Islamic Forum
anthony19832005

Egypt Grand Mufti: No Earthly Punishment For Apostasy

:sl:

This is a very good article on this issue.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamnewsroom(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/content/view/92/52/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamnewsroom(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/content/view/92/52/[/url]

PropellerAds
Gomaa's Statement on Apostasy

A Statement by the Grand Mufti of Egypt on Apostasy and Freedom of Religion

Cairo, Egypt

I never retracted my statement on apostasy and freedom of religion. On Sunday I published an article in the Washington Post-Newsweek On Faith forum discussing the Islamic perspective on apostasy. I affirmed the freedom that God has afforded all of humanity in their right to choose their own religion without it being imposed upon them from the outside. Choice means freedom, and freedom includes the freedom to commit grave sins as long as their harm does not extend to others. This is why I discussed the fact that throughout history the worldly punishment for apostasy in Islam has been applied only to those who, in addition to their apostasy, actively engaged in the subversion of society.

Source: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_newsweek.washingtonpost(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/onfaith/muslims_speak_out/2007/07/gomaas_statement_on_apostasy.html"]TheWashingtonPost[/url]

well, actually...to tell you the truth ..i havent read it...dont know what the punishment is...but i know its definately not what the egyptian mufti is saying

That's so funny. So you dont really know, but you know for sure that the mufti is wrong. Wow.

Salam

I, for one, am happy to see someone in Islam speaking out on this issue. Why should someone die for switching religions or even leaving their religion. Christians do not kill people who leave Christianity. We seek to bring them back in, but do not kill them. Although, one of the articles posted seem to indicate that Christians do kill sometimes, I would not call those people Christians.

Anyway, this is great news from the world of Islam.

this IS good news, and shows once again that Islam is not monolithic.

i cannot help but wonder how these discussions would be different had the neo-cons not come to power and set out to attack Islam at any price, leading with almost inexorable precision to the defensiveness of an embattled belief system. The so called 'christian' church also in its history slaughtered apostates, heretics and the like, and look at where it left christianity!

a true faith, a true believer, does not need the threat of murder to keep its members, it wins by being RIGHT, by showing compassion, by demonstrating through the life of its members what it gives to people.

there is an old saying, "let the caged bird fly free, and if it returns, then it is meant to be.". Why would a caged bird return? Because it has been given love, shelter and food, and such things are powerful motivators. Having a shot-gun positioned just outside the cage may keep that bird inside, but it says nothing for the nature of the person who put it there.

###### and sj54: do you also believe that people who convert from christianity to Islam should be killed for apostasy? Or do you believe that it is only Islam that needs this protection?

peace and love. :sl: