Islamic Forum
Duffman_

View On Atheists/agnostics

Just curious about the views that the non atheists have of the atheists. Agnostic atheists in particular. Just curious as to what you guys think made us the way we are, what our morals are made of, sense of responsibility, overall friendliness or lack thereof, and whether or not you trust us.

Also a political question, do you feel that an atheist should be allowed to be the president of your home country.

I'd also like people to explicitly state if they have atheists friends and whether or not the relationship changed when you realized your friend was an atheist.

PropellerAds

Peace,

My mother is a very strong atheist, and my father and both sisters are agnostic.

I don't really have an opinion of you at all, Just that you have your beliefs and I have mine.

I love my family very dearly despite the fact that they do not believe in any religion, and nothing can change the fact that they are my family.

So I tend to be pretty tolerant of atheists/agnostics, as long as they don't attack Islam, questioning is okay, but attacking is not.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.

Peace out.

Duffman,

Atheism is a theory which makes the perfect lifestyle for an atheist without bounding him/her to any religious customs, rules and belief.

Lakum din akum walyedeen!

Peace.

Just curious about the views that the non atheists have of the atheists. Agnostic atheists in particular. Just curious as to what you guys think made us the way we are, what our morals are made of, sense of responsibility, overall friendliness or lack thereof, and whether or not you trust us.

Also a political question, do you feel that an atheist should be allowed to be the president of your home country.

I'd also like people to explicitly state if they have atheists friends and whether or not the relationship changed when you realized your friend was an atheist.

Hmmm, well .

Cant give you one fixed answer.

I know mainly 2 athiests who actually care for politics and morals etc.

one is very understanding and respects anything i tell him about Islam,

the other believes religion is a fairy tale and that people who follow religion are deluded and that religious morals are foolish, example:

the whole debate about equality with the genders. Yes in Islam we believe that men and women are equal but not 50:50

its like, a man and a woman give a test. the man gets 60% and the woman only gets 40%. Then they both give a second test, the man only gets 40% this time, and the woman gets 60%. So we are equal, but in different areas, to balance it and eventually get an over all 100%. ( i dont know if that explains what i mean well)

but 50:50 would be the case of , if a man can walk around topless, so can a woman, this is the "equality" Islam doesnt agree with.

now ofcourse not all athiests will believe in what that guy believes, they will also have differing views.

personally i dont feel having an athiest presidant or whatever would be good for a muslim naiton. Muslim nations are corrupt enough under Islamic rule, let alone the chance of someone who follows Islamic morals less (however, like i said, one of my athiest friends does not oppose any religious morals etc, so im not saying that if an athiest came to power he would be evil etc)

Salaam,

'all religious people are utterly deluded, religion is nothing but a comfort blanket and religion is almost always evil, teaching religion to children is a form of child abuse, all religious people are brainwashed' atheists annoy me as much as religious nuts. They would tend to be the people who won't even accept that there is a slight possibility of a God (rather than the rest of atheists who, in my experience, merely think it highly, highly unlikely).

I don't quite understand how someone can believe God doesn't exist (I know this example is insulting, there isn't meant to be a parallel, it's just all I can think of to illustrate 'lack of comprehension') similar to I can't understand how some people believe other people, because of race, are 'lower' than them. I just don't get how that person's mind works in that regard.

Friendliness and trust are irrelevant, I don't classify people on these grounds on a factor of religion (or lack of it). Gender, on the other hand...

Morals: Nowhere in any Holy Book does it stop people running into a crowded theatre and yelling 'fire', but we all know that that is wrong. We can derive morality without religion, therefore, but in my view, religion acts as a reminder. Especially when the religion contains a belief of judgement. I think forgiveness must be harder for atheists as this world is all. The forgiveness of the Amish community where the school kids were shot is an example. If there was a similar atheist community, I think forgiveness may have been less forth coming as they don't belief that God will sort it out far more effectively than they ever could. I also think God will inspire people to do bigger things, for example, Mother Theresa or the cathedrals or the paintings in the Sistine chapel.

President, no problem so long as the current 'live and let live' religious status quo is maintained. I wouldn't want to be like USA or Turkey where secularism is enforced. "Freedom for all religions (and none), not freedom from religions" is my view.

