Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
idefender

Was Islam Spread By The Sword

Can u give me name of Prominent Islamic scholars who left Islam ? I can give u dozens of Jewish/ Christian personalities

That path of arguement in particular is flawed. Since we are not allowed to discuss why people would want to leave Islam - got warned about this in the past-any comments you make about how many ppl are joining Islam are meaningless.

PropellerAds

salaam;

Were they being oppressed by the Egyptians and the Persians and the Spanish and all of North Africa and France? Or were they simply in the mood for conquest? Because all too often Muslims commit their crimes in the name of their religion. They use their religion as the reasoning behind their action. In cases like this it is impossible to separate the religion from the act.

I/We answered to this questions in other thread....most probably in Pope's comments regarding Islam.

Agains i m submitting here.

Al-Salâm `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakâtuh.

The Muslims were fighting against the Romans (Byzantines) who had initiated hostilities against them. The Muslims took over territories that were controlled by the Romans and their allies. This includes the territories in North Africa.

What took place later in history between governments has nothing to do with Islam. Muslim governments at different times in history have done many bad things because they were pursuing power and were not following the teachings of Islam. They did evil acts as bad people. Their religion taught them to behave otherwise.

The same can be said about the evils committed by nations led by non-Muslims. We do not blame Christianity for Europe's colonial atrocities against the people of Africa and Asia. Their religion did not teach them to behave in that fashion.

Please read the following article online from our website that clearly discusses what Islam teaches from the texts of the Qur’ân and Sunnah:

Issues and Concerns >> Let There Be No Compulsion in Religion

by Sheikh Sâmî al-Mâjid

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamtoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/showme2.cfm?cat_id=29&sub_cat_id=607"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamtoday(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/showme2.cfm?cat_...;sub_cat_id=607[/url]

And Allah knows best.

When the Prophet (peace be upon him) entered Mecca he was the leader of the winning army and had the choice to decide the fate of Meccan people.

The people of Mecca came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) and asked him about his decision regarding their fate. He said: "Go. You are all free."

The important thing is that the Prophet (peace be upon him) left the choice to them.

It is then the people of Mecca decided to enter into Islam. Can you imagine the position of people who would easily have been killed under such circumstances and in such a time, and could have expected as much – but were instead

simply freed? Would you think they would choose something else other than a religion that forgives?

We would say even if there were some people who were not convinced completely, but still with the mass willing conversions of their brothers and sisters, friends and acquaintances all around them, they converted to Islam or simply "went with the flow", and Allah knows their individual intentions.

It worth saying that you may enter a religion just to copy others, but later on you discover how good that religion is and you would decide to open your heart and accept it truly.

Fatwâ Department Research Committee of IslamToday chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhâb al-Turayrî

salaam;

That path of arguement in particular is flawed. Since we are not allowed to discuss why people would want to leave Islam - got warned about this in the past-any comments you make about how many ppl are joining Islam are meaningless.

can u give me names of Prominent Islamic scholars who left Islam ? U don't need to explain why .

You name celebrities who converted to Islam, but demand scholars that left Islam? Celebrities change religions like they change underwear.

There are sites that list imams and scholars that have left Islam. I encourage you to find them on your own because to list any of them here would lead to a ban or suspension.

Salaam;

You name celebrities who converted to Islam, but demand scholars that left Islam? ....

ok, i m giving names of Jews & Christian Scholars and Priests who embraced Islam , does it sound fair now ?

Attn: Moderator: is it prohibited for non-Muslims to mention just names ( not the reasons ) of ex-Muslims who were prominent scholar / personalities ?

Idris Tawfiq

Profession Writer and speaker in the United Kingdom and Egypt

Subject From the Vatican to Al-Azhar - Idris Tawfiq Talks to the Youth

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/livedialogue/english/Browse.asp?hGuestID=0NmBLy"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/livedialogue/en...hGuestID=0NmBLy[/url]

What do you mean 'From Vatican to Al-Azahar'?

...I lived and studied in Rome in the Vatican as a Roman Catholic priest and that when I became Muslim I finally declared my shahadah in Al-Azhar Masjid in Cairo, the oldest university in the world. I think the title is quite catchy, don't you?

Former Christian Priests and Missionaries who have Embraced Islam

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_thetruereligion(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules/xfsection/index.php?category=1"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_thetruereligion(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules/xfsecti....php?category=1[/url]

And thou wilt find the nearest of them in affection to those who believe (to be) those who say: Lo! We are Christians.

That is because there are among them priests and monks, and because they are not proud. When they listen to that which hath been revealed unto the messenger, thou seest their eyes overflow with tears because of their recognition of the Truth.

