Islamic Forum
~mehnaz~

The Prayer Of Need; Salaatul Hajah

:sl:

The prayer of need

Salat al-Hajah is a prayer offered for the accomplishment of a particular purpose or need. It consists of a fresh ablution done carefully, followed by a calm prayer of two rak'ahs, then a sincere supplication that states what one wishes to be accomplished and requesting Allah Ta'ala's help in its accomplishment.

Abu Darda (radiAllahu anha) relates that the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, "Whoever performs ablutions well and offers two voluntary rakahs and completes them to perfection will be granted by God whatever he prays for, either immediately or in God’s good time."

[Ahmad - Sahih]

Abullah ibn Abi Awfa (Allah be pleased with him) relates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “Whoever has a need with Allah, or with any human being, then let them perform ritual ablutions well and then pray two rakats. After that, let them praise Allah and send blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace). After this, let them say,

The hadith has some weakness, but it is slight: such hadiths are acted upon for virtuous deeds (fada'il al-a'mal) by general agreement of Sunni scholarship

áÇ Åöáóåó ÅöáÇ Çááøóåõ ÇáúÃóáöíãõ ÇáúßóÑöíãõ ÓõÈúÃóÇäó Çááøóåö ÑóÈøö ÇáúÚóÑúÔö ÇáúÚóÙöíãö ÇáúÃóãúÃõ áöáøóåö ÑóÈøö ÇáúÚóÇáóãöíäó ÃóÓúÃóáõßó ãõæÌöÈóÇÊö ÑóÃúãóÊößó æóÚóÒóÇÆöãó ãóÛúÃöÑóÊößó æóÇáúÛóäöíãóÉó ãöäú ßõáøö ÈöÑøò æóÇáÓøóáÇãóÉó ãöäú ßõáøö ÅöËúãò áÇ ÊóÃóÚú áöí ÃóäúÈðÇ ÅöáÇ ÛóÃóÑúÊóåõ æóáÇ åóãøðÇ ÅöáÇ ÃóÑøóÌúÊóåõ æóáÇ ÃóÇÌóÉð åöíó áóßó ÑöÖðÇ ÅöáÇ ÞóÖóíúÊóåóÇ íóÇ ÃóÑúÃóãó ÇáÑøóÇÃöãöíäó

[using large font size is not allowed]

La ilaha ilAllahul Halimul Karim. SubhanAllahi Rabbil 'rshil adheem. Alhamdulilahi Rabbil 'alameen. As'aluka mujibaati rahmatik. Wa aza'ima magh-firatik. Wal ghanimata min kulli birr. Was salamata min kuuli ithm. La tada' li dhamban illa ghafartah. Wa la hamman illa far-rajtah. Wa la hajatan hiya laka ridan illa qadaytaha. Ya arhamar rahimin.

There there no god but Allah the Clement and Wise.

There is no god but Allah the High and Mighty.

Glory be to Allah, Lord of the Tremendous Throne.

All praise is to Allah, Lord of the worlds.

I ask you (O Allah) everything that leads to your mercy, and your tremendous forgiveness, enrichment in all good, and freedom from all sin.

Do not leave a sin of mine (O Allah), except that you forgive it, nor any concern except that you create for it an opening, nor any need in which there is your good pleasure except that you fulfill it, O Most Merciful!â€

The prayer of need is very simple: It is essentially to raise one's need to Allah Most High, by performing ritual ablution (wudu), praying 2 rakats (or four), and then making whole-hearted dua to Allah. If one uses the abovementioned Prophetic supplication, or other similar supplications transmitted from the Beloved Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace), it is best. [ibrahim al-Halabi, Sharh Munyat al-Musalli; al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya; Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

The inward manners of supplication is exhibiting our neediness and absolute slavehood to Allah, consigning one's matters to Allah, and knowing that the only one who gives or benefits is Allah Most High. With this, one should be certain that Allah Most High answers our duas, but in the way He knows is best for us.

When circumstances do not permit us to pray 2 rakats, one should still turn to Allah in supplication, raising one’s needs to Him, for He answers our supplications and loves being asked.

And Allah alone gives success.

• Like 1

PropellerAds

:j:

:no: Dear sister :sl:

Some excellent advice.