I have a fair few atheist friends (and none of my friends are especially religious. Some, like me, go to church reasonably regularly and pick and choose on other issues). It hasn't effected the relationship, it just means we have long long debates on the issues instead (seeing as most of my friends are, like me, in the local debating society, this classes as a fun way to pass the time, not an argument :sl:)

Duffman, the same questions back at you, reverse the atheist bit into religious believers.

Nice topic.

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Scum all of them!

(:sl:)

On a serious note I personally perfer the company of theists simply cause atheists I know like to spout off about liberalism and humanism....both of which I consider more flawed than any relgion. Add the fact that atheists ino like to bash religion out of ignorance. Not that Im not above critisizing religon...just know what you are talking bout man!

athiesm is just like any other religious position, what matters is the morality of the person, not their specific religious beleifs.

peace and love. :sl:

athiesm is just like any other religious position, what matters is the morality of the person, not their specific religious beleifs.
There's no particular tag that fits all atheists. The only thing we have in common is the lack of belief in God. This doesn't create a set of rules or way of life that must be followed for us.

'all religious people are utterly deluded, religion is nothing but a comfort blanket and religion is almost always evil, teaching religion to children is a form of child abuse, all religious people are brainwashed' atheists annoy me as much as religious nuts. They would tend to be the people who won't even accept that there is a slight possibility of a God (rather than the rest of atheists who, in my experience, merely think it highly, highly unlikely).
lol, for the record, yes I do believe the religious are deluded and that religion is a comfort blanket. As I do not believe in good or evil I dont ascribe that quality to religion. I'm an agnostic atheist and dont reject the possibility that god may indeed exist.

I don't quite understand how someone can believe God doesn't exist (I know this example is insulting, there isn't meant to be a parallel, it's just all I can think of to illustrate 'lack of comprehension') similar to I can't understand how some people believe other people, because of race, are 'lower' than them. I just don't get how that person's mind works in that regard.
I don't expect you to understand us as the way you and I think are very different. Hopefully this thread sheds some light on how we think. I'd say the best way to understand an atheists way of thinking is to check out theories on skepticism. Being a skeptic is what made us become atheists - I think this applies to almost all of us. We were not able to accept what religion or theists are saying as the truth because we have a different standard of determining the truth of a statement. This standard appears to be unreasonable to the theists that understand it.

I think forgiveness must be harder for atheists as this world is all.

It is depending on our view of humanity.

Duffman, the same questions back at you, reverse the atheist bit into religious believers.
I see the theists as being deluded given the belief in god. I like the fact that religion has alot of good stuff in it and as a result the moral codes that religious people follow they are a great way to keep order amongst the masses. Prevents stuff like rape, murder, theft etc if we believe we will be punished for it. Though I don't find the morality of theists to be sincere as the justification for it seems to be reward based. I also believe the religious have a much stronger sense of hope which I believe to be a good thing.

As for running a country, I have no objection to a theist running a country but I do have objections about a religious person running a country. Though it's not a terrible thing to have a religious leader i.e. bush there would be quite a bit of room for improvement in terms of ability to make judgements.

As for my relationships with theist friends, I never really gave it a thought as discussion of god rarely comes up. When I do realize some of my friends are religious the only change is that I have to make different accomodations when we're gonna do something togather. For example for my muslim friends I'd get a pizza that doesn't have pepperoni on some parts.

Edited by Duffman_

There's no particular tag that fits all atheists. The only thing we have in common is the lack of belief in God. This doesn't create a set of rules or way of life that must be followed for us.
and the same is true for 'theists'. However all humans DO have their rules and ways of life, and this is as true for a scientific research establishment as it is for a buddhist monastery. Not that there is much difference between the two, in fact. Just less equipment.

lol, for the record, yes I do believe the religious are deluded and that religion is a comfort blanket. As I do not believe in good or evil I dont ascribe that quality to religion. I'm an agnostic atheist and dont reject the possibility that god may indeed exist.

All people except a Buddha are deluded, it is the normal state of affairs.

You do not beleive in Good?

So there is such a thing as an agnostic theist?

I don't expect you to understand us as the way you and I think are very different. Hopefully this thread sheds some light on how we think. I'd say the best way to understand an atheists way of thinking is to check out theories on skepticism. Being a skeptic is what made us become atheists - I think this applies to almost all of us. We were not able to accept what religion or theists are saying as the truth because we have a different standard of determining the truth of a statement. This standard appears to be unreasonable to the theists that understand it.

incorrect. An agnostic is a skeptic, an athiest is a Believer.

