Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
believer6

Common Question Posed By Non-muslims

here is a vid talking about Islam spread by the sword. which is false and i find it strange that anyone believes in this. look at al-quada, taliban hizbollah, are they forcing Islam on the kuffars?no! hamas?no! they let them be as long as they follow their laws. No muslim believes this so why do westerns?

PropellerAds

Islam was spread by the sword. Muslim leaders led military campaigns that conquered large portions of Asia, Africa and Europe and put them under Muslim rule and made laws that were advantageous to Muslims (i.e. higher taxes for non-Muslims, Muslims not allowed to be slaves, etc.).

But what many forget is that Christianity was also spread by the sword. Look at North and South America and parts of Asia. In fact the Christian version had a much higher cost in human life than the Muslim one did.

I think a more accurate way of saying that would be that nation states advanced their colonial aspirations under the guise of spreading Christianity. The church was complicit in the actions, in that it benefitted from the conquest, but church or no church, the powers of Europe were going to take as much of the Americas as they could.

Islam was spread by the sword. Muslim leaders led military campaigns that conquered large portions of Asia, Africa and Europe and put them under Muslim rule and made laws that were advantageous to Muslims (i.e. higher taxes for non-Muslims, Muslims not allowed to be slaves, etc.).

I don't really care for the history, but I do care for Islamic shari'ah, which you seem to misunderstand.

Slavery was not encouraged by Islam. In fact, the opposite was done, in the sense that the religious rewards for freeing slaves were so high, people were looking for all kinds of opportunities to free them.

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, “Whoever frees a Muslim slave, Allah will save all the parts of his body from the (Hell) Fire as he has freed the body-parts of the slave.†Said bin Marjana said that he narrated that Hadith to ‘Ali bin Al-Husain and he freed his slave for whom ‘Abdullah bin Ja’far had offered him ten thousand Dirhams or one-thousand Dinars. – [bukhari, Vol.3, Book 46, #693]

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, “Whoever manumits his share of a jointly possessed slave, it is imperative for him to get that slave manumitted completely by paying the remaining price, and if he does not have sufficient money to manumit him, then the price of the slave should be estimated justly, and he is to be allowed to work and earn the amount that will manumit him (without overburdening him)â€. – [bukhari, Vol.3, Book 44, #672]

Narrated Hakim bin Hizam: I said to Allah’s Apostle, “Before embracing Islam I used to do good deeds like giving in charity, slave-manumitting, and the keeping of good relations with Kith and kin. Shall I be rewarded for those deeds?†The Prophet replied, “You became Muslim with all those good deeds (Without losing their reward).†– [bukhari, Vol.2, Book 24, #517]

Narated by Al-Ma’rur: At Ar-Rabadha I met Abu Dhar who was wearing a cloak, and his slave, too, was wearing a similar one. I asked about the reason for it. He replied, “I abused a person by calling his mother with bad names.†The Prophet said to me, ‘O Abu Dhar! Did you abuse him by calling his mother with bad names you still have some characteristics of ignorance. Your slaves are your brothers and Allah has put them under your command. So whoever has a brother under his command should feed him of what he eats and dress him of what he wears. Do not ask them (slaves) to do things beyond their capacity (power) and if you do so, then help them.’†– [bukhari, Vol.1, Book 2, #29]

As for "higher taxes", I disagree with the image you are giving it. Children, women, and men who were not of able bodies did not have to pay jizya. And those who did, were exempted from military duties. Muslims (both men and women) had to pay zakat and men were still required to partake in war.

Salam.

Slavery may not have been encouraged by Islam but their was a thriving slave trade. Christianity does not encourage slavery or the killing of people for not converting either but that did not stop the Christian nations from practising it.

Non-Muslims did pay a higher tax than Muslims which sometimes led to problems. There are even periods where conversion to Islam was discouraged in order to keep the tax income from non-Muslims flowing and some converts to Islam were told they still had to pay the higher non-Muslim tax.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying that Islam endorsed this, I am saying this was the practise by some Muslim rulers.

Yes, me, I agree with you. Many of these leaders, Christian and Muslim, used religion as an excuse to conquer other people, although their motives most likely had little to do with religion.

Slavery may not have been encouraged by Islam but their was a thriving slave trade.