They say: Our Lord, we believe. Inscribe us as among the witnesses

[Qur’an 5:82-83]

This collection of testimonies from former priests and missionaries should prove especially throught-provoking to our Christian readers.

Abdullah al-Faruq Formerly Kenneth L. Jenkins, minister and elder of the Pentecostal Church

Dr. Jerald F. Dirks Former minister (deacon) of the United Methodist Church. He holds a Master's degree in Divinity from Harvard University and a Doctorate in Psychology from the University of Denver. Author of The Cross and the Crescent: An Interfaith Dialogue between Christianity and Islam (ISBN 1-59008-002-5 - Amana Publications, 2001). He has published over 60 articles in the field of clinical psychology, and over 150 articles on Arabian horses

Viacheslav Polosin Former Archpriest of the Russian Orthodox Church

Anselm Tormeeda 14th century CE Majorcan priest and scholar. From his book 'The Gift to the Intelligent for Refuting the Arguments of the Christians'

Khadijah "Sue" Watson Former pastor, missionary, professor. Master's degree in Divinity admin

Ibrahim Khalil Philobus Former Egyptian Coptic priest and missionary

Female Catholic Missionary Anonymous

Martin John Mwaipopo Former Lutheran Archbishop

Raphael Narbaez, Jr. Former Jehovah's Witness Minister

George Anthony Former Catholic priest

Dr. Gary Miller Former missionary

Delegation of Priests Convert to Islam at Climax of Muslim-Christian Dialogue The remarkable outcome of a dialogue between Muslim scholars and Christian priests

Dr. M.H. Durrani Formerly Senior Chaplain at St. Mary's Church (Anglican) in Quetta, Pakistan. Doctorate in Theology (Th.D.)

Historical Biographies

Moved by the Prophetic Temperament:

Jewish Scholar Zaid ibn Su`nah Accepts Islam

The blessed Companion of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), Abdullah ibn Salaam (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that when Allah willed to guide Zaid ibn Su`nah (the great Jewish scholar of Madinah), Zaid ibn Su`nah said, "I recognized all of the signs of prophethood upon seeing the face of Muhammad save two signs that were not immediately evident: That his forbearance would precede his rashness, and that his forbearance would increase upon encountering excessive rashness." Zaid ibn Su`nah reports [the story as follows]:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235105953&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...lam%2FDIELayout[/url]

&&

As a scholar, Salman was noted for his vast knowledge and wisdom. `Ali said of him that he was like Luqman the Wise; while Ka`b al-Ahbar said, "Salman is filled with knowledge and wisdom – an ocean that does not dry up."

Salman al-Farisi's Long Search for Truth

...Salman had a knowledge of both the Christian scriptures and the Qur'an, in addition to his earlier knowledge of the Zoroastrian religion. Salman, in fact, translated parts of the Qur'an into Persian during the lifetime of the Prophet. He was thus the first person to translate the Qur'an into a foreign language.

Salman, because of the influential household in which he grew up, might easily have been a major figure in the sprawling Persian empire of his time. His search for truth however led him to renounce his comfortable and affluent life and even to suffer the indignities of slavery even before the Prophet had appeared. According to the most reliable account, he died in Ctesiphon during the caliphate of `Uthman, in the thirty-fifth year after the hegira (migration of the Muslims to Median). May Allah be well pleased with him.

The moderators on this forum do not allow what is considered anti-Islamic webites to be posted. I have found that this includes sites that are pro-another religion.

If you wish sites that list Muslim scholars that have converted to Christianity or Hinduism then either find them yourself or PM me with a way I can contact you outside of these forums. The sites are there and the number of scholars that have converted is numerous.

What this has to do with the topic I am not sure, but do not deceive yourself into thinking that such conversions are a one way street.

Yes, the "Earth is round" theory was around for quite a while before the Quran. The Greeks even came pretty close to accurately measuring it.

Peace,

Was it not the Egyptians who calculated the diameter of the earth and not the Greeks?

Peace

Peace,

Was it not the Egyptians who calculated the diameter of the earth and not the Greeks?

Peace

I don't see what's stopping them both from calculating the diameter of the earth? The Greeks just did it before the Egyptians.

Salaam/peace to all;

The moderators on this forum do not allow what is considered anti-Islamic webites to be posted.

---- I started a thread on Rise of Islam will continue. There a non-Muslim was allowed to give link . An anonymous source claimed that thousands & thousands Muslims are leaving Islam. Ok, may be. Christians Missonaries are flooding the 3rd world countries with money , job , food etc. So, some Muslims may leave Islam. But , i want to know names of prominent scholars who left Islam .There are more than hundred Imams in the holy cities of Macca & Madina ...pl. pm me if u know any single Imam left Islam.