Peace. :sl:

All people except a Buddha are deluded, it is the normal state of affairs.

You do not beleive in Good?

So there is such a thing as an agnostic theist?

Don't believe in good and evil I said~ I don't have a sense of morals that sez stuff like "this is right" or "this is wrong".

I don't see how the definition of the words could allow the existence of an agnostic theist but since it seems like you have some different definitions running rite now, sure, possibily.

incorrect. An agnostic is a skeptic, an athiest is a Believer.

I take it you're part of the camp that sez "atheist believe god does not exist". If thats how u wanna define it, then I'm not an atheist.

Salaam,

I've always thought that:

The-ists actively believe in God.

Anti-the-ists actively do not believe in God

A-the-ists are somewhere in the middle.

It's a bit like moral, ammoral and immoral. Ammoral implies a certain neutrality on the issue.

But then I like words and English and etymology and stuff :sl:

(given that, I was wonderfully inarticulate in my expression of it)

Peace and Love,

DARLA

Don't believe in good and evil I said~ I don't have a sense of morals that sez stuff like "this is right" or "this is wrong".
then you are truly singular in the universe. Do you not find having enough to eat is "good"? Do you not think that someone beating up and raping someone else is "bad"?

i can understand (although not entirely agree with) the idea that 'good/bad' are not fixed entities, but that they do not exist in either an objective nor subjective sense is truly far out!

if you really do think that, i admire you for holding such an extremist position - it can't be easy. :sl:

I don't see how the definition of the words could allow the existence of an agnostic theist but since it seems like you have some different definitions running rite now, sure, possibily.

i was referring to that the terms 'athiest' and 'agnostic' are logically different, and thus if the term "agnostic athiest" is acceptable, then the term "agnostic theist" must be also.

I take it you're part of the camp that sez "atheist believe god does not exist". If thats how u wanna define it, then I'm not an atheist.
it is somewhat dificult to see how the term a-the-ist, could mean anything else.

a·the·ist /ˈeɪθiɪst/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ey-thee-ist] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

[Origin: 1565–75; < Gk áthe(os) godless + -ist]

—Synonyms Atheist, agnostic, infidel, skeptic refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic doubts and is critical of all accepted doctrines and creeds.

Dictionary(contact admin if its a beneficial link) Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

guess who the other of most dictionaries are? They strayed away from the original meaning of the word atheist simply because they authors ~ religious folk ~ usually can't tell the difference. This definition has been around for centuries and is the definition that the majority of the world applies to its minority. I take it that we should accept this definition to make it easier?

How would you define someone who doesn't believe in god and doesn't see a reason to either.

i can understand (although not entirely agree with) the idea that 'good/bad' are not fixed entities, but that they do not exist in either an objective nor subjective sense is truly far out!

I find good and evil to be subjective terms based on things that make us happy and things that do not make us happy. I see no objective reality to good or evil. I view it as things that make me happy and things that do not make me happy. These are things that exist. Maybe it's just a different play on words.

guess who the other of most dictionaries are? They strayed away from the original meaning of the word atheist simply because they authors ~ religious folk ~ usually can't tell the difference. This definition has been around for centuries and is the definition that the majority of the world applies to its minority. I take it that we should accept this definition to make it easier?
yes, its because the 'norm' is to actually beleive in God, therefore to disagree tends to lump people together. To a rabid athiest however, questioning the non-existence of God as agnostics must also do, would put the agnostic squarely in the camp of beleivers. Its hard to be the questioning sane ones in the middle. :j:

How would you define someone who doesn't believe in god and doesn't see a reason to either.

it occured to me reading this, that (i don't know if it is a problem with specifically english or just the traditional use of the terms), but the phrase "beleive in God" implies *both* an acceptance of a definition of God, AND the actual existence. How would i say "i beleive in unicorns", meaning i accept a definition of them as being valid (i beleive in how they are defined), yet i do not beleive in their physical existence?

anyway, to the point: i would say someone who lays out a belief in the non-existence of God(s) to be an athiest.