Yes, but when exactly had it been a thriving slave trade? Before Islam. Slavery had been a system that was deep-rooted in almost every culture of the world at the time, from Arabia to present day Europe, to Africa (I'm not simply speaking of the colonialistic slave trade). After Islam, during prophet Muhammad's time, slavery was discouraged and the treatment of slaves was a serious matter.

Like I said, I really don't care what the leaders did that tarnished the name of Islam, or even what they continue to do. But Islam does not encourage slavery, nor does it ask non-Muslims to pay a tax that they are unable to or that would greatly burden them (which is the same with Muslims and zakat).

I have to add that those periods you refer to were the periods of Jahilia (ignorance), way after the age of Islam.

Salam.

Which periods are you referring to?

Which periods are you referring to?

The rule of prophet Muhammad, the four Caliphs, and the golden age shortly after it. None of those rulers would prevent people from converting for worldly gains, nor enourage slavery.

But anyway, this is a trivial discussion and I apologize for diverting the topic, I simply wanted to bring awareness to Islam's laws, and not just the actions of Muslims. :sl:

Salam.

Peace shaid,

so in the future will historians say democracy was spread by the bomb?

Well with regard to Germany, Japan and Italy; present day historians could say that and they wouldn't be wrong.

why didnt you include America which is the country which shouts out the word Democracy?

He was talking about countries that had democracy thrust on them after they were defeated in a war (Germany, Japan, Italy). That was not the case with the United States.

I don't really care for the history, but I do care for Islamic shari'ah, which you seem to misunderstand.

I think there's your problem :sl:

Edited by Lost In Perspective

I think there's your problem :sl:

If we judged every race and/or religion by the actions of its worst people, we'd get nowhere. I'm more interested in learning and understanding my religion than wondering about the actions of its followers. :sl:

Salam.

If we judged every race and/or religion by the actions of its worst people, we'd get nowhere. I'm more interested in learning and understanding my religion than wondering about the actions of its followers. :sl:

Salam.

I'm the last person to advocate judging a race of people for any purpose. But knowing your history is vitally important in knowing why things are the way they are today.

I'm the last person to advocate judging a race of people for any purpose. But knowing your history is vitally important in knowing why things are the way they are today.

I think you misunderstood me. When I said "I don't care about history", it doesn't mean I'm not interested in learning about the history of Islam. It's that I'm not going to feel guilty and wrong because Muslims before me did not uphold proper Islamic law. Otherwise, I wouldn't be learning about prophet Muhammad and the nations after him, since that's part of history.

Salam.

Edited by Layna

Should Christians feel the same about the Crusades?

peace,

i don't think she said that this was true of all muslims, just her own personal preference.

and a better question might have been "should christians feel that about christianity?".

the 'christian' religion bears so little connection to the teachings of jesus, that it would be a joke - apart from the tragic consequences that it has caused.

peace and love. :sl:

LOL! I "love" your article, Hermado. I must wonder, where did you get it from? CrusadersAgainstIslam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)?

You're actually trying to justify the crusades, and doing a pretty obvious job of trying to make the Muslims (lovingly referred to as Saracens) out to be the bad guys. Let me show you how.

Verbs, Nouns, and Phrases Used in Connection with Muslim Armies: Bloody incursion, destroyed, invade, stormed, burned down, plundered, overthrown, sacked, nibbling (lol!), devastated, terrorized, descecrated, ravage, infested, robbing, murdering, invasion (and countless others).

Verbs, Nouns, and Phrases Used in Connection with Christian Armies: beat off, repelled, recaptured, protect, liberated, drove out, struggle.

I've learned that the best way to determine an article's attitude is to look at key words. The article clearly intends to paint the Muslims as uncontrollable, lawless savages intent only on being a thorn in the side of the collectively righteous and peaceful Christian army which only sought to protect itself (helplessly, I might add).

Salam.

peace,

come now layna, you know i am no 'friend of the Church', but surely you are not arguing that all the expansion of Islam across northern africa and into europe was done peacefully?

all of it?

peace,

come now layna, you know i am no 'friend of the Church', but surely you are not arguing that all the expansion of Islam across northern africa and into europe was done peacefully?

all of it?

lol, not at all.

But look at the words used. He's tipping the scale entirely on one side.

Salam.