Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
believer6

Music, What Do We Do?

prophet muhammad (pbuh) put his fingers in his ear when there was music playing. what do i do if there is music in my workplace? do i put my fingers in my ear the hole time?

Edited by believer6

PropellerAds

Aslaam Alaikum Warahmatulhi Wabarakatuhu!

Thinking of this so many times myself, I have never come up with a complete solution. And forget outside, in my home music is constantly playing. despite how many times I tell them.. I thought of taking an mp3 player with me and playing it whenever i heard music, haven't tried it at school yet. I guess some really tiny ear plugs could be an option? They can at least faint out the music... What I do right now is that I analyze the music. Its actually quite shocking because almost every song I hear has some kind of hidden message...its led me to really dislike music. I also try and find some morals in the song and relate it to Islam some how. It kind of opens your eyes. Insha'Allah I want to move from here as soon as I can so my problem is temporary - but since your work is here, its a whole new story. But, if you can do the analyzing, alhumdullilah, you will find yourself much less effected by music as compared to before, because you listen more to the words than the music. Unless it is pure instrumental - then I guess you could think of it as music from Jannah (except that would be much better) Sorry I can't really help, but like I said, i can't come up with anything better. i would love an answer to this too! The worst is when your family does it ... Oh, what about asking a scholar or your local imam? They might have some good answers. Insha'Allah I think Ill go this week and ask :sl:

Walaikum Asalaam!

Yaa, never did get the no music things for you Muslims living in the west. There's music everywhere, in stores, at work, in elevators, at school, in restrooms, in restaurants, even on the street!

I dunno, is there any extemption to the no music rule then? as it would seem impossible to live out your life in a western country w/o running into it

Music depends on what you listen. If it is about not some sexual things,shame things or bad things which make you feel getting have some bad feelings which are not halal in Islam, then there is no problem..Muhammad (saw) once was watching a traditional wedding celebration with Aisha, theres a hadith about it..and then He asked her if it is enough, when Aisha said yes, they left there...Its about what music gives as a message actually.

We were discussing me and layna the issue on how a person is judged and it seems that you are judged on the intention of your act(intention + act) , hence you shouldn’t worry if you listen to music unintentionally , a good example to give that if you were fasting and you eat or drink by error your fasting is considered correct .

Al anaam 6,54:

When those come to thee who believe in Our Signs, say: "Peace be on you; your Lord hath inscribed for Himself (the rule of) Mercy: verily, if any of you did evil in ignorance, and thereafter repented, and amended (his conduct), lo! He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

:sl:

You have to judge these scenarios on a case by case basis. Don't go to the point where the religion simply becomes overwhelming. If you are in a place, which you can easily leave without any sort of negative consequences, then leave. However, if you are at a place like work, then ask the people there not to play music, and if they aren't willing to comply, continue your work without putting fingers in your ears. I'm sure many of us see unlawful things just by walking outside, but this doesn't mean that we seclude ourselves from society.

As a side note, I think that the Prophet(pbuh) simply put fingers into his ears to communicate to others that it was unlawful and that he didn't like it.

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz

:sl:

sister muzur please post your proof, as this is a controversial subject.

Asalaamu aleykum,

Music depends on what you listen. If it is about not some sexual things,shame things or bad things which make you feel getting have some bad feelings which are not halal in Islam, then there is no problem..Muhammad (saw) once was watching a traditional wedding celebration with Aisha, theres a hadith about it..and then He asked her if it is enough, when Aisha said yes, they left there...Its about what music gives as a message actually.

There is a whole topic about music in the controversial topic-section, please go there for discussing halal and haram in music?

The question of this topic is how to protect yourself from hearing music.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=33527"]the Issue of Music in Islam[/url]

waleykum assalaam,

Asalaam alaikum warahamtullahi wabarakatuh!

Atheiest1 brings up a good point about the intention, so does brother Yonous Ibn Abd about it being overwhelming and all. But you should try to at least avoid it when you can :sl: For example in a shopping mall where there is music, wear headphones :sl:

Walaikum Asalaam :j:

were i work they always play music and they are not going to turn it off becuase of me.. and i cant wear earplugs in there becuase then when people are trying to talk to me i cant hear them..

Asalaamu aleykum,

It is very difficult to be in an environment where there is constant music. But you have a choice between listening and hearing. I do my best not to listen and pay attention to the music altough I can hear it. That way it is bearable like for example you can live near an airport and accept the existence (of noice) of airplanes and ignore them..and listen to the decibels and noice of them , frustrate and complain.

Just fill your ears and mind and heart with remembrance of Allah Ta'ala and there will be no fragment of space left in your head or body for the sounds of music, Inshallah

waleykum asalaam, :sl:

Edited by Chaand