Islamic Forum
ahamed_sharif

Afghan Opium Production 'soars' In Afghanistan

Afghan opium production 'soars'

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42425000/gif/_42425494_opium_prod_203.gif[/img]

PropellerAds

Yes, there are reports that the Taliban and the opium producers have quite a nice relationship. They stopped the trade when they were in power, but are not afraid to go to bed with the opium farmers when they need money.

The major areas producing opium are in the south where the Taliban has the most control and most of the fighting is going on. Coincidence?

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetatimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/atimes/South_Asia/IE18Df05.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetatimes(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/atimes/South_Asia/IE18Df05.html[/url]

And from the source noted in the original post (UNDOC):

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcmi.no/pdf/?file=/afghanistan/doc/UNODC-2006.pdf"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcmi.no/pdf/?file=/afghanistan/doc/UNODC-2006.pdf[/url]

Unfortunately it is difficult to curb opium growth in a nation that is so desperately poor and having to deal with an armed rebellion.

Hi Livius, I think you are a very sensible person and you know better, how can you believe everything that you read in the Media. It's so pathetic anything goes worng anywhere in the World somehow the connect it th Al Qaeda, and now the things that the Taleban had almost taken out from the farms in Afghanistan, and it has soared up again, and who do we blame, the Taleban.

Take care, umAhmad.

Hi Livius, I think you are a very sensible person and you know better, how can you believe everything that you read in the Media. It's so pathetic anything goes worng anywhere in the World somehow the connect it th Al Qaeda, and now the things that the Taleban had almost taken out from the farms in Afghanistan, and it has soared up again, and who do we blame, the Taleban.

Take care, umAhmad.

Well based on what he said... the TALIBAN need money, so they let this happen NOT that the PEOPLE NEED MONEY. but whatever like i said before livius there is absolutely NO difference between the so called US of A and the Soviet Union that had taken over Afghanistan.

Yes, but you don't just stop there. That's what make an insult. You should give us arguments why you claims such and such, so that we can answer and educate you.

It was said by the UN, not Fox News.

Yes Pashton, it is because the people are poor that they do this. It was because they were poor under the Taliban that they did it also, other than one year in which there was a crackdown.

Now the Taliban need money also and are helping to harvest the opium.

I am not blaming this all on the Taliban. I believe that even if the Taliban were not fighting that the opium harvest would have gone back up also. These famers are poor and need the money to survive.

I believe the best solution is to improve the economy in Afghanistan and to provide other options for these people other than growing opium in order to have a decent life.

Did you see the graph.

From 1996 to 2000 the taliban needed money

Then 2001 they didn't need money.

Then again 2001 to 2007 again they need money. That too they need more money in 2007.

Other ways to interpret the graph:

1996-2000 the Taliban didn't care about Opium and did nothing

2001 All of a sudden they decided to care

2002-2007 They don't care any more and let opium growth continue in lands they control

or

1996 - 2000 Taliban needed money and used opium to get it

2001 they stopped the harvesting of opium in order to increase the value of the opium they had stockpiled and made even more money

2002 they got knocked out of power and the poor farmers went back to making money

2007 the taliban no longer have their stockpile and can't affect most of the countries opium growth so they are back to helping harvest it

One interpretation I have difficulty accepting is that the Taliban was a good thing for the people of Afghanistan and that some graph about opium is an indicator of such.

Did you see the graph.

From 1996 to 2000 the taliban needed money

Then 2001 they didn't need money.

Then again 2001 to 2007 again they need money. That too they need more money in 2007.

Oh really, so are you going to feed the Afghan Kids when they stop growing opium? no well dont make predictions then. Are you somekind of a Talib expert? i am not a Talib-pro but let me tell you, the Taliban dont come to your house commanding you to grow opium so they cant take a percentage of what you earned... you do it so that you can feed you family.

I don't remember the source:

The human rights activists objected to taaliban handling of opium growers. It was said they use to shave their heads and paint black their faces and took procession of them. The human right activist objected to this act.