I find good and evil to be subjective terms based on things that make us happy and things that do not make us happy. I see no objective reality to good or evil. I view it as things that make me happy and things that do not make me happy. These are things that exist. Maybe it's just a different play on words.

ah, i see. Its not much play on words (i was wondering if you were actually stating what you appeared to state, i wasn't trying to be all critical to win meaningless 'discussion brownie points'), as simply differences in word meanings.

personally, i DO think there are objective goods and bads (evil is an entirely seperate question), but that there are a great deal more subjective ones, created by the individual and societies. (And philosophers/mystics/religionists).

have you read 'running from safety' by richard bach? (i think its in that book). He gives a very succinct and hard-to-argue-against position of the non-existence of evil. And indeed fully supports your position above, that there are "things that make me happy", and "things that make me unhappy".

BTW, did i mention that all agnostics smell, and all athiests have 6 toes?? Just to answer your original question. :sl:

it occured to me reading this, that (i don't know if it is a problem with specifically english or just the traditional use of the terms), but the phrase "beleive in God" implies *both* an acceptance of a definition of God, AND the actual existence. How would i say "i beleive in unicorns", meaning i accept a definition of them as being valid (i beleive in how they are defined), yet i do not beleive in their physical existence?
The statement can be rephrased as "belief in the existence of an object that has X,Y,Z characterstics". I don't really see the problem in accepting the definition of an object, then deciding whether or not it exists. i.e. a squared circle. Accepting the definition of an object does not mean you accept that it exists. Several people can accept the definition of the flying spaghetti monster but they certainly don't believe in him.

BTW, did i mention that all agnostics smell, and all athiests have 6 toes?? Just to answer your original question.
Yea, we smell like strawberries and the 6th toe is there to match our 6th finger.

the problem is with good posts , is that most ignorethem i think its because its ignored.

Hi, I just found this info in wikipedia:

Agnostics claim either that it is not possible to have absolute or certain knowledge of God or gods; or, alternatively, that while individual certainty may be possible, they personally have no knowledge. Agnosticism in both cases involves some form of skepticism.

Okay, I'm an agnostic and I think this definition explains pretty well our perception. The thing is that for many believers it's difficult to understand why we don't reckon it's possible to be sure about gods' existence. And as for Atheists, they believe no god exists so that makes it a religion more that a philosophy. The lack of prove doesn't mean something isn't real that is why I'm not atheist. But I must tell you being agnostic is almost as being atheist because I don't pray, I don't go to church, I'm not supersticious or anything like that. Of course there are different types of agnostics and atheists, but the only important thing is to know that they aren't the same thing.

Cristi. :sl:

I'm an atheist/apostate. A choice I made after I started posting here and cited Islam as my religion on my profile (to answer that question in advance) I know the original post was directed at religious peoples' views on atheism but I thought I might as well take the oppurtunity to state my reasons for leaving Islam and becoming an atheist which may shed light on the matter.

I find it much easier to define athsiem by explaining the flaws in an individual's belief process which makes him believe in God rather than to disprove the existence of God (which is impossible) To any person who believes in an organized religion and KNOW that their God is the only God I would put it like this; If you were born into a Christian family you would KNOW that the Bible is the only word of God, if you were born into a Muslim family you would KNOW that the Quran is the only word of God, if you were born in Ancient Greece you would KNOW that all the Universe's literal elements were supervised by any number of primordial gods, etc. The only reason you know anything in relation to ideological/moral beliefs is because you were more likely than not societally conditioned to do so, after which point your opinions of other, differing worldviews are measured against your own which you inherently have a personal investment in maintaining so as not to undergo an ideological crisis. The only reason any other religion is "wrong" and yours "right" is because other religions are not YOUR religion and your opinions on them would exist simply to reinforce your own beliefs. It would be like a pschyatrist psychoanalyzing themselves. In other words impossible to do so without mass levels of bias coming into play.

The main difference between Religion and Atheism is that Religion satisfies inherent human emotion (fear of death, fear of the unknown) whereas Athiesm gives absolutely no gratification to those same needs and does not purport to have any answers to them whatsover. Belief in God can be recreated in a lab. Atheism can't; people get no benefits in believing the only garuntee they can recieve from death is becoming a corpse and eventually disentegrating into nothing. Usually the harder thing to believe is more likely the truth (thats my belief anyways) To this the obvious response from a Religious person would be that Athiests believe what they believe so that they can do whatever they wish without guilt and hold no moral code whatsoever. To this my personal response would be as such; I am an atheist yet I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't believe in premarital sex, have never killed anyone, etc. Exlpain that.