What this has to do with the topic I am not sure, but do not deceive yourself into thinking that such conversions are a one way street.

No comment on why those Jewish & Christian scholars became Muslims ? :D

who is forcing people with sword now to embrace Islam ?

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1135167134062"] The Truth About the Spread of Islam [/url]

Name of Counsellor Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

Keep in mind the example of Egypt, where although the Copts joyfully welcomed the Muslims' entry into Egypt, they did not immediately embrace Islam.

It was only on an individual basis that the Egyptians converted to Islam. Even the Coptic man who was treated with impressive justice at the hands of Caliph `Umar (when `Umar punished the son of Egypt's ruler because the latter had unjustly lashed the Coptic man's son) did not embrace Islam (and no Muslim then ever thought to force him to do so).

Related Questions

- Religious Freedom in the Eyes of Shari`ah

- Was Islam Spread at the Point of Sword?

- Jihad: Its True Meaning and Purpose

&&&

Jews for Allah.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_jews-for-Allah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/whats-new/israeli_terrorists_judaism.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_jews-for-Allah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/whats-new/israel...sts_judaism.htm[/url]

Well, I see great contradiction in the posts here, No one is saying a word about the how Islam spread in Indonesia? It is clear that Islam spread in the south east asia through preaching and muslim merchants, so there were people on the earth who were acceptiing Islam by choice, so is the case with the Arabia, and north Africa...Or people here want to say that Islam can spread in Indonesia without sword but it spread in africa through sword, Why? If Islam can spread in Indonesia without sword than why not in Africa..

In Case of persia, They initiated the attacks at Umar RA time, and there was a famous saying by the UMAR RA, " May there will be a wall of fire between Persia and us" clearly suggesting that Umar RA was not interested in Attacking Persia but he was forced to do that by persian army..

There is a clear evidence that Islam didn't spread by sword, In 13th century, Mongols destroyed the whole Muslim Umpire,there were millions of muslims massacred throughout Iran,Arabia, Iraq and syria...It was the time when muslims, Islamic faith may disapear from the map of the world but than most amazing thing happened ...Mongols converted to Islam and within a decade the most barbaric people moved from making pyramids of skuls to Making large beautiful Masjids throught out central Asia... Now where is muslim sword in it?

yes, there was some violence, if you are talking about the empire that was on the map for 1300 years, having thousands of rulers, than who can claim that there was no agression from muslim side? there were few agressive, land loving rulers among them, but if you are talking about in general, than there are very clear evidences from history that Islam didn't spread through Sword, Most of the People converted, and are STILL converting, thinking vise versa is something very ignorant.

bar·bar·ic (bär-brk)

adj.

1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of barbarians.

2. Marked by crudeness or lack of restraint in taste, style, or manner

Killing does not make them barbaric. Ruthless? Maybe. Human? Yes. Barbaric? No.

Edited by The Real Mega

change it in your brain, lol, read it as Ruthless, infact, you know what i was trying to say when i used barbaric, and so are others , so no need to change it, Anyway, any refutation of my post except this great disscussion?

The subtleties of my point are obviously lost on you.

Everyone who is not a muslim is a mindless barbarian, until they convert. Non-muslims asked to be invaded and conquered. They welcomed the liberation. Gotcha.

I know this is not true. Why? Because humans are violent, by nature. Humans are the most violent species on this planet. There have been countless empires, yet Muslims believe they had the only one that was benevolent. Hah. There is no amount of 1000+ year old propoganda that you can show me that will change my mind.

What Islam teaches and what Muslims do are two entirely different things.

Proof of that? I follow Islam's teachings and I don't exactly hold a sword in my hand. Neither do the countless number of Muslims I've met throughout my life.

Also, if you had any idea how much most Muslims are misguided, you wouldn't be so hasty to think that we consider ourselves so righteous.

Abdullah bin Amarra relates that the Holy Prophet (SA) said "...My people will be divided into 73 sects, all of them will be in the fire except one.' The companions asked. 'Who are they O Messenger of Allah,' Holy Prophet (pbuh) said. `They are those who will be like me and my companions."

Anyway, any refutation of my post except this great disscussion?

Sure, the topic of the discussion is whether Islam was spread by the sword, not whether it was only spread by the sword. I do not see anyone claiming that Islam was only spread through violence. It cannot be denied, though, that the military conquests of Muslims did more to spread the religion than anything else. In fact, spreading the religion was the goal of many of the conquests.