Taliban did bad to the afghanistan but the handling of the opium productions was their only contribution to the world community which the UN appreciated.

:sl: dear muslims

Livius.... for x99999999999999999999999999999

999 time. Call Taliban, good, normal, bad, Angels, Devils, whatever you want, but soak this.

Afghanistan was under Sanctions

the Taliban were just a rogue Militia like Government.

They constantly tried to remove the Drug Trade. But no Funds, thx to the good ol' Sanctions.

The Education removal for Females was temporary, until they could get more funds, until then, they had to concentrate Educational Funding on Males, even then there was not enough.

Surprisingly, the World started caring for Afghanistan and its people when it was time to go to War.

Not before, only when the Propaganda started rolling on TV. Which seems to have Influenced you to some extent.

like i said, Call Taliban what you want, but these are Facts, which i amongst others here, have explained to you over and over and over.

The Education removal for Females was temporary, until they could get more funds, until then, they had to concentrate Educational Funding on Males, even then there was not enough.

Why do you believe it was only temporary? Even now girls are being persecuted and even killed for attending school in Afghanistan.

Under the Taliban women faced execution if they were taught teaching to females. How can you blame that on finances? The government was punishing people for educating women, and the women were not using any government funds to do it.

It was not a financial issue, it was a social issue enforced by the government. They told women they could not work. How can that in any way be construed as being done for financial reasons? By not allowing the women to work they actually hurt the countries finances.

The Taliban was a government that demanded and enforced laws designed to keep their women at home and ignorant. I fail to see how this was in any way humane or Islamic or financially necessary.

Why do you believe it was only temporary? Even now girls are being persecuted and even killed for attending school in Afghanistan.

Under the Taliban women faced execution if they were taught teaching to females. How can you blame that on finances? The government was punishing people for educating women, and the women were not using any government funds to do it.

It was not a financial issue, it was a social issue enforced by the government. They told women they could not work. How can that in any way be construed as being done for financial reasons? By not allowing the women to work they actually hurt the countries finances.

The Taliban was a government that demanded and enforced laws designed to keep their women at home and ignorant. I fail to see how this was in any way humane or Islamic or financially necessary.

You got to be joking buddy, LISTEN MY OWN GODDAMN FAMILY RAN A FREAKIN GIRL SCHOOL AT THEIR HOUSE. THE TALIBAN DID NOT CHOP YOUR HEAD OFF IF YOU EDUCATED GIRLS. 8 MONTHS BEFORE THE WAR STARTED, THEY WERE ON THE VERGE TO CONSTRUCTING THE FIRST GIRL SCHOOL IN QANDAHAR. but this #### dont go on tv or news because it will make them look bad. You guys must be brain readers, i mean we are from the god damn region who knows more? me or you?

The TALIBAN understood the Pashton notion towards girls... its a cultural thing, not Islamic, they were to slowly educate people about Islam and then introduce new things into the country, unlike your Prophet... the all knower Bush who pushes #### into the field... heck he aint losing anything he is back in the US. ITS THE AFGHAN people that will.

If we dont like the US, thats it, we dont... calm the frick down, its not the end of the world; maybe you can stop killing innocents then perhaps we can reconsider...

The TALIBAN understood the Pashton notion towards girls... its a cultural thing, not Islamic, they were to slowly educate people about Islam and then introduce new things into the country

I have not claimed it was Islamic.

Educating women would not have been a new thing. When the Taliban took power they kicked girls out of school and made them stop working and wouldn't let them out of their own homes without severe restrictions. I don't understand how this was an attempt to educate them and introduce new things.

calm the frick down

I found that quite amusing after reading your post. I would recommend that you take your own advice.

When the Taliban took power they kicked girls out of school and made them stop working and wouldn't let them out of their own homes without severe restrictions.

The Taliban wanted Shariah education which offers an Islamically correct education. Unfortunately, before they realized this plan, a bunch of terrorists came destroying their country, raping their women and killing their children and innocents, also encourage the people to plant opiums so that they can benefit from opium trade too. I think what all of these terrorists were doing was 1000 times worse than what the Taleeban was doing: which was temporarily disallowed girls from attending Western style schools.