MasjidM, I have to disagree with you (I'm sure you would expect this now, since I'm the theist and you are well, the atheist).

People do not "know" something is right because they were born into it. They "accept" it, blindly I should add. If you are right, then how do you explain that people (a good deal of them) leave religions and convert to others? In fact, you are now one of those statistics; you've left Islam. If you are right, then why did you not "know" it was right anymore?

I'm not criticizing or intending to offend, but as a Muslim, it is my inherent duty and obligation to set the record straight.

I am an atheist yet I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't believe in premarital sex, have never killed anyone, etc. Exlpain that.

You aren't the first atheist who doesn't drink, do drugs (how many actually do?), have premaritcal sex, or kill someone.

As a former Muslim, you should know that that is not what seperates Muslims and non-Muslims. What really does is the belief (or lack of it) in God. Atheists have chosen to be blinded to the existance of God (we all know this is true, considering they go around saying "God does NOT exist!") and therefore, whatever good that they do in this world is not for the sake of God.

Just out of curiousity; by "atheist", do you mean that you now believe that God does not exist?

Salam.

I find Atheist/Agonostics to be emmm..... educated to the level of getting confused and confusing others. They use 'A' then 'B' then 'C' then 'Y' then 'O' then 1, 2 7, 8, 9. Then VII, V, XI, etc etc etc etc and then clearly prove that all alphabets numbers etc are all relative terms and eventually can prove that language is not a required thing for any human to progress. Which again is kind true but again its not.

However my point that i can read an Aetheist for a while and then i loose touch of what exactly he is trying to say. He goes around in circles and circles. Like i feel an aethiest can prove i am dumb. How? He will look at my test scores. 98/100 NAH !!! you arent so smart. Then he will put me in a hedge maze like the one in harry potter movie. And i will loose my mind in it. When i come out he will say "i told you you wernt so smart". I would convieneintly say to him. "You go your way and i go mine"

The two most important factors i can never understand.

1. There is no God. For me its like there is no Bill gates and Windows happened due to a a big bang. Or Computers which are made of purely earthly elements (just like us humans) are an act of elements joining together as a result of something called nature.

Atheism can't; people get no benefits in believing the only garuntee they can recieve from death is becoming a corpse and eventually disentegrating into nothing

I cant imagine, that if i was to be raped. And the rapist was not to be convicted. he will die the same death that i will. My pain and agony in this life has the same end as his fun and desires in this life, a corpse rotting. Esentially making both our lives different and opposite but our ends the same. While i live my life in agony and have no recourse. The rapist lives his life in happiness (believing he goes on doing it). Some told me that the law of nature will make sure that the rapist too lives his life in agony. BUT THEN

Say if an aethiest's child or wife was hit by a speeding, drunk driver. The aetheist may wish to have retribution from the govt or some compensation if the driver was Paris Hilton. At this time the aethiest may not use the law of nature argument. Actually as i read this i think an aethist can twist this argument too.

Maan as i said " he goes his way i go mine"

People do not "know" something is right because they were born into it.

Yes, for the most part, they do. May I ask, are you a born Muslim or a convert? If you were born into a Muslim family and still consider yourself a Muslim, do you imply that this was simply a coincidence? That no parental/societal pressure was put on you from your environment and that Islam was a choice you made entirely on your own, and that you just happened to choose the same religion as your parents? I don't mean to condescend in anyway, I am just trying to make a point.

If you are right, then how do you explain that people (a good deal of them) leave religions and convert to others? In fact, you are now one of those statistics; you've left Islam. If you are right, then why did you not "know" it was right anymore?

Yes, but most don't. In the grand scheme of things the vast majority of Muslims were born into Muslim families, Christians into christian families, etc. Converts are in the small minority and don't really represent and shift in mass conciousness and for the most part isn't even worth mentioning. And regardless every religion has its own converts, reverts, apostates, for whatever reasons. Converts prove nothing as to the validity of a religion. All they do is prove that an individual decided to change religions for such and such reason.

