Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ahsan

Diabetics Cured By Stem-cell Treatment

Diabetics using stem-cell therapy have been able to stop taking insulin injections for the first time, after their bodies started to produce the hormone naturally again.

In a breakthrough trial, 15 young patients with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes were given drugs to suppress their immune systems followed by transfusions of stem cells drawn from their own blood.

The results show that insulin-dependent diabetics can be freed from reliance on needles by an injection of their own stem cells. The therapy could signal a revolution.

Stem cells are immature, unprogrammed cells that have the ability to grow into different kinds of tissue and can be sourced from people of all ages.

Type 2 diabetes, which tends to affect people later in life, is linked to lifestyle factors such as obesity. There are almost two million type 2 diabetics in Briton, most of whom control their blood-sugar levels with pills or through diet.

Type 1 diabetes occurs when the body’s own immune system malfunctions and destroys the insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas, causing a shortage in the hormone.

By the time most patients receive a clinical diagnosis, 60 to 80 per cent of their beta cells have been wiped out. The disease progresses from this point very quickly, and can result in serious long-term complications including blindness, kidney failure, heart disease and stroke.

From The Times

April 11, 2007

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettimesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article1637528.ece"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettimesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle1637528.ece[/url]

PropellerAds

it must be costly i guess only rich class might be able to afford it

they always forget poor people , lower and middle class are also human beings :sl:

i know everything has become "BUSINESS" and"making money" in this world but atleast medicines and treatments should be free for all regardless of nationality , origin etc

Interesting..thanks for posting..diabetes runs in our family :sl:

One girl I know went to russia to have the treatment and it helped a lot, alhamdulillah.

I have type 1 diabetes too, but I don't think that I will have the treatment, at least for now. Maybe someday when it's cheaper and easier, so that I wont have to go to russia :sl: