Which category of Muslim r u  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Muslim are you?

• Moderate
    • Liberal
    • Extremists
    • Other/None

As salamu Alykum,

I put this poll to know the general view of Muslim brothers and sisters here about there ideology and way of practicing Islam, about me i really dont know how to say what type of Muslim i am, I am just trying to follow Quran and Sunnah from what knowledge i get from my Shaykh and from Internet. Please give your poll and make this post useful for understanding above 4 options.

was salam.

Edited by AbulAsad

PropellerAds

please give definition for each along with the options like whom do you categorize as moderate , who can be categorized as extremist and whom can be categorized as liberal

Assalamualikum

Well, according to the west and kuffar in general........if we support jihad or mujahideen...then we are extremists...or if we follow Islam properly....but thats according to the west.

Guest amani

:sl:

i try to be moderate according to what Muhammed :sl: has said, Islam is a religion of moderation, it is not extreme in eitherway.

according to the west however i dont think im classified as moderate

i try to be moderate according to what Muhammed :sl: has said, Islam is a religion of moderation, it is not extreme in eitherway.

according to the west however i dont think im classified as moderate

Assalamualikum

yes ...according to the west .......a practicing muslim .....a sister covering herself up......or a bruv with a beard will most likely be called extreme....

but in reality we muslims are the moderate ones......we forbid evil..InshAllah and do good inshAllah

Assalamualikum

Assalamualikum

bro abulasad are those categories according to the western criteria for muslims

Assalamu alaykum

It depends what the situation demands.

In normal circumstances I am a moderate muslim, confined to myself.

Salaam,

I obviously voted 'other'. My definition of a liberal is a person who, if given the highest position in the land, is a person who has his own opinions, and holds them strongly, but would not seek to force (by legal or physical coercion) to impose them on others. He thinks the world would better a better place if people thought/acted like him, but he thinks force/coercion isn't the way to do this.

A moderate is person who adheres to a belief system but is happy to accept there are different thoughts on many things and so there will be different ways of doing things, it is therefore not for him to judge. He must be moderate in his opinions of others, this will show in his own actions.

In my view, moderates and liberals tend to go together.

Just my opinions on the definitions, as said. To save the post going OT, if you hate them, PM me or set up a new thread.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

I don't really think any Muslim should classify themselves as an ''Extremist'' or ''Liberal''. As sister amani said, the Prophet PBUH himself said that Islam is the moderate religion, so being ''extremist'' or ''liberal'' would be going out of his teachings PBUH, and I don't think a Muslim would admit to that. ''Are you considered an Extremist or a Liberal or a Moderate to people'' I think is a more accurate question :sl:.

Edited by xXxXMuslima-4-LifeXxXx

In my view, moderates and liberals tend to go together.

Yeah thats what i thought too...

Salaam,

Sister Truth, you post shows why I like Amani's reply.

"I am xyz"

"Other people would probably class me as abc"

Peace and Love,

DARLA

As salamu Alykum and Peace to All,

Thanks for puting up the your comments, my intention to start this topic was to clear the definition of above options in Poll, who you call liberal? Who you call Moderate and who is extremists?

If i wear Islamic Sunnah dress and have beared, do 5 times prayer and give extra security for my family(women) i will be called as extremist.

If i wear western clothes, clean shaved face and do my prayer but not strictly also i have no objection if my wife or sister hang around with there male friends then i will be called as Moderate.

• If i support women rights according to west like Yes to Abortion rights
  • If i support for No covering up of womens,
  • If i support WEST and there policy even it is against the rights of my brothers and there lands i will be called as liberal

Here i want to ask the OWNER of English Language that why do they change the vocabulary and meaning according to there ease?

Why only Muslims are termed as extremists, moderate and liberal?

No offence,

was salam/Peace.

I think those rules of yours should have been put up ealier i mean half of those who already voted like me lol did not exactly know what you meant.

Edited by Ajmal

I think those rules of yours should have been put up ealier i mean half of those who already voted like me lol did not exactly know what you meant.

Brother Ajmal thats what i wanted to know that what an individual think about those terms?, What i had written are not rules, its something what i understood by the terms Moderate, Extremists and liberal. If i am wrong please correct me.

was salam.

Edited by AbulAsad

I like the idea of the poll but like one of the other presenters put it, you should have put up your criteria on the very first or second post as these terms that are used fairly common are up to one's own interpretation. I put other/none for my choice by the way.

Brother Ajmal thats what i wanted to know that what an individual think about those terms?, What i had written are not rules, its something what i understood by the terms Moderate, Extremists and liberal. If i am wrong please correct me.

was salam.

Alright i see now. Na am the wrong one here..

Why only Muslims are termed as extremists, moderate and liberal?

the terms are also used in politics, and other religions than Islam.

an "extremist" athiest for example would be one that firebombed places of worship, and would beleive that all religious beleivers should be killed.

AbulAsad, it was an interesting topic, but perhaps "what do you define as an ...., and how do you rate yourself?" would have been better?

---i rate myself as an extremist muslim btw, i think my stance on women's and individual rights etc definitely puts me in the "extremist" camp as far as orthodox Islam goes... :sl:

peace and love. :sl:

the terms are also used in politics, and other religions than Islam.

an "extremist" athiest for example would be one that firebombed places of worship, and would beleive that all religious beleivers should be killed.

AbulAsad, it was an interesting topic, but perhaps "what do you define as an ...., and how do you rate yourself?" would have been better?

---i rate myself as an extremist muslim btw, i think my stance on women's and individual rights etc definitely puts me in the "extremist" camp as far as orthodox Islam goes... :sl:

Your understanding of an extremist is wrong, like you wrote for an "extremist atheist",

I define myself as an extremist muslim and i dont believe that all other religious belivers should be killed or there places of worship should be destroyed till they dont interfere in my religious beliefs.

Peace.

but todays modern definition of muslim extremist is based on one thing : beard

if you hv long beard ppl are scared and think u as extremist without even knowing yr views . y? extremist/moderate should be based on VIEWS and not BEARD

Salaam,

Slightly faceticious and highly simplistic but:

KSA is extremist Islam

Indonesia is moderate

Turks would probably class as liberal, obviously, the state is secular.

From my point of view, wearing a beard/niqaab doesn't make a person an extremist, it just indicates that they are more likely to hold extreme views than someone who doesn't wear beard/niqaab.

Different religions are also categorised, for example, Judaism see Ultra-orthodox, conservative and liberal. The reason why Jews aren't as offended by the labels is they created them themselves, Muslims didn't label themselves according to intensity belief until it was too late and it needed doing from outside (otherwise how does one distinguish between moderate on the street and OBL follower in political speeches). If ultra-orthodox young men started deliberately targeting civilians in the name of their religion then they too would quickly be labelled extremists.

I've never seen extremist used in the media to just describe a very conservative Muslim (beard/niqaab& associated views), especially one living in the West. As I have done, the word conservative would be used instead. Extremist is used to describe clerics in KSA etc because of multiple factors, not the least of which is their unwillingness to condemn terrorism and their belief that coercion is a valid way to enforce religion. And yes, someone who supported having sharia over liberal democracy in Western countries would start hitting this camp fairly quickly.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

If i wear Islamic Sunnah dress and have beared, do 5 times prayer and give extra security for my family(women) i will be called as extremist.

I don't think it is as simple as saying that if a muslim wears a head covering/has a beard, prays five times a day, and is protective over female relatives, they are automatically classified as 'extremist'.

I distinctly feel that often people just form their perceptions on what is defined as 'extreme' in the political context; however, the last time I checked Islam wasn't merely a political movement, but a way of living one's life holistically.

I suppose outwardly I would appear to be a 'strict' Muslim. However, other words have been used to describe this apparent 'conservatism'; "devout", "practicing" even "moderate".

Ultimately, if people use the word 'extremist' to define a muslim, you have to wonder what they did to gain that label. I'm not saying it is always warranted, but it is not merely about how one appears outwardly- I think you'd find many people not really caring so much about one's attire (maybe that is moreso the case in the UK).

The essence of a person's views is self-evident in the way that they deal and interact with the people around them.

Edited by emel

Peace, AbulAsad.

Your understanding of an extremist is wrong, like you wrote for an "extremist atheist",

I define myself as an extremist muslim and i dont believe that all other religious belivers should be killed or there places of worship should be destroyed till they dont interfere in my religious beliefs.

Peace.

that was why i also pointed out that i would be defined as an "extremist" muslim, because of my own beleifs, to illustrate the fluid notion of "extremism" etc. I did not mean to indicate the only meaning of "extremist" was someone who was intolerant and firebombed places. My mistake for giving that impression, my sincere apologies.

I voted moderate, even though i know if someone saw me, they would call me extemist, fundamentalist, terrorist etc etc :sl:

My opinion ---> Islam is a moderate religion, and whoever follows Allah's book and the sunnah or Rasulullah :j: is a Moderate Muslim.

Alsalamu Alikum Wa Wb

Could I vote moderate? :sl: LOL

All would Scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Brother AbulAsad, don't let him do that, he's the biggest terrorist here in Gawaher after reading his last posts". :j:

Grrr, i'll sneak and write Moderate,

Ummm, No No, extremist looks cool, who care :sl:

I did not vote by the way, lol

Masalama

Peace

I do not like it when muslims divide eachother into "camps" or "categories". This sort of labeling is in my view just another opportunity to create fitnah, division and hatred amongst muslims.

None of us have 100% identical political views with everybody else, lets just leave it at that....

Salaams