Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Christianlady

The Quran

Ok, I'm taking a deep breath and going to plunge into a field I'm not a student of... the Quran.

Those who know me on other forums know that I love the Bible, that I study it ever since I've repented of my sins, and most importantly (to me) I believe that it contains God's Word.

Ok, I don't want anybody to disrespect my beliefs or the collection of writings that I believe is from God to us; that's not what this is about.

I don't like disrespecting what others believe because I believe (in the Bible) God has shown that is wrong and not truly living for Him when one does that.

Now, about the Quran - first of all is that how to write it in English or Koran?

Also, where should I start reading? at the begninng? And what English translation -cause Arabic is just pretty scribbles to me seeing as I can't read or understand it, and no I am not wanting to learn Arabic right now... (am in summer school and Arabic is not on the agenda today... :sl: I've read the Quran before but it was a long time ago.

Peace and God bless :sl:

PropellerAds

Peace Christianlady,

I think a good place to start reading the Qur'an (for a Christian) in order to have an immediate sense of Islamic theology would be Surah Mariam (sp Miriam, Mary, Meriem) and then read to the end and then go back to the begining. The reason for this is that the second chapter of the Qur'an (surah tul Baqara "the Cow") is the longest chapter in the Qur'an and it primarily deals with inheritance laws and contracts. This is a very important issue to Muslimsm but its really not going to be the meat and potatoes of what you are most likely interested in reading.

As for translation, I recommend "Qur'an, A new translation" by Thomas Cleary.

Insh'Allah I hope that helps,

ms.biss

Hye Christian Lady (E) Now you probably know who I am, hehe, alhamdulillah (All praise is to Allah) I know you love and respect us for what we are and what our belief are, I pray Allah always keeps guiding you on the Right Path. I love you for what you are too.

If you want to read the english Translation online, then we have the whole translation of the Qur'an right here on Gawaher, you just have to click the link below:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=29615.html&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=29615.html&[/url]

If you want to read it from a book form which is convenient, because you can carry it around and read it while travelling (not when driving, I know your driving, hehe) but in a Train or whatever, the I recommend that you buy a translation or the same author "ABDULLAH YUSUF ALI" , His translation is good. There is also "MARMADUKE MOHAMMED PICKTHAL" translation, which you might like, I personally read it cover to cover and it's wonderful.

You take care and let us know how the reading is going. If you want the commentary (detailed explaination) get back to me through PM.

Bye for now. Your Muslim ------ umAhmad.

Commonly used Quran, word "Koran" is less used (Arabic have different phonation than English, English letter cannot express Arabic words correctly).

A good translation website for Quran that I do know:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mosque/SURAI.HTM"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamicity(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/mosque/SURAI.HTM[/url]

I do advice you to seek the aid of Quran Tafsir "interpretation" to give you better understanding of verses.

Here you can find the link:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettafsir(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

Peace

Thank You Everybody

So I'm going to read the chapter of Miriam first then if God wills. Thanks for the sites and all the ideas. :D

Hye Christian Lady (E) Now you probably know who I am, hehe, alhamdulillah (All praise is to Allah) I know you love and respect us for what we are and what our belief are, I pray Allah always keeps guiding you on the Right Path. I love you for what you are too.

Yes I know who you are now!!! Wow you are on this forum too? Cool!!! :D

If you want to read the english Translation online, then we have the whole translation of the Qur'an right here on Gawaher, you just have to click the link below:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"http://############gawaher######/index.php?showtopic=29615.html&"]############gawaher######/index.php?showtopic=29615.html&[/url]

K. Yep and i'm going to start with Miriam if God wills cause yeah MissBiss (Miss Biss are you from another forum too? Just checking :sl: has a good point I'm not all that interested in inheritance right now...:sl:

If you want to read it from a book form which is convenient, because you can carry it around and read it while travelling (not when driving, I know your driving, hehe)

Uma!!! :j:

but in a Train or whatever, the I recommend that you buy a translation or the same author "ABDULLAH YUSUF ALI" , His translation is good. There is also "MARMADUKE MOHAMMED PICKTHAL" translation, which you might like, I personally read it cover to cover and it's wonderful.

You take care and let us know how the reading is going. If you want the commentary (detailed explaination) get back to me through PM.

Bye for now. Your Muslim ------ umAhmad.

Peace and God bless ... do you have 2 sons with 2 different names or 1 son with 2 names?? :D Well anyways you have a Christian daughter whether you like it or not :no: Peace Darling UmAhmad :D

Hi Christian Lady, Thanks for all to good words, same from my side.

As for the reading of the Quran, I suggest that you read it with the open mind and keep in mind that as your belief that Bible is the Book of Allah, we believe it too, and added to it we believe the Qur'an to be the Final words of Allah, so while you are reading, give it the respect it deserves as you would do to the Bible. I know you will take my advice, in fact I know even without me telling you, you would show respect to it.

I was always taught this and have taught to my children that "If you want to gain knowledge from something then give due respect to the Source from which you are learning".

Enjoy reading, and get back with any ideas you have or any questions you might have, so they can be cleared up or discessed.

Take care, love and duaas, umAhmad.

PS: BTW. It's 2 sons with different names. trying to keep everyone happy. heheh.

Edited by umAhmad

Hi Christian Lady, Thanks for all to good words, same from my side.

Hi Umma :j:

As for the reading of the Quran, I suggest that you read it with the open mind and keep in mind that as your belief that Bible is the Book of Allah, we believe it too, and added to it we believe the Qur'an to be the Final words of Allah, so while you are reading, give it the respect it deserves as you would do to the Bible. I know you will take my advice, in fact I know even without me telling you, you would show respect to it.

Yeah that's very good advice to have an open mind. Sometimes when approaching writings from a different belief, that is very difficult to do, so thanks for your advice. I will ask God to give me wisdom and an open mind while reading, and yeah I do respect the Quran even though I think respect does not have to mean agree with. I mean, I respect my parents but I still disagree with my Dad on which is better, 2% milk or skim fortified milk. :sl: (I like skim - Dad and I've had many a discussion on that and whether it would come from my money or his ..) anyways... that's just a silly exampe. :no:

I was always taught this and have taught to my children that "If you want to gain knowledge from something then give due respect to the Source from which you are learning".

Cool, I'll teach my kids that if God wills I ever have any, though I teach kids right now... I'll tell them that. I leave my job this Friday. :D I'm so sad... will miss the little darlings terribly, but I'm going to help my sis who's going to give birth very soon, and she has a year old who is a very active crawler!!! So I'm going to help her for a little bit if God wills...two sons... hmmm. who am I thinking of? :sl:

Enjoy reading, and get back with any ideas you have or any questions you might have, so they can be cleared up or discessed.

Yes maam.

Take care, love and duaas, umAhmad.

Equally :D

PS: BTW. It's 2 sons with different names. trying to keep everyone happy. heheh.

Yeah good luck with that. :D