Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alameen

Distinction In Atheism

...There's a solid line dividing the atheists into two groups. Those that do not believe in God, and those that believe God does not exist...

Anyone care to enlighten me with this distinction?

PropellerAds

"Those that do not believe in God" <-- Take God as a joke. Or an entity not to be taken seriously.

"those that believe God does not exist..." <--- Completely ignore God's existence..

My two cents.

Sorry for the sidetrack, but this forum offers the choice of self-descriptors betweem "Atheist" and "Non-religion". What is the distinction supposed to be?

I think the first stance - "Those that do not believe in God" - actually refers to agnosticism. Agnosticism is not believing in any particular God but at the same time not discounting the possibility that a God/other supernatural entity exists.

The second stance refers to atheism, the idea that there is no God at all.

Agnosticism is harder-line than that. It is saying that one doesn not know whether or not gods exist. And you can assume that many agnostics believe that it is not possible to know whether or not gods exist.

An atheist might be someone who actively does not believe in any gods but also might be someone who has decided that it is best to live as though they don't, leaving aside the question of whther or not they exist.

Agnosticism is harder-line than that. It is saying that one doesn not know whether or not gods exist. And you can assume that many agnostics believe that it is not possible to know whether or not gods exist.

An atheist might be someone who actively does not believe in any gods but also might be someone who has decided that it is best to live as though they don't, leaving aside the question of whther or not they exist.

That's exactly the definition of Agnosticism that I gave - not knowing either way. Also, I don't think you'll find many (if any) atheists that ignore the question of whether or not God exists.

Initially atheism was a fine term to be used by itself since it was understood to be "lack of a belief in god". Over time this became mixed up with beliving that god does not exist and as that was true in the case of some atheists we had to divide the area.

The split is between weak atheism and strong atheism.

Weak atheism remains at disbelief in god and nothing more. The reason being simply that there is no logical reason to believe in God. This is the area I fall into.

Strong atheism is the additional step of actively believing god does not exist. There is no logical reason to believe that god in general does not exist. These group of people I simply don't understand.

The significance of this tends to fly over most peoples heads.

Also to note two sub-categories. Some Strong Atheists are also anti-theists (no limited to) as well as some atheists are also nihilists (like myself).

Gets more fun when you go into details :sl:

Salaam,

Dawkins would be a good example of a strong atheist. He doesn't believe in God AND thinks that religious belief is bad. To me a weak atheist is a person who is 99.9999999% sure God doesn't exist, but isn't too bothered about 'converting' anyone else to their belief. Treat them in the same way we treat religious fundamentalists and moderates...

Peace and Love,

DARLA

To me a weak atheist is a person who is 99.9999999% sure God doesn't exist
Then your belief about this is simply wrong and as a weak atheist I can tell you that much. I do not believe god does not exist, How on earth could I be sure that god doesn't exist when I don't believe that god does not exist. Do you not see the contradiction here? Or are you choosing to ignore the entire group of people I mentioned within the atheists?