Peace

Proof of that? I follow Islam's teachings and I don't exactly hold a sword in my hand. Neither do the countless number of Muslims I've met throughout my life.

That is because you and me and most other muslims have forgot Islam. We have a disease in our heart, it is love for this world and hatred of death.

If we would be truly 100% muslims we would be out fighting in chechnya, iraq, etc right now. But we don't because we are weak and we are not following Islam properly.

And to come back to the subject at hand, Islam WAS spread by the sword in many instances. I do not agree with most of those conquests, but some of them were legitimate in the sense that they removed incredibly opressive and cruel regimes that were preventing people from learning about Islam or at least having a normal , relatively free life.

Peace

Edited by anthony19832005

Peace

That is because you and me and most other muslims have forgot Islam. We have a disease in our heart, it is love for this world and hatred of death.

If we would be truly 100% muslims we would be out fighting in chechnya, iraq, etc right now. But we don't because we are weak and we are not following Islam properly.

Peace

Asalamu Alaikum,

You clearly misunderstood my post.

It is not love for this world that prevents a Muslim from killing innocent human beings. It is fear of severe repercussions in the hereafter. I have absolute belief in Jihad, but let's not confuse Jihad with random attacks against children, women, Muslims, and innocent people in general.

Secondly, I'm not suggesting that we turn deaf ears to the Muslims around the world who are suffering. You are right to an extent, it is love of this world that prevents us from helping them.

However, there is more than one way to aid them. I think that, instead of having thousands of Muslim soldiers around the world to declare Jihad against the entire non-Muslim world, it would be more beneficial to contribute money, food, and clothes to those who are suffering, especially the orphans.

To declare an unprovoked holy war against the world would never accomplish anything except death and destruction. But to defend your religion--with your words, and your actions--is Jihad.

Peace

And to come back to the subject at hand, Islam WAS spread by the sword in many instances. I do not agree with most of those conquests, but some of them were legitimate in the sense that they removed incredibly opressive and cruel regimes that were preventing people from learning about Islam or at least having a normal , relatively free life.

Peace

If following Islam properly means fightin wars that have nothing to do with you, then I hope all of you stay here and be improper muslims who complain about the world.

Besides, have any of you ever thought about how stupid that idea is, that muslims must fight on behalf of all other Muslims, until they are the masters of whatever area the dwell in? Perhaps we should start saying that, that we are invading the Middle East to come to the defence of the Christians who live there as second class citizens. We should invade egypt and set up a christian theocracy, and we should firebomb Iran to install an Archbishop instead of an Ayatollah...

C'mon people, wise up and take off the Nail-bomb Sweater-vests...

If following Islam properly means fightin wars that have nothing to do with you, then I hope all of you stay here and be improper muslims who complain about the world.

Besides, have any of you ever thought about how stupid that idea is, that muslims must fight on behalf of all other Muslims, until they are the masters of whatever area the dwell in? Perhaps we should start saying that, that we are invading the Middle East to come to the defence of the Christians who live there as second class citizens. We should invade egypt and set up a christian theocracy, and we should firebomb Iran to install an Archbishop instead of an Ayatollah...

So if a person's family is attacked, then the individual shouldn't get involved because they personally were not harmed?

Or, if New York was attacked in 9/11, then the entire U.S army shouldn't get involved (and should instead leave it to the NYPD to capture the perpetrators)?

Thirdly, what do you think will happen if the pope was attacked by a group of Muslims? Do you think the entire Christian kingdom will sit around and wait for it to blow over?

According to the west, we shouldn't defend Muslims who are being oppressed. However, when one commits heinous acts, we are all responsible for it. Yeah, that makes all the sense in the world.

I'm with anthony on this one but not in the sense of following Islam. I'm a fan of uniting all the earths countries into one giant nation. As such I find nationalism, and defending "your own ppl" simply because they are "your people" to be incredibly stupid and self centered. If I had the power, I'd probably attack several countries and do a complete take over. Simply because if they don't treat humans as well as I would, then I don't really like their system ^_^ and that alone is reason enough to attack.

Some might say "mind your own damn business". But if I found out that my neighbour was beating the crap out of his kids and his wife, I'd go over and kick his . It doesn't matter if their muslim, hindu, christian, or it is a family tradition that the father can do whatever the hell he wants.

Stemming from this example, is how I'd end up passing judgement on the judicial system of our countries and other countries and if we don't agree with it, we should do something about it. Question is, is my views on treatment of humans right? I don't know, but it's what I'd do.

At times like this I love being an athiest ^_^