Converts are in the small minority and don't really represent and shift in mass conciousness and for the most part isn't even worth mentioning.

Emmm i disagree........

The shift from Judiac Laws to christian sprit or the shift from Pagan rituals to faith in one God. Is worth mentioning.

I cant imagine, that if i was to be raped. And the rapist was not to be convicted. he will die the same death that i will. My pain and agony in this life has the same end as his fun and desires in this life, a corpse rotting. Esentially making both our lives different and opposite but our ends the same. While i live my life in agony and have no recourse. The rapist lives his life in happiness (believing he goes on doing it). Some told me that the law of nature will make sure that the rapist too lives his life in agony.

Yes, for the record, I believe that what you have stated, albiet sarcastically, is most likely the case (sad as it may be) There is nothing to suggest otherwise, other than wishful thinking, which is exactly what you have subconciously conveyed in the above quote. You find it hard to believe that a rapist will eventually meet the same end as you, so you believe in some post-death divine justice which will conveniently tie up any loose ends; a system which there is no reason to believe even exists other than because you want it to. Infact, you essentially have verbalized a thought process which serves more as an argument FOR athiesm rather than the contrary. I believe that it is such thinking that leads people to a believe in a divine creator; again fear of the unknown, fear or disorder, fear of death etc.

The shift from Judiac Laws to christian sprit or the shift from Pagan rituals to faith in one God. Is worth mentioning.

How so?

Edited by MajidM

Salaams peeps,

after which point your opinions of other, differing worldviews are measured against your own which you inherently have a personal investment in maintaining so as not to undergo an ideological crisis.

Really? What if that "personal investment" is actually truth?

The only reason any other religion is "wrong" and yours "right" is because other religions are not YOUR religion and your opinions on them would exist simply to reinforce your own beliefs. It would be like a pschyatrist psychoanalyzing themselves. In other words impossible to do so without mass levels of bias coming into play.

Truth is truth. If you have reason to believe something is true, then other ideologies are false. What's the big deal?

The main difference between Religion and Atheism is that Religion satisfies inherent human emotion (fear of death, fear of the unknown) whereas Athiesm gives absolutely no gratification to those same needs and does not purport to have any answers to them whatsover.

Atheism satisfies man's characteristics of defiance and grandeur, to believe he is the master of his own fate and there is no higher obligation on him. Gratification comes in many forms.

Belief in God can be recreated in a lab. Atheism can't; people get no benefits in believing the only garuntee they can recieve from death is becoming a corpse and eventually disentegrating into nothing.

You underestimate people. It's incredibly easy to believe that this is the only life and there is nothing more, we as Muslims fight the urge to behave like this everyday.

Usually the harder thing to believe is more likely the truth (thats my belief anyways)

Then why have you opted to believe in the easier ideology? It is harder to accept that your decisions will take you to the eternal Fire, than to believe you will disentigrate into nothing.

To this the obvious response from a Religious person would be that Athiests believe what they believe so that they can do whatever they wish without guilt and hold no moral code whatsoever.

Atheism frees people from the burden of a deeper responsibilty of this world. Good morals and behaviour are not the only requirements of religion. To believe there is no purpose to this life, and a Divine Presense does not exist is a manifestation of grandeur. We are a magnificent product of evolution, we have intellect and it is silly to believe otherwise. Only theists go to sleep knowing that the truth is a burden, an obligation, a necessity. An atheist sleeps well with no such burden.

To this my personal response would be as such; I am an atheist yet I don't drink, don't do drugs, don't believe in premarital sex, have never killed anyone, etc. Exlpain that.

This is your fitrah and your good upbringing. Morals can be derived without a religion.

Yes, for the most part, they do. May I ask, are you a born Muslim or a convert? If you were born into a Muslim family and still consider yourself a Muslim, do you imply that this was simply a coincidence? That no parental/societal pressure was put on you from your environment and that Islam was a choice you made entirely on your own, and that you just happened to choose the same religion as your parents? I don't mean to condescend in anyway, I am just trying to make a point.

I don't know about Layna, but I was born in a Muslim family, and taught about Islam. So although I was lucky to be born Muslim, it wasn't luck that I remained in the religion. I could have apostated, like yourself, when I reached an age of understanding but I didn't.

Peace