. The enzyme they use in Cheese is Pepsin, which is derived from the pig.

InshaAllah we'll find other alternative, and will survive without Doritos and Cheetos, lol.

umAhmad.

I'm glad Lays 'tater chips is not on the list. At least, I hope not. My sister will be heartbroken to find out hot cheetos is now a no-no for her, hehe.

Salam.

:sl:

:sl: I love Doritos. Lol...ah well, will have to do without. OmG eww astaghfirullah...*Goes and brushes teeth ten times*.

Assalamualaikum

thanks 4 the info.

Those florescent red Hot Cheetos are soooo unnatural and gross, even without the pork. :sl:

Everything that's nice.. is haram :/ But, I guess that makes the reward for giving up these things bigger right? That's how I like to think about it anyway.

Mehmet

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ooooooooo

KSA? what is that? And i'm sure how alot of countries/organizations/etc aren't aware of this. the staff didn't even become aware of them using pork until two years ago. Its dumb how they don't put that in the ingredients.

Everything that's nice.. is haram :/ But, I guess that makes the reward for giving up these things bigger right? That's how I like to think about it anyway.

Mehmet

I guess you put it that way, everyone loves cheetos and doritos especially my sis. She's in love with hot cheetos, she went nuts when i read the email. lol.

Assalamualaikum..There were rumours going around for while that it's haraam..

like at parties or whatever .. someone would always say it's haraam..

but atleast it's confirmed now.

I have to break the news to my nephew :sl:

Edited by passerby

Crips are bad for you :sl: Why not having something healthy like fruit.

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Well alot of Islamic countries have haram products like Pakistan, which takes in Pepsi. The employees themselves didn't know until years ago, so i doubt the country knows itself.

Assalamu Alaikum, There's nothing wrong with Pepsi as far as I know neither with Coke, drinking too much of it is not good but as far as being Haram, there is no Haram ingredient in there that we are aware of.

umAhmad.

umm... actually yeah there r some ice creams u can't eat lol .. :sl:

I'm sure we will all survive without cheetos.

sorry double post

Edited by passerby

WHATS NEXT???

IS ICE CREAM HARAAM TOO OR WATER??????

in Türkiye i dont eat the certain products although i love ice-cream. algida, for example. it contains E471 and its origin is blur. E322, soy lecithin is safe but im not sure on E471.

i dont eat many chocolates either cuz of the same reason.

in Türkiye i dont eat the certain products although i love ice-cream. algida, for example. it contains E471 and its origin is blur. E322, soy lecithin is safe but im not sure on E471.

i dont eat many chocolates either cuz of the same reason.

Doritos 'tangy cheese' flavour was labeled as 'not suitable for vegetarians' for as long as I can remember, as it contained 'animal rennet'.

khayr theres always going to be stores trying to imitate popular food brands...almost always without the haraam ingredients.

Even your cheese could be haram.. make sure it has "suitable for vegetarians" on it. Otherwise it's possible it has animal rennet.

Mehmet

Assalamu Alaikum, There's nothing wrong with Pepsi as far as I know neither with Coke, drinking too much of it is not good but as far as being Haram, there is no Haram ingredient in there that we are aware of.

umAhmad.

Actually i remember my friend telling me something about Pepsi/Coke and pork in the same sentence. I'll have to ask him for the website to confirm it. But i also heard they support israel and they use it for weapons and stuff so that means we're killing muslims by buying it.

Salaam,

but you type on a computer made in the US, with US taxes (spent on US foreign policy) levied on its various component parts. Most likely running Windows or Mac OS (adverts on this site sponsored by google who will also be taxed US$...)

Boycotts have to be realistic to work.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Peace to all, This Topic is about Doritos/Cheetos, so please keep to it, if you want to discuss any other product or issue please start a seperate Thread, Thanks.

Here is an update from Fritolays. From my conversation, they have'nt made any changes since June 2006, so this is the latest update.

Take care umAhmad.

Products Containing Animal Related Ingredients

Last updated June 9, 2006

BAKED! LAY’S® KC MASTERPIECE® BBQ Flavored Potato Crisps (chicken)

BAKEN-ETS® (all varieties) (pork)

CHEETOS® Bacon Cheddar on Cheese Flavored Crackers (pork)

DORITOS® Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips (chicken)

GAMESA® Arcoiris Marshmallow Cookies (pork)

GAMESA® Lonchera Assorted Cookies (pork)

GAMESA® Mamut Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies (pork)

GAMESA® Mini Mamut Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies (pork)

Maui Style Onion Flavored Potato Chips (pork)

O'KEELY'S® Cheddar & Bacon Potato Skins Flavored Potato Crisps (pork)

RUSTLER’S™ Beef Jerky (beef)

RUSTLER’S™ Spicy Beef Stick (beef & pork)

SANTITAS® Botaneros Salsa Verde Flavored Tortilla Chips (chicken)

SUNCHIPS® French Onion Flavored Multigrain Snacks (beef)

All Frito-Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito-Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs toll-free at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetfritolay(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fl/flstore/cgi-bin/ProdDetEv_Cat_306_SubCat_35185_NavRoot_361689_ProdID_359896.tm"]SOURCE:[/url]

Salaams are the doritos sold in other countries the same as in australia because we havent got some of the flavours other posters have mentioned and our adverts on tv are aussie ones :sl:

i dont know if you have coon cheese where you live but the cheese coon makes is halal