Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sister_Truth

Im Teaching Esl (english As A Second Language)

:j:

So I've started working at an Islamic college, alhamdulillah.

I'm teaching ESL (English as a second language), to students who have recently migrated to Australia and do not understand English.

I also teach a literacy program to primary students who struggle with reading. Anywho...

Does anyone have some tips/hints on the best way to approach teaching English to students who mostly come from Afganistan?

Any advise would be appreciated.

:no:

:sl:

:sl:

PropellerAds

create an entirely new environment for them. As soon as they enter the classroom, from the first lessons onwards, only use english, so they learn the language in a natural way through learning how to ask questions in english. Give them english/their language dictionaries so they can build their vocabularly by converting words to use.

a very good method is to give them a list of occupations (airline pilot, teachers etc), and get them to choose a new name and an occupation, so they create a new 'character' through which they can express themselves in the classroom.

have a look an the web-site:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_teacherstv(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_teacherstv(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

for programs to give you advice, and you can see techniques in action. (there are videos made by teachers you can watch on-line.)

the best of luck sister truth, there are few occupations as rewarding as teaching. :sl:

Peace and Love. :sl:

Salam, thats some gd advice,

you would have to be REALI patient for them to learn though, becase it will take a while, a Pushto (Afghan language) speaking assistant teacher would be useful, but i doubt there would be many with avaliabilty, but if there was one in the area, or that you had a connection with, they could help...

anywayz, i speak some Pushto lol, but hmmm...i remember my Mum doing a whole decitation on ESL xD If i remember anything useful to add to that Bro's help, i'll just post it, but the quickest way for somebody to learn a new language is if they are surrounded by it, so i hope it all works out for you Sister inshAllah,

salams!