:j:

:no: for sharing this excellent info with us sis :sl:

look at this:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10387/hajah"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10387/hajah[/url]

Asalam-o-elkm Mehnaz:-) I hope you're doing good.Jazak Allah for giving us info about this great prayer. You know I've always wanted to read it but I never knew how to , But now that you've posted it I will try InshAllah.

look at this:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10387/hajah"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamqa(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/en/ref/10387/hajah[/url]

:no: sister

I already stated one hadith in my initial post ^ was weak. That doesn't negate the fact that it this prayer essentially fulfils what the Prophet :j: asked us to do here:

Abu Darda (radiAllahu anha) relates that the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said, "Whoever performs ablutions well and offers two voluntary rakahs and completes them to perfection will be granted by God whatever he prays for, either immediately or in God’s good time."

[Ahmad - Sahih]

Supplication is supplication at the end of the day. No one will be punished for reading this prayer; for consigning their affairs to their Creator with a voluntarily prayer and praising Him.

Any supplication can be a virtuous supplication as long as it does not introduce shirk of any kind (major or minor). As stated, a weak hadith can be acted upon if it leads to a virtuous action. Take for instance that Imam Nawawi complied the 40 hadith based on a weak hadith that states

The Messenger of Allah (saw) said:

Whosoever memorizes and preserves for my people forty hadith relating to their religion, Allah will resurrect him on the Day of Judgment in the company of jurists and religious scholars.

I'm sorry, I don't have the mukhrij for this hadith, but it is a weak hadith. Even still, there is nothing haram when acting upon this... quite the contrary actually.

:sl: for sharing this.

Isn't it just best to pray Istikhara rather than falling into something that could be an innovation?

Some Sisters before have told me to pray saltul hajah and when I have asked knowledgable people about this prayer they have warned me not to do it so I don't.

And looking at the evidences I'd rather not pray it.

Really I don't think we should follow weak or rejected or fabricated Ahadith so easily we really have to be careful of what we do in our deen and not to be so blind, because every innovation can lead to becoming astray.

Sorry double post.

Edited by Tamarbutah

Alsalamu Alikum

Question:

I have heard about Salatul-Hajah (The prayer of need) and Salat Hifzul Qur’an (The prayer of Qur’an memorization) - are these prayers or not?

Answer:

They are both incorrect; neither Salatul-Hajah nor Salat Hifzul-Qur’an are correct, because it is not possible to confirm such acts of worship except by some legal evidence and there is no legal evidence by which to make them lawful.

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen

Fataawa Islamiyyah, DARUSSALAM, vol.2 p.314

Source: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetfatwaislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=780"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetfatwaislam(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fis/index.cfm?scn=fd&ID=780[/url]

Wassalam

Oh for Gods sake.

Why are Muslims so uptight sometimes?

Ultimately this is is just ibadah. So what if it doesn't lead to your chosen need to be fulfilled? Would you be punished for trying? It hardly falls into the category of other questionable acts that are more fitting of the term 'bidah'.

I'm sorry, I don't have the mukhrij for this hadith, but it is a weak hadith. Even still, there is nothing haram when acting upon this... quite the contrary actually.

exactly my point.

:sl: sis.

The hadith has some weakness, but it is slight: such hadiths are acted upon for virtuous deeds (fada'il al-a'mal) by general agreement of Sunni scholarship

as-salaamu_"alaykum

The hadiyth might be weak but it is strong in truth.

wa"alaykumus_salaam

Do not leave a sin of mine (O Allah), except that you forgive it, nor any concern except that you create for it an opening, nor any need in which there is your good pleasure except that you fulfill it, O Most Merciful!â€

The prayer of need is very simple: It is essentially to raise one's need to Allah Most High, by performing ritual ablution (wudu), praying 2 rakats (or four), and then making whole-hearted dua to Allah. If one uses the abovementioned Prophetic supplication, or other similar supplications transmitted from the Beloved Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace), it is best. [ibrahim al-Halabi, Sharh Munyat al-Musalli; al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya; Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

The inward manners of supplication is exhibiting our neediness and absolute slavehood to Allah, consigning one's matters to Allah, and knowing that the only one who gives or benefits is Allah Most High. With this, one should be certain that Allah Most High answers our duas, but in the way He knows is best for us.

When circumstances do not permit us to pray 2 rakats, one should still turn to Allah in supplication, raising one’s needs to Him, for He answers our supplications and loves being asked.

And Allah alone gives success.

Allah knows best. I think, while praying these two Sunnah Rak'ats and communicating with Allah, it is also an excellent time to say one's supplications/du'as against the non-Muslim evildoers who keep mistreating you unjustly. Allah always hears those Muslims who earnestly call upon Him through du'as and daily prayers.

Thank you Muslim brother/sister in Islam for sharing this article. Always stick to the Sunnah/tradition of the Messenger Muhammad SallAllahu 'alaihi wa sallam and avoid anything that is irrelevant to Islam :)

Edited by iMusliMariam