Wasssalam,

Yasnov

:sl: dear muslims

Livius, i cant believe you. the World does not Revolve around FOX news.

I don't watch Fox news. I have moved to London now and don't even know if I could get it if I wanted to. My sources on this are from just about every report I have read about the country under the Taliban.

The Taliban wanted Shariah education which offers an Islamically correct education.

Then why kick the girls out but let the boys stay? Why stop women from working?

Why is it that in all these reforms it was the women who had to do the sacrificing of their independence and not the men?

If they wanted them separate then how hard would it have been to do that? I don't find it credible that they couldn't come up with a method to educate both sexes in a short period of time.

I have yet to hear one good reason for them stopping females from going to these schools.

Then why kick the girls out but let the boys stay? Why stop women from working?

Why do you think this question would help boost the image of US soldiers and the Americans in general?

Why is it that in all these reforms it was the women who had to do the sacrificing of their independence and not the men?

Why do you think this question would help boost the image of US soldiers and the Americans in general?

If they wanted them separate then how hard would it have been to do that? I don't find it credible that they couldn't come up with a method to educate both sexes in a short period of time.

And? So?

I have yet to hear one good reason for them stopping females from going to these schools.

Why do you think the goods reasons you are looking for would help boost the image of US soldiers and the Americans in general?

Wassalam,

Yasnov

You think I talk about this because I want to boost the image of Americans and soldiers? What in the world would make you think that? What have I said that would give you any inidication that was my purpose?

We are deviating from the original subject of this thread.

Why did the opium production is soaring now. It is dangerous for the whole humanity irrespective of country and religion. How should it be tackled.

Taliban have done damage to the humanity, but if some can make research on how could these taliban bring down the production of opium, the same measures can be adopted now.

No politics and regionalism here.

You think I talk about this because I want to boost the image of Americans and soldiers? What in the world would make you think that? What have I said that would give you any inidication that was my purpose?

Yes, I am just surprised with your sudden interest with the fate of poor women in Afghanistan. Let's say that the Taliban was guilty of disallowing girls to have access to formal education. But then, what is your point, actually? Because I think it is their internal matters and I believe they themselves would handle it over time. Just give them some time.

Wassalam,

Yasnov

This is not a sudden interest. I have discussed this before.

I don't see how you can dismiss this as just an internal matter. That would be like saying that banning the hijab in French schools is an internal matter.

I find kicking women out of school and making them quit their jobs much much worse than not allowing them to wear a hijab to school. They don't even compare, really.

Yet people attack France and support the Taliban. It makes no sense to me.

I don't see how you can dismiss this as just an internal matter. That would be like saying that banning the hijab in French schools is an internal matter.

Yes, I agree and it remains their internal matters. Last time I checked no Muslim countries send their troops to France over the banning of hijab in French schools.

I find kicking women out of school and making them quit their jobs much much worse than not allowing them to wear a hijab to school. They don't even compare, really.

So, what if it is worse? Time will fix things. Women were only granted the right to vote in Switzerland in 1971. That's worse too. But still people are not justified to invade a whole country and topple the govt.

Yet people attack France

What kind of attack? Did they attack by bombs and missiles? Or is this just your way to deny our right to express our criticism and protests over the move made by France?

and support the Taliban. It makes no sense to me.

If people don't support the Taliban, who should they support then? Your troops?

Wassalam,

Yasnov

What tactics did the Taliban use?

We sitting on the other part of the world do not know what tactic was used by the then government to bring down the opium productions. But the world body the UN can do research and implement that.

The question here is how should the humanity be saved from the drugs.

Yasnov,

You seem to be confusing two separate issues. One is the way that the Taliban treated women. The other is the invasion.

I am discussing one issue and you keep bringing up the other one.

If people don't support the Taliban, who should they support then? Your troops?

They don't have to support anyone else. They can simply say that what the Taliban was doing was wrong, just as what France is doing is wrong.