Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
nihal ahmed

Marriage Among Cousins

Assalamalakium,

I went to my father's friend's son wedding ceremony recently. When I reached there I found out that the boy and the girl were actually cousins.

The boy's and girl's mothers were sisters.

My question is, is this kind of marriage between cousins allowed? I mean cousins are like brothers/sisters!

Is there any mention of this in the Qur'an or Hadith? I tried to find but couldn't.

Thanks

Wassalam

PropellerAds

:sl:

Its permissible !!!Ali married Fatima (Radiallahuanhum) and they were cousins.

Salaam,

It's allowed. The Prophet, sall'Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam, married his cousin.

From (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetal-sunnah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/nektar/17.htm"]The Sealed Nectar[/url] (a biography of the Prophet, sall'Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam):

Zainab bint Jahsh bin Riyab: She was from Bani Asad bin Khuzaimah and was the Messenger’s paternal cousin. She was married to Zaid bin Haritha — who was then considered son of the Prophet [sall'Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam]. However, Zaid divorced her. Allâh sent down some Qur’ânic verses with this respect:

"So when Zaid had accomplished his desire from her (i.e., divorced her), We gave her to you in marriage." [33:37]

Wassalaam.

:sl:

I don't have a hadeeth with me right now brother, but I know for sure that yes, marrying cousins is permitted in Islam wAllahu a'lam.

Insha'Allah a brother or sister can provide a hadeeth regarding this.

Salam,

Thank you for you reply Sister.

I do hope that a bro or sis will help me find about this in the Holy Qur'an or Hadith.

Wassalam and may Allah(SWT) bless us all!

Assalamu Alaikum, Muslims are allowed to marry their Cousins. In the quran it does'nt say whom the men can marry but is says very clearly who they cannot marry, so it is assumed that a man can marry anyone who is not mentioned. It would be the same for women, only we will have to change the gender.

Here is the Ayat of the Qur'an, I hope the issue will be clear to you inshaAllah. Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Surah 4: An'Nisaa (Women)

23. Prohibited to you (For marriage) are:- Your mothers, daughters, sisters; father's sisters, Mother's sisters; brother's daughters, sister's daughters; foster-mothers (Who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wives' mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in,- no prohibition if ye have not gone in;- (Those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;-

Edited by umAhmad

Assalamu Alaikum, I just wanted to add here, I am married to my First Cousin. My mom and his dad are brother and sister, Alhamdulillah, never bothered before and does'nt bother now, What Allah has made Halal for us, who are we to make it haram?

Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Edited by Um-`Eesaa